PDA

View Full Version : Sneaking in...

Musical_Starling
April 22nd, 2015, 08:47 PM
Hello all!

Just sneaking in for a brief moment to say thanks for the well wishes and prayers, they're all greatly appreciated! And since you're all so sweet, I figured you deserved a full update :) I will warn you though, this might be long!

I had my surgery four weeks ago, and it went very well, the doctors were pleased with how it all went. They removed a little over an inch of my trachea completely, and removed some of my cricoid cartilage as well to make sure I had a nice opening left behind. It was VERY close to my vocal cords, but thankfully the doctor didn't sneeze as he was doing it lol Then I was flown from Toronto to Newfoundland via air ambulance on the 31st and FINALLY made it home on April 1st.

As for Mr. Montgomery, he's wearing out his welcome very quickly. The top portion of the tube is actually sticking up through my vocal cords, so I cannot speak at all above a whisper, no coughing (just a "huff" when need be), and swallowing is complicated. But I've made great improvements, I can now eat just about anything aside from soup (liquids are difficult) and I can drink water! It's only a mouthful at a time, but it's better than no liquids at all. I tried a sip of soda, but the bubbles changed the texture of the liquid and it all went down the wrong way lol Isn't it funny how something we've done our whole lives without even thinking about it now becomes something that requires intense concentration?

I do have some thickener, for anyone familiar I bought some "ThickenUp Clear" and have been placed on nectar-thick liquids, but I just drink water instead because thickened liquids are never quite as refreshing as the real thing. For anyone who has no other choice but to drink thickened liquids, you have my complete sympathy! I was first given honey-thick liquids (mostly apple juice) and just felt like I was "eating" my liquids instead of drinking them and got so frustrated. But being stubborn like I am, I wasn't willing to take no for an answer. Every day when The Giant would come visit, he would get himself a glass of ice chips from the pantry, and one day I couldn't take it anymore and stole one. It went down! So then I had another, success! Needless to say he lost his glass of ice that day lol And from ice chips, it progressed to small sips of water (literally 1/4 tsp at a time!) and then progressed to big sips! It's still a work in progress, sometimes it still manages to go down the wrong way, but since it's just water it's not too harmful and can just be "huffed" back up when it does slip down.

Sleeping is okay, but it's another work in progress. I have a cool-mist humidifier that practically blows in my face as I sleep, so it helps a little, and I also have a nebulizer with some acetylcysteine (mucomyst) that helps thin out the "gunk" when it gets too bad. But I do have to suction my tube every night before bed and every morning when I wake, and sometimes throughout the day as well. I'm a mouth-breather when I sleep (not a pretty sight, just ask The Giant!) so as I sleep, any "gunk" in my tube gets a little thicker since the air is bypassing my nose and not getting humidified on the way down. So as you can imagine, I don't get to sleep for too long. I wake every couple of hours to "huff" and then lay down again, but I also have horrible insomnia so it's a struggle and can take an hour or more to get back to sleep. I normally take melatonin pills at night to help me sleep, but can't swallow pills since surgery and it's a PITA to crush them so I just do without.

But, in good news, Mr. Montgomery has been given his eviction notice! I return to Toronto in June to see him to the door, and will NOT miss his needy butt! The Giant has already been told that as soon as I get back home, I want the coldest, tallest glass of Pepsi we can find, and then I'm sleeping for a month lol

toggpine
April 22nd, 2015, 08:56 PM
Dee I am so happy to hear you are progressing so well! While some of the stuff is a PITA, it sounds as if you are making it work for you instead of fighting against it.

Continued prayers for your recovery!
Hugs, Cathy

quiltingtrish
April 22nd, 2015, 08:58 PM
Dee - I'm so glad you are checking in, I was wondering how you are doing. It sounds like a lot but it also sounds like you are one tough lady.
HUGS are being sent your way and also my prayers for Mr. Montgomery to go away as scheduled.

SallyO'Sews
April 22nd, 2015, 09:11 PM
Welcome back, Dee! So good to hear from you. Praying for continued speedy recovery for you.
Blessings,
~ Sally \0/

Cathy F
April 22nd, 2015, 09:15 PM
So glad you are on the road to recovery. You are a warrior keep up the great fight. That tube will be gone before you know it!

K. McEuen
April 22nd, 2015, 09:19 PM
I'm sitting here huffing in sympathy. Well, that and my allergies ...

Glad things are going well.

Ginny B
April 22nd, 2015, 10:34 PM
Glad to hear from you Dee. Sounds like you are on a good road to recovery and making good progress. Sounds like you are one tough and determined gal. Glad Mr. Montgomery is soon to be gone.

Judy, USMC
April 22nd, 2015, 10:45 PM
So nice to hear everything is going so well for you.

asta
April 22nd, 2015, 10:50 PM
Nice to hear from you again, hoping and praying for continued progress.

pcbatiks
April 22nd, 2015, 11:42 PM
Hi Dee........good to hear from you! Glad to hear you are making progress........take care of yourself. :D

Grandma Nan
April 22nd, 2015, 11:50 PM
My goodness you have been through a lot but sounds like things are coming along good. I know about the thickener stuff, it was suggested for my mom but it is awful. Hope things continue in a positive direction and I bet you can't wait for June.

ilive2craft2
April 23rd, 2015, 12:02 AM
So good to hear from you and that things are moving along! June will be here before you know it. Hoping that the rest of the recovery goes really smoothly. Keeping you in my prayers. Hugs, Lisa

JCY
April 23rd, 2015, 12:21 AM
I'm a retired nurse, but I worked in rehab. for 10 yrs. I've helped many patients who needed thickened liquids. Usually they are stroke survivors, but several were those with trachs. I understand what you're going through. I wish you well with your continued recovery. God bless.

auntiemern
April 23rd, 2015, 01:04 AM
So good to hear from you and get an update on your progress. We have missed you around here. It is wonderful that you are progressing so well.

MartinaG
April 23rd, 2015, 01:15 AM
Sounds like you and The Giant are dealing well with things as they are and applying a healthy sense of humor. Continued success!

easyquilts
April 23rd, 2015, 01:21 AM
Dee... Thank you do much for the update.... You seem to be in good spirits.....in spite if all you have endured... You're a strong woman... Hang in there!

Jean Sewing Machine
April 23rd, 2015, 02:02 AM
Dee, we've missed you! Glad to hear your update!

GuitarGramma
April 23rd, 2015, 03:02 AM
Sweet Dee! I am so glad to hear from you. I'd had no idea you were facing this surgery. You are one tough cookie and an inspiration. Thanks for letting us know all that you've been through.

MayinJerset
April 23rd, 2015, 05:14 AM
Glad to hear from you and your progress, you're getting there sip by sip and more power to you.

rebeccas-sewing
April 23rd, 2015, 05:22 AM
You are such a trooper, Dee! I'm glad you are getting better as time goes forth. Thanks for filling us in. My sister is having part of her tongue removed today. I've been so worried about her. After hearing what you're going through I think I should stop worrying. I doubt what's being done to her today can compare to what you're going through. All I can say is bless your sweet heart. Take good care of yourself. Drop in again and let us hear from you.

Iris Girl
April 23rd, 2015, 05:44 AM
Dee was just thinking about you the other day. So glad you checked in. Sounds like your making a lot of progress and are beating this problem. Give Mr Montgomery a big big farewell party in June! Hugs

Bubby
April 23rd, 2015, 07:31 AM
Dee, It's so good to hear from you. You seem to be finding ways to help yourself expedite your healing. It's been a long road for you. My prayers and wishes for continued healing are with you. (((HUGS)))

Lightwriter
April 23rd, 2015, 07:50 AM
One step at a time...you will get there. What a journey!

They do make liquid melatonin. It comes in a dropper bottle. I like it better than the tablets.

Monique
April 23rd, 2015, 07:57 AM
Dee how wonderful that you snuck in to say hello. I am so happy that things are progressing for you. I certainly wish you did not live so darn far away.

Keep up the good work and sneak in any time.

xo

irishrn
April 23rd, 2015, 09:32 AM
So glad you popped in to let us know how you are doing! I'm sure those involved in your care are pleased with your progress!
Your positive attitude and determination have a lot to do with your recovery!
Wishing you all good days ahead!! Keep us posted!

WendyI
April 23rd, 2015, 10:58 AM
DEEDLEBUG!!! So HAPPY to hear from you!! I've been wondering how you have been getting along! So glad to hear that things went well and you are on your way to recovery! You'll be right as rain in no time! How long will you be here in June!? Be nice if we could do lunch but I suppose it will be a hurried trip! Thanks so much for coming in and updating us...I have been thinking of you lots! xox

Grandma G
April 23rd, 2015, 11:16 AM
So very glad to see a post from YOU!! Wondered for a long time if everything was okay since you were MIA for quite some time. I will be glad to hear when all this is behind you but in the meantime am thrilled to hear from you yourself!! Prayers continue for your complete recovery.

Angelia
April 24th, 2015, 12:18 AM
I'm glad things are going well--hang in there!