PDA

View Full Version : Courage

mommadeb
June 4th, 2015, 02:07 PM
I am in a dilemma here and would like some input.

I have always wanted to learn to speak Russian and now I have the opportunity to do so here at the university in Reykjavik. It's only two classes a week and I can still work at my job. I got the ok from my boss the other day. I have no purpose for wanting to learn it other than it has always been a dream of mine. My application to the university has been accepted. The cost of going to university here in "Europe" is not expensive. A year will only cost me about $600 + books. Yes, you read that right. About $600.

Anyway, my question is, should I go for it? I know a person should pursue their dreams and this one is within my grasp. It is only a one year course and I would then have a BA in Russian.

I'm just scared to start school again but I need to use my brain. Cutting fish all day uses no brain cells. :icon_bored:

RockinLou
June 4th, 2015, 02:12 PM
Yes! Do it!

Juliet Taylor
June 4th, 2015, 02:20 PM
Do it! Of course if you didn't study frequently you loose some concentration and stuff like that but if you really want it you have the right engine by your side! Go for it :-)

CraftHer
June 4th, 2015, 02:21 PM
Go for it! When I'm faced with a decision I will often ask myself what would I regret, doing the thing (and possibly failing) or not doing the thing. The answer is almost always do it. Good luck and keep us posted!

Kgrammiecaz
June 4th, 2015, 02:30 PM
That is an amazing opportunity. Absolutely go for it. I am sure you will never regret it. Be sure to teach us a few words. (nice ones. lol)

amartin24
June 4th, 2015, 02:30 PM
Definitely go for it! Especially now that you have been given the opportunity!

Bubby
June 4th, 2015, 02:44 PM
You can definitely do it!!! Go toward your dream...you can make it happen!

Lori63
June 4th, 2015, 02:44 PM
Do it! You don't want to look back a year from now and wonder what if.

Sandy Navas
June 4th, 2015, 02:45 PM
We just had a WWII Vet here who graduated from high school at the age of 96.

Next question?

RiverMomm
June 4th, 2015, 02:48 PM
YES! You can do it. And you will find you are better at school now than you were before. It only takes a couple weeks to get back into the school mode. There may be days when you feel overwhelmed, but you can do it. DO IT. GO!

WendyI
June 4th, 2015, 03:04 PM
Of course you should! I mean the only thing you have to lose is a little bit of money if you can't do it...and either way you will have the satisfaction of crossing something off your bucket list!

rebeccas-sewing
June 4th, 2015, 03:18 PM
Americans have a great saying, "Nothing ventured, nothing gained." If it's a dream, and you have the opportunity to try and make that dream come true, then you should take advantage of the opportunity.

traildancer
June 4th, 2015, 03:19 PM
Yes, you should go for it. And, besides, doesn't learning stuff like another language help stave off Alzheimer's?

Granny Fran
June 4th, 2015, 03:20 PM
What a wonderful opportunity for you. $600 + books???

Follow your dream, you will never regret it. If it doesn't meet your expectations, well, you gave it your best and you will have learned something about yourself.

Education is never wasted. I support you wholeheartedly. I went back to school at 61 to change careers and never looked back.

klgls
June 4th, 2015, 03:31 PM
Absolutely do it!! I found out I really enjoy college better when I was older - love learning!

Monique
June 4th, 2015, 04:19 PM
GO FOR IT!! You may never get another opportunity.

quiltingtrish
June 4th, 2015, 05:33 PM
Sounds to me like the opportunity was put there for your dream to come true. Go for it. I always ask myself where would I be a year from now. Sounds to me like a year from now you will know Russian!

snippet
June 4th, 2015, 07:09 PM
Sounds like your way is set for you. Classes available, work agrees, and your desire. You will soon get into the swing of things and do well learning and studying.

I had a yearning to learn sign language for years but the schedule never worked. Finally it did and I took the class. It was wonderful and I learned so much. I've forgotten most of it by now, because I don't use it. I want to take another and refresh my skills and actually do something with it one day.

Good luck! or more appropriately - Удачи!

easyquilts
June 4th, 2015, 07:50 PM
Go for it! I started grad school in my four ties.... Got my Masters in Religion, and became a ?Certified Lay Pastiral Minuster, in the Catholic Church.... It took me six years, of taking two courses a semester....or was it quarter?

Anyway, it was so much fun!

You should definitely pursue your dream.! If you don't, you'll regret it....and you'll be the same age.....

GO FOR IT, GIRL!

Midge
June 4th, 2015, 08:28 PM
I say go for it. When you follow a dream to completion you will then have the luxury of replacing it with another, possibly better dream.

SuzyQue
June 4th, 2015, 08:35 PM
Absolutely, go for it! You have always wanted to do it, it is within reach and you should definitely do it~ I am so supporting of lifetime learning, from crib to death.........I think it is important to learn something new every day! You deserve to do it for you~ Go and register!~

Vonnie
June 4th, 2015, 08:36 PM
Go for it! Think of it as a hobby!

alliek
June 4th, 2015, 09:00 PM
What a terrific opportunity! YES YES YES GO FOR IT! Even if it is tough and you struggle, it is well worth the effort. You will never have regrets. Everyone here is cheering you on.!:icon_tup:

Grandma G
June 4th, 2015, 09:05 PM
I say go for it! Nothing ventured, nothing gained and think how you will feel in 10 years if you passed on this chance. Will it be easy? I'm thinking not but this is something you WANT to do as opposed to being forced to do it. And be sure to keep us posted!! In English! lol

irishrn
June 4th, 2015, 09:10 PM
Go for it! I went back to school later and was also afraid I wouldn't keep up. I graduated college when my first born was in college!! So you can do it! And it feels good!!!

Angelia
June 4th, 2015, 09:20 PM
You can do it! I did my BSEd and my MA while I was in my thirties, and I've been working at the University ever since--loved it so much that I just can't leave!

KPH
June 4th, 2015, 09:57 PM
Yes! Go for it! You'll always wonder what it would have been like. The opportunity is there, grab on and take that step!

Jean Sewing Machine
June 4th, 2015, 10:12 PM
I say "GO FOR IT"! I started back to college at 39, finished with my BA at 42, MA at 49. It's never too late to learn!

Grandma Nan
June 4th, 2015, 11:10 PM
Go for it. If you want it you can absolutely do it. I know whereof I speak. I was in my 40's when I did my BScN in Nursing while working full time and 3 youngish kids. Then when I turned 50 I went back and got my Masters in Health Studies while working full time so I know it can be done. You will miss some events because you have a project or you have to study but in the end it is worth it. Good luck.

ilive2craft2
June 4th, 2015, 11:11 PM
I hope that you go for it! The motto for my school district is something about creating life long learners. We need to continue learning new things - keeps us sharp. New quilting skills or a new language or both? Even if you have to put your quilting on a back burner for a bit while you get the hang of the schedule, I think it is something you should do. Learning and fulfilling dreams at the same time is priceless!

SallyO'Sews
June 4th, 2015, 11:32 PM
I say go for it! Have fun!

Carrie J
June 4th, 2015, 11:35 PM
Absolutely GO FOR IT! Take it from someone who went back for a degree at age 50, you will never regret the decision to do so! I promise you, you will be amazed at how much better you'll be at school than you were as a kid, and a better student than some of the young folks attending classes with you! Overwhelmed at times, well YEAH, you're learning a new skill set, but life has taught you to hang tough and keep trying, that life lesson will help you through what you perceive as overwhelming odds. Then you'll discover, hmmmm, not as overwhelming as I thought it would be! Nothing more exhilarating as your own personal "fist pump and YAY" to yourself!!

Our deepest regrets in life, are the dreams that we never pursued!

sewbizzy
June 5th, 2015, 12:44 AM
Sounds like you have your heart set on it...I say go for it...you can do it!!

sewlucky
June 5th, 2015, 12:51 AM
YES! I have applied for university and am waiting to hear if I am accepted for a two year diploma in Library and Information Technology. I finished a Bachelor of Social Work 23 years ago, but I'm only 46 (yes ONLY) and I know I want to work for another 20 years or so, but not in social work. Time to try something new and keep growing personally and professionally. You are right, use that noodle! Go for it! You will LOVE IT!!

Terri

stationarymom
June 5th, 2015, 02:16 AM
I think a woman 102 just finished her phd at another University in the states you can do it.Don't forget you only live once.

mommadeb
June 6th, 2015, 04:52 PM
I took the plunge and paid my registration fees. I also found out that my work union will repay me 75% of the fee. I gave them my paid receipt and they then repaid me the same day.

Thanks for all the support and push I needed!!! You are all the BEST!!!!!!!!!:icon_hug:

ceiliam
June 6th, 2015, 07:48 PM
Go for it if you didnt you would regret. It follow your dream

sassygranny
June 6th, 2015, 10:28 PM
Gosh, yes! Think how proud you will be when you achieve your goal. And, you can't beat the price!

Andrea F
June 7th, 2015, 08:44 AM
I say go for it, too! It's never too late to learn. As Jean, I started college at 39, grad school at 42, and now I'm a PhD student. You can do it!

Angelia
June 7th, 2015, 08:48 AM
I took the plunge and paid my registration fees. I also found out that my work union will repay me 75% of the fee. I gave them my paid receipt and they then repaid me the same day.

Thanks for all the support and push I needed!!! You are all the BEST!!!!!!!!!:icon_hug:

Good for you! :)

mommadeb
September 28th, 2015, 07:25 AM
Well, I did it. Iīm in school and let me tell ya, the beginning 2 weeks were a bee-otch! I was confused, overwhelmed, frustrated and felt like I was in over my head. We were getting about 5-6 hours of homework EVERY day and on top of that, as soon as I was done in class, I drove the 30 miles home and went to work until 4pm. It was too much.

One day, after school on my way home, I stopped along the road and called my husband, crying. I told him I just canīt do this, itīs too much, itīs too hard and I think Iīm going to quit. Well, DH has an amazing skill in that he can calm me down and put things in perspective for me. Bless his heart, he told me to see if I could take a leave of absence from work for the entire semester. He said not to worry about money. He said I know you can do this. You are smart enough. You are not quitting.

So the next morning I went and talked to my employer and we decided that I would take leave for Sept and Oct and I would go back in and talk to her at the end of October. Absolutely no issues with work and if I wanted to pick up some hours, just let her know. She is more than willing to work with me. I was so relieved after talking to her. Now my stress level is way down, I have time to get my homework done (which now is becoming easier and I do it quicker). I am understanding what we are learning and my homework is getting good marks.

So, I am sticking with it and moving Full Speed Ahead! :icon_wave:

Blondie
September 28th, 2015, 07:28 AM
I am so very proud of you! What a blessing to have your employer work with you to achieve your dreams.

SewnByBee
September 28th, 2015, 03:58 PM
I think it's a fabulous idea.
We do live a a land of opportunity,
Take advantage of the chance, while it's there
for the taking.
Knowledge is power. Enjoy learning FORUM friend. Have FUN.

quiltingtrish
September 28th, 2015, 04:44 PM
So happy that you are continuing on and bless your employer too.

Jean Sewing Machine
September 28th, 2015, 04:47 PM
I was a college professor for a number of years, and we seemed to have the highest dropout rates about the 3rd week of September. I would always counsel students to try to figure out how make it past this time and then they would have adjusted to the demands of school, work and family. There are things that must be given up, and social time and leisure activities are usually the one are where there is wiggle room. The others, work, family, school and SLEEP, need to be adjusted so everything can get done. Kids don't want to give up social life, that's why a lot of them don't make it!

Best of luck to you!

Bubby
September 28th, 2015, 05:20 PM
You absolutely need to take advantage of this wonderful opportunity! Go For It!!!!

GuitarGramma
September 28th, 2015, 06:50 PM
You write so beautifully in English; you should learn Russian, too!

ceiliam
September 28th, 2015, 08:54 PM
Good for you for working this out and bless your wonderful husband for supporting you

KarenC
September 28th, 2015, 11:50 PM
That's good news. I'm glad you were able to work it out and pursue your dreams.

mommadeb
September 29th, 2015, 09:42 AM
Thank you. :0

You write so beautifully in English; you should learn Russian, too!

mommadeb
September 29th, 2015, 09:45 AM
Our kids are grown and out of the house so no problems there. Work and school were the difficult combination. Iīm not getting any quilting done either. :(

The results from our first exam came back today and I got 7/10. Better than I expected and about what I had hoped but I am still disappointed and I donīt know why. Maybe itīs because I know I can do better. But at least with this exam, I know where my weak points are and can focus on them a bit more. Time will tell. Thanks for listening!

I was a college professor for a number of years, and we seemed to have the highest dropout rates about the 3rd week of September. I would always counsel students to try to figure out how make it past this time and then they would have adjusted to the demands of school, work and family. There are things that must be given up, and social time and leisure activities are usually the one are where there is wiggle room. The others, work, family, school and SLEEP, need to be adjusted so everything can get done. Kids don't want to give up social life, that's why a lot of them don't make it!

Best of luck to you!

ceiliam
September 29th, 2015, 10:33 AM
So proud of you and bless your wonderful husband

aliaslaceygreen
September 29th, 2015, 10:36 AM
Of COURSE you should!!!!!

SallyO'Sews
September 30th, 2015, 12:16 AM
Go, Deb, Go! So happy for you, and so glad you are getting such wonderful support from your husband and your boss!
The only Russian words I know are (okay, these are going to be my best attempts at transliterating): da, nyet, tovarich, borscht, and Stroganoff. Pretty lame, eh? :0

GaGa
September 30th, 2015, 12:33 AM
Good for you! You can do this! How wonderful for your employer (and hubby) to work with you. I had only finished 1 year of college when I got married and then I quit so I could work while my husband went to vet school. I was determined to finish some day. So --- 14 years and 5 sons later I went back. Even completed a graduate degree and am teaching my final year before retirement at a small university. It wasn't always easy trying not to miss any of my son's activities and still keep up with school but it was so worth it! I know you will be successful with this!

mommadeb
October 1st, 2015, 08:56 AM
We have our written midterm 16 October and I am quite nervous about it. We are learning so much material so fast. It is getting to be more of a self-study course.

I am stressed.....:icon_scared::icon_mooooh:

mommadeb
October 24th, 2015, 06:40 PM
Well, after two work strikes that affected our university, we finally got to take our midterm on the 21st. I survived it and got an 8/10 (85%)!!! I am so happy!

pcbatiks
October 24th, 2015, 06:42 PM
Congratulations! All the hard work paid off!

Midge
October 24th, 2015, 07:16 PM
Thanks for sharing your success on your exam. Be proud of your hard work paying off. I know you are thankful that your husband and boss are both supportive of you reaching such a long held goal.

jjkaiser
October 24th, 2015, 07:28 PM
Yay for you!!! I do not know any foreign language so I think yours is a huge accomplishment. Well done!!

Eliza
October 24th, 2015, 07:42 PM
Well, after two work strikes that affected our university, we finally got to take our midterm on the 21st. I survived it and got an 8/10 (85%)!!! I am so happy!
Congratulations, that is great! I was another late starter. I finally graduated at 50 with an Accounting Degree, so I have some idea of the work involved.

quiltingtrish
October 24th, 2015, 08:27 PM
That's awesome Deb!

mommadeb
October 25th, 2015, 04:31 PM
Thanks! Or should I say 'Cпасибо'