PDA

View Full Version : oh Sandy Navas.....

bubba
May 14th, 2015, 02:05 AM
It has been brought to my attention that you have an elevator in your house!!!!!! Really???? We must see pictures!

jjkaiser
May 14th, 2015, 02:41 AM
Sandy do tell! Are you holding out on us

Sonic
May 14th, 2015, 08:36 AM
Can I come take a ride??

songbird857
May 14th, 2015, 08:44 AM
Me too, me too!!!! :icon_hi::icon_hi::icon_hi::icon_hi:

Madeforyouinma11
May 14th, 2015, 09:41 AM
You do?!?!?!?!?!?

WendyI
May 14th, 2015, 10:19 AM
Inquiring minds wanna know!!!

Sandy Navas
May 14th, 2015, 10:28 AM
Yes, I have an elevator in my house. I also have a Dumb Waiter.

It goes up and it goes down.

It did not come in the house.

I had it put in because there was only a tiny spiral staircase from the main floor to the basement area and my MIL was coming to live with us. In the same footprint I was able to have an elevator installed - there was no other option as there wasn't room to put in a regular staircase. The 'basement area' is actually totally finished with the guest room, family room and exit to the patio/pool area.

This is not mine, but it is similar:

BobW
May 14th, 2015, 10:34 AM
Yes, I have an elevator in my house. I also have a Dumb Waiter.

Sandy I have met Al and he is not dumb, but he does seem to wait on you. You should be nicer to him! LOL

SallyO'Sews
May 14th, 2015, 11:04 AM
Sandy I have met Al and he is not dumb, but he does seem to wait on you. You should be nicer to him! LOL

Oh, Bob, so glad you are still able to crack wise!

Claire Hallman
May 14th, 2015, 11:41 AM
Never knew that an elevator would fit where a spiral staircase was. That would solve problems for many folks.
I am beginning to think about moving from our house with two floors and a basement but I would really hate to move away from our lovely neighbors and my sewing room.

rebeccas-sewing
May 14th, 2015, 12:34 PM
Claire - having that installed has got to be less expensive compared to moving. I'm curious as to what it actually would cost.

bubba
May 14th, 2015, 01:00 PM
That settles it! If a suspicious person comes knocking at your door w/a quarter in her hand, it's because she wants an elevator ride!! The quarter is to pay for said ride.....or should it be some fat quarters?? hahahaahahahaa!!!!!

easyquilts
May 14th, 2015, 02:16 PM
I'm coming over, too! I love elevators...

Vonnie
May 14th, 2015, 02:37 PM
That was nice to install that for your MIL.

I don't like elevators. I have had two bad experiences.

Bad experience number 1: Day after first son was born, left DH babysitting and made a soda run. We were on the 4th floor of the hospital. The soda machines were on the first floor. The elevator got to the first floor, then fell 1 1/2 feet and the doors would not open. I was in there for 45 minutes. They finally opened the door and found me sitting there - I did not fall - was able to grab hold of that skinny side bar - but sat because I got very tired.

Bad experience number 2: A few years later, was taking night classes toward my bachelors degree. Took the elevator to class. The elevator went to the wrong floor. The top two floors were being remodeled. No lights on, the elevator doors kept opening and closing. It was like a Stephen King novel! Really weird. I was afraid to get out of the elevator because it was very dark and I could tell that it was also very dangerous - large gaping holes. Finally got the doors to stay closed and got it to go to the right floor. Did not use that elevator again. Took the stairs after that.

I do still take elevators just don't like them.

May I suggest that you install a phone in the elevator just in case of emergencies.

Granny Fran
May 14th, 2015, 03:28 PM
I want one, too. Don't want to move and DD thinks we are too dangerous for stairs. That's right, WE are too dangerous for the stairs. :icon_giggle:

Sandy Navas
May 14th, 2015, 03:47 PM
That settles it! If a suspicious person comes knocking at your door w/a quarter in her hand, it's because she wants an elevator ride!! The quarter is to pay for said ride.....or should it be some fat quarters?? hahahaahahahaa!!!!!

I've seen her picture (at the post office, I think) - it has been spread around that she only has wooden nickels though . . .

Sandy Navas
May 14th, 2015, 03:53 PM
That was nice to install that for your MIL.

I don't like elevators. I have had two bad experiences.

Bad experience number 1: Day after first son was born, left DH babysitting and made a soda run. We were on the 4th floor of the hospital. The soda machines were on the first floor. The elevator got to the first floor, then fell 1 1/2 feet and the doors would not open. I was in there for 45 minutes. They finally opened the door and found me sitting there - I did not fall - was able to grab hold of that skinny side bar - but sat because I got very tired.

Bad experience number 2: A few years later, was taking night classes toward my bachelors degree. Took the elevator to class. The elevator went to the wrong floor. The top two floors were being remodeled. No lights on, the elevator doors kept opening and closing. It was like a Stephen King novel! Really weird. I was afraid to get out of the elevator because it was very dark and I could tell that it was also very dangerous - large gaping holes. Finally got the doors to stay closed and got it to go to the right floor. Did not use that elevator again. Took the stairs after that.

I do still take elevators just don't like them.

May I suggest that you install a phone in the elevator just in case of emergencies.

This one is easy to get out of - only one time has there been an incident. The first day my MIL was here Al was taking her down to her room and he leaned up against the emergency switch and stopped the elevator between floors. It was only after I rescued them that we discovered what caused the problem. Al hasn't set foot in the elevator since. We have a rule - I don't get in the elevator unless I have my cell phone with me.

I'll share another elevator story - not here though. I was in an elevator, quitting time at work. Reached the ground floor and there were probably a dozen people on the elevator to get off. Someone wanted on to go up and was crowding in. I grabbed him by the shoulders and walked him out of the elevator, across the hallway and pinned him to the wall. I told him he could have the elevator all by himself but he had to let my friends get off first and I would hold the door for him. There were six elevators in the bank and everyone started applauding. Bet that guy never rushed an elevator again.

WendyI
May 14th, 2015, 04:15 PM
LOL! SANDY you ROCK!! Remind me never to pi$$ you off!

LOVE that you have an elevator...love in an elevatorrrrr!!

Bjvarizona
May 14th, 2015, 04:19 PM
Is this the house that's for sale? Or am I way off track?

Sandy Navas
May 14th, 2015, 07:12 PM
Is this the house that's for sale? Or am I way off track?

The price is right - come on over. Cheap by anyone's budget . . .

tamsterg7
May 15th, 2015, 01:59 AM
The elevator is cool but my eyes perked up when Sandy said the basement opens to the patio/pool area. What? A pool?! Now you are talking!
Sandy, I have LOTS of fat quarters to use to barter for a pool day - like in July when the heat and humidity are both 100!

bscuzz
May 15th, 2015, 02:09 AM
Does the 'dumb waiter' do double duty as the 'bell man' for folks who are afraid to ride alone?????