PDA

View Full Version : Curse you Thunder Gods!

pharris123
June 2nd, 2015, 11:26 AM
Saturday evening, watching TV in my comfy chair, peacefully sewing on my applique project, listening to the gentle rain, everything is right with the world. Then....... BLAM! Lightening strikes, I hear a horrible POW! and see a blinding flash behind my television/computer setup! Internet goes out and I lose the picture on my 7 month old (expensive) TV. The cable folks came yesterday, fixed the internet, but pronounced my television dead and gone, at least the video part! Listening to Game of Thrones and binge-listening to Justified is no fun - although the news isn't so bad with no picture. Blurgh.

I don't want to buy a new TV. Waaaah! I WANT TO BUY MORE FABRIC! So today I am patting my new batiks, folding and organizing, and comforting them because they won't have any new friends for quite some time.

I think I might just buy this tv:

Double blurgh.......

Claire Hallman
June 2nd, 2015, 11:51 AM
Your home owners insurance might help with the cost of the TV. Sure hope so, don't know what I would do without one.:icon_rolleyes:

RiverMomm
June 2nd, 2015, 11:53 AM
I hate that! It's like the lightning gods know when you have a new TV. Will your insurance cover it?

We had that happen once and it took out all of our computers, wall mounted telephones and TVs. We had teens at home at the time and we each had a computer. And THEN a couple months later, a few other plug in appliances died. Guess it was delayed lightning god reaction.

WendyI
June 2nd, 2015, 12:15 PM
ALL of my electronics are connected to a power bar with surge protection. I would freak out of they got fried. Don't you have a lightening rod on your house to prevent this?

pharris123
June 2nd, 2015, 12:31 PM
I have none of these handy things that would have prevented me having to buy a new TV! Waaah! I did have it plugged into a surge protector but obviously that didn't work. I live where I work, in a 1930's cottage in a cemetery, so no telling what kind of awful wiring is in these walls! Maybe I'll ask my boss/landlord for the lightening rod - it was very scary.

Television is HORRIBLE to be without! I live happily alone, and it's my primary form of entertainment! Maybe I'll just get another cat.

My mom said it's a sign from God that I need to quit spending money on fabric. Sure thing, Mom.

(I'm just venting here, I am blessed that I have the resources for a new TV so this 'problem' really isn't. Would rather have a new sewing machine, though!)

bubba
June 2nd, 2015, 12:47 PM
I had a PT Cruiser when they first came out. Lightening struck that one spring rainstorm. We were at my sisters and could hear a car alarm ringing after we saw the lightening and thunder, not knowing it had hit my car. The men finally went and looked and it was my car! Fried it so bad they could not get it shut off and had to start pulling wires!

RiverMomm
June 2nd, 2015, 12:49 PM
ALL of my electronics are connected to a power bar with surge protection. I would freak out of they got fried. Don't you have a lightening rod on your house to prevent this?

If there is a direct or very close lightning hit, the surge protectors can't handle it. (yeah, ask me how I know . . . sigh). Most surge protectors are really just for mild power surges in day-to-day life. When we were hit, the lightning hit a tree near our house and traveled through the power cable near the tree. Totally incinerated the power and telephone cables to the house.

So not only did we have to replace the electronics, we had to replace the surge protectors. PLUS we had to pay $3000 to remove the dang tree (yeah, it was a very big tree). Insurance didn't cover removing the tree because it didn't fall on the house. If it had fallen on the house, it would have been totally covered.

K. McEuen
June 2nd, 2015, 12:53 PM
Give the insurance company a call. I know we are covered after $500 (the deductable.)

A few years ago we heard a loud thunder out back. I finally figured out that lightning had struck our apple tree, which was almost dead anyway, but there was bark laying in the yard and the tree had a split after that. Our answering machine got fried even though it didn't hit the house, it must have scared the crap out of it or something.

Carrie J
June 2nd, 2015, 01:08 PM
Yep, call the insurance company! Had that happen in an old Craftsman bungalow we restored which had a fir tree beside the driveway. Talk about a hair raising ka-boom! And surge protectors are useless and ineffectual in situations like this. Karen, had to LOL over the answering machine, too bad that doesn't happen when a telemarketer (especially the political ones) is calling in!

rebeccas-sewing
June 2nd, 2015, 02:22 PM
Isn't there something you can install so that doesn't happen? That's an expensive mishap.

pharris123
June 2nd, 2015, 04:28 PM
Maybe I'll replace the TV with a fishtank. Lots more relaxing and I can just flush 'em if they break.

pcbatiks
June 2nd, 2015, 07:02 PM
Pam.......sorry about your tv. I'm pretty sure that a tv with no picture is now a radio with a big screen. :D

Binge listening.........that made me chuckle.......

We had lightening hit our Dvd/Vcr years ago....with a big loud boom. The weather wasn't bad.....just cloudy......scared the daylights out of us!

Quiltfreestyle
June 2nd, 2015, 07:36 PM
Sorry this happened to you but maybe your insurance will cover some of the cost??
We once had lightening strike the transformer box on the pole across the street. Woke up the whole neighborhood. It sounded like a bomb going off. We didn't have computers back then but it blew the TV & we didn't get power back for a couple of days. Of course it happened at 3am on a weekend.
There is some kind of whole house surge protector I've heard of but an electrician has to install it. Others are right, the little plug in ones are useless.

CraftHer
June 2nd, 2015, 07:41 PM
Sorry to hear about your lightening strike. Those surge protectors protect from surges. Nothing can protect a close hit like that. Years ago, a friend of mine was going through a thunderstorm and lightening hit. She happened to be looking outside and actually saw ball lightening on her neighbors fence! I wish I could have seen that!

I'm looking at this another way....if you don't have a TV to watch, then you need to quilt more and if you quilt more, then you should buy more fabric! OK, that may not be entirely sensible, but it works more me :)

K. McEuen
June 2nd, 2015, 07:44 PM
The whole house unit is a Surge Suppressor. There is a difference between a power strip, a surge protector and a surge suppressor. The suppressors are the best so of course they cost more.

I once had an electrician friend tell me to tie a knot in the thick cord of a surge protector. You can't make a tight knot, but you can make a knot. His reasoning behind it was that if a lightning strike happened nearby and the surge was coming in that way, the current wouldn't be able to travel fast enough around the knot. He said you might blow a breaker but your equipment would be safer with a knot than without. Luckily I never have had to test his theory.

pharris123
June 2nd, 2015, 08:13 PM
The whole house unit is a Surge Suppressor. There is a difference between a power strip, a surge protector and a surge suppressor. The suppressors are the best so of course they cost more.

I once had an electrician friend tell me to tie a knot in the thick cord of a surge protector. You can't make a tight knot, but you can make a knot. His reasoning behind it was that if a lightning strike happened nearby and the surge was coming in that way, the current wouldn't be able to travel fast enough around the knot. He said you might blow a breaker but your equipment would be safer with a knot than without. Luckily I never have had to test his theory.

Huh.

When we were kids on car trips and my brother would complain constantly about having to go to the bathroom, my dad used to tell him to tie a knot in it, and I never knew what that meant. Your electrician sounds like a genius.

I don't see what it has to do with electricity, though. Live and learn, huh?

JCY
June 2nd, 2015, 10:18 PM
If you want to look at that experience in a positive light, at least the strike didn't set your house on fire & you didn't lose everything. You lived to tell the tale. So sorry for your frightening experience & loss of electronics.

pharris123
June 2nd, 2015, 10:47 PM
My beloved brother (who lives in Cleveland, too) just called me to chat, and it turns out he has an almost brand new 32-inch Smart TV just like my fried one that they've replaced with a bigger one, asked me if I wanted it. Out of the blue. The universe really does look after babies and fools, eh?

And that's ALSO a sign that I DO need more fabric. Put that in your pipe and smoke it, Mom.

(ack I am only kidding please don't tell santa I said that)