PDA

View Full Version : What is this?

snippet
May 30th, 2015, 05:01 AM
I was browsing a sewing supply website and found this ad. What in the world is a crotch tape measure??? And why do I need two?

Hulamoon
May 30th, 2015, 05:50 AM
lol. It's for measuring pants rise. Two I don't get lol

Granny Judy
May 30th, 2015, 06:48 AM
lol. It's for measuring pants rise. Two I don't get lol

Are we talking about measuring from waist front to waist back.. going between the legs??

rebeccas-sewing
May 30th, 2015, 06:53 AM
That's a new one on me. I've never heard of a crotch tape measure. What's different about it from a regular tape measure?

Andrea F
May 30th, 2015, 07:42 AM
I've also never heard about a crotch tape measure before. Sounds kind of funny. Maybe it's shorter than a normal tape measure?

snippet
May 30th, 2015, 07:52 AM
That's a new one on me. I've never heard of a crotch tape measure. What's different about it from a regular tape measure?

I've also never heard about a crotch tape measure before. Sounds kind of funny. Maybe it's shorter than a normal tape measure?

I wondered that too, what's so different from a regular tape measure? From the photo, it has measurements up to 60" - that's pretty big for a crotch don't ya think?

irishrn
May 30th, 2015, 07:59 AM
I saw these used in tailor shops when the tailor measured the length from crotch to hem on men. He held the rectangular piece so that his hand wasn't actually in the mans crotch. My GM had one at her house back in the 50's cause she worked in the NYC garment district as a seamstress. You'd need several in a busy shop. So BOGO would be OK for them!!!

Sylvia H
May 30th, 2015, 08:05 AM
Here is an explanatory thread about a crotch tape measure.

Patterns and Notions >> Measuring the crotch with a special tape measure (http://sewing.patternreview.com/SewingDiscussions/topic/7765)

Hulamoon
May 30th, 2015, 09:33 AM
I saw these used in tailor shops when the tailor measured the length from crotch to hem on men. He held the rectangular piece so that his hand wasn't actually in the mans crotch. My GM had one at her house back in the 50's cause she worked in the NYC garment district as a seamstress. You'd need several in a busy shop. So BOGO would be OK for them!!!

Well that makes more sence!

Deegles
May 30th, 2015, 09:51 AM

Patterns and Notions >> Measuring the crotch with a special tape measure (http://sewing.patternreview.com/SewingDiscussions/topic/7765)

OH......Interesting thread and interesting learning about crotch measuring tape. There is probably a really funny joke that is gonna come out of this thread. At first I thought they mispelled with a typo and they were selling scotch tape! LOL

Deegles
May 30th, 2015, 09:52 AM

OH......Interesting thread and interesting learning about crotch measuring tape. There is probably a really funny joke that is gonna come out of this thread. At first I thought they mispelled with a typo and they were selling scotch tape! LOL

And now we know the rest of the story hehe.

K. McEuen
May 30th, 2015, 10:35 AM
that's pretty big for a crotch don't ya think?

No comment ...

snippet
May 30th, 2015, 10:37 AM
LOL Karen. Aren't ya glad I didn't title this post 'Crotch Tape' I figured it'd be banned.....

K. McEuen
May 30th, 2015, 10:43 AM
I have always thought crotch was just a weird word. I mean we all have one, but who came up with that name and why?

rebeccas-sewing
May 30th, 2015, 10:45 AM
I've never seen one of those but I could see it would take out the issue of getting a little friendly with the client. hahaha I'd be interested to see what one looks like. I guess I'll google.

Scroll down a bit and you'll see a vintage one https://www.etsy.com/listing/112451609/vintage-crotch-device-tape-measure

Jean Sewing Machine
May 30th, 2015, 11:50 AM
I made my own crotch measuring tape from 3regular tape measures. You cut two of the tape measures at about 20"' and tape them together with the 1" ends touching. Then you take the third tape measure and tape it at right angles with the 1" end touching the other two 1" ends. It ends up looking like a Y. To measure, you have the client hold one of the shorter tapes at his/her natural waist in the front. Drop the rest of the tapes down, catch the other short end through the legs and adjust so the place where the three tapes come together end up right where the front and back crotch/leg seams meet. The front tape gives you the front rise, the back tape gives you the back rise and the long tape gives you the inseam.

Believe me, when I'm measuring a whole bunch of men or boys for a costume gig, this is the ONLY WAY. I want to be measuring! Don't want any unsavory accusations as a result of my need to get measurements!

Andrea F
May 30th, 2015, 12:01 PM
I made my own crotch measuring tape from 3regular tape measures. You cut two of the tape measures at about 20"' and tape them together with the 1" ends touching. Then you take the third tape measure and tape it at right angles with the 1" end touching the other two 1" ends. It ends up looking like a Y. To measure, you have the client hold one of the shorter tapes at his/her natural waist in the front. Drop the rest of the tapes down, catch the other short end through the legs and adjust so the place where the three tapes come together end up right where the front and back crotch/leg seams meet. The front tape gives you the front rise, the back tape gives you the back rise and the long tape gives you the inseam.

Believe me, when I'm measuring a whole bunch of men or boys for a costume gig, this is the ONLY WAY. I want to be measuring! Don't want any unsavory accusations as a result of my need to get measurements!

Thanks Jean, now I get how it works...

ceiliam
May 30th, 2015, 02:27 PM
Dont tell the men the crotch tape are shorter..lol

snippet
June 1st, 2015, 08:03 AM
Ah Jean, that explains it all. The picture didn't do it justice. But now I understand thanks to your description. If buy one in a heartbeat if I did garment making for others. Thanks.