PDA

View Full Version : Thursday Morning

Blondie
June 4th, 2015, 06:57 AM

Hello Folksies!

So, here we are at Thursday already. Work for me in a bit, although why does every day off feel like a work day to me? Sometimes I look forward to Thursday because then everyone knows that I am at work. Know what I mean?

Yesterday was about the coolest June day I have ever lived. I actually needed a light sweater. I never saw the sun, just misty clouds all day. Between babies, laundry, last minute phone calls with instructions about my Auntie (who is arriving this evening), dinner preparations, and general overall busyness; I need to work for a day off. LOL.

Ok, let me share a real puzzle with you. Over the past 8 years I have spent more days, evenings, etc down at Mom's. While she is doing remarkably well right now (a real smile on my face for that thought), there have been days, weeks, months on end that she needed constant care. After a particularly bad bout, she went from a wheelchair to a nifty little walker with a seat, to a cane to - well, she is still using a cane for the most part. Anyhoo, my cousin was telling me yesterday that my Auntie doesn't walk well for any distance these days and she was sending her here with her wheelchair. Don't worry, I reply, Mom has 3. She keeps one in her trunk, actually. So, as I was down at Mom's yesterday afternoon, I was relaying this tidbit of news. Get ready for this.
Mom says, "I don't have a wheelchair any longer." Thinking she was losing a few more marbles, I said, Woman, you have 3! "No. I got rid of them all."
After a thorough search of the house, out buildings and trunk of her buick, sure enough she doesn't have one. I was alternately infuriated, mystified and downright aghast. I can't believe she got rid of these. Her logic was she was getting rid of non essentials. Really? And just when did you do this and not tell me? Her look was priceless. The little kid came out in her facial expression when she said, "I still have my rights. After all, you're not my boss." Oh Lawdy! Now, the conumdrum is that her house is filled with non essential and almost hoard-ish crappola. Of all things to get rid of, why those? No sense to me, considering all the trouble we had getting just the right one for her. All 3 of them. This from the woman who smiles with a real gloat about how much stuff I will have to plow through one day. See what I mean?
Now that I have that little vent out of my system, I can handle today. I sure am glad I took away all her step ladders.

Smile Folksies! It is almost the weekend! Blessings and prayers for all. Extra prayers for those who the extra boost.

EnumclawGramma
June 4th, 2015, 07:40 AM
Good Morning! Blondie I love your Mama! These are wonderful puzzles to have because she keeps life interesting! (To her for sure!)
Have a wonderful day! Hugs/PRayers and even giggles! ��

Cathy F
June 4th, 2015, 07:44 AM
Just a quick hello before I get on the road, will check in when I can. Thank you for keeping my granddaughter Marissa in your prayers, today is her surgery.

Plentziana
June 4th, 2015, 07:47 AM
Good morning everyone, Blondie hope this weekend to be a happy and pleasant work, the problems are solved with good humor and that way of looking at life that you have, wising everyone a happy gay , greeting

Catmom5
June 4th, 2015, 07:59 AM
Hi Blondie! Hang in there and continue to keep your sense of humor! I went through this with my mom too and like you I chose to laugh instead of screaming (well I did some of that in my mind). Hugs!!!!

Ginny B
June 4th, 2015, 08:04 AM
Good morning. Just a fast stop by to say hi and have a great day everyone. I have some burp cloths to finish this morning before work.

Cathy, have a safe trip and good thoughts for your granddaughter's surgery. Wow, Blondie, what a surprise to find those wheelchairs gone. Better call your cousin back and tell her to send your Aunt's wheelchair.

Looks like I'll be sharing my computer with dh for a while. Not sure what happened to his. He can get online fine and then a couple minutes in, everything just freezes. Can't do anything -- not even shut it down in the normal way. Need to do a hard shut down. Well, it is getting up there in years so maybe it's time for a new one. I'm glad I have my tablet to use also.

Have a great day everyone.

pcbatiks
June 4th, 2015, 08:09 AM
Good morning, forum friends.

Blondie, maybe you should make sure that your mom didn't trade those 3 wheelchairs for a step ladder. :D I can almost see the "look" on your moms face. Your story reminds me of a story. Our 90 year old neighbor called recently and ask if it was okay if she put our phone # down for emergencies. She told me her daughter had got her one of those "call for help" things to wear around her neck.......in case she fell or needed help. She can call 911 or us. The humorous part of this story was.....our neighbor is telling me her daughter had to talk her into wearing the thing. She said "I told my daughter I didn't need it but I would wear it if it made her feel better." She's 90 and uses a cane when walking outside and still sharp as a tack! Of course a few days ago she was out in the yard and said hello & commented that she wasn't wearing it.....with a little smirk on her face. She went back inside put it on and came back out to show me. But this is the same lady who.......about 5 years ago climbed her attic ladder to get some empty boxes even after I tried strongly suggesting she let one of us do that for her. :icon_rolleyes:

Hope you all have a great day!

rebeccas-sewing
June 4th, 2015, 08:14 AM
Sounds to me like your mom is using a pretty lame excuse for getting rid of those wheelchairs. She's a feisty old dame and I bet it's her way of saying, "I am NOT growing older. I am not an invalid. My day to rest forever is not around the corner and I will walk no matter what." I imagine every time she saw those chairs it would represent a way of life that she refuses to accept. The fact that she hoards in other ways is a pretty good indication to me that there's more to getting rid of those chairs than a need to downsize.

songbird857
June 4th, 2015, 08:40 AM
Heh heh heh... Blondie ;) I agree with Rebecca. That was your mom asserting her independence - probably saying to herself, "Self? I will never need a stupid wheelchair again - I shall remove all evidence of having ever used one!" Tell your mom I love her.

This week has been busy - we've been in revival services with a Pastor whom I've known for such a long time. Great ministry and wonderful fellowship. His wife was able to join him and a good time was had by all...Good folks, ya know what I mean? The blessing about my needing to be home most days is that I didn't end up with the usual 'revival week house' (dirty dishes in the sink, laundry everywhere, clutter...). I was pretty much able to keep it at it's usual imperfect state ;)

We'll see what today holds - I may just need to try one or two more layouts before I make the final call on the quilt. Other than that, I'm not gonna make today crazy - love all of you guys... Happy Thursday!

Bubby
June 4th, 2015, 08:56 AM
Morning Everyone,

Blondie, another sweet skirmish with your Mom. It's good she's feisty....you wouldn't want her any other way. She reminds me of my Grandma Nan who was fiercely independent to the end. I have a hunch I'm following in her footsteps.

Our temperature today is predicted to be in the high 80's with nearly 100% humidity. Now that's a real Missouri June day. They said pretty much the same for yesterday and I wore socks and a sweatshirt and used the furnace a few times. Whoever thought weather would ever be this interesting and such a hot topic of conversation everywhere you go. The farmers around here are frantically cutting hay and getting it ready to bale. We are supposed to get much more rain beginning Saturday. I wouldn't want to be a farmer this year.

I got all the rows of the curved log cabin sewn together yesterday. I hope to have the borders on it by the weekend and possibly take it to Reggie Monday. Then I will start the second one.

I have to food shop today. Our local market has a big fresh fruit sale going on and I may pop in and see what looks good. Fresh pineapples for $1.67 sounds like a good deal if they aren't tiny.

Cathy, have a safe trip.

Wishing everyone a great day.

Jean Sewing Machine
June 4th, 2015, 09:03 AM
Good morning all! Blondie, just can't get over the reasoning of a feisty lady like your mom! Loved the crappola comment! I'm still chuckling over that!

I got a birthday gift sewn and sent in the mail for my sister's birthday Saturday. Getting stuff ready to mail is almost a bigger challenge for me than making or buying a gift! But I got some mailing boxes from the post office to make things a little easier!

Hope to sew a few more things today. Getting a "clip and dip" today from my cute but expensive hairdresser! ( did any of you tune into that discussion yesterday?)

Have a great day!

Grandma Nan
June 4th, 2015, 09:36 AM
Hi folks and good morning

It is a beautiful sunny day but a bit on the cool side. I wish we could import a little of the rain you are getting in the south. We are so dry here and it has been a crazy spring. Blondiejust give your mom a big hug and tell that you love her. The days are so short that we have together just make the most of them. She sounds like a real fireball. But it is worrisome when they start getting rid of things and you are not aware though. You wonder what else has gone and what should I nail down.

Went to our guild meeting last night and we had a really interesting trunk show. This woman calls herself a modern quilter and does some beautiful work. Some a little too abstracty for me but several of them really neat ideas. She uses mostly solids and it is amazing how she makes them work. Anyway, I did pick up a couple of ideas that could be fun to try and it will also use up some of my stash.

Today my sis and I are going to FART. I have a bunch of Joann coupons and we have to go to the US to spend them. i also have some packages from MSQC to pickup at my US mailing address. (Much cheaper to send there and then pay the duty if necessary when I come back across the border. Thousands of people who live near the border do this to cut down on shipping costs.) We live about 45 minutes from the US border so we try to make it a day trip, shop and go for lunch. It is fun and we have lots of laughs.

I am working on restoring and repairing an old Singer 128 right now (what a hoot and I am self taught. I became a mechanic watching You Tube. But don't let me near your car, tee hee). There are a couple of products I can't get here in Canada so will be looking for them too. But I am having fun though.

Well I should go get ready so that I don't hold up the road trip when sis arrives. Have a good day. Has anyone heard from our boB?

MRoy
June 4th, 2015, 09:48 AM
Good morning! Blondie, your fiesty mama reminds me of mine. She wanted to be independent, sometimes to her own undoing. Give her a hug and hope she never needs another wheelchair.

It's grass cutting day here. I've let it get a bit shaggy in hopes of cutting off all the clover blooms. Time for me to take my walk. Have a great day!

Sandy Navas
June 4th, 2015, 09:53 AM
Ahh, wet here. I'm laughing about Barb's comment about not wanting to be a farmer. My wonderful farmer BIL cut hay on Monday because the local weatherman said it would be dry until Wednesday night . . . last night he was trying to give away washed hay on the ground (it rained most of the day yesterday). They still haven't been able to get enough dry days in a row to get the soy bean crops in the ground and even though corn has been planted a lot of it has drowned already. We have had a lot of flooding in the area. Al and I drove over one of the worst rivers (known for not staying in its banks) and were amazed at how much mud was over the road. Local farmers say half their fields were there. And then the skies opened up shortly after we crawled into bed and it rained all night long. SOGGY.

After some trials and errors, I'm hoping today will be my final trial with a new digitized project (my in-house digitizer had to make some adjustments on my next applique project). Started work on my polka-dot quilt yesterday but didn't make a ton of progress. Wound up taking a nap for most of the afternoon. Sure haven't been up to my usual feisty self this week.

Stay happy, stay safe, stay well, and definitely keep smiling.

Annette Ackley
June 4th, 2015, 10:48 AM
Good Morning All!! I have the day off. Need to take clothes off the line. Later, do some weed eating and work in the flower bed. Try to make an attempt at putting another quilt together. Yesterday, while I was getting ready for work, I felt something sticking in my big toe. I go to look at it and there is a long black line under the skin. I get a needle and try to open the skin to grab it with a tweezers. Couldn't get it. OK I will wait till I get home from work. Get home, look at my toe. What the heck, it moved. It is like curved. So I go back at it again. Couldn't get it. Now, I got the DH looking at it. He gets a better needle to open it up. I'm telling him don't hurt me. He tells me not to move. He grabs it with a tweezers. Pulls it out! It was a dog hair!! I'll tell you, it hurt just like a splinter. I could feel it coming out. So DM calls. I tell her about it. She tells me that the dog groomer she takes her dog to, gets dog hairs under her skin. Sometimes, she has to go to the Dr. with it. Never heard of this before. At least it is out!!

rebeccas-sewing
June 4th, 2015, 11:03 AM
It's a beautiful day in Baarn. As soon as it warms a bit the Dutch are putting on summer clothes and outside basking in the sun. That old fireball in the sky is never taken for granted in the Netherlands. I actually got some of the backyard cleaned up today. Trying to get everything ship shape before Joe returns Friday night. I'm sure he'll be beat from his sailing lessons but I guarantee there'll be a smile on his face. The man works way too many hours. It does my heart good for him to get away from it for a while. I'm sure there was much laughing and much beer drinking in the down times.

WendyI
June 4th, 2015, 11:08 AM
Morning all! Late in here again today...had an 8:30 meeting that's apparently going to happen every second Thursday. It's productive though so I don't mind as long as I can get up early enough to grab a coffee for the meeting I'm good. I get annoyed at 8:30 meetings since we don't actually START work until 8:30 and the meeting is on the other side of campus. People have no time to even get a cup of tea! So I stopped at McDonalds and got a coffee on the way in.

Busy night tonight...my washer FINALLY got fixed! The people who delivered it neglected to remove the shipping bolt the idiots! So I have lots of laundry to catch up on and have to vacuum and mop floors and just generally tidy up...my brother and his wife are coming tomorrow evening for a visit. Not really looking forward to that.

Nothing much else new...Cathy hope you have a safe trip and thinking about your GD today. (((HUGS))) to all those who need them today!! xox

Dollyquilts
June 4th, 2015, 11:16 AM
As usual, here in Houston, TX, we've gone straight from a very short spring into summer. We are going to have temperatures in he 90s today, with one day predicted to be 94. I'd love to be in the sewing room today, but I'm at my computer trying to earn enough money to pay 1/2 of my DGD's ballet summer intensive workshops. I had a big job scheduled, but the case settled. I work for court reporters, and they have trials that are transcribed immediately that pay double. That's what I get for counting my chickens before they hatch.

Now I'm trying to finish up one short rush job before another one starts at 1:00 p.m. I started my day off with a Dr Pepper, and now I think I'm going to switch to coffee.

Marissa is in my prayers for God to guide her doctor's hands and for her to have a successful, uneventful surgery.

I really need to clean up in the kitchen because the cleaning lady is coming. Does anyone else do that?

I'm so glad the rain has given us a reprieve here. We were literally about to wash away. It's almost the weekend, ladies. Hang in there.

Simply Quilting
June 4th, 2015, 12:38 PM
Good Morning! The guys are here working on putting in the shower for downstairs. I must say that I am ready for it to be in and usable. I am thankful for the tub upstairs and the shower hose that we can attach to the faucet.

I have been productive in getting stuff out of the house. There have been lots of clothes donated and some stuff has went to the storage unit. Last year, we were in such a hurry that so many things just got put in the storage unit as we thought we had two weeks to get the house on the market so we could put a bid on a house (the house we wanted went under contract, so we never put our house on the market last year), that anything that we didn't need at the moment went into the unit. So we are going to clean out and reorganize if the rain will stop for just a little bit.

Hugs and prayers to those who need them.

Have a nice Thursday everyone :)

quiltingtrish
June 4th, 2015, 01:00 PM
Dolly - I AM the cleaning lady around here. But if I had another one come in, I would do the same thing and clean up before she came, haha.

Cathy - safe trip and prayers for her surgery today.

Today I'll be working in the basement with DH. He is very good at going through things and deciding what to keep and organize/what to throw away - I'm keeping him. The new a/c and furnace is coming on Monday or Tuesday which means we have to get down there and move things around so we can take a moveable wall out. Organizing the basement is one of my major summer tasks to complete - nothing like having an expensive job needing done to get motivated, haha. By the end of today or tomorrow, I hope to have a pile to go through, a pile to get rid of, and a pile to sell. That's the way DH works and he's very quick about it. What would take me a week or two, he can do in 2 days. Thankfully, the area we are talking about is less than a quarter of the basement. The rest holds my quilt room and a bedroom. So, even though there is quite a bit in that area, it sure doesn't look like some basements and other junky rooms I've seen on the internet.

Blondie - my mom said the same thing as your mom did! I'm sure it will come out of my mouth too. But to get rid of all of the wheelchairs - maybe she gave them to someone in need.

Well, best get moving here. I've already got wash going and the dishes are done along with other cleaning lady chores.
Hugs and have a great day everyone~

ceiliam
June 4th, 2015, 01:14 PM
Morning all, Cathy prayers for your granddaughter. Blondie the story abt your mom cracked me up, reminded me when my mom fell (she is almost 90), she was weeding, sigh. Anyways we were going somewhere and she was really sore limping offered to get wheelchair . her response I dont need it, I dont want people to think I am an old lady. Ah really mom? Got to love them. Hoping to sew after massage in hour. Hope all have great day. Cecelia

SuzyQue
June 4th, 2015, 01:55 PM
Blondie----My mom was frustrating in much the same way. You never knew what she would give away or say next. I miss her so much! It would almost be worth a frustrating day or two to have her here again. I understand your pain and her independent spirit.

Sandy---yes, my farmer hubby would agree with you exactly! We got over 6 inches of rain yesterday and more today. The lightening strike this morning, took out our phone lines, along with bringing more rain. The soybeans are only half done and no way to "mud" them in for quite awhile yet. We might run out of time on these this year! It is cool and wet and soggy. I do enjoy the extra little projects we have accomplished since he is not busy in the field. I have to make the best of his nervous energy and need to stay busy. Generally this time of the year I only see him to eat and sleep. Checking projects off the list is my way of making hay while the rain pours......or something like that!

Freezer lid busted and collapsed in, so a major purchase occurred. Our electric company offers many rebates for new electrical appliances, so they practically bought half of our new one. Sweet! We barely got everything in and the door closed, but that huge job is done. No grocery shopping for awhile. BONUS!

Hope everyone has a great day! Off to chisel down that project list some more and find taller rubber boots!

RockinLou
June 4th, 2015, 02:28 PM
Hello friends! Just dropping in to say Hi! It's been a busy week here, but all is well. We head home in just over two weeks, I need to start thinking about packing more seriously... And airplane snacks....

I stitched up a few hexies tonight... Maybe I'll get the Grandmother's flower garden quilt made up sometime before I'm a grandmother?? How many 1 inch hexes for a full size quilt?? !

Sandy Navas
June 4th, 2015, 02:48 PM
Hello friends! Just dropping in to say Hi! It's been a busy week here, but all is well. We head home in just over two weeks, I need to start thinking about packing more seriously... And airplane snacks....

I stitched up a few hexies tonight... Maybe I'll get the Grandmother's flower garden quilt made up sometime before I'm a grandmother?? How many 1 inch hexes for a full size quilt?? !

7128-----------------

quiltingtrish
June 4th, 2015, 05:42 PM
I was thinking the number is higher than that. She needs to get busy.

Done in the basement for now. We rearranged all the boxed games, Christmas stuff, old computer stuff, paint stuff, etc. DH did most of the work since he can 'see' things ahead in organizing. The path is ready for our new furnace next week. He promised we will do the rest of the need-to-clean-up-area the week after the furnace is in. I also have a place to put yard sale type stuff all together so it's ready to go out the door for a sale in September.

Have to get downstairs and into the quilt room. Looks like the evening is open so that's where I'll be after dinner.

Frenchy
June 4th, 2015, 11:42 PM
Evening everyone. Can anyone tell me why life keeps getting in the way of good intentions? We are going Saturday from our house in Dallas to our old country house in Mississippi. Wanted to make a little jewelry case to take on vacation. Every time I thought I would have a minute to work on it something else got in the way. Had to finish the peach jam because the peaches won't wait till we get back. Then go pick up the grandson from school because Grandpa was out of pocket. School got out early today. Back home to make lunch. Then some packing for the trip had to be done.....it was like that all day long. I'll just take the material and everything I need with me and work on it at the MS house, I'm not giving up. Thank goodness I have a machine at both houses.