PDA

View Full Version : How do you cope without quilting

stitchwishes
June 1st, 2015, 05:21 PM
I've found such solace and healing through quilting. Today we found out the extent of dry rot on our balcony, and they have to go ten feet into the house to repair it. That is my bedroom and sewing room! My giant L shaped desk, a sofa, my bed and dressers, all have to be removed.

I'll be unable to quilt for a month at least. Probably more because eventually I was moving my sewing to the spare bedroom, and that is nowhere near ready as its full of stuff we emptied out of closets and things to sort through, donate. I've got a neuromuscular disorder that leaves me moving at a snail's pace, so this is a nightmare. I was very slowly getting things done, now we'll have to get this done in less than a week so construction can start. And any physical exertion can land me in the hospital, so I'm praying my body can withstand this and wait to crash until after the work is finished.

I guess I'll have to keep a charm pack or two in a bag that I can just pet when needed. And get more knitting done. But gosh, sitting down at night and quilting has been my escape, I'm sure going to miss it and know I'll feel at a loss for awhile. I'm trying not to even think of the money that could have gone to a new sewing machine, fabric....

My friends from my support group that all have the same condition will understand what a toll this will take on my body, but only you quilters will understand the toll it will take on my soul.

Mom23
June 1st, 2015, 05:36 PM
I'm so sorry this is happening to you. I love, love, quilting. That being said, if I was told I had to shut down my sewing room I would make hexi's by hand, or work on embroidery blocks.

Is there anybody you can have come and help you get all of your moving accomplished. The youth group in our church is always looking for things to do to raise money to go to work camp. They don't charge a set fee, just a free will donation, and they are supervised by an adult. Is there anything like that in your community?

bakermom
June 1st, 2015, 06:59 PM
I broke my right foot several years ago. Couldn't get to my attic sewing room, so DD brought a lot of my fabric and cutting tools down to me. I spent a lot of time cutting out blocks for future projects.

quiltsRfun
June 1st, 2015, 07:20 PM
Maybe try some hand sewing projects.

LoveMyMachines
June 1st, 2015, 08:14 PM
I would call that Great excuse to attend a retreat!

sewlucky
June 1st, 2015, 09:21 PM
Is there room at the end of your dining table for your sewing machine and a corner for your ironing board? You could have some small projects that you leave out - pre-cuts are great for making less work for cutting as I know you already know! Until I got to work on my nephew's quilt I was about 4 months with no quilting. It felt like a LOT longer! That said, I did a lot of knitting at that time and because we were moving I also went through my stuff and gave myself to get rid of a lot too.

I found a fun little pattern book at Michael's for Car Seat blankets that I have been dabbling with - small afghans for infant car seats that are just 16x25" or so. Super cute and lots of fun and quick. Carseat Blankets | LeisureArts.com (http://www.leisurearts.com/carseat-blankets.html)

Good luck! You'll find a good alternative! I love the suggestions of finding some people to help with all of the moving and rearranging. Worth it! Take good care of you.

Terri

Marta
June 1st, 2015, 09:49 PM
When I can't use my sewing space I bake, read, or do cross stitch or some sort of hand sewing. Usually have binding to hand sew . I have done paperpiecing by hand- made blocks that I use for totes etc. oh yes I have a never ending Christmas project= a garland made of yoyo's . It gets a bit longer ever year.

Mpyles
June 1st, 2015, 10:11 PM
Start an applique project!

Claire OneStitchAtATime
June 1st, 2015, 10:53 PM
Hand sewing, hand quilting, or knitting! Or put your sewing machine on the end of the kitchen table. Who needs to eat anyway?

Seriously, though, fatigue is no joke. Can you get some help with the rearranging? And it's hard to deal with a stressful situation like dry rot & household disruption without your mainstay for stress relief, i.e., quilting. So if there is a way to make a quilting nook somewhere else, I'd make it a priority.

songbird857
June 1st, 2015, 10:59 PM
Handwork, applique', cutting fabric for the next quilt, hexis, etc. Anything that is mostly done by hand is a great way to keep busy! Maybe make a small quilt and hand quilt it? Have fun :)

Sylvia H
June 1st, 2015, 11:01 PM
I so sincerely hope that you find a way to deal with all of this. I am also a proponent of doing some English Paper piecing if you cannot find another avenue for your craft

stationarymom
June 2nd, 2015, 02:43 AM
Like the others suggested start hand projects,do cutting for your next project or two.Have you done hand quilting if not you could try.As far as moving things around go to your local church and ask for volunteer help maybe the local high school too.

stitchwishes
June 2nd, 2015, 04:09 AM
You all are fabulous with the suggestion of hand quilting! I've been intrigued by it, but no plans to try it. I'd just embarked on a mini quilt using jaybirds hex n more mini ruler -- that would be neat to try and hand piece and make it more special. If I can get a few more pieces cut, I'll pack that up to work on.

The workmen will move big furniture into the next room if I can make space, but it's mostly my personal items and quilting things I need to move out of here. After some brainstorming this afternoon I think it's looking less overwhelming. We were even considering a storage pod, but realized with that cost it'd be better to toss my old desk and sofa and go ahead and get the tables I need for my new sewing room. So maybe there is a big silver lining in this after all! It will take longer than planned, these things always do, but I think my sewing room will come together sooner than if we hadn't had to do this.

They were shocked by the dry rot they uncovered, their initial look led them to believe they could repair it. I know that balcony well, I use it every day, I have had suspicions about the extent for a long time. The joists shredded down to spindles after they dismantled the balcony and what looked like wood crumbled away. We are very lucky we hadn't had it fall out from under us. Still trying to absorb the enormity of this, I still feel stunned.

rebeccas-sewing
June 2nd, 2015, 05:24 AM
My goodness! What an ordeal. I'm so glad you didn't have a life-threatening catastrophe. Lots of great ideas here. This is a terrific time to practice a new technique that you've thought of trying. I would definitely be trying needle-turn applique. I've been wanting to try it to see if I like it better than the other applications. Just haven't gotten up the courage. Also, I'm so busy working on other projectst that I don't want to take the time. If I was in your boat this is what I'd be doing. I'm glad there is a silver lining to your story.

Bubby
June 2nd, 2015, 06:58 AM
I would set up my machine in another room and work on small projects like placemats, runners and hot pads. If that isn't possible create some hand sewing - like hexies or an embroidery project. Or buy some quilting classes on Craftsy and watch them on your computer...or watch all of Jenny's tutorials again.

WendyI
June 2nd, 2015, 10:23 AM
I have not quilted in months and months...it's been a struggle that's for sure. I JUST got my spare room semi-organized on the weekend and now can't locate the power cord for my sewing machine!! It's packed away in a box somewhere but WHERE?! TOO MUCH JUNK! I hope you can get some help! So sorry to hear that the damage was that bad but so glad no one got hurt and it didn't collapse underneath you! It will be done before you know it and you will have an amazing new sewing room set up just the way you like it! Can't wait to see pics! Take care!

Granny Fran
June 2nd, 2015, 11:28 AM
Prayers going your way. I understand both the physical and emotional stress you are going through, but glad to see you have found that silver lining. Also, you are right about things taking longer than anticipated.