PDA

View Full Version : My youngest son graduates tonight! :)

sewlucky
May 28th, 2015, 06:59 PM
It is my baby's high school graduation tonight. You know you don't wear make up too often when you decide you should step it up for the special event but then realize you've moved and you can't find your make up bag...oops. I know it is somewhere safe...:lol:

Terri

Sonic
May 28th, 2015, 07:47 PM
Look at it this way...you know you're going to cry your make up off anyway, right? So you've just saved yourself the dark runny mascara marks which always happen because no makeup is cry proof! None!

Congrats to you and your "youngster." Take lots of pictures...and tissues. :icon_bigsmile:

irishrn
May 28th, 2015, 08:15 PM
Congratulations for your son's graduation! He may be graduating tonight, but you earned that diploma too mom!!!

Carrie J
May 28th, 2015, 08:15 PM
Congratulations to both of you! Make up? In a case like this, ya know you're gonna cry, so avoid mascara :D! As Sonic says, 'Lots of pictures and tissues!"

Sandy Navas
May 28th, 2015, 08:16 PM
Please tell him that there are a whole lot of women (and men) sending him special CONGRATULATION messages - the best to him, always.

Leave the search for make-up far behind you. The men are supposed to be the ones with the flashy clothes and make-up. (Ref: Birds of a Feather).

Monique
May 28th, 2015, 08:18 PM
Please tell him that there are a whole lot of women (and men) sending him special CONGRATULATION messages - the best to him, always.

Leave the search for make-up far behind you. The men are supposed to be the ones with the flashy clothes and make-up. (Ref: Birds of a Feather).

I second what Sandy said. That should make him blush.

stationarymom
May 29th, 2015, 01:47 AM
Congratulations to your son and you!

Miss Sheri
May 29th, 2015, 01:51 AM
Yeah! It is an odd and wonderful feeling when the last one reaches this special milestone. (My baby just did this last year). You will be looking at an empty nest before you know it, times are a changing, so enjoy each and every day together.

BobW
May 29th, 2015, 01:55 AM
Congratulations on your sons graduation. I hope a great time was had by all, even if you couldn't find the make up bag. You can get instructions from some of the bag ladies on here on how to make a new make up bag. LOL

sewlucky
May 29th, 2015, 01:58 AM
I did cry! ;) It was a nice commencement ceremony with some wonderful performances by some of the artistic kids in the school, along with motivational congratulatory speeches from staff and valedictorian. Here, the commencement ceremony is followed the next evening with a prom and dinner. Our son chose not to go to the (very expensive - $90/plate expensive, not including formal wear finery...which turns out to be a not so great buffet dinner with 1500 of your closest friends...we did it with the first two and this son came along to son #1's so he does know what he's missing, lol) dinner and we are having a relaxing BBQ here at home tomorrow night with family and friends.

Not much embarrasses this young man, he's used to me sharing and he really doesn't mind...he's a laid-back, easy-going and friendly guy :) He's been talking about his post-secondary plans this week too. I guess he really is growing up! Sigh.

Thanks all.

Terri

sewlucky
May 29th, 2015, 01:59 AM
Congratulations on your sons graduation. I hope a great time was had by all, even if you couldn't find the make up bag. You can get instructions from some of the bag ladies on here on how to make a new make up bag. LOL

LOL Bob! That's true! Actually, I watched Jenny's tutorial on making a pouch bag! The one I've lost was a gift from a friend with a 50's lady on it that says in a speech bubble, "Why yes, I AM over-qualified!" I love that bag! LOL

Kgrammiecaz
May 29th, 2015, 02:11 AM
The BBQ sounds like an awesome idea. Congrats to your son. Its hard to watch them grow up so darn fast.

MayinJerset
May 29th, 2015, 03:00 AM
Congrats to the Grad. Think your BBQ with family and friends is the best way to celebrate.

Andrea F
May 29th, 2015, 04:33 AM
Congratulations! Barbecue with friends and family sounds wonderful to celebrate this milestone.

rebeccas-sewing
May 29th, 2015, 05:01 AM
Congrats to your baby! I'm glad to hear you're planning to get emotional. That tells me that perhaps those high school years were a good experience for all concerned and you hate to see them come to a close. Makeup is overrated. hahaha

I'm still waiting for the empty nest. When does that happen? I've got a 28 and a soon-to-be 25 year-old. Neither one has completely flown the coop. Both are still working to complete their college degrees. When I say coop I actually mean our budget. hahaha

I don't think I shed a single tear when mine graduated. High school was not a happy time in my life. Two rebellious girls who just about put me in the loony bin. I was expecting a whole different scenario. It just goes to show it's not wise to have preconceived notions. My high school experience was so wholesome, warm and fuzzy. I was fairly sheltered and naive in those days - small graduating class, nice kids for the most part, cows in the fields, etc. This was far from the setting my girls experienced once they hit middle school. All I can say is I'm so glad those years are behind us. On a positive note they are both becoming fine women and I'm very proud of the two of them.

sewlucky
May 29th, 2015, 02:22 PM
Rebecca, I think high school graduation is always a mixed blessing. I gave up a lot of preconceived notions awhile back, when this young son was diagnosed with muscular dystrophy when he was not quite 2. He, and his brother and sister, have taught us so much. They are "good kids", and really haven't given us any real problems, but it still doesn't mean we make it through these years without a lot of angst.

With 4-5 years between each of these grads I have changed my thoughts on so much - when DD graduated first I heard people talking about not going to the celebration and I was flabbergasted "why would you NOT go???!". When DS#1 graduated I had been to one such celebration which was really about the kids and not for the parents at all (yet we were all there?) and I was thinking maybe its not a big deal....we went because he wanted to.

This year DS#2 missed grad photo day at the school, and even the handshake photo with the principal at the school. I am seriously not gutted or worried in the least. DD had grad photos taken, we paid for the sitting, and she hated them and wouldn't allow me to order any. I have lovely photos of her at commencement and banquet. DS#1 had grad photos taken, we paid for the sitting, and he threw away the proofs because he hated them...I didn't even get to see them! My fave photos of his milestone are at the commencement. I took two or three lovely photos of DS#2 last night before we headed out, and a selfie of hubby, and he and I...I'm pleased as punch and it cost me nothing. And I am looking forward to the evening tonight with people who we love celebrating this young man!

Oh, and we are also terrible parents who never gave our kids "grad gifts". We helped with school costs, and for this son in particular we've spent (and will spend) thousands of dollars supporting his athletic development. We figure we aren't done celebrating any of them yet and a token gift (or money to spend) won't make any difference to them over time. We can't remember our own grad gifts!

Terri

SallyO'Sews
May 29th, 2015, 02:25 PM
Congratulations, Mom! Hope you have a wonderful time celebrating your young man's accomplishments.

sewlucky
May 29th, 2015, 02:28 PM
Oh! And what made me cry was not DS#2 walking across the stage at all, it was this story that his vice principal and grade coordinator read during his speech:

Inspirational articles from Living Life Fully (http://www.livinglifefully.com/flo/flobemermaids.htm)

I was much more emotional when this DS#2 wheeled out for the opening ceremonies of both Canada Games events that he has been part of. The athletic stage is his place, and funny enough, I knew more of the kids from across Canada involved in the Games than I knew in his graduating class of about 400 kids.

Terri

rebeccas-sewing
May 29th, 2015, 02:56 PM
Wow, Terri. Thanks for filling us in. Have a wonderful time celebrating this milestone. He sounds like a great kid. I can tell by your writing that you are very proud of him. Love the story. Definitely brought tears to these old eyes.

sewlucky
May 29th, 2015, 03:12 PM
Wow, Terri. Thanks for filling us in. Have a wonderful time celebrating this milestone. He sounds like a great kid. I can tell by your writing that you are very proud of him. Love the story. Definitely brought tears to these old eyes.

I think you probably know a couple of beautiful mermaids <3

WendyI
May 29th, 2015, 03:58 PM
Congrats to your son! And good for him for not falling for all the pomp and circumstance associated with Prom. Mine was disappointing and I wished I had never gone.

Bubby
May 29th, 2015, 04:10 PM
Congratulations, Terri! I know how proud you are of him. Make-up is optional.a

songbird857
May 30th, 2015, 02:33 PM
Congratulations Terri :)

auntiemern
May 30th, 2015, 11:47 PM
Congrats on the graduation. It is so fulfilling to get them there, yet so sad to realize how grown up they are. I bawled like a baby at my DD's graduation. The second I saw her walking, it was all over.