PDA

View Full Version : Let's get Sunday started!

quiltingtrish
May 31st, 2015, 08:31 AM
It looks like it's going to be a rainy, stormy day here and I hope Katie misses it all traveling down the East Coast back to North Carolina. It was a long two weeks with her but we still had quality time and lots of talking time together. She is to check in with me every time she stops so I don't worry so much.

3 days until school is out for Summer! I have my calendar ready and I want to plan on quilting most week days (like pretending I still have to work from 8 to 3) so we will see how that goes. DH knows if I am missing, I am downstairs, haha!

I'll be off to my Dad's later today, if the storms keep up - no garden work but I can get some cleaning done inside.

Check in and let us know what your day is measuring up to be.

Hugs,

Angelia
May 31st, 2015, 08:52 AM
Supposed to be nice and cool here today--I'm becoming spoiled and dread the hot summer weather that I know is coming. :icon_bah:

Hope to glue baste a quilt today, and I've got some HSTs to trim. But first...more coffee!

Bubby
May 31st, 2015, 09:04 AM
Morning Everyone,

It's misting rain here. We had a nice day yesterday until early afternoon when the storms came again. I seldom complain about rain because we never seem to get enough.

The professional rodeo (PRCA) comes to our town one weekend every year and this was the weekend. We have a rodeo parade and then Main Street is blocked off for vendors, good food, crafts, live music and dancing. It's a day we really enjoy. Most years we are working in Cuba but this year we were able to attend the festivities. Even Jeff got up and danced me around for a while.

I plan to get some sewing done today , weather permitting. I would like to get all the Curved Log Cabin blocks sewn into rows today and have the whole quilt top done by the time I pick up my little quilt from Reggie in a few days. Our local fabric shop just got in their Christmas fabric and everything is gray this year. I love gray, but I'm not sure if I want gray for Christmas. I agreed to make a custom bed ruffle and matching shams for a neighbor as a surprise Christmas gift for his wife. Since he found out I can sew, I'm his new go-to for surprise gifts. What he doesn't know is that I am making them a quilt for Christmas, so I will coordinate his bed ruffle and shams with the quilt I'm making.

It was good hearing from Handsome Ryan and hearing that Wiggles is walking now and that Tabatha's pregnancy is going well. I hope she gets her girl.

All is well here in our little corner of the world. The Girls are taking their first nap of the day...it's terribly tiring to have to get out of bed after sleeping 10 hours!

Have a great day everyone....Hugs.

Ginny B
May 31st, 2015, 09:15 AM
Good morning. It's sunny here this morning. Originally they talked about rain for today but now it looks like it has been delayed a bit. So I guess we'll put the sprinklers on for a while today.

I hope to get a bit of sewing done on a wall hanging that someone asked me to make for her new grand daughter. I would also like to work on my lattice quilt for a bit.

But for the next little bit, I will be enjoying my tea and reading about what everyone has been up to here.

Enjoy the day.

irishrn
May 31st, 2015, 09:35 AM
Morning all from bright and sunny NC!! It's suppose to be 91 here today so that means another day with dry eyes! No rain expected before Monday night or Tuesday morning. Will be picking up DH's DGD from the airport Tuesday for a short visit. She is so much fun to have around here!!
My sleeping has been all messed up and I'm dragging!! It's like I've got some kind of sleeping sickness! Can't keep my eyes open during the day and can't sleep at night! Up and down, no quality sleep! Need to get this turned around as there is too much to do! June is gonna be a long month of busy busy!!!
So glad to hear everyone's happy news and hugs to all who are having difficult times. The forum news can be such a mix of emotions when you read what is happening in their lives. I wish all well here and hope for health and happiness to come.

Sandy Navas
May 31st, 2015, 10:03 AM
Seemingly bright eyed and bushy here - squeaky clean and getting my day on. Not sure exactly what is in store. Having a DH who enjoys sewing as much as I do is something to coordinate and contend with. He's been busy with a sampler quilt and I'm finding that his color choices often leave a lot to be desired (wonder if he's wee bit color blind and just doesn't know it?). He is also busy digitizing some new embroidery designs for me. Did a fabulous large paisley that I stitched out with variegated thread on black. I'll probably use it on the side of a bag or tote.

Needing special ideas for a Sunday easy dinner and not sure what I'll come up with. I always wind up cooking too much and get burned out before the leftovers are done.

Sure hoping everyone has a safe, dry, happy day today. Keep the faith and know that someone, somewhere, cares for you.

Grandma Nan
May 31st, 2015, 10:16 AM
Hi there folks- Hope everyone is enjoying a kind of lay back Sunday morning. I'm on cup 2 but need to get moving soon.

My newest passion seems to be collecting antique or as we call them Vintage Sewing Machines. LOL!! Some are the same age as me and younger so I need to be careful what I'm calling antique. Ha Ha. There is a great group on Facebook who are very helpful in identifying and supporting each other through repair and restoration of these fine old machines. As we know, most are Singers as that was the predominant manufacturer especially in North America. Anyway I just bought an oldie last night for $30 and going to pick it up this morning. Mostly I have been doing the spa treatments and clean up but this time I think I may be into repair. The electrical cord has been cut off and so I will either have to put on another cord or I am thinking of converting it to a hand crank as it already has a spindle wheel. This is a picture of my latest acquistion.

I hope to sew this afternoon. Its rainy and cool here. I am working on a "curling ribbons" border for the sampler class I did with my sister and I really need to get it done. I thought I would add on a few extra blocks but now the quilt is huge. Once again, I have over done it.

Hope everyone has a good day.

CarolynK
May 31st, 2015, 10:16 AM
Good Morning everyone!

I only seem to get on here on the weekends to catch up and lend my 2 cents in. Was gone all day yesterday on errands and getting my plants for summer. Finally bought a small pool aka the paw washing station for the kids. We have to buy one every year because we leave it out and it freezes and cracks.

We celebrated my Dad's 79th birthday yesterday with champagne, filet mignon, fresh asparagus from our garden and a great salad made by my stepmom. Was really a fun evening and he is doing very well.

Today I get to play in the dirt and plant all the stuff I bought yesterday and it's supposed to be Sunny and 75. Hey isn't that a country song??? I digress.

We've had about 8-10 inches of rain in May so everything is thriving and very green - and yes, the pool was at one point but we managed to get it cleared up.

No sewing today for me but it's in my future. I need to finish sewing on the binding for my Lattice quilt for my sister.

Have a great day all. Sending smiles, hugs and prayers for all!

Carolyn

Claire Hallman
May 31st, 2015, 12:53 PM
Perfect cartoon there, Sandy. I am trying.
Love the paw washing station idea for kids or pups.
I love, love, love my vintage machines. I need to do a little more adjusting on the newest one, it seems a bit stiff. Maybe it is still too new, haha!

I spent the last two days at a sit and sew, had lots of fun and got lots done. Now I have two quilt's worth of blocks done and need to arrange them on a design wall then sew rows together. They will be done very quickly. First I need to get one off the wall and sandwiched. The backing just came in so that is my first goal.:icon_bigsmile:

I started a quatrefoil yesterday from the layer cake deal a week or so ago called Ophelia, I need some green to make the 4 patches and so far haven't found what I need. It is a pretty but slightly odd green. It has a tint of blue in it but not to the point of being aqua. Everything in the shop I tried yesterday was either way to yellowish or too far to the aqua.
What a dilemma, I will need to go shopping.:icon_heh:

Juliet Taylor
May 31st, 2015, 01:25 PM
Hello everybody ☺it is so nice to read what you are doing, the rodeo, the celebrations, school finishing... my sister's high school ends June 9th luckily, she is tired and surely needs some quiet time away from her terrible schoolmates to study peacefully before the exams.

Today hubby and I went for a long walk in the forest, I am very happy he was able to walk for two hours enjoying the view (he dislocated his shoulder and broke a bone in said shoulder) and I hope this walk will make him enough tired to sleep better tonight: tomorrow we will go to the hospital to know if he needs surgery. He really hopes it isn'the necessary so let'sector hope we are lucky!☺

Wishing everybody a peaceful day!

JCY
May 31st, 2015, 09:52 PM
I was too busy this a.m. getting ready for church, etc. to chip in here. Well, summer really hit today. Our high was 97! Hottest day this spring. We don't have our swamp cooler hooked up yet, so it's been pretty warm in the house. DH turned on the furnace fan to continuous so the cool air from the bsmt. would circulate. That helped. We may need to get help to hook up the swamp cooler; DH is in poor health & just doesn't have the energy to do it. I'm not sure if I can do it with his instructions. Might make an attempt tomorrow.

I got no sewing done today. Instead I cooked up 18 large beets (had to use 3 kettles) & prepared them for the freezer. DH eats them every day. It made 14 containers, plus 2 extra servings for me.

Yest. was a memorial service for our previous pastor's wife who died last wk. from cancer. The church was very full. It was a celebratory service. We know she's Home with her Lord.

It's hard to believe tomorrow will be June already. I hope everyone has a good start to the new week & month.