PDA

View Full Version : Night Owl can't figure out what day it is

kimsophia
May 27th, 2015, 01:59 AM
Woke up just in time for midnight...how are you all doing? Hoot! @,@

stationarymom
May 27th, 2015, 02:03 AM
Hi I'm a tired Owl tonight,I spent the day with my GF's mother again today.It was a very long and hard day,she was in a lot of pain and moving her around was that much more difficult today.I haven't done any sewing I'm just to tired by the time I get home from there.I hope everyone had a good holiday weekend.

MayinJerset
May 27th, 2015, 02:43 AM
I don't know about you gals but it's 1:30am Wednesday here, I think, LOL! Had PT today followed by food shopping so I had no energy left for any sewing. Did clean up leftovers from GGS's quilt and took a photo of it for my album - posted photo in Show and Tell.

This evening I had a phone sewing consultation with my sister Carol. She's making a new cover for the awning of an outdoor love seat and wanted some advice sewing the thicker fabric. She has the project well in hand and the only advice I could offer her was to use a heavy needle like a Jean's one. She recently began attending meetings for the guild in her area and has been welcomed very nicely so I think she will join the guild. She's volunteered to bring a dish to their June meeting and is making some items for a sale to raise funds for families who lost their homes and possessions because of Hurricane Sandy.

Andrea F
May 27th, 2015, 02:54 AM
Good morning night owls, hope you all had a fantabulous weekend. I'm trying to wake up and get ready for work which is kind of difficult after five days off. I just want to crawl back in my bed.

I sewed the backpack and the beach bag this weekend as I planned to do, both are almost done. Have to wait for a piece of hardware for the backpack. The beach bag only needs a few big buttonholes and the strap attached but my Janome only makes one buttonhole right and the next one isn't working. I don't know why that is yet. Hope to send them out this week, they are both for friends.

Joan, I'm sorry to hear about your GF's mother, hope she feels better soon and you get the well deserved rest!

Have a good night and a wonderful day!

kimsophia
May 27th, 2015, 03:39 AM
So far I'm pre-shrinking all the baby print flannels I bought at Jo-Ann's sale. I guess I should have snipped all the edges to "rag quilt" them before washing as they frayed so badly I had to cut them apart and out of the washer :P I bought them for bibs but now I am kicking baby blanket ideas around. The fabrics are so sweet and silly. One looks like baby hypnotoads from Futurama. :)

Lightwriter
May 27th, 2015, 06:13 AM
Woke up 4:30. Guess all the other owls flew back in their snug little trees. DH better. Still no test results.

Found a bunch of my grandmother's hankies and on the same day saw butterfly hankie quilt on forum. Decided I just had to use hankies to honor grandmother...she lived with us and we had a special bond. Got 8 of 9 hankies folded and appliquéd. Would have gotten 9th, but had to unsew 2... Material shifted on me even with pins. A headache attacked and I gave up.

Probably not much sewing today...go with DH back to Dr. And then mow. Hope the headache doesn't reappear.

Well, that 'a my hoot for the night. Have a good day, fellow night owls.

kimsophia
May 27th, 2015, 07:23 AM
I'm taking a break from my flannel adventures. I decided I wanted the burp cloth to be larger so I'm converting it into two little bibs. Good thing these are just for drooling on so they don't have to be fussy....Personally I would be proud to drool on Vikings...
Snuggle Flannel Fabric Vikings at Joann.com (http://www.joann.com/snuggle-flannel-fabric-vikings/14016125.html#q=flannel+vikings&start=1)

AND NOW IN ULTRA CUDDLE: Snuggle Flannel Fabric Vikings at Joann.com (http://www.joann.com/snuggle-flannel-fabric-vikings/14016125.html#q=flannel+vikings&start=1)

lol

Sandy Navas
May 27th, 2015, 10:00 AM
So far I'm pre-shrinking all the baby print flannels I bought at Jo-Ann's sale. I guess I should have snipped all the edges to "rag quilt" them before washing as they frayed so badly I had to cut them apart and out of the washer :P I bought them for bibs but now I am kicking baby blanket ideas around. The fabrics are so sweet and silly. One looks like baby hypnotoads from Futurama. :)

When I prewash flannel I take the raw edges (with the fabric folded selvage to selvage) and serge the raw edge (a zig-zag would also work) and that prevents the severe fraying and tangling you had.

toggpine
May 27th, 2015, 11:32 AM
I serge all of the raw edges before I pre-wash. I buy the cheap, house-brand thread at J's when it's BOGO or 50% off. It doesn't have to hold a seam, just stop the raveling. It makes a huge difference.
If you don't have a serger, Sandy is right, a zig-zag or even a short stitch length straight line will reduce the thread snarls.

As for flannel baby blankets, I made them 42/45" square and used the rolled hem feature on my serger for a quick edge finish. That is bigger than a standard receiving blankie, but they make better nursing covers and grow with the kids longer. I used one on Em a couple of nights ago, she zonked on the couch and it was too warm for a heavy quilt, but the flannel was just enough to keep the chill off. At 9 that's a good run for a baby blanket! I also keep one in the car during the summer and change it out with a fleece one in the winter.

I was too tuckered to find the tree last night. Not sure what's up with us lately, but we are just exhausted by 9 PM no matter what we've done. It's like wading through a bog. Crazy. We've got too much to do to be moving in slow motion! I had better check to make sure Hubby didn't buy decaf coffee the last time he was at Costco....