PDA

View Full Version : Never walk into a salon without asking the price first....lesson learned

Momofmonsters5
June 3rd, 2015, 09:26 AM
I needed a haircut last night, called my hairdresser he was busy then out two days. I really didn't want to wait til friday. Googled salons with good reviews in our town and called they had a slot so off I went.
First clues:
The bathroom was called the powder room
I was offered a soda
A male surgeon was getting a cut there too
No prices posted......

SO I happily get my hair cut and my eye brows waxed and buy a hair product that of course I asked the price of first $22, no problem. My hair looked fabulous and I go to pay and she says $94 ....I think my eyes pop out of my head.....I ask how much? $50 for the cut and $15 for the wax and $22 for the product. I pay but wow talk about buyers remorse. my regular salon is $32 for a cut, which is high in my book but I pay it. We do not live in a ritzy city Im still in shock this morning over how much I spent.... My hair does look fabulous but still..LOL

The morale:
Don't cheat on your stylist, wait the two extra days and always ask the price before you sit in the chair.

Jean Sewing Machine
June 3rd, 2015, 09:29 AM
I go to a foo-foo shop with high prices, but I said that will be the last indulgence I give up after cable, lawn services, all those others! Besides, I've been with my darling, tattoo covered precious stylist since he was fresh out of cosmetology school and hope to stay with him longer still! And his prices are high but worth it to me!

Hope you got a good haircut!

Snip Snip
June 3rd, 2015, 09:49 AM
Gosh, a haircut cost $15 here. Just a regular beauty shop, no free soda or anything.

MRoy
June 3rd, 2015, 09:56 AM
I usually cut my hair myself, but decided to let the hairdresser do it last week. It was $14 for a cut only, no shampooing, no styling. I actually think my hair styles better when I cut it myself.

Sandy Navas
June 3rd, 2015, 10:00 AM
I needed a haircut last night, called my hairdresser he was busy then out two days. I really didn't want to wait til friday. Googled salons with good reviews in our town and called they had a slot so off I went.
First clues:
The bathroom was called the powder room
I was offered a soda
A male surgeon was getting a cut there too
No prices posted......

SO I happily get my hair cut and my eye brows waxed and buy a hair product that of course I asked the price of first $22, no problem. My hair looked fabulous and I go to pay and she says $94 ....I think my eyes pop out of my head.....I ask how much? $50 for the cut and $15 for the wax and $22 for the product. I pay but wow talk about buyers remorse. my regular salon is $32 for a cut, which is high in my book but I pay it. We do not live in a ritzy city Im still in shock this morning over how much I spent.... My hair does look fabulous but still..LOL

The morale:
Don't cheat on your stylist, wait the two extra days and always ask the price before you sit in the chair.

Nothing about hair here - have you always been in New Mexico? Why is that strange for me to see? Tell me you haven't been there all the time since you joined the forum . . .

DramaMama
June 3rd, 2015, 11:00 AM
HA! I started cutting my hair this year after watching a few Youtube videos. One of the best cuts I've ever had!

Soon after, I had to watch Youtube videos on how to do a men's haircut because my husband wanted me to cut his hair!

When I told my dd she should do hers herself as well (I know she'd never trust me ... I would never trust myself cutting her hair) -- at least while she's in college, she just gave me "that look".

Kgrammiecaz
June 3rd, 2015, 11:07 AM
I only get mine cut once a year because of the expense. But I will not give up my hair stylist no matter the cost. It is always perfect. I have tried more than once to change - very BAD idea.

Well worth the money.

p.s. I started my career as a hair stylist. Trust me when I say - they truly earn the money. The training is tough and the customers can many times be tougher. I left that industry quickly.

Sylvia H
June 3rd, 2015, 11:18 AM
When my stylist left the salon to start a different business with her husband, I started going to Super Cuts. She was one of only two stylists in my lifetime that really did a good job with my hair. I didn't want to spend a year or more trying out others to find one that I really liked.

It is also an economical thing for me, and I am fortunate that my hair has some thickness and body. I like to get it short, and just blow dry or air dry. As it gets longer, I might do a little styling, or I might not - depends on my mood and time available. I also stopped coloring my hair at the same time. I had so much gray, that I needed touch ups every 2 - 3 weeks! (My hair grows FAST, too!)

K. McEuen
June 3rd, 2015, 01:33 PM
Nothing about hair here - have you always been in New Mexico? Why is that strange for me to see? Tell me you haven't been there all the time since you joined the forum . . .

Iceland, if I remember correctly.

amartin24
June 3rd, 2015, 02:40 PM
Yes, I go to one of "those" salons too. I've tried coloring it myself in the past but it just never turned out the right shade of blonde. More like the wrong shade of brassy! And, I have such thick hair that I couldn't even imagine cutting it myself. I've been going to my hairdresser for about 13 years now. She does a great job and it is worth it for me. One of my few splurges on myself. Who needs a new car? I've already got "hair payments" as I refer to them. There is something true about your hair looking good that makes for a good or bad day.

bubba
June 3rd, 2015, 02:54 PM

Pretty sure she was in Germany. I believe she is married to someone in the service.

easyquilts
June 3rd, 2015, 03:03 PM
I go to a foo-foo shop with high prices, but I said that will be the last indulgence I give up after cable, lawn services, all those others! Besides, I've been with my darling, tattoo covered precious stylist since he was fresh out of cosmetology school and hope to stay with him longer still! And his prices are high but worth it to me!

Hope you got a good haircut!

OK.... I've already given up all those things, plus I don't buy clothes, or eat in fancy places anymore. But, I still "see Jack", though not as often as I need to.

Hair wash, cut and style is only $ 27....which I know isn't high, but it's high for me. Jack foes a great job, and he makes me feel pampered..... Something I don't get much of anymore.

If I add color, I pay just south of a hundred....or higher..... Depends... But I only do that once a year. Actually, this last time will have to be my last collar by Jack..... I'd rather eat....

Andrea F
June 3rd, 2015, 03:05 PM
Iceland, if I remember correctly.

I think it was Hamburg, Germany.

I used to go to a salon here and always paid a lot of money for dyeing and cutting. For the last few months my friend dyed my hair but now I need to go have it cut. I like how they cut it but I don't like how they blow dry it, so I do it always myself. Saves some money too.

bubba
June 3rd, 2015, 04:18 PM
I dye my own and have for many years.......Loreal is between $7 - $11 a box, depending on sales and that I can afford! When I was getting it done in the salon, I had to go every three to four weeks to get all my gray covered again!

Iris Girl
June 3rd, 2015, 04:33 PM
I went to beauty school many years ago. I have always cut and colored my own hair, hubbys and the kids. The few times I have tried going to a salon for a more layered back they made the layers way to long. I have baby fine natural curly hair and need lots of layers to make it poof. In January I made a promise to myself to stop coloring it was getting to be a pain in the neck after doing it since before I was 16. The top color is all gone and I have a lot of gray...much more then my Mom had st this age. Still some color left on the back, it will be gone soon. I don't regret it .It was a bit of a shock to get used to though. If I had my way I would have my hair short think just a bit longer then what we used to call a pixie cut. then it would be wash and wear. But hubby prefers me with some length to my hair...So I keep the top and sides short and the back longer.

Vonnie
June 3rd, 2015, 05:22 PM
My paternal grandmother was Irish and Cherokee - really curly coarse thick hair. I inherited her hair. My hairstylist also has Irish and Cherokee in her background. Her hair is a lot like mine and she understands it. She earns every penny on my hair. Believe me, I have had my share of bad haircuts. She's been cutting my hair for 18 years. If she's not available, I wait, even if it's weeks like when she was ill. Oh, she charges $28 for a shampoo, cut and blow dry. I usually give her $35.

Now my mother was German American - I inherited her hips and backside! LOL

Genny
June 3rd, 2015, 07:35 PM
I just had my hair cut and colored last week...cost me $96.00. When I started going to may hair stylist 5 years ago it was $50...wish I had never started getting it colored.

BethB
June 3rd, 2015, 08:51 PM
I go to one of "those" salons also. I don't always like the way he styles my hair (fixed with a brush I keep in my car), but the cut is always fabulous!! I've been going to him for about 20 years now and although he is expensive (and no senior discount), I would not change at this point in my life. It is my one "quilty pleasure".

alliek
June 3rd, 2015, 08:56 PM
My hair stylist charges me $30.00 and I always give her a $5.00 tip. Penny is a sweetheart, I followed her to another salon because it is well worth it. She is a wonderful hair stylist and friend. She is absolutely wonderful with my 991/2 year old mom! She is well worth every penny and more.

LindaKay75
June 3rd, 2015, 09:57 PM
Let me guess, bet you went to ULTA. Same thing happened to me a few months ago. Plus left a tip! A lesson learned!

Momofmonsters5
June 3rd, 2015, 10:26 PM
Hi Sandy,
No I havent, my husband is in the Army so we've been in Germany. We got back stateside in November of last year.
Rachel

Navy Wife
June 3rd, 2015, 10:26 PM
I have had the same experience with high prices. I paid $40 for a cut in San Francisco, in 1960! DH was a Lieutenant and we were on our way to Japan with 2 kids. I really couldn't afford that! I could have bought groceries for 2 weeks with that money!
I finally found a new stylist here in April. I had the previous one for over 20 years. We went through short, long, colored, not colored, and all the rest. Last year he decided I need it cut very short. I looked like a Marine! The next 2 cuts ended up the same way despite my protests. I haven't been back. I pay $20 for a shampoo, cut and quick blow dry. $10 more for styling. I quit coloring it when it all went gray, about 10 years ago.

Deegles
June 3rd, 2015, 10:59 PM
Hmmm.....I don't get this kind of stuff done at all, but I hear the women at work talk and this seems to be the price in my backwoods, jerkwater, part of the country.

Peggi
June 4th, 2015, 02:47 AM
I had that happen years ago, when I was young and naive. I worked with a woman that had gorgeous hair. I got the name of her hairdresser, went in, and asked him to do to my hair what he does to hers. He gave me a cut and perm and it was $150!!