PDA

View Full Version : My curbside find

meliswan
May 27th, 2015, 06:34 PM
DS and I went to the neighborhood pool yesterday and as we were leaving I see a piece of furniture on the curb. At this point DS groans (I may have a problem picking stuff up, but I'll never admit it!). We drive up to it and stop. It is the most gorgeous roll top desk! I get out and look all over and it is in very good condition, minimum flaws. I tell DS I WANT that!!! He says, "where are you gonna put it, and what will you do with it?" Me: "I don't know,but I'm getting it,". DS: " that won't fit in the jeep, and what will daddy say." (Did I mention I might have a slight problem getting furniture off the curb?). So I send a pic to DH (he works from home) and I call him. He answers the phone with "let me guess, that is in the jeep". ME: "no I coming home for the truck and I need your help loading it!"

I run home grab DH and say this won't take but a minute, switch to the truck, race around the block, because I know that in the 5 mins I have been gone somebody will drive by (deep in the neighborhood at 1pm) and snatch it from me.

As we picked it up I realized what a great piece it is because it weighed a TON. That is a solid wood desk. Not a piece of particle board to be found.

Now I just have to find a place to put it.....

Ugh picture won't load.... ETA: loaded

April R
May 27th, 2015, 07:01 PM
Why did someone get rid of that? Its beautiful

KPH
May 27th, 2015, 07:01 PM
Wow! That's an amazing find!

Sandy Navas
May 27th, 2015, 07:06 PM
That's MY desk!!! I set it out for the furniture refinisher to pick up . . . aw, shucks.

I used to do the same thing and Al would shake his head. He had a fit one time because I picked up a living room chair at the side of the road (he even threatened to put a bag over his head and dirt on the license plate so he couldn't be identified). I bough upholstery fabric on clearance for $5 and recovered the chair and sold it for $75. After that he didn't bother me too much about my curbside finds.

songbird857
May 27th, 2015, 07:22 PM
That is gorgeous! Nice find :)

Midge
May 27th, 2015, 07:23 PM
That's a beautiful roll top. What a fabulous find! All of us treelawn shoppers are green with envy today.

shirleyknot
May 27th, 2015, 07:46 PM
Oh lord thats lovely and worth a fair bit too.

Monique
May 27th, 2015, 08:05 PM
That is some FIND!!

quiltingtrish
May 27th, 2015, 08:07 PM
That's sure a pretty one!
My DH and I bought an Amish made one - our first purchase together ever. We use it all the time. Right now it's in my quilting room.
I also pick things up curbside. Have found some wonderful items.

KathyCrofoot
May 27th, 2015, 08:20 PM
That is a great find! I never find cool stuff on the side of the road here - mostly college kid cast-offs - ripped and torn or busted all to heck.

dizzyLiz
May 27th, 2015, 08:27 PM
That is beautiful......I have the perfect chair to go with it that I picked up ate the DUMP...........picture in my albums

SuzyQue
May 27th, 2015, 08:40 PM
Some people have all the luck! Great find!

meliswan
May 27th, 2015, 09:30 PM
Why did someone get rid of that? Its beautiful

I have no idea. Hopefully they didn't set it out for somebody else to pick up. If they did, oops!:icon_hihi:

It is in the garage now. Needs one drawer glued and a little Old English and that's it. I may have to get rid of something to find a place for it!

bhaggerty
May 27th, 2015, 09:56 PM
so fabulous! great find!!

Carrie J
May 27th, 2015, 10:05 PM
Some days are diamonds, and I'd say that's a 5 carat find for sure! Great snag!!! :D

sewbizzy
May 27th, 2015, 10:51 PM
Beautiful desk...I also don't know where I would put it, but I would have picked it up too!
What a great find....lucky you!

AuntieVic
May 27th, 2015, 11:00 PM
Great find!

easyquilts
May 27th, 2015, 11:05 PM
I can't believe that gorgeous thing was unwanted.... Lucky you...problem or not...

Grandma Nan
May 27th, 2015, 11:21 PM
I just have 3 words A MAZ ING. Some people have all the luck.

Ginny B
May 27th, 2015, 11:28 PM
OMG-- gorgeous!

Lilly
May 27th, 2015, 11:47 PM
Sadly we had to get rid of (fast) one just like that. We had already downsized and when Dad died we had 3 days!! to get rid of all his stuff or pay another month's rent and as he lived 400 miles away from any of us we just begged people to take the beautiful things.

SallyO'Sews
May 28th, 2015, 12:11 AM
Wow - that is just gorgeous!

Bubby
May 28th, 2015, 02:23 AM
What a great find!

rebeccas-sewing
May 28th, 2015, 04:28 AM
Midge - I now know a classier way to tell people I pick up what other people set out for the trash - tree lawn shopper! What the heck? Why would anyone set out such a nice piece of furniture? I would at least try to sell it or give it to charity. I guess they couldn't be bothered.

amartin24
May 28th, 2015, 10:15 AM
Great find! It looks like oak. I have a gorgeous antique oak piece with the mirror on top in my foyer. From the curb! My brother always goes to the wealthy shore town near him on bulk trash days. Amazing the finds he gets. I need to remind him about looking out for sewing machines.
If you can't find a place for it in your house, you can clean it up just a bit and put on Craigslist. Make some money for some fabric!

WendyI
May 28th, 2015, 10:29 AM
THAT is an incredible find! Put some new hardware on it and it'll look amazing!! And solid wood is incredibly difficult to find these days for sure! Congrats!

Grandma G
May 28th, 2015, 11:31 AM
Wow! I can't believe someone would consider this trash! Fantastic find and way to go!!

carolynrae
May 28th, 2015, 11:47 AM
That is beautiful!

cyndiofthevortex
May 28th, 2015, 02:42 PM
Some woman was mad at her husband so she took his favorite desk out of the study and put it out on the curb. Teach him to fight with her!

Betsy D
May 28th, 2015, 03:44 PM
Wow, what a find!

Juliet Taylor
May 28th, 2015, 07:34 PM
Wow that is so gorgeous!

redcaboose1717
May 28th, 2015, 07:48 PM
Geez.....I have wanted a roll top desk for years and years ( opps ....now I am probably close to admitting my age !!)
What a great find !!! Congrats ....

alliek
May 28th, 2015, 08:57 PM
I would never have left that either!Beautiful old desk, I'm sure you will find the perfect space. You had a great day!!!!