PDA

View Full Version : Tornado

dizzyLiz
April 21st, 2015, 12:47 AM
At 3:40 this afternoon a tornado went over my house. Trees bent over parallel to the ground, hail the size of a quarter, wind, rain, and yes it does sound like a train roaring. Took shingles off our roof and uprooted a HUGE tree like it was a twigg about 50 yards from my house. I was calm, but cautiously afraid while it was happening. I simply took the dogs and took cover. After it was over and I saw how easily this tree was uprooted, honestly it freaked me out. Jerked it up, root ball and all. SCAREY, Folks, a few miles from us lost their whole roof. A few shingles and a few hours with no power...we got out of this easy

Already called the insurance to have someone check the roof.

I'm so grateful it wasn't worse.

Prayers to all in the path if these storms

auntiemern
April 21st, 2015, 12:48 AM
How scary. Most weather doesn't bother me, but I do not like wind. Glad you are alright. Things can be replaced...you can't.

MayinJerset
April 21st, 2015, 01:37 AM
WOW, That's really scary but so glad it didn't hurt you.

SisterDi
April 21st, 2015, 01:40 AM
(((Liz)))

I was in an F5 here in IL 25 years ago, and it was scarier afterward than during the storm. I swear, the adrenaline doesn't stop for days.

laura44
April 21st, 2015, 01:49 AM
Thank God you came out ok!

Jean Sewing Machine
April 21st, 2015, 01:55 AM
Wow, what a scary thing to go through!

toggpine
April 21st, 2015, 02:20 AM
Glad to hear you are alright, if a bit shaken up.

I heard the national weather report tonight on the news, and it sounds as if the Eastern folks are in for a spell of bad weather that includes tornados all the way to New Jersey!

Be careful out there!

DramaMama
April 21st, 2015, 02:54 AM
Thank the Lord!

I get scared with storms -- even severe thunderstorms! My hubby's grandfather was killed in a tornado before or shortly after my hubby was born. We don't fool around when it's time to take shelter!

Prayers for a safe 2015 for everyone!

brook
April 21st, 2015, 03:05 AM
Wow, so sorry for the damage from it, but so glad that you are safe.

rebeccas-sewing
April 21st, 2015, 04:05 AM
I'm sorry you had to experience that and so relieved to hear you're alright. Sound like you pretty much dodged a bullet.

Blondie
April 21st, 2015, 06:33 AM
Hey Liz
i thought about you when I was watching the news - as well as many of our other forum family experiencing these storms. We were also under a tornado warning, siren blasting, lots of wind, wierd rain - hubs was in the middle of the bad area on his way home with the hail; he was unaware of the warning. Hope insurance does right by you

Bubby
April 21st, 2015, 07:38 AM
It's so good to hear you weren't injured. We had a Derecho on May 9, 2009 (combined tornado and cyclone) and we lost 180 trees, severe damage all over our town and nearly every water main broke due to the earth shaking so bad. We were without water or power for more than 2 weeks. We are still cleaning up the mess 6 years later.

Even if you are in doubt whether a tornado is approaching or not, it's smart to take cover.

Trish04
April 21st, 2015, 07:53 AM
So scary! Happy to. Hear you are ok!

MRoy
April 21st, 2015, 08:38 AM
I'm glad you're okay. Tornadoes are so scary.

Sandy Navas
April 21st, 2015, 08:44 AM
Glad you are safe and sound. Scary situations.

klgls
April 21st, 2015, 08:44 AM
Glad you are okay and the tornado left you safe!

Ginny B
April 21st, 2015, 08:47 AM
So glad you are safe. Hope the insurance process goes smoothly. Be safe.

Grandma Nan
April 21st, 2015, 08:56 AM
Natural disasters like what you experienced are so scary because we have no control and many times underestimate the impact on us both physically and mentally. So glad you are safe.

tnmtgrl
April 21st, 2015, 08:57 AM
Glad to hear you are ok, we had some terrible storms too that came our way Sunday night late, I hate the wind here in east TN...it's seems worse than when we lived in FL during hurricanes. I hope you get your repairs done in a timely manner.

Eriepatch
April 21st, 2015, 09:40 AM
Thankful for your safety!

WendyI
April 21st, 2015, 09:45 AM
SO GLAD to hear you are safe and sound. I guess I'm the oddball here...I LOVE crazy weather! When I retire I want to move to Oklahoma and be a storm chaser! I'm kidding but that would be so much fun for me....but then I've never really experienced severe and dangerous weather personally. Having my home in the path and having to sit tight and hoping it doesn't get blown apart I know would be an entirely different and terrifying situation. I'm glad you are okay and didn't have too much damage. (((HUGS)))

SallyO'Sews
April 21st, 2015, 09:52 AM
So glad you're okay, Liz. Thanks for checking in with us.
And thanks for the reminder to pray for others!

Simply Quilting
April 21st, 2015, 11:03 AM
I'm glad that you are okay.

Genny
April 21st, 2015, 11:06 AM
So glad you're safe! I would have been a nervous wreck waiting for it to go over.

easyquilts
April 21st, 2015, 11:16 AM
I'm so glad you are OK... You have my total sympathy..... Our family lived through a Tirana do in 1974.., we, yo had to get a new roof.

Once you see just what a tornado will..and can..do, uou you have a whole new respect for the weathers...nature is so very powerful... and unpredictable....

God Bless

Granny Fran
April 21st, 2015, 11:52 AM
SO GLAD to hear you are safe and sound. I guess I'm the oddball here...I LOVE crazy weather! When I retire I want to move to Oklahoma and be a storm chaser! I'm kidding but that would be so much fun for me....but then I've never really experienced severe and dangerous weather personally. Having my home in the path and having to sit tight and hoping it doesn't get blown apart I know would be an entirely different and terrifying situation. I'm glad you are okay and didn't have too much damage. (((HUGS)))

Wendy, I've been in several earthquakes (Alaska, California, Japan), in a flood and thru a hurricane when the eye passed over thought it was done, but not. Was driving in 1974 when the hail hit and the Xenia OH tornado hit.

I can tell you of all of these, the tornado scares me the most. Being only a few miles away from one was enough for me!!

Liz, thank God, you were spared and only a tree was the worst part.

alliek
April 21st, 2015, 12:33 PM
Thank God you are OK.. Violent weather of any kind is SCARY.

Pandabear
April 21st, 2015, 01:17 PM
Scary... glad you are safe and sound!

We had storms blow through on and off with flood and tornado warnings.

sewbizzy
April 21st, 2015, 03:05 PM
I'm glad you are safe....so scary...