PDA

View Full Version : Tuesdays are my kinda day

Blondie
June 2nd, 2015, 07:08 AM

Happy Tuesday, Folksies

While most of us on the East Coast are bailing out of the strong storms from the past two days, it reminds me to be careful what we pray or ask for. In my little part of the world that we call The Hill, we are notorious for having wet winters and dry summers. That does not help with veggie and flower beds. Oh yes, we can water from the spigot but it doesn't quite do as well as the sweet rain from the sky. Sunday evening it rained buckets all night. Last evening, after the sky threatened us for several hours, it finally opened up and bam! Power in and out, off and on, playing havoc with anything that needs to be reset. Already this morning, while the sun is still sleeping and daylight is breaking slowly, I sneaked a peek at the side yard garden. Poor baby veggies lying in muddy clay. We will not speak of the basement and how much we sucked out last night. I don't understand how a sump pump works but whenever we get a big and heavy rain, we get water down there. Sigh. At least we were safe and dry upstairs. Gracie, the chi chi has developed a fear of thunder after all these years. She walks around panting heavy, trembles and won't stay still. I don't know how everyone else has weathered this rain but I did hear that Jersey and other places were flooding. May, I sure hope you are good with this.

Babysitting Tyler yesterday was exhausting. He's teething and was fussy all day long. I finally got him down for a early afternoon nap and then I just sat in the recliner saying to myself, I didn't sign up for this. Gimme happy non teething babies. I was relieved when DD got home. Guess who gets to stay home today? Yep - Yours truly!

For those who sent me congratulatory pm's on the projects I've completed this year, I am going to make a blanket statement (I love puns) here: Most of the COC's come with tops ready to be sandwiched and quilted. The other quilts I had started the end of last year so I reckon they could be classified as finished UFO's and the other items - hand bags, table runners, diaper bag, etc take little time to cut, stitch and complete. I am not as prolific as I am a take it wherever I go kinda gal.

Thanks for the heads up Sharon on the Happi line. I will look that up in just a few. I need to get cracking on that baby quilty.

Bubby, saying some prayers for Karen. The impact financially, emotionally and physically go beyond my comprehension. Blessings to you for being such a good neighbor and friend.

Everyone else, keep smiling. I know I will.

buckeyequilter
June 2nd, 2015, 07:17 AM
Good morning.....

Enjoy your day off Blondie. I always enjoy reading your morning posts.

This is my daughter's cat and I don't why she insists on trying to help me sew. She doesn't even like me, she just uses me for the quilts I make, she likes those.

Well going to finish checking the forum and get ready for work.

Prayers to all who need them. Have a wonderful day!

pcbatiks
June 2nd, 2015, 07:39 AM
Good morning.....

Blondie, our older dog developed a fear of thunder storm over the last few years too. Now if the weather gets bad she will follow me around the house and will sit right next to me. She shivers and shakes too.

Hope everyone has a good day.

EnumclawGramma
June 2nd, 2015, 07:41 AM
Good Morning! I literally just opened my eyes, felt around for my phone to check the time and found myself here. I love this forum and my dear friends that much! (Even if I only surface occasionally)
Hugs, prayers and happy day wishes all Around...

Ginny B
June 2nd, 2015, 07:57 AM
Good morning. Yup, we needed rain here and we sure have been getting it. Makes it hard to get moving in the morning. Sorry you had a fussy Tyler yesterday Blondie. :( It's so hard when you know those little ones are not feeling well. Enjoy your day off today.

I've had a hard time getting moving the last couple of mornings. I have things to get done this morning before work but I just want to stay here on the couch with the kitty and blanket, my cup of tea and the forum. But, alas, off the couch I must go.

Have a good day everyone. Be safe and hugs to all those that need them.

Iris Girl
June 2nd, 2015, 07:59 AM
Morning all ! Another rainy day here. Happy I found my completed blocks to the labyrinth walk quilt I put away a year ago.
Shirley every quilter needs an inspector when quilting, and even if she doesn't like you she appreciates the work you do !
My cat is afraid of thunder, the first rumble and she is on your lap or under a bed or under your covers.
Last day of work for me til Monday. I took the end of the week of for my B'day. Present to myself:)
HUgs and well wishes for all that need them, Healing thoughts to all that are in need also.

irishrn
June 2nd, 2015, 08:04 AM
Morning all! It is cloudy and dreary here today!
Blondie, we didn't get the rain you did and sorely need it! Yesterday was the first little spit of a sun shower and then a dribble overnight. But the air is heavy with moisture and my eyes are loving it!!! Promise of rain on and off all week so I hope we get enough to help with the dryness.
Need to get to The airport at RDU for a 945 pick up DH's DGD coming in from NY. She is so much fun to have visit here!
Got dinner ready for company tonight if they make it. Not always sure about them coming from Charlotte,( DH's DD and SIL). If not, we will be swimming in stuffed shells and sausage and peppers this week!!! Just need to clean up the kitchen before I leave.
So deadline for cleaning the bedroom for DH came and went. He got up at 730 said his back was bothering him, took a flexeril and went back to bed until 320PM!!! So he slept while I cooked and cleaned and did a bit of mending for the DD. Since his DGD will be here till Friday, I will sneak away and start to get his stuff done! I am soooo over this delaying he does!
But getting to the sewing room is out of the question for a while longer! UGH!
I hope everyone has a good day. Thinking of all who have things to deal with this week. I hope you all find something to smile about! :-)

Bubby
June 2nd, 2015, 08:14 AM
Morning Everyone,

Today is going to be a slow day for me. I woke up not feeling quite as perky as usual. Jeff is getting ready to leave for work and the Girls are here in the sewing room napping. Dottie is acting more like herself today.

I need to go food shopping this morning. We're out of a few crucial items. I think we will have our dinner at the new Mexican restaurant here in town. They have very authentic food (for Missouri). Last night we had breakfast for dinner....not very inspired. Jeff isn't picky at all as long as I cook enough food....he's quite a big eater.

May, I hope you're feeling better.

No real news here so I'll wish everyone a happy and safe day with hugs.....

Simply Quilting
June 2nd, 2015, 08:16 AM
Good Morning! We had a beautiful sunshine day yesterday and I was able to get several projects done. I'm sure the trashman was not real thrilled at how much trash he picked up yesterday. But it is out of our house. With the overcast sky today, I'm not sure which project dh is going to want to tackle today. We have a chance of rain the rest of the week so hopefully it is one of the outdoor projects today.

Blondie and pcbatiks, there is a product called a thundervest for dogs that is suppose to help them during storms. I think it would not be real hard to make as it is just a wrap around vest for your dog that applies a light constant pressure.

Have a great day everyone :)

Monique
June 2nd, 2015, 08:33 AM
Good morning friends. A cloudy start to the day here, not sure if showers are imminent. I did 3 loads of laundry yesterday and got them hung out and dried. I picked some rhubarb and make a little dish of sauce. I also got to pick some of the neighbour's rhubarb. I would like to make muffins today.

Tomorrow I have to take Doug to an all day course so I will spend the day with my friend Dottie while I wait for Doug. Thursday, I work most of the day and Friday is a free day. Hubby is going to Plattsburgh golfing for the weekend with Greg and two other guys. Quilt show on Saturday with an invitation for supper with my brother. Busy few days ahead.

Have a great day friends.

Navy Wife
June 2nd, 2015, 09:04 AM
No rain for us, but it was all around us. This is the time of year for crazy showers where it rains on one side of the street, but dry on the other side. But we will get more sometime this week.
I'm taking the machines in for their check up, so maybe I'll get some housework done while they are gone. DH is having lunch with DS#2. They will eat Mexican lunch, so I won't have to cook tonight! I don't mind the cooking, but I hate to plan and decide what to cook. I'm in a rut lately.

Time to hit the shower and get busy. We are going to look at new mattresses early, and then the trip to Knoxville. It's just 15 miles, but seems longer. The city lies along the river and it is quite a trek from one end to the other. As usual my errands will take me from one end to the other, so I will probably drive 60 or more miles today.

MRoy
June 2nd, 2015, 09:18 AM
Good morning! It's been cloudy and drizzly here for two days, we need some sunshine! I hit the grocery early yesterday morning and stocked up the pantry. Then I cooked food to take to the family of DH's cousin who passed away Saturday.

Not much sewing here the past few days. I need to lay out the blocks for grandson's quilt and get it sewn together soon.

Wishing everyone a good day.

Grandma Nan
June 2nd, 2015, 09:36 AM
Good morning to everyone

Don't you just love Tuesday? It's not Monday (which is always a wipe out) but it is early enough in the week that you still have enough days left in the week to procrastinate those jobs like cleaning, getting groceries, etc.

Today I have to finish my curling ribbons border and get that quilt out of my head. I'm sick of it and want to move on to something else but I will NOT leave it this close to being finished and start on something else, maybe. I also want to start the clean up of my latest acquisitions- a Singer 401 and a 128. I am learning a lot by reading on various websites how to do the "Singer mud bath and Facial" treatment.

We subscribe to a live theatre group at the Thousand Island Playhouse in Gananoque so tonight is our first play of the summer. We don't go to movies but really enjoy the live theatre. The summer one is a semi-professional theatre that brings in touring groups all summer. In the winter we have tickets to the local theatre group and it is good as well. Ensures that we have a date night at least once a month.

Well it has been cool and dull around here with spits of rain here and there but this morning the sun is coming out. Still cool though. I want summer, soon! Tired of this unpredictable weather.
I hope that everyone stays dry and these horrid storms are soon over for our friends in the south.

I'm smiling cause today I get to head to the sewing room and stay there all day. I hope others can get in a little sewing therapy. I know it improves my mood when I can have time sewing. Hope you find a smile in your day too.

MayinJerset
June 2nd, 2015, 09:38 AM
Blondie, it has rained a lot here but no big floods or damage as far as I know.

Barb, feeling so much better this morning. That IV antibiotic shot for my UTI has worked wonders, no non stop potty stops all day and night and weird sensations in legs and hands have disappeared. I've must have had the infection for awhile as the symptoms appeared a few weeks ago, slight at first but gradually increased enough to scare me. At first I thought the legs and hands were reacting to the PT I was doing everyday but they weren't. Saw ortho doc yesterday and he confirmed those leg and hand feelings weren't due to my arthritis. Following up at primary doc today about UTI and low potassium level. I had been popping Advil day and night but haven't felt the need for them. Took 2 at midnight and feel asleep for 3 hours, up Night Owling an hour or so and then slept to 7:30 and still don't feel the need for another dose. DH has stopped hovering so I know I look and am walking better.

Scary how your mind works when you don't know what's going on with your body but so glad to get explanations and treatment quickly. Most say ER was as pleasant as it could be in my situation, wheel chaired me in while DH parked, staff were kept me calm throughout all procedures, only big problem was giving them urine sample while laying in bed. I had been going every few minutes until I had to but it took a long, long time coming and it was barely enough for the test.

Enough of this stuff, Here's wishes for everyone to have a Good Day and saying Prayers for forum members in need of them.

Sandy Navas
June 2nd, 2015, 09:40 AM
Well, well, well - lookie whose up and at'em today. I thought I was going to get up to sunshine and could spend some time doing outdoorsy stuff . . . but if the sun isn't out, then I'm not either. Not sure what I've done to aggravate some aches in my right hand but it is definitely telling me today there will be a change in the weather.

Thinking of Cathy's DGD's surgery and thinking no one of her age should have to have issues with knees. And then I remember the long list of prayers I said this morning and they included friends, relatives, forum members, family members . . . And that was just before my eyes popped open to start the day.

Last night was guild night - lots of wonderful potluck fun. There was a whole table dedicated to desserts and I am here to tell you that I didn't sample a single one. But, oh, the salads and hot dishes. Thanks to Kelly for the pickled beets as they were special and very different than others I've had.

Not sure what is on the list for today. Al has been digitizing a special embroidery piece for me and I may see if his FINAL rendition is my FINAL. I'm also assigning him a new idea and will share it once he's tried his hand at it.

And so, to figure out what is up for the day I had best be moving and shaking (sort of like the housekeeper in the latest Miranda Lambert video - of if the body would still move like that).

P.S. Hey, Nancy R., was I a good girl today?

Jean Sewing Machine
June 2nd, 2015, 09:53 AM
Good morning all! Need to get out of my sewing slump! I have a lot of projects that I need to get finished this week!

Hope everyone who needs prayers for whatever reason has God's healing presence lift them up.

Today is the 9th anniversary of my husband's passing. Time sure does fly. Cherishing the many memories of our years together brings a smile to my face. Not tears, just pleasant thoughts today! I miss him so, but that's life, and it goes on.

Have a great day!

WendyI
June 2nd, 2015, 10:17 AM
Morning everyone...another work day here for me. Thinking about how much I have yet to do at home makes me want to have some time off to take care of it, but alas I've used all my holidays for the year! I only have a few more weeks until I am off for just over two weeks vacation and am hoping to visit my family...although my budget is looking pretty barren...so not sure if that will pan out. Might have to post-pone the trip.

Thinking of those who need love and sending warm thoughts your way! xox Have a great day everyone!

toggpine
June 2nd, 2015, 02:55 PM
I'm done baking cookies for Em's bake sale to support the Walk-A-Thon. I'll go make the last deliveries and pick up the donations today. This worked well enough that I think we might try it again next year, but we'll take pre-orders and prep some of the dough ahead of time. She's raised about $200 so far. Now she just has to walk her laps and it's a done deal. She set her goal for laps at one more than she did last time.

I got my orange peel template yesterday! I'm going to see if I can get by to pick up the interfacing while I'm out making the cookie run. I was hoping that the template would fit on a 2.5" wide strip, but it is about 3" wide. Dang it. I was going to make a patriotic table runner with it since I have a bunch of strips from an exchange. No worries I'll make a starred rail fence instead and get to the orange peel a little later.

Gotta go be the cookie fairy and deliver some smiles along the way!
Hugs, Cathy

P.S. Blondie - Find some Hylands Teething Tablets. They are natural and will surprise you with how effective they are. A friend of mine gave me my first bottle when I had Em. As a pharmacist, she said they were better than anything else on the market. They do not induce sleep, but the relief from the pain will often cause the kiddo to drift off into a nap. I have used them for Em & I when we have headaches, even now that she's 9.
C

kensington
June 2nd, 2015, 06:28 PM
I like Tuesday's too! Monday is over, and tomorrow is Wednesday, then just one go to sleep and get up and Boom it's Friday and the Weekend is here!

No projects going on right now at all. I could start one... but I don't think I will. We are getting our house on the market so I need to dust and vacuum so I can get pictures taken.

I have five finished tops ready to ship, I'm shipping two each two weeks to get the done. Sent the first package yesterday, to be back by July 1.

I think I will cook today.... although, it is Taco Tuesday and we could run to town and eat on the cheap! I love Tacos too!

So many decisions... LOL. See Ya'all.

quiltingtrish
June 2nd, 2015, 08:19 PM
One more day and school's out for Summer! I am ready. My quilty projects are lined up. I hope to cross quite a few off my to-do list and slide them over to the finished list.

Just heard from DD Katie. She had a safe trip back to N. Carolina and saw the dtr about her knee. In about a month or two, they will do a bone graft to rebuild and hold new stuff. After a month or so of recovery, they will make a new meniscus - hers is basically gone. That recovery is about 6 to 8 months. No telling what the outcome is of her finishing her last 3 years in the Marines. She will have to see the medical board to stay in. I told her that she better let the doctors know that she wants to stay in so they better do an awesome job.

Why is it whenever you save and save - something major goes BOINK! Like our central air. We got one quote of around $4500. until DH nearly passed out and found a top of the line for $900. and then I said that our furnace was 20 years old and were told a few years ago that if 'this one certain screw gets turned anymore than 1/32" that the furnace will go too". So I suggested that we just get the whole thing replaced and the fella that is going to do it is the fella I worked last summer for - total price for all of it and insulation is around $2500. Lots better than the 1st quote we had for just the one thing. Geesh! I could probably live without a/c - I did grow up without it, but I'm not anymore.

oh shoot - got to scoot! That fella is on his way over!

Sandy Navas
June 2nd, 2015, 09:48 PM
One more day and school's out for Summer! I am ready. My quilty projects are lined up. I hope to cross quite a few off my to-do list and slide them over to the finished list.

Just heard from DD Katie. She had a safe trip back to N. Carolina and saw the dtr about her knee. In about a month or two, they will do a bone graft to rebuild and hold new stuff. After a month or so of recovery, they will make a new meniscus - hers is basically gone. That recovery is about 6 to 8 months. No telling what the outcome is of her finishing her last 3 years in the Marines. She will have to see the medical board to stay in. I told her that she better let the doctors know that she wants to stay in so they better do an awesome job.

Why is it whenever you save and save - something major goes BOINK! Like our central air. We got one quote of around $4500. until DH nearly passed out and found a top of the line for $900. and then I said that our furnace was 20 years old and were told a few years ago that if 'this one certain screw gets turned anymore than 1/32" that the furnace will go too". So I suggested that we just get the whole thing replaced and the fella that is going to do it is the fella I worked last summer for - total price for all of it and insulation is around $2500. Lots better than the 1st quote we had for just the one thing. Geesh! I could probably live without a/c - I did grow up without it, but I'm not anymore.

oh shoot - got to scoot! That fella is on his way over!

Feeling all your pains. The ones in the pocket are as bad as the ones in the heart sometimes.

Sending prayers for Katie - BTDT!!

quiltingtrish
June 2nd, 2015, 09:54 PM
They sure are.
Thanks Sandy.

Mom23
June 2nd, 2015, 10:37 PM
I like Tuesday's too! Monday is over, and tomorrow is Wednesday, then just one go to sleep and get up and Boom it's Friday and the Weekend is here!

No projects going on right now at all. I could start one... but I don't think I will. We are getting our house on the market so I need to dust and vacuum so I can get pictures taken.

I have five finished tops ready to ship, I'm shipping two each two weeks to get the done. Sent the first package yesterday, to be back by July 1.

I think I will cook today.... although, it is Taco Tuesday and we could run to town and eat on the cheap! I love Tacos too!

So many decisions... LOL. See Ya'all.

What? You're selling your beautiful estate? Are you moving closer to Hamilton?