PDA

View Full Version : Tiptoe Through The Tulips!

rebeccas-sewing
May 3rd, 2015, 05:22 AM
I had a wonderful day on Saturday. Joe and I drove to the west and then south along the flower route to see the fields of flowers. A couple of weeks earlier would've been better, but what we saw was pretty extraordinary. I was horrified to see the tractor coming down a row of those gorgeous flowers cutting them all off the plants. I asked Joe why? It never occurred to me that this 5 billion dollar yearly industry weighs heavily on the sale of the bulbs rather than the flowers themselves. Duh! Joe did some research. Presumably, the plants are taken from the ground and the largest bulbs are sold. The smaller ones are replanted for them to grow larger so they can be sold in the future.

The flower bouquets were being sold at the Shell station. They were so beautiful I had to take a picture. The sales clerk told Joe they were 1 euro 50 per bunch (Just a bit more than $1.50 American). I wish I could've bought some but I was afraid they would die before I could get them home. Sheesh! I should've bought a bucket and stuck them in some water in the backseat of the car. Now why didn't I think of that yesterday?

We did a day's worth of driving the country roads and I was amazed by the hundreds and hundreds of green houses at every turn. I've included one photo to show you the size they can be. This was only one set of many.

I took tons of pictures but I won't bore you so I'll leave you with these:

kimsophia
May 3rd, 2015, 05:57 AM
That's fabulous but those tulips look as high as your chest! Are you crouching down? :)

When our plane was landing at Schiphol it got low enough to see some of the greenhouses. I wish I could move to the Netherlands. It's a wonderful country. Just being there and walking around makes me happy.

I love bulbs. I transplanted some daffodils today because they weren't getting enough sun to bloom. Plants are my babies. I have a "nursery ward" area for ailing plants that need special attention. :icon_happy:

Bubby
May 3rd, 2015, 07:33 AM
The flowers are gorgeous. They have quite a business there. The greenhouses are awesome. I would love to live in the Netherlands. Thanks for posting these, Rebecca.

MayinJerset
May 3rd, 2015, 07:40 AM
So beautiful, thanks for sharing the photos. We didn't get to see the wonderful tulip display when we were there as it was the wrong season.

Jean Sewing Machine
May 3rd, 2015, 07:43 AM
This is so beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

Vonnie
May 3rd, 2015, 08:03 AM
That's so beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

Reminds me of an area in S. California. It's been so long since I have been out there I don't even know if it's still there. It was along either I-5 or an older highway 101 along the coast. Flower farms. If I remember correctly it's somewhere between San Diego and Los Angeles.

Sylvia H
May 3rd, 2015, 08:08 AM
Wow! How awesome! And thank you for posting the pictures. I think I can smell the fragrances!

irishrn
May 3rd, 2015, 08:17 AM
What a beautiful site! So glad you enjoyed it!

quiltingtrish
May 3rd, 2015, 08:40 AM
Beautiful! You could post more photos, I'm sure there are those of us who wouldn't mind.
I spent a weekend that took us to Denmark and Holland. Walking through the flower fields are one of my best memories.

wlrquilts
May 3rd, 2015, 08:55 AM
Great pictures. I didn't know that tulips grew that tall.

klgls
May 3rd, 2015, 09:26 AM
So pretty!! Thanks for sharing your experiences and photos!

Eriepatch
May 3rd, 2015, 09:31 AM
What a wonderful day you had! thanks for posting.

Yanna
May 3rd, 2015, 09:39 AM
Thanks for sharing!

Granny Fran
May 3rd, 2015, 09:43 AM
Thanks for sharing. Reminds me of our stay in Belgium (5 yrs) when we went to see the flower fields. They are amazing and I agree, it is hard to see them mowed down. Wish they bloomed longer. Our purple and white ones are just about finished in our front yard right now.

Also we went to Ghent (Belgium) when they had the begonia show. At that time it was only every 5 years, so maybe this will be the year? Check it out, it is worth the trip.

Lori63
May 3rd, 2015, 10:12 AM
I had the best vacation of my life when I went to the Netherlands in Spring of 2010. We went to Kuekenhof Gardens. It was absolutely beautiful. I have tons of pictures, but I can't get them to post for some reason. When we retire I hope to go back.

Shirley
May 3rd, 2015, 10:46 AM
How gorgeous!!!!

Amy R
May 3rd, 2015, 10:48 AM
Oh that would be a dream come true! Thank you for sharing!!!

Midge
May 3rd, 2015, 11:20 AM
Lovely pictures. The Netherlands is such a beautiful and interesting country. I love visiting the large greenhouses too. A nursery with a big catalog business near me has an end of catalogue season sale - amazing prices on perennials - and they have huge fields of various varieties of iris that are blooming right at that time. They organize their rows in the fields by color. It is a stunning site, and customers are welcome to pick what blooms they want to take. I always take a big bucket and water for that trip. Hmm. Now that I am in my new apartment, maybe I'll head out to that sale and spruce up this yard.

LoveMyMachines
May 3rd, 2015, 11:23 AM
Beautiful! Sound like a great excursion. I'd love to see more pics. You could make an album...

pcbatiks
May 3rd, 2015, 12:00 PM
Rebecca...........wow, the flowers are soooo pretty. Must be wonderful to see that many flowers in person. Great pictures!

Claire Hallman
May 3rd, 2015, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the pictures, they brought back memories of our trip there several years ago.
It is sad to see the blooms removed but I guess they want the bulbs to grow rather than using the energy on the flowers.
I am also wondering if you are sitting or are the flowers that tall?

K. McEuen
May 3rd, 2015, 01:47 PM
Gorgeous flowers. It would be cool to see the fields of color.

For those of you wondering if the flowers are some mutant variation - look closer at the picture of Rebecca in the daffodils, she is squatting on one knee. That said, those flowers are still a couple feet tall.

stationarymom
May 4th, 2015, 01:54 AM
Just beautiful! It must be a sight to behold if you get to see the fields in full bloom.

rebeccas-sewing
May 4th, 2015, 03:44 AM
Yep, Karen's right! I'm squatting, not standing. hahaha Glad you guys enjoyed the photos.

Blondie
May 4th, 2015, 06:55 AM
I am in total tulip envy. These pictures are gorgeous and made me smile, Rebecca. My Daddy's favorite flowers were tulips. How fortunate you are to be surrounded by such beauty!

sewlucky
May 4th, 2015, 12:14 PM
Incredibly beautiful! Thank you for sharing Rebecca!

Bessaroni
May 4th, 2015, 06:07 PM
Beautiful. Love the colors.