PDA

View Full Version : My house smells so good!

easyquilts
June 3rd, 2015, 06:55 PM
Fresh... Right out of the oven..... By the time my tomato bisque us ready, the bread will be ready to slice.... Not really, but I'll slice it anyway.

My husband used to do all of the bread slicing.... He could do it perfectly... I m a lousy bread slicer... He wouldn't let me near the bread knife... With good readon.

Now, I do the best I can.... And thunk of him with every stroke if the knife,,,

Time to eat, people!

Bubby
June 3rd, 2015, 06:56 PM
I'm on my way.....save me a crust of bread please.....

Genny
June 3rd, 2015, 06:58 PM
Oh Sandy...this looks delicious!!! I LOVE homemade bread...fresh from the oven.

Iris Girl
June 3rd, 2015, 07:03 PM
This looks yummy, on my way! It looks delicious!

Deegles
June 3rd, 2015, 07:13 PM
Good thing cutting homemade bread poorly doesn't take away the goodness of it. Usually you just get a thicker piece...MMMMMMMMMMMMM

Sandy Navas
June 3rd, 2015, 07:15 PM
I'll be there with Barb - like mine with some butter melted in so it drips off my chin . . . you may have truly started something here.

CraftHer
June 3rd, 2015, 07:17 PM
I can almost smell it! My husband says I must use defective yeast in my peasant bread because the longer it sits on the counter, the shorter it gets :)

easyquilts
June 3rd, 2015, 11:42 PM
Girls! Nothing would make me happier than to have ALL of you join me for supper.... Y'll come!

Sonic
June 3rd, 2015, 11:44 PM
**grabs car keys**
..love me some home made bread!!

RFREE
June 3rd, 2015, 11:55 PM
Mmmmmm.... Brings back memories of momma's homemade garlic bread she would make while we were out cutting wood for the winter. Each trip back to the house she would knead it and let it rise then out last trip she would put it in the oven and when we came home with the last load we could eat hot garlic bread and drink hot tea. Mmmm I miss those days.
Your bread looks awesome!!!!! Thanks for the memories:)

Carrie J
June 4th, 2015, 12:55 AM
Oh boy did this bring back some great memories Sandy............................love me some homemade bread, nothing like it in the world, and with tons of butter on it! On my way! :D

stationarymom
June 4th, 2015, 02:13 AM
That looks so good! Nothing like a nice fresh loaf of homemade bread.

Andrea F
June 4th, 2015, 05:17 AM
Sandy, that looks amazing. I can almost smell it. I'm getting hungry, it's breakfast time...

easyquilts
June 4th, 2015, 08:29 AM
Guys.... Baking bread is easy, and fun! You should give it a try.... You can fit it into the rhythm of your day.

Just remember.... Dough is a living thing..... All that yeast, you know.... Each batch is different..... You cannot depend on strictly following your recipes amounts of flour and liquid.... These have to be adjusted to account for the ambient room level of humidity...

Get your hands on that dough... It is the only way you will learn to recognize a good dough.... I knead with my big KA stand mixer, but ALWAYS do some hand kneading at the end, just to make sure my dough is right....

The King Arthur Flour Website has the best recipes, and the community..,Ł the Baking Circle...is the best place to go to learn... Those people know their bread!

Oh...start with a simple recipe,... You will learn about ammendme nuts as you go along.....use good flours... KAF. Is the best... I also use Gold Medal....

I'll be happy to try to answer any questions.

Store bought bread has wood fiber in it.... and preservatives....and words you cannot pronounce. BAKE BREAD!

Sonic
June 4th, 2015, 08:40 AM
She's right....it is easier than most people think (and I bake gluten free breads which scares most people senseless.)
There is nothing that compares to a fresh loaf of bread straight from the oven, not even my beloved cheesecake. (...sorry cheesecake)

Sylvia H
June 4th, 2015, 09:06 AM
Oh, that looks so yummy! I have to start baking bread again. I cut mine with an electric knife - that works pretty well.

WendyI
June 4th, 2015, 11:12 AM
My dad makes homemade bread every week...it's SOOO GOOD!! They use an electric knife to cut their bread...makes for a little bit of a smoother cut...maybe try that!

Amy R
June 4th, 2015, 11:22 AM
*flock of m* forum members travel to devour fresh bread and tomato bisque*

as soon as I start feeling well I'm going to make some. It'd be a good experience for my little assistant to learn!

songbird857
June 4th, 2015, 06:50 PM
Mmmmmmmmm :)

songbird857
June 4th, 2015, 06:56 PM
When I was homeschooling, I started making bread - bought a grain mill, found out about a grain co-op near me, and burnt out the first motor on my Kitchenaid from kneading so much dough (6 loaf batches of dough - I don't recommend it ;)). When I went to work full time, my family missed the bread so much! So I invested in a good bread machine (normal sized loaves) - it takes literally 5 minutes to put it in the machine (including grinding the grain). I'm home again, and still use the machine at least twice a week - soooo worth it!

easyquilts
June 4th, 2015, 08:02 PM
Oh boy did this bring back some great memories Sandy............................love me some homemade bread, nothing like it in the world, and with tons of butter on it! On my way! :D

And, it has to be REAL butter!

easyquilts
June 4th, 2015, 08:04 PM
Oh, that looks so yummy! I have to start baking bread again. I cut mine with an electric knife - that works pretty well.

Thanks for the tip.... I 'll try that next time.... Can't be any worse than what I already do...

easyquilts
June 4th, 2015, 08:05 PM
My dad makes homemade bread every week...it's SOOO GOOD!! They use an electric knife to cut their bread...makes for a little bit of a smoother cut...maybe try that!

That's two for the electric knife... OK.... I'll definitely try that next time...

easyquilts
June 4th, 2015, 08:06 PM
*flock of m* forum members travel to devour fresh bread and tomato bisque*

as soon as I start feeling well I'm going to make some. It'd be a good experience for my little assistant to learn!

Absolutely!

alliek
June 4th, 2015, 09:06 PM
Sweet smells of home. Soup and bread baking. Enjoy your wonderful meal. You have made some people mighty hungry for some of the same! :icon_drool: