PDA

View Full Version : Prayers for Houston

auntiemern
May 27th, 2015, 10:17 AM
It is so sad what is happening to those living in and around Houston. They need our prayers. Not sure who in our group fits that category, but Snippet (Carol) and Madame Polo (Joyce) come to mind as Texans. Sending prayers to all there.

Iris Girl
May 27th, 2015, 10:30 AM
Sending my heartfelt wishes that all will work out ok for these folks.

buckeyequilter
May 27th, 2015, 10:47 AM
It is so sad what is happening to those living in and around Houston. They need our prayers. Not sure who in our group fits that category, but Snippet (Carol) and Madame Polo (Joyce) come to mind as Texans. Sending prayers to all there.

bhaggerty (Bernadette), I heard from her and all is ok with her.

DeniseSm
May 27th, 2015, 10:50 AM
Its not just Houston. I live in north east Texas. The flooding is very bad here. Roads and entire towns under water. Flash floods. People have died.

WendyI
May 27th, 2015, 11:01 AM
So crazy! Hope everyone is safe!

Carrie J
May 27th, 2015, 11:23 AM
Texas has had historical rainfall this year, it has affected many folks in many areas. Not to mention Missouri, Kansas, Arkansas, Oklahoma. Prayers have been ongoing for many. Especially those whose lives were and are still being lost. They say it takes a flood to cure a drought in Texas, no truer words were spoken, This year many 100 year flood plains were surpassed and then some here. Thanks for the post not only for members here, but any and all hit hard by flood waters this year.

Shirley
May 27th, 2015, 11:30 AM
Prayers for all our Texas friends!!

Bubby
May 27th, 2015, 11:58 AM
It's heartbreaking to see what is happening there. They have my prayers.

Dollyquilts
May 27th, 2015, 12:04 PM
I'm in NW Houston, actually unincorporated Harris County. We were slammed yesterday and today, but fortunately today's system was faster-moving than yesterday's. They actually suspended public transportation for a while yesterday. First responders couldn't reach people yesterday because their equipment couldn't navigate the high water.

I am fine, no water intrusion and my street isn't flooded. I'm ready for the drought that we've had for the previous 10 years to return. We are waterlogged here, and we may get more rain this afternoon. My prayers go out to all who have lost family members in Texas and have had their property destroyed. The Red Cross is accepting donations for Texas. Our governor declared pretty much all of Texas a disaster area.

irishrn
May 27th, 2015, 12:14 PM
I'm currently watching coverage on CNN and there is a dam that is causing concern. I feel so bad for all in the area. They are currently pumping water over the dam to delay the structure breaking but they believe the dam will break today. Homes evacuated and lots of farm land in this dams path. God help those in the area.

Squeaky
May 27th, 2015, 02:01 PM
Safe here in Katy to the west of Houston proper, but I have two friends whose houses took on water. A few inches in one, a foot and a half in the other. All of their family and pets are accounted for, so things are just things and can be replaced.

I've been able to work from home so I haven't had to venture out onto flooded streets getting in and out of the city, thankfully.

Cathy F
May 27th, 2015, 02:22 PM
Adding my prayers for safety for all our members living in those areas.

Grandma G
May 27th, 2015, 06:43 PM
Marilyn - I live a little north of Houston. The storms came through here before moving on into Houston. My son who lives in Houston had texted me late Monday night to check on us and I told him the house was shaking from the thunder and the rain was pouring buckets. I told him it was headed his way. Then yesterday morning he sent me a photo of the flagpole in his backyard that bent over from the base like it was made of aluminum foil and it was a very sturdy flagpole that survived Hurricane Ike several years ago. He also had some fence down. Our house sits higher up than some in our area so we didn't have any flooding but even now there is still water draining from the yards a little higher than ours and running across the end of our driveway so fast that you can see it rippling like a stream. My neighbors at the bottom of the street have very swampy yards.

It is also so sad what has happened in Wimberly, Texas and all the people that are still missing that lived or were vacationing along the Blanco River.

All our local tv stations had coverage all day and it was so very sad to see how many people lost their lives. And we are expecting more rain.

I'm ready for this weather to give us a break.

pcbatiks
May 27th, 2015, 07:41 PM
Praying for all those affected by these floods in Texas. It's an unbelievable amount of devastation and so sad about the flash flooding in Wimberly. We took a mini vacation there a couple of years ago.......such a pretty area.

Glad to hear our Texas forum friends are okay.

JaniceR
May 27th, 2015, 08:00 PM
I live in North Texas now but am a native Houstonian. It is worse in Houston now than I have ever seen in all the 57 years I lived there. Just awful. Also very very tragic situation in the Wimberley, Tx area. We used to vacation in Wimberley along the Blanco River with our kids when they were young. We were there one year and experienced a flash flood first hand although nothing as horrible as this latest one.

I never understood what a flash flood looked like or could do until we were there that summer. The Blanco River went from basically a trickling stream where you could cross the entire river without water even up to your knee to a raging river totally out of its banks within just a few short minutes. We stood alongside with other campers watching in amazement as people's piers, decks that had been torn off houses, huge complete uprooted trees, and many other items came rushing down that river as if they were twigs or toys. At one point a small road that was a few feet above normal water levels got covered by the water and the raging water created a "boil" beside it catching an ice chest for example in it and tossing it up in the air about 20 feet only to come down and get caught in the boil of water again tossing it up in the air over and over until it finally spit it out.

When I heard the horrible story of the family with children who were caught in a vacation house that got swept off its moorings and swept down the river slamming it into a bridge and breaking the house completely apart, I felt just sick. After seeing what we did, I understand what the force of water can do. The father of 2 survived and is in the hospital with multiple injuries but his wife and 2 children are still missing as well as the couple who owned the home.

I have had a very hard time getting them off my mind and keep remembering what that river looked like. Please keep that young father and all the many victims and their families and friends affected by all this flooding in Texas as well as all the other states and areas in your prayers. Several people are still missing here in Texas. Life can change drastically in a heartbeat.

kensington
May 27th, 2015, 08:11 PM
They are having a rough time down there. They do need prayer. And they may get more rain. :9(

easyquilts
May 27th, 2015, 11:12 PM
It's really been so bad down there...... Prayers for everyone....

snippet
May 29th, 2015, 06:49 AM
It is bad all over the state it seems. I'm fine though. I spent the Memorial Day weekend at a friend's place that borders the San Antonio river. It rained pretty heavy Saturday night. Sunday we woke up to the river rising beyond it's banks, but we were still safe. The county sheriff came by and said the river was expected to crest at 45 feet - which meant the house would be safe but not the pool area. So we cleared the pool chairs, volleyball net, canopies, pumps, and whatever was in the pool bathrooms and brought them to higher ground. And then we ate lunch and watched the river rise. It's so amazing and scary to see the power of flowing water.

Keep those who are still lost in your prayers. I really feel for the dad who lost his family in the flooding.

stitching woman
May 29th, 2015, 09:01 AM
So glad to see all of our Texas friends are ok so far. Stay safe from this next round of storms. Prayers for all of you.