PDA

View Full Version : Night Owl Freeze Warning

kimsophia
April 23rd, 2015, 01:54 AM
Hello, hooters! @,@ I cut another bouquet of daffodils tonight to bring in the house and rescue from the forecast freeze tonight. I now have three vases of flowers in the house. I haven't had this many since my mom's funeral in 1978! It's a luxury here.

I've been spending too much time in the night looking online at fabric and quilt patterns when I haven't finished the project I'm on, let alone started the two others I have the fabrics for...so I am going to rein myself in and quit that!

How is your night going? :)

stationarymom
April 23rd, 2015, 02:06 AM
It's quiet here as usual.I would love to have a vase full of colorful flowers to brighten the house,we don't have any yet.The temp is supposed to be low tonight and then 50 or below the rest of the week for the high.No new projects started here,still having trouble with the hand I had surgery on.Kim it sounds like you're trying to accomplish what I haven't been able to attempt yet.

bubba
April 23rd, 2015, 02:51 AM
I heard from people in the midwest about getting snow today and I just smiled......my backdoor was open wide all day long as the sun was shining and the birds were singing!

I've a Vivian bag cut out and ready to sew tomorrow. It will be a diaper bag for a friend of my daughter....shower is on Saturday! Going to be busy this next week, as I have several orders I need to get sewn. Busy, busy, busy! I had six things to get done and just like that I got three more orders today! High on the list of things are waterboys....people want them for their spring and summer walks.

Did you know if you put your daffodils or tulips in a vase that is filled with ice and water that they will continue to grow and last up to a week or more? Change the water and add ice everyday. It makes them think they are still growing in the fields. I did that when I first heard about it and some of them grew close to five inches and lasted almost two weeks!

toggpine
April 23rd, 2015, 03:11 AM
It's a quiet night here too. Kind of.

The farm is tucked in for the night.
The livestock dogs are randomly barking at stuff. If they were both going off at the same time, I'd go check it out.
Dizzy is in the barn humming. It's almost like she's meditating. She's still kinda droopy. Some of the moms are like that when they loose a kid. They don't mind so much that I keep them in the kid corral, as long as they can see and talk to them. I'm hoping that she'll be convinced that the biggest buckling in there is hers, as she keeps trying to talk to him through the fence. She spent the day outside in the sunshine, and that was good for her too.

Everybody in the house is asleep, but that's not quiet either.
Em's go-to-sleep music is still playing, but it's Mozart so that's not bad.
Eric is snoring, loudly. He has this cold-thing too. He is now at the stage I was a week ago. Do I know how miserable he is? Why yes. Yes I do. But you still wanted dinner with clean-up services and fresh clothes didn't you? I wanted a hot flax bag, a blankie, and hole to hide in.
I am contemplating sleeping in the guest room/office. Short of a pillow over my head or ear plugs I'm not sure I could fall asleep with his snoring. (Oooh. He just had a leg cramp, a dream, or something, as he was muttering "My foot! My foot! My foot!" and is now back to snoring!) Yep, grabbing the jammies and sleeping in the other room.

I have a tulip in a jelly jar in my window. Eric hit it with a wheel on the lawn mower and broke the stem. It looks so perky in the window! The daffs are about done here. The tulips are up and blooming along with the bluebells and grape hyacinth. The blossoms are out on the Labrador Violets and wild strawberries. The mint is coming on in the bed in front of the milk parlor too. Soon I'll have fresh mint for my iced tea. Yum!

Well, the milk is done, and I need to go catch some Zzz's since I'm still trying to fight off this crud myself.

Hugs and blessings to you, my friends! Cathy

kimsophia
April 23rd, 2015, 04:10 AM
Bubba, I put some ice cubes in my latest picking so I hope it will last longer! The other ones have been inside so long that they will probably hit the trash soon.

MayinJerset
April 23rd, 2015, 06:08 AM
A bit chilly here but I don't think we're in for a freeze. Past few days have been very changeable from warm and sunny to cold and raining and then back to sunshine. Grass has been getting so green and thick and will need cutting soon.

Did some sewing today and cooked up a big pot of sausage and tomato sauce for the weekend. Family will be coming and going on the weekend, some on Saturday for a local marathon race and others on Sunday to help with garden work so I'll add baked ziti and a salad and everyone can help themselves.

We'll be at my sister's on Saturday and I'm anxious to hear what she thought of her first guild meeting. She began quilting about 8 years ago and I tried to get her to go to a guild meeting in her area, even offered to drive up and go with her but she resisted. Also tried to get her to go to Lancaster for the spring show and shopping and for a summer retreat I go to but with no luck. She has made quite a few quilts and keeps asking me for lessons but I know she's more than ready to expand her quilting world. She doesn't use the computer as much as I do but has discovered quilting lessons on Utube and Jenny's lessons.

Cathy hope you got somewhere quiet so you could sleep. Sleep sounds like a good idea as ny eyes want to close - I can do the paper work on my desk tomorrow.

Bubby
April 23rd, 2015, 06:32 AM
Hi Night Owls,

I've been up a couple hours and thought I would pop in for a quick visit. It's chilly in the house and a cup of tea sounds good.

Cathy, I don't envy you your endless chores that come with farm life. I know what we go through just with our land. I resist the temptation to buy some lamas or alpacas, but they're such wonderful animals. Our neighbor has goats and I've been seeing some of the cutest kids ever frolicking in the field. There's a billy that runs with a pack of dogs that stops by for a visit now and then and it drives our dogs wild.

Have a great day Everyone.

kimsophia
April 23rd, 2015, 06:35 AM
It's time for me to call it quits on piecing. Man, did I do a lousy job of cutting and sewing these pieces together. I had three rows together at the beginning of the night and was going to add the fourth which was not possible since a seam wouldn't match up and I had to recut some and even make a new pieced block...sheesh, I even found seams that weren't sewn, but just glued. I think I need to soak this whole thing in water overnight and get the glue out before I can fix it...the glue is great to use but when you made a mistake and need to resew all those seams are stiff and uncooperative.

Time for wine! and bed! @,@

toggpine
April 23rd, 2015, 01:26 PM
Barb, that IS funny! I imagine it would drive your pups nuts.
The farm can be a lot of work, but once you get a routine going, it's not too bad. It's when the monkey wrench gets dropped in the works that chaos erupts!

I did get some sleep in the guest room and an hour in my own bed after Hubby left for work. I'll be taking back the new nightlight bulbs I bought yesterday though. They are LEDs that screw into the sockets designed for the glass Christmas tree-sized bulbs, C7's? Anyhow, that darned thing made a fluttering ticking sound all night long. Not OK.

I'll go check on the day thread and see what's up in their world!

bubba
April 23rd, 2015, 02:00 PM
A couple years ago I went on a ride along w/one of my deputy friends and it was way out in the country in springtime. Best part of the day was when we came across a field of lambs bouncing all over a field....so cute!