PDA

View Full Version : THE NEWS WE'VE BEEN DREADING

Txgrandma
October 8th, 2011, 05:13 AM
Haven't been on in a few days, been in a real funk. Just got the news on Wednesday that our son is shipping out for Afghanistan on Tuesday the 11th. Going over Monday to spend some time with him before he leaves and try to be of some support for his wife. Thankfully at this point his little 3 year old has no concept of what's going on, she just knows that daddy is going far away to work, of course that's what they have told her. His is a non-combat MOS which is good but, he is also the only one in his unit to have a military drivers license, and he's already been told he will probably be the designated driver his commanding officer. Which means he will be going off the FOB where it is of course more dangerous. It never gets any easier to tell them good bye in this situation. His best friend is in Iraq and we just got word that his unit lost another soldier, that's 5 for them and my heart nearly stops everytime I hear of one. I pray for the one lost and his family and thank God it wasn't Dillon. These last few days have gone by way too fast, I have been trying to keep busy but it's not helping much right now. Sorry to be such a downer, just needed to get it out. Thanks for listening.

institches64
October 8th, 2011, 06:14 AM
I think you can chat here all you want and we will all support you! I can't imagine how scary it is sending a loved one off like that. I wish you and your son all the best and hope he comes home safe and sound!:icon_wave:

quilter.martha
October 8th, 2011, 08:35 AM
Oh Mary, please know that we will be keeping your son in our prayers. Could you give us his name? God knows who he is, but I like to use names in my prayers. We'll be praying for you as well, for courage and peace.

quiltingtrish
October 8th, 2011, 08:36 AM
Oooo Mary - you come here all you want and you can even PM me. Please give me his address when he gets it and I'll send some letters and how about a CARE package for him. My son is in the Marines and he is scheduled to go there next summer. I don't know how I'll get through that either, but we do and we will. My heart also drops everytime I hear we've lost another one of our men.
In the meantime, he is in my prayers along with his family and you.
BIG HUGS,

bec
October 8th, 2011, 09:05 AM
Mary, I'm so sorry to hear that. I'll be praying for his safety and for his wife, his little girl and for you. I can only imagine what you are going through. Don't be sorry for a minute to share with us. We are here for you and don't mind listening.

Kizzie
October 8th, 2011, 09:07 AM
Oh Mary being an officers wife I know exactly where you are coming from, my thoughts and prayers are with you and his wife and his little girl. It must be hard on both the couples xxxxxxxxxxxx Always here if you need to talk

Sandy Navas
October 8th, 2011, 09:20 AM
Dear, dear Mary! Prayers, hugs, all the warm wonderful support you need to get you through this. Let your pride in your son take over and know that we are all praying for him - each and every second he is away from his loving family. Tell him your friends thank him for his service. And you come on here to shed whatever anxieties you are feeling. We'll sob with you.

Shirley
October 8th, 2011, 09:28 AM
Mary, So sorry to hear the news. May God bless him and keep him safe. Hope he can get back home soon.

Monique
October 8th, 2011, 09:28 AM
Mary, I too am a military mom, although in the Canadian Forces. I have not been in your situation but feel for you. Enjoy your time with your son before he ships out. A mother never stops worrying does she? Thoughts and prayers are with you and your family for his safe return.

donnah818
October 8th, 2011, 09:39 AM
Please tell your son that we are so proud of him and thankful for his service. May he come home soon and safe. Donna

bakermom
October 8th, 2011, 10:01 AM
Prayers for your son and for his family here at home.

Thank you.

bobw103
October 8th, 2011, 10:05 AM
Dear Mary
How difficult this must be for you and your family. I am so thankful to those that serve and protect us however if I were in your place I would be an emotional wreck as well. Thoughts and hugs go out to you and your family. If your son or his family needs anything please let us know.
Bobbi

KiltedQuilter
October 8th, 2011, 10:33 AM
I can only echo what has already been written here. These guys do an AMAZING job(my BIL is in the forces) my thoughts are with you and your family. Be strong, he sure is(and my BIL too).

Though she doesn't realise what is going on right now, one day his daughter will. Then she'll know what fantastic daddy she has.

Tssprague
October 8th, 2011, 11:09 AM
My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family. I cried for a week when I sent my son off to college, so I can not even imagine how you must be feeling. I'm so very thankful for people like your son though who choose to serve and protect us.

BellasQuilts
October 8th, 2011, 11:18 AM
Mary, you post all that you need to here. We are listening. tell your son lots of prayers coming his way and we thank him for his service. Sending you hugs. Megan

meemeecyn
October 8th, 2011, 11:18 AM
OH, Mary....no wonder you are in a funk. This is heavy stuff. Know that the quilters on this forum are here to listen and support. Maybe we could do a 'card shower' for him and another for his family. Sending them to you to forward? Whatever we can do to help
you is certainly on that list as well. Prayers for you and them as you embark on this journey.
Cynthia

EsGrandma
October 8th, 2011, 12:30 PM
Dear Mary, My prayers are with you and your family - I can only echo the expressions here. We love you and please let us know if we can do anything to support you. Linda

rebeccas-sewing
October 8th, 2011, 12:48 PM
I hope your son has a safe and successful experience serving in Afghanistan. Please thank him for his service and his bravery. Where would we be without those willing to serve in our armed forces. I hope you and your family will fare well through this. Worry does terrible things to people. Keeping a positive attitude is the best thing you can do for yourselves and for him. You have a lot of caring friends here in the forum. Take advantage of their support whenever you need it.

debinmalaga
October 8th, 2011, 02:35 PM
Mary, my heart goes out to you. I'm a military mom, too, been through deployments to Egypt and Iraq, and it's tough, but you'll get through it. Take one day at a time and enjoy this time before he leaves. You're right to want to be strong for his wife, you two will need each other. We're here for you, and thank you and your son for the sacrifices made for us all.

csarina
October 8th, 2011, 02:57 PM
My thought and prayers are with you and your family as your son ships out for his tour of duty in Afganistan.

You will need to support your DIL and the little one, but be sure all of us here are behind you........take care.....

mrswindy4
October 8th, 2011, 03:25 PM
Mary...There are several Military Moms here and a few wives, also. You have plenty of shoulders to lean on. We all know how you're feeling!

My son is also shipping out this month (between the 18th and 25th) No exact date given for security reasons.
He will be right in the middle of all the "action" and will be searching the roads for IED's...most dangerous MOS there is :(

I have Faith in my God and in my son!!

sewmuchjan
October 8th, 2011, 04:05 PM
Mary we are here for you and your family. God Bless our Troops and their families.

Talk to us all you want we are here for you!!!

BIG HUGS
Jan G

sally
October 8th, 2011, 04:20 PM
Mary my prayers are with your son and his family and yours.
In the name of God who made a pathway in the waves,
May He bring him safely home at the end of the day.

Txgrandma
October 8th, 2011, 05:42 PM
Oh ladies thank you for your support, it really helps more than you know. I plan on giving him so many hugs before he goes he may be sick of them. LOL I am very proud of him for what he's doing. He's been in Iraq once already, but for some reason that deployment didn't bother me as much as this one. Probably because I knew he would be on the FOB all the time. I'm sure losing so many in Dillon's unit has something to do with it too. Martha you asked for my son's name, it's Robert. I knew we had some military moms and wives on here but I guess I never realized how many. Please know my prayers are going out for everyone of them. I am so proud of all of them and please give your family member my thanks for their service. I always knew I was in excellent company here. I was talking to a friend or (someone I thought was a friend) the other day, when I told her about him shipping, she told me she just couldn't understand why us moms were always so proud and happy of our sons being in the military but, as soon as they were deploying we got all worried and upset. She said we should have known all along they would be going over there, after all we are at war. After hearing that I just kind of became a hermit and didn't want to talk to anyone. Of course all her kids are here safe and sound and thank God for that. I think maybe I have been a hermit long enough, I'm sure I'll feel better if I get out for a while. Joann's has their batting on sale plus a coupon good on sales items. I need some so I'm going to stock up. Got two quilts back from the LAQ the other day I'm putting the binding on them then I'll post some pictures.
Mary, I wish I could give you a big hug, ((((((( ))))))) I can't imagine what shape I would be in knowing my son had the MOS your son has. Just know that I'm here for you and will be praying for him and you. Tell him I thank him for what he's doing, I realize what he does helps keep the other soldiers safer.

Bubby
October 8th, 2011, 07:38 PM
Mary, God will keep him safe and give you and his wife peace. You write here all you want....we have a lot of mothers' hearts here who understand. Our prayers will be ongoing for your family....Hugs, Barb (((())))

MaryB
October 8th, 2011, 07:41 PM
Hugs and prayers from me too, Mary. Please keep us up-to-date on this so we will know what support to send you and the family.

HandsOffItsMine
October 8th, 2011, 08:18 PM
Mary, prayers for Robert, his wife and kids, you, and yours. Plus all our enlisted men, women and their families. It's a necessary thing and we thank all of you for serving our country. My husband served and I'm sure many of the husbands of other gals on this forum. The price they have paid is what make this country worth fighting for.

Your so called friend might be a tad harsh in the way she voiced her option. Let it slight, you have plenty of friends here that will listen to your fears without criticism. You're a mom, you have fears for your child, that's not going to change!

Hugs to you and prayers as well. Ruby

Luvngrammy
October 8th, 2011, 10:27 PM
I also am a Military Mom, My son returned in May from Afghanistan. he was there for a year and was only 15 miles from where they found Osama Binladin. His entire mission was hush hush..
My prayers go out to you and your entire family, as this will be trying for all of you. We did have very good communication with him on facebook chat daily sometimes..I tease him now and tell him I communicated with him more while deployed than we do now!
Linda

quiltingtrish
October 8th, 2011, 10:46 PM
Mary and Mary - I'll have both your sons in my prayers.
And to the Mary who spoke to someone who doesn't have a clue about what the military does and what we go through - I just remind people that our sons are there to protect them too when they want to be so stuck in the mud that they don't know what's going on around them. I'll have to find that email that went around that had something like "It's because of a soldier that you - get to lay your head down on a pillow at night, it's because of a soldier that ---- and it goes on from there. I'll have to search my papers, I must have saved it somewhere.

Hugs,

carolv
October 9th, 2011, 09:53 AM
All i can do is echo everyone else. We're here for you. Talk all you want. I know I'm new here but, I just can't describe the feeling of family that I feel here. My husband cannot understand why I have to go to 3 or 4 different quilt shops before I find THE fabric I'm looking for. But, you just know it when you see it. That is how I feel here. I have tried countless other forums and something never clicked, to the point of giving up for a few years. But, then I found home. Maybe the problem is me I think I'm rambling.
Anyway, whatever I can do just ask.
Hugs and take care

Loonwatcher
October 9th, 2011, 09:13 PM
Mary, I will keep your son in my prayers for a safe deployment. How long will he be gone? this goes for all the rest of you with loved ones in the military. I am lucky that I don't but greatly appreciate my freedoms that your loved ones preserve for me. The efforts and sacrifices of our military and their families is not unnoticed. THANK YOU AND GOD BLESS!!!

Txgrandma
October 10th, 2011, 04:25 AM
Thank you again for all your support, it really means a lot and is very much appreciated. It has really helped me out of the funk I was in and I'm trying to look for the positives. Really looking forward to spending the day with him tomorrow, we will actually have some time alone while his wife is working, we always have good talks, so that will give me something to remember and hold onto while he's gone. He will be there for a year with a 2 week R&R I'm guessing around April which would be great, his birthday is the 10th and his daughters is the 6th. So it would be a perfect time for him to be home. His dad cannot get off work so he won't be going with me tomorrow, I have two very disappointed men on my hands. Prayers for all the other military members here and love and hugs to all of you.

clg27
October 10th, 2011, 09:26 PM
Mary, Please tell your son THANK YOU!! Our son-in-law just got back from Afghanistan 2 weeks ago. He is in the Marines. Your son and his family and yours will be in my prayers!! I know you will stop and listen much more closely to the news, as we did. THANKS AGAIN to your son!! Cindy

janluna
October 10th, 2011, 09:32 PM
Mary, Any time you need a shoulder or someone to lean on, I'm here. You have all been there for me. This is the greatest group for support I've ever had the privilege to know. What can we do to help? I will pray for your son everyday. I'm really sorry that they won't let your husband off work to be with your son. I will say prayers for you and your husband and for your son's wife and little girl. May he be always in God's white light of protection. Hugs, Jan L.

clg27
October 10th, 2011, 09:34 PM
Mary, also would be more than happy to send cards or care package to him, you may send me a private message also with the information if you wish. Cindy

middlesis1966
October 10th, 2011, 10:09 PM
Mary I will add you and your family to my prayers.

cyndiofthevortex
October 10th, 2011, 10:21 PM
Dear Mary,

My daughter Faith, her husband Danny and their three beautiful little daughters came by today for a surprise visit. Faith enlisted with the Army Nat'l Guard right out of high school and was deployed to Iraq just after boot camp. She was there for a year and I never stopped thinking of her and praying for her. She was a driver for an officer and earned a reputation for being fearless and confident. She's a tiny little girl and I could hardly believe she was working so hard so far away from me. I know the heartache of saying goodbye and the relief of knowing she was in God's hands.

One of her commanding officers became her husband when they got back. Faith said to him, "Now that we're home we can finally date!" But Danny said, "I don't want to date you. I want to marry you." And that's just what he did.

I will pray for you and your son. I know from your post how deep your love is and how tender your heart is for your son. I will pray for his wife and for their child. It is a great sacrifice to leave your family to fight in a war far away. May God keep him safe every minute and return him to all who love him quickly!

Cyndi

janluna
October 10th, 2011, 10:35 PM
Everyone who has Sons and Daughters, Husbands and Wives in the military, please thank them for us. My husband was in during Viet Nam. I know how hard that was. This has been even worse. You are all wonderful people. Thank you for defending us. And thank you to you families, at home, who sacrifice everyday for us. Love, Hugs and Prayers, Jan L.

SuzyQue
October 10th, 2011, 11:25 PM
Adding my name to those praying for your son, his family, and of course, you! I can't imagine the emotions you must be feeling at this time! How scary, how proud, how brave! Keep busy and maybe the time will fly by quickly! It is so sad that your husband can't go to be with you and your son tomorrow. Keep smiling and perhaps it will come easier soon.

Telliott68
October 11th, 2011, 01:14 AM
Mary, I hate hearing that. Hubby went to Iraq for 16 months or so and it is hard. The upside is that staying busy makes time fly by. My prayers are with you and your family.

Txgrandma
October 12th, 2011, 06:23 AM
I feel so fortunate to have all of your prayers and support. I had a good visit with Robert and his wife Erica and little Aydn. Aydn looked at her daddy last night and told him he was her favorite super hero. Erica and I was sitting outside and when he walked out after putting Aydn to bed he had tears in his eyes when he told us what she said. He'll carry that with him the whole time he's gone. Erica had to be at school today because she was being evaluated in the classroom all day. I took Robert to his company to drop him off and say goodbye. He was the only one that had a family member there to tell him goodbye, another reason I feel fortunate and even lucky that we had that special time together. His last words to me was I love you momma and I'll be safe. He wrapped his arms around me and gave the tightest hug I think I've ever had and of course he got one in return.
I told him about all of you praying for him, he smiled and told me to tell you all thank you and he felt good having all that power of prayer going with him. Still don't know exactly where he's going yet, but he said they had been hearing rumors of going to a fairly new post called Shindan. Still waiting to know for sure though.

Mimis-quilts
October 12th, 2011, 12:29 PM
You dont look old enough to be a military mom! You have aged gracefully my friend!

Mary, my heart goes out to you. I'm a military mom, too,

Mimis-quilts
October 12th, 2011, 12:32 PM
Military Moms United! That is what we are! My son leaves for Iraq in 15 days! But I won't get to see him...he is at Ft Hood Tx anfd I am in Indiana! :( Mary, will keep your son and his family in my prayers as well as you! I get a lump in my throat just thinking about!

Txgrandma
October 13th, 2011, 04:57 AM
You dont look old enough to be a military mom! You have aged gracefully my friend!

Oh Pat you are a sweetheart, I have to say you look way to young to be a military mom also. It's that adorable little girl I'm holding that makes this grandma look good. In that picture she was 2 years old and her and I were dancing at an outdoor concert.
I wish I were going to be around at the time your son was leaving I would be willing to go over and tell him goodbye for you. We will be in OK. I am very lucky to be so close to where Robert was stationed so I had the priviledge to be with him at that time. I know too many are clear across the country and don't have that chance. Your son is in my prayers along with all the rest here.