PDA

View Full Version : Flower Plants

brook
April 19th, 2015, 02:53 AM
This should be interesting. I know that many of you have flower gardens, but this quilter doesn't know that much about them. I decided I needed something pretty outside of my window where I quilt. I finally went to Home Depot today and decided to at least buy something to plant. So, $132. later, I walked out with 5 different kinds of plants and not real sure how to put them together to look like there planned. But...they sure are pretty! : D

Hulamoon
April 19th, 2015, 04:57 AM
That's easy for me to spend that too! I have the room for a big garden, but took up container gardens, which means annuals most of the time. I like to plant herbs too. What did you get?

rebeccas-sewing
April 19th, 2015, 05:39 AM
Honestly, it always shocks me how little a hundred bucks covers these days. In a flash it's gone. Spending money on flowers is a good use of those dollars in my opinion.

Sheep Farmer
April 19th, 2015, 09:53 AM
I, too, went to HD last week and bought a bunch of flowers. I know nothing about flowers, but they sure are pretty. My cat died last month, so a lot of the flowers I bought were for her grave. But I also want to plant a flower garden in a large raised bed we made and I have no clue how to plan it to make it look nice.

I also have two Japanese Maple trees in pots that I plant annuals in for more beauty.

My grandmother had Calla Lillies growing wild in her backyard when I was a little girl; the LARGE white ones! I love those things!
No one sells the large white ones here, so I went online to check it out. WOW! They are expensive!!! One day I'll buy some.

Enjoy your flower garden!

songbird857
April 19th, 2015, 03:03 PM
I am venturing into raised container gardening for the first time - I have always had a black thumb.. kill just about every plant I touch, and I just can't be on the ground for long periods of time.
I will try two 4 X 4 raised beds and see how it goes. Luckily, I have a good friend who has tons of experience and a beautiful garden ;) - she is willing to help guide me. I'm planning to grow veggies, fruits, and herbs - my hubby works at a vocational school and they open their plant sale to staff for a week before it is open to the public, so we'll probably get a good amount of 'already started' plants there!

Granny Fran
April 19th, 2015, 04:14 PM
Good luck. Can't go wrong with any type that is natural to your area.

Around here that means nothing tender til mid May because of occasional late frosts. DH swears by it and he is usually right.

Over lots and lots of years, trial and error, we have a lot of perennials now, but always add annuals to spread out the bare times.

Hulamoon
April 19th, 2015, 04:28 PM
There are lots of annuals that act like perennials because of my zone. I just prune them back once in awhile to keep them going.

Carolyn
April 19th, 2015, 04:36 PM
For containers just remember its Thrillers, Fillers, and Spillers. Some free gardening classes on Craftsy too.

lourixe
April 19th, 2015, 04:49 PM
My grandmother had Calla Lillies growing wild in her backyard when I was a little girl; the LARGE white ones! I love those things!
No one sells the large white ones here, so I went online to check it out. WOW! They are expensive!!! One day I'll buy some.

Enjoy your flower garden!

Amazingly those Calla Lillies naturalize so well here along the Atlantic coast in Northern Spain, that you can see lots of them in the ditches. They thrive in moist areas. My issue with them is they attract snails.

brook
April 20th, 2015, 02:20 AM
Well, tomorrow I will be taking 3 kinds of plants back to HD. After I got home I wanted to get more info on them and discovered that they are a cacti kind, there pretty flowers will soon be gone I and I will be left with fat leaves. That's not the feel I was going for. I did get some Martha Washington Geraniums and I may put them into a pot for awhile until they get a little bigger. The space they need for planting is 36". Do you think it's ok to start them off together, or will their roots grow together?
I also bought a Gardenia plant which should be pretty.

Granny Judy
April 20th, 2015, 03:31 AM
Brook, plant your Geraniums separately... Roots will grow together and pulling them apart will have you crying. I always get them for my planters...Mainly because they keep away bugs and mosquitos. Go ahead and plant them where you want them...they grow fast. Find a plant that spill over and out of your container/s and add the two of them together. (Viola are great for ground cover and have such happy faces while the smell is marvelous)

Geraniums get tall.. and pinch off the flowers as soon as they start to look wilted. The more you pinch , the more will come back. They can take partial shade, or full sun. Just water daily.

Gardenias... I haven't had much luck with them.. but they should do well as a container plant, with some Asparagus fern and Phlox planted around them.. all are shade lovers. But do search for compatible container plants.

DramaMama
April 20th, 2015, 06:11 AM
One of my favorite annuals (that sometimes will return each year): Moss Roses or more formally "Portulaca"

https://www.google.com/search?q=moss+roses&client=safari&rls=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=UcA0Vfn4EMTBggSZgoHQCw&ved=0CCUQsAQ&biw=1453&bih=820

VERY DROUGHT TOLERANT! Every few days or so while walking by them just dead head them (remove wilted flowers and drop them into the dirt to reseed) -- this helps MORE flowers grow on the existing stems!

These are great in pots or directly in the soil. Although they grow from seed easily (I buy 3 packets to sprinkle in every 10 inch diameter container), I usually find mature plants at Wal-mart or K-mart. Have not found at big home improvement stores yet!

Depending on the variety -- they will stand up (about 3 - 5" tall) or drape over a container.

Other plant: MINT (and anything in the MINT FAMILY) -- if you want something to take over your yard / garden area ... plant MINT! It is virtually impossible to kill by handpicking or chemicals; the best way to remove: digging 6" and getting them by the roots! But they do well in pots -- especially by doors as insects don't like it!

Lemon Balm -- great herb plant; can buy small at Home Depot or such store ( 3 - 4" pot) and it will grow into a large bush by the end of the summer (at least approx. 3 ft. high by 3 ft wide) -- maybe bigger, but I always trim mine! It smells great if you brush against it to release scent and can be used in teas and cooking. Loves sun!

Hyacinths: great scented perennials! Plant in ground or containers -- especially by walkways or doors.

Some sources I peruse, but have yet to order from; get on their email list for 50% off or more discounts:

springhilnursery.com

michiganbulb.com

Happy gardening!

Hulamoon
April 20th, 2015, 09:25 AM
I had trouble with gardenias too,and they grow all over the place here. If they are in the ground they can grow fast and get really gangly if you don't cut them back. They also have a lot if bugs. Here is a good article on them.

Gardenia Plant Care (http://garden.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Gardenia_Plant_Care)

WendyI
April 20th, 2015, 10:43 AM
I have to go from perennial gardening to container gardening which I am not very good at. ..and I also don't have a lot of room so won't be able to do many. Good luck with your planters! Post pics when they are done!

Midge
April 20th, 2015, 11:06 AM
Good luck with your new garden Brook. It's so rewarding, but don't get discouraged if you run into a few problems. I have never gardened in your planting zone, so take what I say with a grain of salt, ok? At times Martha Washington geraniums can be finicky. They grow quickly, be sure you fertilize regularly, but not too much nitrogen or they get leggy and don't bloom. Also, they like a lot of sun and cool nights. If the midday sun is too intense, they can get some burn on the leaves. If you decide to leave them in a container, you can easily solve that problem. Definitely pot them separately. In a large pot with some foliage plants and contrasting color blooming plants you will be very happy with your geraniums. Out where you live these plants might become perennials, so good luck! Gardenia - gorgeous, but I have always killed them. Can't help you there.

Edit: oh, and regarding planning the garden. Think of a quilt and how you like the color contrasts and value changes to add interest. Same principle in gardening. Also, think of the "bones" of a garden spot and spots of gorgeous flowers around the bones. My mom always loved her lantana - my parents lived in San Diego. Not sure which flowering or ornamental shrubs work best in your area, though. When you plan an area, think of odd numbers. Three of this, five of that. Groups make more interesting displays. Lots of great info on the internet to help you with planning.