PDA

View Full Version : Rotary Cutter

Dee Bouchard Raymond
September 30th, 2011, 07:42 AM
I'm hoping someone can recommend a good rotary cutter. I have one( bought at Joannes,) and I'm not happy with it at all...it skips, fell apart once while I was cutting, and in general has not made me happy. I have replace the blades, 3'x with very expensive replace ments...is there a trick or do I have the wrong product???Thanks for all your help

SuzyQue
September 30th, 2011, 07:48 AM
Not sure what brand you have, but definitely not safe it is comes apart while using it! Rotary cutter blades are extremely sharp! I would stick with the brand name ones....Olfa is what I use. Make sure you buy the right blades as replacements....it really matters! Yes, the blades can be expensive! They can be picked up on sale quite often....just always have some on hand.

Beach Cottage Quilter
September 30th, 2011, 08:59 AM
Hi Dee,

I agree with SuzyQue it shouldn't come apart and dangerous. I have an Olfa 45 mm here is a youtube link about it....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GFsFNXYI7g&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8VPdPNgHF8&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24niAZnwT-Q&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

stitching woman
September 30th, 2011, 10:14 AM
Hi Dee,
I too have the Olfa 45mm and love it. Welcome to the form.

Bernice

Shirley
September 30th, 2011, 10:16 AM
I have the olfa 45mm and 60mm. I have not had any problem with either one. What brand do you have?

janluna
September 30th, 2011, 10:48 AM
I have an olfa ergo 45/60mm. I love it and it has never come apart on me. Did you get the blade back in, in the right direction? Hugs, Jan
P.S. I just looked at the first link that is in the above message and that looks just like mine.

tfrankum
September 30th, 2011, 11:25 AM
Olfa's are great. Plus, if you have a Hancocks, Joanns, or Hobby Lobby near by, you can watch for monthly sales or weekly coupons and get 40-50% off of one. That's a good deal since they are rather expensive.

meemeecyn
September 30th, 2011, 11:31 AM
If you are having trouble with it, take it back! They can look at it. It is important to put the blades in right (learned that the hard way!) and then to put it back together correctly. (ditto!) I use Olfa 45mm. There is a smaller one I use, too. Like that brand.
Good luck, Dee!
Cynthia

toggpine
September 30th, 2011, 11:37 AM
Dee,
I'm on board with the rest of the gals. I have 3 Olfa (18,28,45mm) cutters and one by Fiskars (60mm & pinking blade). I have had no problem with any of them. If you still have the receipt, I'd take it back. If you don't have a sewing buddy that can help you, you might try taking it back to the store to see if some part is missing. Some of the people who work at the craft stores actually know how to use the products.
I can tell you that out here Joann is not carrying anything but the 45mm replacement blade for Olfa anymore. I am going to have to go to the Olfa website to get the 18 & 28 mm blades. (Grrrr, but don't let me get started on that.)

Coffeetime
September 30th, 2011, 11:39 AM
I have a Gingher and really like it. Seems like the blades stay sharp longer.

mrswindy4
September 30th, 2011, 12:49 PM
I have a Fiskars and mine fell apart on me one time....turns out, when I changed the blade, I put the cutter back together the wrong way. I've never made that mistake again.

As for blades...someone suggested going online to Harbor Freights website and checking out the blades for the carpet cutters. I did and ordered some and they fit my cutter perfectly and seem a little sharper than the actual brand name blades. I paid $1.99 for 2 blades (I stocked up!!) but now they are on sale for $1.49/2 pack!!

http://www.harborfreight.com/pack-of-2-carpet-cutter-replacement-blades-97642.html

quilter.martha
September 30th, 2011, 01:05 PM
I have 2 Olfa's. One, my 45mm, I've had for over 20 years now! It still works great.

Dee Bouchard Raymond
September 30th, 2011, 02:29 PM
The cutter I have is a Friskar 45..Thank you all for your response. I'll try an Olfa and return this one back to joannne's. Oh yes....thanks for the heads up about cutting myself never thought about the danger till just now, won't be using that cutter again!!!!

K. McEuen
October 3rd, 2011, 09:34 PM
For those of you that use Olfa 45 mm cutters, Connecting Threads has replacement blades (pack of 5) on sale for $19.19.

http://www.connectingthreads.com/tools/Olfa_Rotary_Refill_Blades_45mm_5_Pack_Pink_Limited _Edition__D81997.html

Dae
November 7th, 2011, 04:43 PM
I agree with everyone else. I have an Olfa and LOVE it. I do have several blades on hand as I pick them up when they go on sale. Never want to be without my rotary cutter. :lol:

Bubby
November 7th, 2011, 05:22 PM
I think I have every rotary cutter on the market, but my favorite is the first one I ever bought. It's made by Dritz and the blade is only exposed when you are cutting. It automatically retracts the blade when pressure is let off. My second favorite in a Fiskar 45mm. I don't get along with Olfa products in general....mats, cutters or rulers. Barb