PDA

View Full Version : THE BASIC RULES FOR CLOTHESLINES

Sandy Navas
October 1st, 2011, 08:01 PM
My mother thought these rules came straight from God.

(If you don't know what clotheslines are, better skip this.)

1. You had to wash the clothes line before hanging any clothes--walk the
entire lengths of each line with a damp cloth around the lines.

2. You had to hang the clothes in a certain order, and always hang "whites"
with "whites," and hang them first.

3. You never hung a shirt by the shoulders, always by the tail! What would
the neighbors think?

4. Wash day on a Monday! . .. . Never hang clothes on the Weekend, or
Sunday, for Heaven's sake!

5. Hang the sheets and towels on the outside lines so you could hide your
"unmentionables" in the middle (perverts & busybodies, y'know!).

6. It didn't matter if it was sub zero weather....clothes would "freeze-dry."

7. Always gather the clothes pins when taking down dry clothes! Pins left
on the lines were "tacky!"

8. If you were efficient, you would line the clothes up so that each item
did not need two clothes pins, but shared one of the clothes pins with the
next washed item.

9. Clothes off of the line before dinner time, neatly folded in the clothes
basket, and ready to be ironed.

10. IRONED? Well, that's a whole other subject!

Monique
October 1st, 2011, 08:18 PM
Sandy,

1. I don't wash the line.

2. Shirts with shirts, pants with pants and so on. Mother would be proud of me.

3. Yup.

4. I wash when I have enough for a load. I am on a dug well and need to save water.

5. Don't really care if they see them or not.

6. I don't freeze-dry. Just freeze my fingers sometimes.

7. I always gather my pins like a good little girl.

8. I usually do that with tea towels, facecloths, and pillowcases.

9. Clothes are in when they are dry, folded and in baskets until I have two or three full and then put away.

10. Iron what?

sewmuchjan
October 1st, 2011, 08:18 PM
OH Yeah I know all about that!!!! My Mother and My Grandmothers. Don't do it wrong!!! or it would be the switch!!!! :( :0

Oh yeah don't forget the pole to prop the line up when sheets were handing on the line. Didn't want them to touch the ground!!:D

lindaw724472002
October 1st, 2011, 09:01 PM
WE used to sprinkle the clothes with water. A Coke bottle with a sprinkle lid on it. Roll them up and put the in the frig. So they would iron better the next day. We were so ocd back then. I still have a lot of habit like my mom but the older I get the less ocd I am lol

Bubby
October 1st, 2011, 09:20 PM
Sandy...Are we sisters? It sounds like we had the same mother!

SuzyQue
October 1st, 2011, 09:26 PM
If I had a clothesline still......I would be doing all of this. Too ingrained to change now. I love the job of hanging out clothes (except in winter) and especially the smell of the fresh air in the linens! My oldest son suffered with allergies and asthma and the Dr. thought it best to not hang any of his things out.......hubby thought it best to get rid of the line! I know....less to mow around. I miss it. And yes, I am crazy enough to iron most everything we wear.......still! I often think I was born in the wrong era! Now where are my pearls?

sewmuchjan
October 1st, 2011, 10:04 PM
SuzyQue want to barrow 1 of mine??? I have 4 sets!!! :) :)

bakermom
October 1st, 2011, 10:55 PM
Oh yeah, 1. was always my job( don't pull down on the lines when you wash them-if they break you are in BIG trouble) when I still had lines up I broke 4. all the time-I found if i hung DH's shirts on a hanger to dry, I had very little ironing to do.

K. McEuen
October 1st, 2011, 10:56 PM
11. Don't forget the clothesline is there when running through the yard in the dark.

EsGrandma
October 1st, 2011, 11:16 PM
Loved this!! A couple of years ago, a four year old neighbor was watching me hang clothes on the line - he seemed totally confused and finally asked me why I was putting my clothes up for all to see - he had never seen clothes on a line and really thought I was strange!

quiltingtrish
October 1st, 2011, 11:21 PM
I love hanging my clothes on the line. I do it everytime it doesn't rain. Now, if someone can remind me what it looks like outside without rain, I could go out and hang them again! I think it's rained here every day in September.

Hugs,

Sandy Navas
October 1st, 2011, 11:34 PM
Sandy...Are we sisters? It sounds like we had the same mother!

I've always thought so, didn't Momma share with you either?

I was telling Al the other day that one of my fondest memories was when Mom made home-made cottage cheese. She would put the milk in a crock with rennin tablets. When it curdled she'd pour it into a muslin sack and set it in a large enamel pan. Then she'd run it out to the clothesline and pin the bag up on the line and let it drain. My sister and I loved to take our little toy pots and pans and collect the whey as it drained off - and drink it. Loved it more than buttermilk. Oh the things we did and the things we lived through.

Is it possible to turn back the clocks?

I would LOVE to have a clothes line in the back yard!!!

meemeecyn
October 2nd, 2011, 12:43 AM
Thanks for the memories, Sandy...(gee, I sound like Bob Hope.....boy, am I aging myself!) Anyway, you forgot to mention the best thing about hanging out the clothes.....the delicious fresh smell they had after hang and dry!!! Another rule: don't forget to check clothes for bees when you take them down. (my daughter learned that the hard way after I hung her jeans out!)

Isn't it great we can share these stories? It makes me feel like the loved ones who aren't with us anymore (for whatever reason) is still right here with us. Thank you, Sandy.

Cynthia

MissieP
October 2nd, 2011, 12:54 AM
I live in Az and almost always use a clothes line.. except we call in the "solar dryer" haha. The only time I use the electric dryer is when I finish a quilt.. and I had no idea it was tacky to leave the pins on.. we leave them on a safety measure so the tall people dont get clotheslined so much.

jackkris1969
October 2nd, 2011, 01:19 AM
Don't forget the clothesline is there when running through the yard in the dark.

I got the biggest rope burn ever one night playing "kick the can" with the neighbor kids..hurt like heck and looked worse. LOL..talk about bringing back memories. I still hang my clothes like that to this day..love the smell, love the feel...and most of all, it's faster than waiting for the dryer. :)

carolv
October 2nd, 2011, 08:35 AM
Yep freeze dried and then pry them off the clothesline and repin onto hangers and hang behind the coal stove to thaw.

Kizzie
October 2nd, 2011, 09:00 AM
wow didnt know Americans knew what a clothesline was as we invented the hills hoist in Australia!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hills_hoist

and we STILL use it!!! my great Aunt has OCD and she must put SAME COLOURED clothes pegs together! like two reds two blues etc

I d have to admit I love my dryer here in America!!! But in Australia Electricity is wayy too expensive to run one!!

What is the average 4 person electricity bill here??

BEST THING ABOUT A CLOTHES LINE: The smell of fresh clothes from Air Drying (oh and swinging on it when your mums not looking!!!!)

WORST THING: your lovely clothes colours fade quicker from drying out in the Aussie Sun!

Blondie
October 2nd, 2011, 09:26 AM
WE used to sprinkle the clothes with water. A Coke bottle with a sprinkle lid on it. Roll them up and put the in the frig. So they would iron better the next day. We were so ocd back then. I still have a lot of habit like my mom but the older I get the less ocd I am lol

oh yeah, we did that as well. We never used the veggie drawer in the fridge for veggies; it was for clothes. lol

Blondie
October 2nd, 2011, 09:31 AM

We use our clothesline each week; in fact, Luscious is getting ready to put new lines up. The posts for the lines are a set my Daddy made many many years ago for each of his children. They have travelled with me across country and back a few times. I have lived in a few communities that did not allow clotheslines. I reckon that it was/is considered tacky. Nothing smells nicer than sleeping under freshly dried sheets from the outside.
hugs to you

bobw103
October 2nd, 2011, 11:04 AM
Loved reading this post. Can you believe that there are actually neighborhoods now that do not allow clothes lines! Of course most who live in them don't want to hang clothes on a line....my son and family for one...haha

BellasQuilts
October 2nd, 2011, 12:02 PM
Yup, know all those for sure. Wish I had a clothesline now!

stitching woman
October 2nd, 2011, 12:31 PM
Love the smell of sheets fresh from the line. Mom would starch our dresses and when you took them off the line they were so stiff that they would lay on top of the basket like a board. Wonderful memories.

Bernice

sewsoft
October 2nd, 2011, 12:44 PM
Wow sandy you brought back so many memories. Don't get caught running between the sheets playing.

Divine Daisy
October 2nd, 2011, 01:56 PM
Sandy, Sandy, Sandy.....i am more than ever sure that my Aunty Lizzie and your mum were related! All of those rules were taught to me and i was tested by eye whenever the washing got hung out. There were a few small differances however. Always share pegs between items, you can attach the next shirt with the same peg and pegs had to be bought from the gypsy lady who came round the doors twice a year. NEVER hang out your 'smalls' Its very common apparently.

I would love to think aunty Lizzie was chuckling at this post, although sad to say.........and i quote here......"Merrycans are a bit fast"
if she had seen Sandy's posts about nakedness recently she would have claimed to be right!

rebeccas-sewing
October 2nd, 2011, 02:04 PM
I've been hanging our clothes on a drying rack in London. The washer is also the dryer. It takes forever to dry anything in it. I find hanging the clothes on a drying rack much better. If I had the space in my yard I'd love to hang out the clothes. I have very fond memories of helping Mom hang up and take down the clothes. Warm, sunny days and fresh country air. I miss that. Crisp fall days when the wind would whip the clothes dry. Mom out there with her scarf on when I'd come home from school. I remember the order, the double-up on the pins, etc. Universal, I suppose. Yes, ironing is another story. I could never get over the fact that Mom even ironed her underpants! Thank goodness for cotton blends. I do everything I can to avoid the iron (unless I'm sewing). I even made it clear to Joe that I'd do anything domestic but I wouldn't iron cotton shirts. That's what the drycleaners are for. Consequently, he doesn't wear 100 percent cotton shirts very often. LOL

sally
October 2nd, 2011, 08:41 PM
My mother thought these rules came straight from God.

1. You had to wash the clothes line before hanging any clothes--walk the
entire lengths of each line with a damp cloth around the lines.

2. You had to hang the clothes in a certain order, and always hang "whites"
with "whites," and hang them first.

3. You never hung a shirt by the shoulders, always by the tail! What would
the neighbors think?

4. Wash day on a Monday! . .. . Never hang clothes on the Weekend, or
Sunday, for Heaven's sake!

5. Hang the sheets and towels on the outside lines so you could hide your
"unmentionables" in the middle (perverts & busybodies, y'know!).

6. It didn't matter if it was sub zero weather....clothes would "freeze-dry."

7. Always gather the clothes pins when taking down dry clothes! Pins left
on the lines were "tacky!"

8. If you were efficient, you would line the clothes up so that each item
did not need two clothes pins, but shared one of the clothes pins with the
next washed item.

9. Clothes off of the line before dinner time, neatly folded in the clothes
basket, and ready to be ironed.

10. IRONED? Well, that's a whole other subject!

1. I don't wash the line BUT I can see the merit in it esp. if not used in a while
2. How ever they come out of the basket
3. Most by the tail except one with collars as I hang them from those folded. Helps with #10.
4. Saturdays are my mondays
5. Only one line...Unmentionables go on rack on porch
6. That is why they invented dryers. Hate freezing my fingers putting on and taking them off.
7 .Always take down my clothes pins...use the old fashioned wood peg kind...don't like the spring ones!
8. Try to do that...also makes more use of space when you only have one line
9. Doesn't always happen...may take a few days to get to the drawers from the basket. Domestically challenged that way:0
10. Iron dress and uniform shirts only. However I do like to iron. Call be strange...PS I like doing dishes too. I KNOW I NEED THERAPY!

Sandy Navas
October 2nd, 2011, 11:46 PM
SENDING THERAPY SESSIONS TO SHAUNA. ANY ONE WANT TO CONTRIBUTE TO THE EXPENSE?

Txgrandma
October 3rd, 2011, 02:47 AM

I was telling Al the other day that one of my fondest memories was when Mom made home-made cottage cheese. She would put the milk in a crock with rennin tablets. When it curdled she'd pour it into a muslin sack and set it in a large enamel pan. Then she'd run it out to the clothesline and pin the bag up on the line and let it drain. My sister and I loved to take our little toy pots and pans and collect the whey as it drained off - and drink it. Loved it more than buttermilk. Oh the things we did and the things we lived through.

Sandy I can remember my mom making cottage cheese also and butter. Don't know how much time I spent on the butter churn and then patting it into the molds. Those were the days, wish we could turn back the clock.
Love the fresh smell of clothes that were hung out. I would hang mine out even after having a dryer whenever I had a line. Haven't had one in several years. I can remember mom being very picky about some of the rules. Especially wiping down the line before hanging them. She was extremely picky about the shirts being hung from the tail and doubling up on the clothespins. Spent a lot of time sprinkling the clothes and rolling them and packing them tight into plastic bags or a pillowcase and putting them into the frig. Can anyone remembe the sprinkler bottles that looked like a coke bottle with the sprinkler cap. What a trip down memory lane this has been.

bakermom
October 3rd, 2011, 04:17 AM
for added fun, we lived in an old farmhouse. did not have a dryer, only a wringer washer. In the winter or any time clothes could not be hung outside they were hung in the kitchen. Yes, we had 3-4 clotheslines the length of the kitchen(think farmhouse kitchen, maybe 12x25feet, 10 ft ceiling).
on the plus side, i guess it did add some humidity to the house in the winter. we had a coal furnace and a fireplace for heat. Can you say cold and drafty??

Sandy Navas
October 3rd, 2011, 11:51 AM
for added fun, we lived in an old farmhouse. did not have a dryer, only a wringer washer. In the winter or any time clothes could not be hung outside they were hung in the kitchen. Yes, we had 3-4 clotheslines the length of the kitchen(think farmhouse kitchen, maybe 12x25feet, 10 ft ceiling).
on the plus side, i guess it did add some humidity to the house in the winter. we had a coal furnace and a fireplace for heat. Can you say cold and drafty??

Oh, the coal furnace. We had one that contributed 'central' heating to the house. In the winter when we had it all fired up we quite often burned the household trash along with the coal. One time my brother took the trash down and though he won't own up to it, somehow there happened to be a shotgun shell in the trash. KaPlOwEE! Of course this went off just as we were sitting down for dinner and the chimney opening (capped) was in the kitchen dining area. It was NOT a very pretty sight.

Monique
October 3rd, 2011, 04:35 PM

Sandy, need help putting one up? I will volunteer.

debinmalaga
October 3rd, 2011, 05:01 PM
I live in deep woods - no direct sunlight - so I'm envious of the freshly aired linens. When I tried to dry clothes outside they dried very slowly and smelled like mildew or mold. Ick.

Sandy Navas
October 3rd, 2011, 08:04 PM
I live in deep woods - no direct sunlight - so I'm envious of the freshly aired linens. When I tried to dry clothes outside they dried very slowly and smelled like mildew or mold. Ick.

Ain't you planning a move? Make that a prerequisite. The new place MUST have a clothesline. Ain't nuttin' better than the smell of properly dried laundry in the fresh air . . .

janluna
October 3rd, 2011, 09:45 PM
Oh Sandy, been there done that. Everything that you wrote about the LAW of hanging clothes is right on. I thought my Mother had come back to haunt me! LOL Love you guys, Jan

P.S. Shauna, I'm with you!

lamkin
October 4th, 2011, 02:57 AM
Don't forget sprinkling the clothes and letting them set before you could iron. I grew up with "what would the neighbors think" also. All the clothesline stuff is what I helped mom deal with (9 in household) on the ranch. She had 7 kids before electricity and running water. Those were the good old days of chillblains etc. Walking to a one room school house, all 8 grades. Path to the outhouse.

Thanks for the memories. I do have access to a clothes line and prefer it except knit shirts and dress slacks.

Lamkin

gilbertgilard
January 30th, 2012, 02:55 AM
You share here very nice rules of clotheslines.I follow your rules and use it in daily routine.

Genny
January 30th, 2012, 03:42 AM
I remember all of this, the wringer washers, the line drying(we had 3 lines), and the sprinkling water on the clothes to get the wrinkles out. I remember running out to get the clothes off the lines when a storm came up and I remember the fresh smell of the clothes and mostly I remember my mother hanging the clothes...I LOVED THOSE OLD CLOTHES LINES...what great memories...omg...I'm getting so old... :D

My husband , on the other hand, hates clotheslines...We purchased our home about 8 years ago. The decesed couple that had lived here raised 7 children here and hung everything on lines...since they purchased this property in 1932. Apparently when you put in clothes lines, you put the posts in deep holes...filled with cement...My husband has dug up 8 clothes line post and he swears that the cement goes about 20 feet down, I think hes exagerating, but I have actually seen him hook on the cement with his pickup and pull it out and theres a lot of cement there. Theres still a couple left to dig up and that'll happen when the ground settles to the point that the lawn mower starts to hit them. Where he sees work... I see memories...:icon_bigsmile:

Thank you Sandy...for these memories...

rebeccas-sewing
January 30th, 2012, 06:52 AM
Yes to all except I don't remember folding them before putting them in the basket. Mom used to even iron the underwear! Yikes. Sometimes she'd sprinkle them and put them in a bag in the fridge until she had time to iron. I think that helped to get the wrinkles out easier and to keep them from mildewing. I can picture Mom out there with her coat and scarf on, wind blowing, etc. Oh gosh, hear come the tears again!

CrazyMtnLady
January 30th, 2012, 11:29 AM
Boy am I glad I found this thread. I plan on doing some laundry today and I sure needed those rules...LOL.

My mom always used the clothesline, but I can remember in the winter having clothes hung up all around the house. I use the clothesline all the time. I will have to take a picture of my "Laundry Room" for all of you.

I can also remember my mom sprinkling the clothes with that old coke bottle. I use a spray bottle now, what advancements in technology we have made.

phoots
January 31st, 2012, 03:35 AM
Ok, I'm from San Diego, CA and I have very vague memories of a clothesline in the backyard. But I don't remember my Mom using it. Maybe it was Grandma's house I remember the clothesline? Anyway, I have a question that I've always wanted to ask and now I'm gonna do it.....weren't you ever afraid of a bird doing his/her business on the clean clothes???
Just wondering!!!
Pam in Vegas

BTW - I don't mind ironing at all!!!

mamaquilt
January 31st, 2012, 06:31 AM
Those basic rules for clotheslines are international. I still use the clotheslines, when it's not raining. It's a lot cheaper than the dryer, the clothes smell a lot better (except when the farmer throws something on his field). And you're right Pam, I do have to wash some of the clothes a second time because of the birds. We have trees in our back yard hence a lot of birds.

You can actually see our washline in my album, where I dried some of my scrappy fabrics.

I still iron most of the clothes and when you take them from the line and fold them immediately, you don't need to iron that much either. Sometimes on windy days there are very few wrinkles and then I don't have to iron at all.
Wow, that was like a little essay in English. Hope you understood all of it.
greetings from the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg

rebeccas-sewing
January 31st, 2012, 06:41 AM
Wow, Mama! Your English is fantastic! I just told my daughter to make sure she spends time on her cousins' Facebook pages so she can keep up with her German reading. If she does maybe she'll even get up the courage to write to them in German.

janluna
February 2nd, 2012, 03:12 AM
Boy, Sandy, My Mother and Grandmother must have known yours. Those are the exact rules. The only thing they added was you hung whites with whites, then blues, then green etc. etc. So, I had to hang all white wash cloths, then hand towels, then bath towels, then the blue wash clothes, hand towels, bath towels.... The same with the clothes. If I got one thing out of line, I had to take it all off and start again! I think they were a little too concerned with what the neighbors thought. I swear it was a competition! Thank God someone invented the dryer! Except for the sheets. Love the sheets outside. Hugs, Jan L.

Beakkmom
February 2nd, 2012, 10:37 AM
Clothes line rules ~ I hadn't thought about them in years! Thanks for refreshing this 'thread' so I could re-live a summer day as I sip my winter coffee.
I've always had cloteslines, and in years past I'd hag diapers on to dry (nappies). I still use the lines, but I am a tacky woman --I sometimes leave my pins on the line. I hang my bigger quilts on it to get good pics of them.

Lin

mommadeb
February 2nd, 2012, 07:26 PM
OH Yeah I know all about that!!!! My Mother and My Grandmothers. Don't do it wrong!!! or it would be the switch!!!! :( :0

Oh yeah don't forget the pole to prop the line up when sheets were handing on the line. Didn't want them to touch the ground!!:D

The propping up pole was a must!

mommadeb
February 2nd, 2012, 07:33 PM
My mother thought these rules came straight from God. (I thought they came from Grandma)

1. This was a must! There might be bird poop or something on it.

2. My mom would rehang things if I didn't do this part right.

3. Always, and use three clothespins for two shirts.

4. We did laundry on Saturday. If we finished it on Sunday, we could NOT hang anything out until after noon. Didn't want the neighbors to think we didn't go to church.

5. This was required!

6. We didn't hang stuff out in the winter. We had an indoor clothesline in the basement.

7. Duh! I hate when the pins are left on the line and then they end up in the grass and then hit them with the mower.

8. Always!

9. Clothes off of the line before dinner time. Very true.

10. Aren't irons just for quilting???

11. My mom and neighbor lady shared a clothesline and my mom dipped the ends of her pins in pink paint so the other lady wouldn't take them.

The best: hanging out clothes in the summer and there is a hot dry wind blowing. Awesome smelling stuff!

mommadeb
February 2nd, 2012, 07:36 PM
If I had a clothesline still......I would be doing all of this. Too ingrained to change now. I love the job of hanging out clothes (except in winter) and especially the smell of the fresh air in the linens! My oldest son suffered with allergies and asthma and the Dr. thought it best to not hang any of his things out.......hubby thought it best to get rid of the line! I know....less to mow around. I miss it. And yes, I am crazy enough to iron most everything we wear.......still! I often think I was born in the wrong era! Now where are my pearls?

Are you sure you aren't June Kleaver? Where's the Beav??

NanaB
February 2nd, 2012, 09:51 PM
I have been hanging out clothes for over 40 years! I can remember helping my mother hang clothes when I was a little girl. I would pin the clothespins on the bottom of my skirt (we wore dresses in the old days), and pretended I was Dale Evans in her fringe-bottom western skirt!!! My dryer is 37 years old--I only use it when I dry towels, socks and jockey shorts! I had 2 in diapers at once and washed 11 1/2 dozen diapers every other day. I would hang them out and they came out so fluffy and white! I remember them freezing on the line as soon as I would hang them. Ahhhh, the good ole days!!

Becki

BellasQuilts
February 2nd, 2012, 10:16 PM
Yep, that's how I was taught!! I don't have a clothesline now, but really wish I did.

CrazyMtnLady
February 2nd, 2012, 10:47 PM
Oh My Goodness Becki, I thought I was the only one that did that with the clothespins....LOL

Okay gang.. I wrote this years ago. I hope it brings back memories and you enjoy.

laundry day long ago

a freshness carries on the breeze
of laundered sheets and terry cloth,
suspended from rope with wooden clips.

the sheets flutter in the wind
like clouds floating through the sky,
and i - a bird flying through each puff.

"peek-a-boo, mom" the blonde child squeals,
as between the folds she plays.
what can a mother do but say,
"please, come and hang daddy's socks.

the best nights for dreams
were on a bed,
dressed in sun dried linen.
the coolness kissed my childhood skin,
and memories of the day
would fill my sleepy head,

till dreams would take their place.

and as i fall asleep to dream,
i feel mom's kiss upon my cheek
and hear her softly whisper.

"i love you. sweet dreams honey,
tomorrow's baking day."

Ginny B
February 2nd, 2012, 10:48 PM
I still hang my clothes out in nice weather (since I have a working dryer now, I'm a bit spoiled). I remember my mom having shirts rolled up in the fridge before she ironed them. My dad would open the refrigerator, see them and ask what was for dinner. Shirt stew was the answer. I don't put my shirts in the fridge, I just spray them with a spray bottle (yes, I iron).

Ginny B

beadywoman
February 2nd, 2012, 11:28 PM
And on the eighth day, God created the clothes dryer!

ChristineB
February 3rd, 2012, 12:20 AM
We lived in an apartment building when I was young but we spent all summer at our cottage (my parents were divorced and my mom worked at the high school so she had the summer off work). Anyway, at the cottage we had a closeline because there was no electricity. Washing the clothes was in a big laundry tub or maybe in town at the laundromat. But drying was always on the line - rain or shine. My mom would put the clothes out, rain or shine. She said they smelled extra nice from drying after the rain. So, needless to say, sometimes the clothes were on the line for two or more days, depending on the weather. Well, one particular time, I guess the clothes were out a bit too long and a bird built a nest in my jeans pocket!! Nobody in my family will forget that; when we all get together and start talking about the summers at the cottage, that always comes up!
Also, I remember the shaker bottle of water, and the rolling up of the clothes before ironing (back at home, not at the cottage) -- I don't remember them going in the fridge though.
Memories.....awwe....thanks!!

Sandy Navas
February 3rd, 2012, 08:47 PM
A clothesline was a news forecast, To neighbors passing by,

There were no secrets you could keep, When clothes were hung to dry.

It also was a friendly link, For neighbors always knew

If company had stopped on by, To spend a night or two.

For then you'd see the "fancy sheets", And towels upon the line;

You'd see the "company table cloths", With intricate designs.

The line announced a baby's birth, From folks who lived inside,

As brand new infant clothes were hung, So carefully with pride!

The ages of the children could, So readily be known

By watching how the sizes changed, You'd know how much they'd grown!

It also told when illness struck, As extra sheets were hung;

Then nightclothes, and a bathrobe too, Haphazardly were strung.

It also said, "On vacation now", When lines hung limp and bare.

It told, "We're back!" when full lines sagged, With not an inch to spare!

New folks in town were scorned upon, If wash was dingy and gray,

As neighbors carefully raised their brows, And looked the other way.

But clotheslines now are of the past, For dryers make work much less.

Now what goes on inside a home, Is anybody's guess!

I really miss that way of life, It was a friendly sign

When neighbors knew each other best... By what hung out on that line.

Monique
February 3rd, 2012, 10:44 PM
I love it Sandy. I may get to your house one day to install your clothesline.

Carol_Ann
February 4th, 2012, 12:53 AM
Deja vu, ladies ....deja vu !!!!

Sandy Navas
February 4th, 2012, 01:14 AM
I love it Sandy. I may get to your house one day to install your clothesline.

You are welcome any time - and bring all our on-line friends to help dig the holes.

K. McEuen
February 4th, 2012, 02:21 AM
Sandy has enough sewing machines for us all to use while we are there.

lilmouse
February 4th, 2012, 04:15 AM
I do have a clothesline in the backyard and will have to use it this spring and summer...at least for the bedding and my pj's...love that smell....tried to use one when I lived in AZ....all my whites were orange with dust...from the wind....blew that right out of the water.....remember helping Momma with the clothes...especially when it got cloudy and we had to beat the rain coming in...pins went flying as we hurried to get everything inside before the rain...and we didn't always make it either!...good memories...thanks Sandy!

mamaquilt
February 4th, 2012, 05:29 AM

I knew I had a picture somewhere. That was our clothesline this summer. I wonder what the neighbours thought of those scrappy fabrics . I still use my clothesline whenever the weather allows it.

Some reasons why nobody hangs out their clothes anymore:
it takes less time to throw everything in the dryer or even leave it in the machine and set the dryer program
because there is no one home to take the clothes in when it starts raining
many people don't have a clothesline in their garden, because that may disturb the architectarial look of the garden

@ Sandy,
I love your second post.

greetings from the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg where the clothesline are disappearing too

Jean Sewing Machine
February 5th, 2012, 02:04 AM
We put them in the fridge so we could put off ironing for another day or two...or three...or....

MizWasy
February 5th, 2012, 03:49 AM
Oh my, this thread reminds me of Granny's house (she had a long set of lines) and at the apartment when I was little, the lines were 3 deep, so sheets went on the outside, undies & nighties in the middle and shirts, pants & skirts closest to the building. Yes, everything shared a pin on each side unless it was really bulky and wouldn't hold. The lines were metal, not rope and I think Mom ran a wet washrag along them before we hung the clothes. We used the spring clothespins and Mom (I think my Granny made it) had a bag with a frame or hook out of a wire coat hanger that hung on the line with the pins in it. It hung to the right and moved down the line as I hung the clothes up.

At Granny's, the pole was a must to prevent anything from dragging on the ground. When my uncle bought her a dryer, they left the lines up until he found out she wasn't using the dryer (she thought her electric bill would increase too much). That's when he took the lines down but left the poles up. Oh boy, I miss my Granny.

When we bought our house, I mentioned something about now I could have a clothesline in the back yard (just one!) because I, too, love my sheets dried in the sun. :( My husband absolutely refused. :(

CrazyMtnLady
February 5th, 2012, 11:56 AM
Sandy, thanks for posting that. I had read that somewhere before and had forgotten about it. How true that is too.