PDA

View Full Version : Wednesday, Wednesday

Blondie
May 20th, 2015, 07:02 AM

Howdy Doody, Folksies!

It's that time of week again. Wednesday. Middle of the week. Hump Day. Time to get busy day. Countdown to the weekend for many - but for me? It's another day in paradise. Always. Even if it really isn't, it will always be. Each day I look for reasons to be happy about something. So, what can I be happy about today you ask? Hmmmm. Well, you can start with having a second cup of coffee, which I just sat down with. mmmm, that's so good. You can also be happy that you have the bestest besties in the whole wide world sitting here with you, reading, learning, supporting, cheering, egging you on. Wait! Egging you on? What does that mean? I have always heard that expression. Egging you on - as in throwing eggs at you? I don't think I like being pelted with eggs. It may make you happy or laugh but I have the strange feeling that the only one laughing is the one throwing them. So, no eggs please. How about showering praise with hershey bars? It doesn't flow from the tongue as quaintly but it works for me. Will work for chocolate. And coffee.

So, today I will be with Tyler again. All day. And tomorrow as well. Yesterday I didn't have to be over there which was a good thing since Middle Son Josh and my alternate universe son, Ricky came over and we headed down The Hill to Moms. We had powerful amounts of poison ivy to dig and pull up. We dressed appropriately and patrolled the flower beds where Sis and I had noted that toxic stuff. Ricky has always been immune to it, so I am hoping that still holds true. After we finished down there, we threw the gloves out, scrubbed ourselves raw with octagon soap. I know we didn't get all the runners of it - it is so pernicious - but hey! I can see in the flower beds a bit better. Mom was out there supervising us. For someone who says she can't see well, she sure has an eagle eye.

Remember those dear ones here who are struggling with pain, heartache and are in a very uncomfortable place mentally, emotionally and physically. Sowing seeds of kindness helps us in the future to reap the same. Trust me, we can all use some considerate kindness.

SMILE!!!!!!!!!!!

JAM
May 20th, 2015, 07:09 AM
Thank you!

EnumclawGramma
May 20th, 2015, 07:28 AM
Mornin' Blondie! Thanks for my daily dose of happy, kindness, joy and love ❤. I've got 5 Grands today, so up and at em! Have a wonderful Wednesday!

Hugs and Prayers...

Plentziana
May 20th, 2015, 07:45 AM
Wednesday midweek as Blondie says, but this is getting very long to me, we have some rainy days that leave you a little sad, but tomorrow IŽll capital Bilbao with one of my daughters and had a great time, eat a restaurant, we shop and see the new things that have come up for next season, so I hope the next day and today I wish a happy day for everyone, and prayers for all who need it

irishrn
May 20th, 2015, 07:58 AM
Morning all! Hump day for sure. I've been a busy girl on a mission.
Decided it was time to redo the bedroom after many years of neglect! Have ordered hardwood flooring for the master bedroom and living room. So it's time to purge all that stuff that has accululated. Started with the filing cabinet and desk first. Took out 5 large trash bags of shredding. Can you believe I had tax forms from the early 1990's, and some court papers (divorce) from 1982!!!!!
Next was the hope chest! DH had 19 wool sweaters in there, all but 4 definitely meant for NY winter weather, not NC!!
Moved the desk top computer to the sewing room. All set up now!
Today it's sort thru papers I put aside for closer review and filing.
But I must get the baby quilt top finished too!!! Baby is coming 5/22! DH's 6th great grand is coming down in Charlotte! It's a girl:-)
Tomorrow is early morning doctors appointment. Possible cystoscope planned. Haven't told DH yet cause he frets too much over these things!
So wishing all a beautiful day full of sunny skies and hugs! Hopefully you all avoided the bad weather yesterday and overnight!

Monique
May 20th, 2015, 07:58 AM
Good morning from plattsburgh. We arrived here yesterday. We were meeting a friend of les who gave us tickets to a red Sox game on Saturday. Today we are off to new Hampshire and keepsake quilting. Happy happy me.

Have a wonderful day.

Ginny B
May 20th, 2015, 08:07 AM
Good morning. Yes, it's Wednesday but it's also my Friday at work. After today, I am off until next Tuesday. It's going to be a busy and fun 5 days. Tomorrow I will be finishing up anything that needs to be finished for the Craft Fair on Friday. Then Saturday is a Yankee game with dh and two of my sons. Sunday will be the Air Show that dh looks so forward to each year. I love the beach but I don't really enjoy the crowds that day. But he really likes it so I pack up a bunch of things to keep me busy (hand sewing, Kindle, quilting mags, etc.) and off we will go for the day. Monday --- we will stay home and relax!

Have a great Wednesday everyone.

oldsewer
May 20th, 2015, 08:13 AM
For the record Blondie, brush killer is the answer to poison ivy. When you have a real invasion, it is really impossible to kill it any other way. You can buy brush killer products in any garden or farm supply store in containers with sprayers attached that allow you to spray in a very controlled way. Get a large piece of scrap cardboard, hold it against the plant you do NOT want to kill, and spray the ivy. Works great, and that particular plant will not come back. It gets in close around my peonies really bad, and gradually I'm getting it eliminated. If you are organic of course this will not work. In that case, try a mixture of the cheapest white vinegar and dish soap(Dawn works well). Again, protect the plant you want to save with cardboard. Will make the ivy suffer, but may not kill the roots. At least you will suppress it and reduce the danger of it to human and animals. I have always been really allergic to poison ivy and I really hate the stuff, so I spend a lot of time on poison patrol. Best wishes on the hunt and kill!

songbird857
May 20th, 2015, 08:19 AM
Go Red Sox!!! -
.......oh, and good morning ;) Have fun at that game, Monique. I don't follow baseball as much as I used to - I don't even know any of the new players - but if you grow up in Boston you ARE a fan - you practically come out of the womb cheering for them. One of the high schools I went to was on one of the side streets that faced Fenway, so we learned to dodge traffic during afternoon games - back when they had afternoon games.
Poison Ivy Blondie - no thank you... ick.... :)
Well, my girls are done with school for the summer - yay!! DD#1 just landed a great job at the YMCA which could lead to bigger and better things there when she gets her Nutrition degree - thank you Jesus! DD#2 would like to be gainfully employed this summer and is checking into some opportunities that may or may not pan out. If they don't, it's all good - she will take more CLEP tests so she can eliminate a semester's worth of work over the summer.

I made good progress last night on 'Lexington' - I sewed up more than half of the charms for the HST's - should finish the rest today. Then cutting them and pressing, then layout!!! I bought the Aurifil pack from M* when it was the DD, so I decided to use the light beige (I ordered a bigger spool last night too - should be here in 2 days). I adore this thread so far! I don't know, it just 'feels good' to sew with it... my machine seems to really like it! Just to let you know, the 220 yd spool is enough to sew all of my charms into HST's (the equivalent of 10 charm packs with the extra ivory I threw in there) - top thread and bobbin thank you very much.
I also figured out a good way for me to ensure that I'm not going to have to fudge the HST's to make them all 4.5". I draw the lines on either side of the center diagonal and sew those, but I was nervous that if I am even a tiny bit off of that line, that I'll come up short when trimming, so.... I moved my needle to 0.8 - I'm still feeding the line at the center of my presser foot, but the stitch is now a hair to the right - juuuuust inside the seam allowance - gives me peace of mind! I'm getting excited about playing with the HST's when they are done :)
...... Why can I almost never just write a short good morning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????
Anyway - hope everyone has a great day - it's looking to be beautiful weather here :)

Bubby
May 20th, 2015, 08:51 AM
Morning Everyone,

Jeff is home from work again today. This is his second day on antibiotics and his fever is under control now. Have you ever heard about vinegar socks? When my DD was little she would run fevers high enough to cause convulsions. My MIL told me to soak a pair of cotton socks in white vinegar and wring them out and put them on my DD. Usually after one hour her fever would be gone. I don't know if there is any science to this, but I know it worked for us for many years. I did the same with Jeff yesterday because we couldn't get his fever below 102.8. After wearing vinegar socks for an hour his temp was normal and it's still normal this morning. He smells a little like salad dressing, but he feels so much better.

Yesterday I made the binding for three quilt projects. I hope to find time today to sew the binding on the Illusion quilt and also sew some more rows of the curved log cabin quilt. I hope to get a few more items to Reggie soon.

We are supposed to have rain for the next several days. They say we will get another 5-6 inches. Everything is totally saturated now and the Girls come in so wet from walking on the grass. Dottie can't deal with dirty feet, so I've washed a LOT of little paws lately.

Wishing you all a happy Wednesday....

Grandma Nan
May 20th, 2015, 09:18 AM
Hi folks- Isn't it a great morning to be alive. Blondie, you are right we need to spend more time being grateful about something. I feel very happy to be having a day in my sewing room. I also am very happy that my sister has taken up quilting. We just finished a beginner class together (I took it to support her) and now she is hooked too. Actually it was like shooting fish in a barrel getting her hooked. I knew as soon as I got her to agree to take the class that she would be gone. HeeeeHaw.

We had a great guild meeting last night. I have joined a new guild and they are so friendly. This is so much better than the last group I was in- it was too large and people were not very open to new members. They did have some beautiful trunk shows and interesting presenters though.

I hope everyone has a good day but I realize that some people are going through difficult times and serious illness; so prayers are going out to you.

I have a mystery quilt I need to get going on, I am a little behind but the great reveal is not until September so I still have time to get caught up. Virtual hugs to all my friends.

KPH
May 20th, 2015, 09:20 AM
Happy Wednesday!

I have the last blocks of Feb.'s itty bitty's basket cut and hopefully will get those done this morning.

The CNA came yesterday to give mom her bath. Tomorrow the nurse will come. I guess her red bottom will be a topic for conversation.

I called yesterday to make my yearly allergist check up to find out he's moving to a new office, even further away. So, I asked where other branches of the practice were. One's in Gastonia, a whole lot closer than the south end of Charlotte. Amazingly, I have an appointment for today! Whoo hooo, two days out of the house in a row. I guess I'll decide later if I like this doctor or not, there are a bunch of them that work out of that office as well.

DH is calling someone to put a new roof on our house today. The guy I used to put a roof on Mom's house hasn't called back. So unlike him. He must have a booming business by now.

Have a great day everyone!

Sandy Navas
May 20th, 2015, 09:22 AM
Etymology Lesson #1: This little term has nothing to do with bird's eggs. Nor is it connected with the phrase that employs the other common usage of 'egg' as a verb, that is, 'over-egg the pudding'. The 'egg' of 'egg on' is a straightforward variant of 'edge', so to 'egg someone on' is to edge, or urge, them forward. Egg and edge both have the look and feel of Viking words and this first impressions turns out to be correct, as they both derive from the Old Norse 'eddja'.Egg has been used as a verb in English since around the 13th century and appears in print in the Trinity College Homer, in the form of 'eggede', circa 1200.
To 'egg on' appears later. It is used in Thomas Drant's translation of Horace - Horace his arte of poetrie, pistles and satyrs englished, 1566:

"Ile egge them on to speake some thyng, whiche spoken may repent them."

Sandy Navas
May 20th, 2015, 09:45 AM
When I was a little girl I remember Mom teaching me a song: "Rain, rain, go away. Come again another day. Little Jeanie wants to play." (Before you get excited, I grew up as Jeanie . . . ) And then we sang a song about a rain barrel - is there anyone who knows that song?

"Playmate"
Hey, hey, oh playmate,
Come out and play with me.
You'll bring your dollies three,
Climb up my apple tree.
Cry down my rain barrel,
Slide down my cellar door.
And we'll be jolly friends
Forever more.
So sorry, playmate
I cannot play with you.
My dolly's got the flu.
Boo-hoo-oo-oo-oo.
Can't cry down your rain barrel,
Or slide down your cellar door.
But we'll be jolly friends
Forever more.

Did I tell you that it rained all night and is still coming down? I am starting to feel soggy. If it warmed up I'd probably mold.

MayinJerset
May 20th, 2015, 09:52 AM
I certainly needed someone to 'egg' me on this morning to get up. I woke up early but felt so restful with a cool morning breeze coming in that I just stayed in bed enjoying it. Having my coffee now and thinking of what I need to do this morning, our household and my personal checking account statements arrived yesterday so I'll tackle them. Carpeting needs vacuuming. DH assembled our new vacuum last night and gave it a try in a small area. Boy was he surprised at the amount of stuff it picked up. We'll have plenty more after going over all the carpeting.

Have PT at noon and then food shopping which should lead to an afternoon session on the couch relaxing. Need to set up my machine. Had packed it up on Saturday to bring it in for maintenance at a new Pfaff dealer that's about 1 hr from us. We thought we'd enjoin the ride there and stop for a late lunch/early dinner on the way back. Dealer's ad gave it's street address said it was in Columbus Market, didn't think anything about that as I know of some small shopping centers that use the term market. Well this one turned out to be a big outdoor flea market! There was a market building but no indication where the dealer was located so we left as we couldn't handle toting the heavy machine all around the building looking for the dealer. Now I know why their ad listed Sunday hours.

I remember singing that 'Rain, rain go away" chant when I was a kid, never did work no matter how loud I sang it.

MRoy
May 20th, 2015, 09:57 AM
Good morning! Taking DH back to the chiropractor this morning for another adjustment. He stepped in a hole yesterday afternoon and caused his back to hurt more. Can't get him well for re-hurting himself!

It's grass cutting day here this afternoon. The clover blooms will look so much nicer when they're all cut off. LOL! Happy Hump Day everyone!

P.S. Asking for prayers for a teenaged cousin. He has really bad epilepsy and underwent surgery yesterday to attach an electrode grid to his brain to try to pinpoint and then block the area causing the seizures. He is off all anti-seizure meds and the next couple of weeks may be really rough for him.

ravelim
May 20th, 2015, 09:59 AM
Sandy, I remember rain barrel song. Mom wouldn't sing the second part because she felt it was too naughty to sing.

Sandy Navas
May 20th, 2015, 10:11 AM
Sending prayers for Myrna's DH and cousin.

WendyI
May 20th, 2015, 10:20 AM
Happy Hump Day everyone! I've fallen off the positive thought for the day wagon so must really get back on it...today's positive thought is that the sun is shining and I have a good job and a nice place to live even if I'm broke. LOL!

Myrna, hope your cousin's week is not too hard on him and the culprit of his seizures can be stopped.

Not much is really new here. Still don't have my sewing/spare room set up...was going to work on that this weekend but Saturday I go pick up my new car!! Finally the financing went through so I will be saying a very tearful goodbye to my truck that I love and getting my brand new car. I will SOOOO miss my truck but it's just not practical for me to keep it. The payments are fine...the maintenance is not. So it will be a bittersweet parting.

Then I think Sunday I will spend on my sewing room. Really want to get that organized and set up so I can get back into some projects!

Thinking of everyone going through health and other issues today and sending lots of warm love and hugs!! xoxox

Carrie J
May 20th, 2015, 10:43 AM
Good Morning Blondie and All! :D

Up earlier than usual, sipping coffee and the Forum is my streusel today! I'd like to say I'm enjoying my coffee to the sweet gentle patter of rainfall, but it's more like a thundering herd of horses, LOL! Blondie, hope you have great fun with Tyler, and poison ivy, that stuff is noxious indeed, not to mention it could survive a nuclear attack!!! Don't even think about burning that stuff either, the oils will become airborne and breathable, and have an even worse affect than pulling it! Though raining, it's going to be a busy day in the rain. Seems we're starting to get used to the wet, and just slog along here..................if we ever get a week without rainfall, the whole neighborhood will be dancing in the streets.

Met the newest fur baby on the block yesterday, little yellow Lab pup (10 weeks old) named Lucille (Lucy) for short, what a gem she is! Brought her in so Hubs could meet her, and they just slobbered all over each other, sooooo funny! It's the small things in life that are just so special. My Boston immediately went to her toy stash, and brought everything out. Lucy looked at Maggie with a titled head as if to say, "Where the heck is your TAIL!" They had a grand time tussling and playing, hard to see her go, but we had a great time laughing with our neighbor over it all!

Off to finish coffee with the Hubs, he's up and clamoring for caffeine, hope everyone has a most excellent day, Hugs and Blessing to all, especially those that need them! :D

GrammaBabs
May 20th, 2015, 10:50 AM
I'm still feeling so good after reading this as a portion of the "good night" email from my son last night...I just have to spread the warmth:)
This may sound canned, but you have truly been the best parents from the GO! The more I hear people complain about their childhoods, the more I realize, mine was pretty darn great! :)

Many of you know the struggle and have been such a support to me,,, that I have to share this!
I have so much to be greateful for!!!!

sewluvit
May 20th, 2015, 11:10 AM
When I was a little girl I remember Mom teaching me a song: "Rain, rain, go away. Come again another day. Little Jeanie wants to play." (Before you get excited, I grew up as Jeanie . . . ) And then we sang a song about a rain barrel - is there anyone who knows that song?

"Playmate"
Hey, hey, oh playmate,
Come out and play with me.
You'll bring your dollies three,
Climb up my apple tree.
Cry down my rain barrel,
Slide down my cellar door.
And we'll be jolly friends
Forever more.
So sorry, playmate
I cannot play with you.
My dolly's got the flu.
Boo-hoo-oo-oo-oo.
Can't cry down your rain barrel,
Or slide down your cellar door.
But we'll be jolly friends
Forever more.

Did I tell you that it rained all night and is still coming down? I am starting to feel soggy. If it warmed up I'd probably mold.

Sandy, I grew up singing the same songs! Our neighbors had a long board sidewalk in their back yard and on a rainy day we would carry an umbrella and sing prancing up and down the boardwalk in the rain. One word was different, we sang "shout" down your rain barrel. The harder it rained the better we liked it!

Mpyles
May 20th, 2015, 01:52 PM
Hey all! Good Wednesday morning..saw an opportunity to stay home today and relax so took it...DH ended up staying home and is in bed with his gout. If it's not better tomorrow...gonna make him go back to the dr! Been work ground the house my sister in law came by for a bit this morning..she had a dr apt in Springfield. Had a nice visit. Been cleaning..gonna go do some sewing I believe. Rainy dreary day here! Prayers for all those in need and extras for those not!

ilive2craft2
May 20th, 2015, 09:15 PM
Good evening all - been a long day! Lots of stuff happened today! There is a new member in our family - my niece had her baby this morning - everyone is doing great, little Ryann Claire was 9lbs 12oz. She is a cutie! Need to finish the binding on her quilt. Washer repair man coming tomorrow afternoon, so will be able to get it washed.

Mom had chest pain again today, but wasn't relieved by the nitro, so she had a ride in an ambulance today. They did a heart cath and put in 2 more stents - the total is now 5. Still having some a-fib, so may be in the hospital for several days. Hoping to get that under control with meds. She looked much better and was resting when I left late this afternoon. Will pop back up to check on her here in a bit.

Got new tires and an alignment done on my van after being at the hospital. Had a little retail therapy and time to just hang out with my own thoughts, so it was just what I needed.

Hugs and prayers to all!

ilive2craft2
May 20th, 2015, 09:16 PM
Sandy - we used that song when we did the hand clapping game with a friend. Words were slightly different, but I remember playing that game over and over. The tune is now stuck in my head!

Grandma Nan
May 20th, 2015, 09:47 PM
Sandy we sang the rain songs too. How about that, Didn't know they were international hits.