PDA

View Full Version : Days should come with labels . . .

Sandy Navas
June 4th, 2015, 03:33 PM
. . . those that read, "Close your eyes, roll over and go back to sleep. Do NOT attempt leaving the bedroom today."

I haven't figured out who should determine which label would be applied, nor have I decided who should be responsible for signing them.

So, last night before I went to bed I pulled a container of frozen blackberries from the freezer and left it on the counter to thaw over night. After all, we'll soon be picking fresh berries and the ones in the freezer need to be used up. Love the little freezer containers I use for them, even though they are opaque . . .

One of Al's favorite sweet-tooth snacks (he has many) is ariquipe (similar to dulce de leche). We do a 'hack' method using a can of sweetened condensed milk, slow cooked in a steam bath for several hours. So, while I'm making preparations for the blackberry pie this morning I started a can of milk for Al's enjoyment. Then I headed to the sewing room with instructions to him: "I set the timer for your ariquipe. When it goes off would you please check to see if you need to add more water and reset the timer."

About two hours later he comes sheepishly to tell me he forgot to set the timer, and also forgot to add more water, and the pot had boiled dry and milk had seeped out over the top and burned in the bottom of "MY" favorite pan, and he was really feeling bad.

Suck it up. Things happen, right? After all, he didn't start a fire, the can didn't explode all over the stove, and pans can be replaced if necessary.

The pie dough is properly chilled and ready to receive the filling. I prepared some sugar and thickening for the blackberries and popped the lid off the container, only to find left-over CHILI . . .

But, that's okay. There are two other containers and I can probably do a quicker defrost by setting the container in some warm water for the afternoon. Think I should check the contents again to make sure I have blackberries? Yeah, why not? Alas, I have two more containers full of CHILI . . .

I should have stayed in bed.

Mpyles
June 4th, 2015, 03:38 PM
Awww....perhaps some tape and a marker for the sides of those containers? We freeze everything in bags with a food saver. Write on the outside date and item. It's helped us.....sometimes it really hard to tell what it is when you look inside.....like...really...I ate that...and thought enough of it to freeze it for seconds....

K. McEuen
June 4th, 2015, 03:40 PM
Do a change up and make a savory chili pie for dinner. Add some corn, beans, cheese and what ever else you can think of. You might start a new trend.

Hulamoon
June 4th, 2015, 04:04 PM
Want me to send some guava jelly?

Bubby
June 4th, 2015, 04:11 PM
I play Freezer Roulette often. A while back I took all the 'red' stuff out and defrosted it and had several containers of tomato juice, chili and some kind of mystery meat. I always think I'll remember everything I stick in the freezer and it proves me wrong every time. I tell myself it's because we have three freezers, but I know I would be doing the same thing with one freezer....lol!

MRoy
June 4th, 2015, 04:14 PM
Bless your heart Sandy! On the bright side, you can have chili for dinner tonight.

Monique
June 4th, 2015, 04:17 PM
Chilli it is then.

Navy Wife
June 4th, 2015, 04:18 PM
When DS#1 was a toddler, he loved to play with the canned foods. Then he discovered it was even more fun to tear the labels off. We had "mystery meals" now and then. Fortunately most of the cans were fruits and veggies! You can try that with freezer containers.

songbird857
June 4th, 2015, 04:50 PM
Chili is good :)

kensington
June 4th, 2015, 04:58 PM
Chili on a day like today makes sense.

Mom23
June 4th, 2015, 05:02 PM
Haha. This sounds like something that would happen to me. I'm sure you are frustrated now but you will look back and laugh in the future. I had chili for lunch and even though it't hot outside it was delicious.

snippet
June 4th, 2015, 05:42 PM
Yep, I wish whoever you decide starts handing out those signs soon. I've had my share of those days.

My daughter burned up one of my pans years ago but I couldn't bear to part with it. Fortunately the bottom of the pan didn't warp, so I had her scrubbing the pot for weeks to get the black mess out of it.

I play freezer roulette too sometimes. I don't know why I don't label better.

Sonic
June 4th, 2015, 06:17 PM
Hmm, you need to have a child that is allergic to everything. That'l learn ya to label stuff!
(well, ok...that actually only half helps.. :icon_neutral:)

Somehow I'm kinda feeling bummed for you too. I'm sure the chili is terrific and all, but I mean who wants chili when you've been anticipating a wonderful berry treat. Chili and blueberries...doesn't get more opposite than that.
Not that I'm rubbing it in or anything.

Simply Quilting
June 4th, 2015, 06:46 PM
Could you send someone with the days label over here? At least the weather is cool enough for chili. And it does sound really good. Hy-Vee does have blueberries on sale this week.

Sandy Navas
June 4th, 2015, 07:22 PM
I have to confess that I threw the chili out since it had been sitting on the kitchen counter over 12 hours - I wasn't sure it was going to be safe to eat (it probably would have been - you know why some ethnicities add hot peppers to their food, right?) but I wasn't in the mood for chili.

We are having gooseberry pie and ran to the store to get ice cream. Only once I got home I realized I'd picked up Cookies and Cream ice cream (one of my very least favorites) and don't think it will go with the pie at all. Oh well, I do need to drop some (quite a few) pounds.

Deegles
June 4th, 2015, 07:27 PM
My days do come with labels....Monday, Tuesday, Wed.....mondays are the worst....fridays are the most hectic

kensington
June 4th, 2015, 07:29 PM
Hmm, you need to have a child that is allergic to everything. That'l learn ya to label stuff!
(well, ok...that actually only half helps.. :icon_neutral:)

Somehow I'm kinda feeling bummed for you too. I'm sure the chili is terrific and all, but I mean who wants chili when you've been anticipating a wonderful berry treat. Chili and blueberries...doesn't get more opposite than that.
Not that I'm rubbing it in or anything.

Yeah Sandy.... you NEED to have a child...

Claire Hallman
June 4th, 2015, 07:29 PM
About that burned pan. I did that recently and dishwasher soap combined with Dawn dish soap, soaked overnight and the burned on brown was gone.

easyquilts
June 4th, 2015, 09:05 PM
I'm just picturing the shocked look on your face when you discovered the chili.... My jaw would have dropped, for sure...

Yeah... Chili for supper is a good thing... With blueberry pie for dessert.

alliek
June 4th, 2015, 09:10 PM
LOL, YES I have days like that! But hey, Chile is Good, and cold berries can be defrosted in water and baked. All is good, a little more time and effort. Many blessings.

tesspug
June 4th, 2015, 10:42 PM
My parents married in 1948. Money was tight so they were happy they received a bathtub full of canned foods at their shivaree ( an old Southern custom involving scaring the bride and playing jokes on the couple) Unfortunately there were no labels on the cans. Mom said one night she opened three different cans and they were all peaches. I asked what they had for dinner and she said peaches and bread.

Carrie J
June 4th, 2015, 10:51 PM
Well Sandy, sending you a hug and an "Awwwww!" Some days are just rocks, but then again, it'll be fresh in your memory (and Al's) to try and not have a repeat! However, I did guffaw over the ice cream, it truly just wasn't a Sandy & AL kinda day!