PDA

View Full Version : Missouri Star Quilt Founders Invited to White House Ceremony

BobW
April 19th, 2015, 06:20 PM
by James Hart

"April 17, 2015
Alan Doan and Sarah Galbraith, the siblings behind the Missouri Star Quilt Company, have officially been invited to the White House.

That’s because Galbraith and Doan are among the top finalists for the National Small Business Person of the Year Award, which is presented every spring. Only five other finalists for the award will be asked to attend a May 8 ceremony at the White House.

The Missouri Star Quilt Co. is based in Hamilton, Mo., where it operates a popular brick-and-mortar shop and employs several people, but it also has built a large and loyal following through its e-commerce site. Galbraith and Doan started the business to help their family.

mostar“Our dad, Ron Doan, commuted an hour and a half to work each way as a mechanic at the Kansas City Star newspaper,” Galbraith wrote on Missouri Star’s website. “He worked long hours and many night shifts to support Mom (Jenny) and us seven children.

“In 2008, when (Dad) lost a hefty portion of his retirement savings in the market crash and at a time when the newspaper industry, a sinking ship, was laying off people every month, my brother Alan and I had the idea to start a business that could help our parents towards retirement.”

The winners of several other awards have been selected for the White House event, including a couple with Kansas City ties.

The St. Louis-based Justine Petersen organization, which supplies microloans to the KC market, has won the Jody C. Raskind Microlender of the Year Award.

And the Veterans Business Resource Center, another St. Louis-based organization offering services to small businesses in Kansas City, was named the Veterans Business Outreach Center of the Year.

The White House ceremony will come at the end of National Small Business Week, a national celebration of entrepreneurs by the U.S. Small Business Administration.

“National Small Business Week is a chance to honor our nation’s 28 million small businesses and renew our commitment to fostering the entrepreneurial spirit that is central to the American experience,” SBA Administrator Maria Contreras-Sweet said in a news release. “This year’s winners are dynamic trailblazers in their respective small business fields, contributing to their local economies and providing good jobs in their communities. It is an honor to celebrate their hard work and success.”

https://www.ithinkbigger.com/missouri-star-quilt-founders-invited-white-house-ceremony/

BobW
April 19th, 2015, 06:21 PM
I can't think of a better selection for an honor like this. Al, you know you can't wear a t-shirt! If you can wear a suit for a chips ahoy contest you can wear a suit to go to the White House!

denisecolli
April 19th, 2015, 06:23 PM
what a honour fingers crossed wishing you all the best from the UK

Bubby
April 19th, 2015, 06:27 PM
Congratulations Al & Sarah...we're all so proud of you. You and the whole Doan family deserve this honor!

Sandy Navas
April 19th, 2015, 06:35 PM
Ah, to be a fly on the wall.

GrammaBabs
April 19th, 2015, 06:36 PM
That honor could not go to a more deserving "company".... Ron and Jenny surely did themselves proud raising the children they did... I hope this makes national news, so I can watch it..:) Barbara

Cathy F
April 19th, 2015, 06:38 PM
Congratulations Al and Sarah, what a well deserved honor!

Eriepatch
April 19th, 2015, 06:43 PM
I'm not surprised at this! Sure hope they win....they deserve it....But I'm sure all 5 finalists are incredible

K. McEuen
April 19th, 2015, 07:27 PM
If I'm not mistaken this will be Al's second trip by invitation to the White House. Maybe his goal is a 4 year stay ...

KPH
April 19th, 2015, 07:43 PM
Keeping my fingers crossed!

MRoy
April 19th, 2015, 08:28 PM
Congratulations to the Doans for this great achievement!

sewbizzy
April 19th, 2015, 08:41 PM
Wow, how great is this? Wishing them good luck!
They certainly deserve it!

Midge
April 19th, 2015, 08:42 PM
It's a great honor just to be a finalist. Obviously I'm one of the biased happy customers, but seriously, I hope they recognize the incredible phenomenon that is M*. Whatever happens, enjoy this well-deserved honor.

lapeoples
April 19th, 2015, 08:42 PM
How great is that!

Pandabear
April 19th, 2015, 08:44 PM
This is wonderful. I'm so happy for them.

Grandma G
April 19th, 2015, 09:31 PM
If they needed letters of recommendation we could fill up that White House mail box in a flash!!! Congratulations to them!!

JCY
April 19th, 2015, 09:57 PM
This is so exciting! So well deserved. Thanks for sharing.

Ginny B
April 19th, 2015, 10:12 PM
How great! They so deserve it.

GaGa
April 19th, 2015, 11:17 PM
This is wonderful! I was fortunate enough to visit Hamilton last month on my way to Nebraska. The Doan family has done it right. All the employees are so friendly and extremely welcoming and helpful. They are so deserving of the honor!

Grandma Nan
April 19th, 2015, 11:29 PM
How great is this? Well deserved and hoping you win.

MayinJerset
April 19th, 2015, 11:42 PM
Couldn't have happened to 2 more deserving hard workers!

stationarymom
April 19th, 2015, 11:56 PM
Congratulations Al and Sarah!! Your Mom and Dad must be so proud.

BellasQuilts
April 20th, 2015, 12:08 AM
Heard the news when I was there this week! Congratulations, Al and Sarah! We are proud of you.

irishrn
April 20th, 2015, 12:08 AM
Congratulations to Al and Sarah.myou so deserve this award!

Judy, USMC
April 20th, 2015, 03:39 AM
I think everyone here already knows that they are winners - but nice to hear they are getting the recognition they deserve. (BTW wonder who has to pay for the trip?)

CarolynK
April 20th, 2015, 08:29 AM
Congratulations and well deserved! What a great honor.

Iris Girl
April 20th, 2015, 08:32 AM
Congratulations to the entire Doan Family. Can't think of a better recipient.

Swedish leo
April 20th, 2015, 10:23 AM
How wonderful for the Doan family!

WendyI
April 20th, 2015, 10:33 AM
Wow...that's pretty awesome!! Congratulations to all!! What an accomplishment!

SallyO'Sews
April 20th, 2015, 12:21 PM
Woo-Hoo!! Go, M*!!!!

Thanks, Bob, for posting this. I would not have known otherwise.

bscuzz
April 20th, 2015, 12:31 PM
Congratulations to the Doan Family!! Al and Sarah, hopefully you'll be able to give the President some 'sage' advice on how to help small business'!! Kudos to you for your success in such 'difficult' circumstances in this Country!