PDA

View Full Version : Any bird people?? Need some input!

WendyI
April 17th, 2015, 12:35 PM
So I used to have birds for many, many years. Had everything from zebra finches and budgies to a blue and gold macaw and a female eclectus parrot.

Sadly when Liam was born he developed very serious asthma which only subsided after we rehomed the birds. At that time we had a macaw and an umbrella cockatoo. Cockatoos are the dustiest of all parrots! Also, Scott played a big role in wanting the parrots gone. I was willing to install filtration systems and air cleaners etc. Now that I will be on my own, it's time to get another bird...but a small one.

So I am torn. I have found two birds that are suitable:

1. A Quaker parrot. These are hand reared babies. I have a great cage already that would be perfect. Cons are the rearing and training and making sure I do it right. They are known as fairly decent talkers as well. Cost is $325 and will be ready to go after I move which is perfect.

2. A Blue Crowned Conure - he's 8 years old and very tame. Good talker already and accustomed to being outdoors. Well trained she says, trained on pelleted food which is good, is not a chewer or a biter. She is asking $400 but I can probably get her down to $350. Only issue, she needs him gone by the 25th which is the weekend right before I move...pretty hectic to introduce the poor guy into that chaos. She says he does the "dawn and dusk" screaming which most birds do but is not loud. I'm going to meet him tonight.

I really like both...and like the idea of an already trained bird and yet one that doesn't have pre-developed habits is nice also. Don't know what to do! I'm really torn! I used to have a patagonian conure but he was stolen when he was being babysat at a pet shop one Christmas. :(

Anyway...if anyone here has birds and has experience with either of these, let me know! :) xox

Claire Hallman
April 17th, 2015, 01:23 PM
Why not start small with a parakeet, small investment, small mess, and smaller chance of allergens. They can be so very charming.

WendyI
April 17th, 2015, 01:25 PM
After having had so many large birds, I'm not really a fan of budgies. I do like them but just not enough bird for me.

Doloris
April 17th, 2015, 01:27 PM
I would take Liam with me to visit this bird. He may still be allergic, and it is not worth all the Dr bills and discomfort to Liam if they still bother him.

Sonic
April 17th, 2015, 02:10 PM
Good idea Doloris.
Which bird speaks to your heart? Tugs at you deep down inside?

While I haven't owned one yet, I'm a conure fan.
If you decide on the conure is there anyway he could stay with a friend for the short time until the movers drop everything off at your place and are gone? It might be kinda neat to have a bird to "chat" with while you are unpacking and deciding where to put things.

Sandy Navas
April 17th, 2015, 02:53 PM
I'd hold out for an African Grey. My personal love . . .

K. McEuen
April 17th, 2015, 02:58 PM
I agree that Liam needs to spend a bit of time around the bird before you purchase one. I would also wait until after moving and getting settled in as birds tend to stress easily.

I'm going to go out on a limb here (bird related, no?) and be your voice of caution - You have a lot going on right now. The split, getting back out and meeting people, having a way more active social life, the move, the unpacking, etc. etc. etc. Are you trying to take on too much right now? Would adding a bird into the mix be the right thing to do at this moment in time, for you, Liam and the bird? Would waiting a month or so after you are in your new place be a better time? Just a thought, but it is something to consider.

Iris Girl
April 17th, 2015, 04:19 PM
I have to agree with what Karen said. I would wait till you were settled a month or more. Since you have had birds in the past you know they are a lot of upkeep. You also have a beautiful new apartment and birds can get messy nasty with droppings etc.
Having said that My Mom had bought me a quaker parrot about a year before she passed as a Birthday gift. I had to visit the pet store many times to feed her before she was ready to come home to me. I loved her to pieces. She was a very sweet bird and when she started talking she would whistle at me and say *Pretty Momma* I love you Momma*. But then my Mom passed in it was to hard for me to have her, plus I worked 40 hour and she was home all day alone. Not something she was used as Mom was always home with her. I had given her and 2 cockatiels to a friend that had birds. Worst thing ever. First this friend would tell me this bird had a nasty mouth and was swearing like a sailor. I know she didn't learn it here as we never heard anything like that from her and my kids were little and there was little id any swearing in our house. Second thing was this friend had a fire and ll the birds perished. I felt so guilty. Please think it over well before you purchase do not do a spur of the moment impulse buy. Also take Liam with you to see if his allergies act up. Just my 2 cents.

Sandy Navas
April 17th, 2015, 05:58 PM
Just a heads up on having birds . . . had a friend lose all her birds because she had a woman coming in to clean while she was at work. They think that the cause was the housekeeper using room deodorizer . . . five birds perished within a couple weeks though. So sad.

Cathy F
April 17th, 2015, 06:17 PM
I don't know anything about birds as I've never had one. However our local vet had an open house at his office which was very informative. He owns a parrot and the parrot lives at their office. When asked why he explained birds are social animals and since he and his wife, also a vet spend most of their days at the office he would be home alone too much of the time. At the office he says he sees people all the time that interact with him.

laura44
April 17th, 2015, 06:45 PM
Good luck on your search. My son had allergies even with
our parakeet. Found it a new home and the allergies went away.

Equilady
April 17th, 2015, 08:28 PM
I've had a quaker and it was great. I don't know about Canada but they are illegal in some states here in America. I would hate for you to get one then find out you couldn't keep it if some nosey person turned you in. So check first. My Cisco never talked much but he was always fun when I had him. When the Army sent me to Germany I gave him to my sister and he started talking. That was great because she was a recent widow and he gave her a lot of company. I had him as a baby and finished hand feeding him. I don't recall him being a screamer. So there is my input.
Good luck in your choice.
Susan

irishrn
April 18th, 2015, 09:30 AM
I always loved birds around and had them when I was first raising my kids. But they are messy, and can give the dog some nasty parasitic infections if the dog comes in contact with the cage dust and/or droppings!
That said, I'd love to get an Indian ring neck parrot! Check out some you tube vids on them.
But , ( voice of reason here) you need to wait till your settled and sure Liam is not still allergic!
Then plan together what will be right for you both!

WendyI
April 20th, 2015, 10:52 AM
Thanks for the input everyone. I had birds for many, many years...from very large parrots to small finches. Liam had issues with our dust producing cockatoo. The bird I have decided to get is an oil producer...although they still produce some dust. I'm also well aware of the mess that birds can make and am prepared for that. The bird I have decided on is a the blue crowned conure. He is 8 years old, quiet and not a chewer at all. Spends most of his time outside of and on top of his cage. I have a large cage that I will eventually transfer him to. Unfortunately he will have to come home and be part of my move.

As for taking on too much too soon....I have been thinking about getting another bird for a long time and this opportunity just came up. Liam and I went to meet him and I discussed his allergies with the owner. She has agreed to a one month trial. If things don't work out and Liam has a reaction then she will give me my money back. She's also agreed to care for him when I go on vacation in July. So it's a good situation all around. I'm aware that I have a lot of changes going on in my life but I'm trying to get things set up in my life that keep my occupied and busy once I move. The week of the move will be great but once everything is set up and done then what? I want something (like the bird) to occupy my time and devote my energy to so I don't get caught up again in the grieving process. But I do appreciate all your thoughts and concerns.

As for the African Grey...that is also my dream bird but sadly really far out of my budget. They're SOOOO expensive here. Maybe one day! xox

Sonic
April 20th, 2015, 11:05 AM
The bird I have decided on is a the blue crowned conure. He is 8 years old, quiet and not a chewer at all. Spends most of his time outside of and on top of his cage.
Yay! Go conures!! :D

Seriously though, I had wondered how the meeting with the conure went.
Congrats on your new birdy friend. Can't wait to see pics of him!

WendyI
April 20th, 2015, 04:01 PM
Here is a pic of him. I was a little shocked to see him outside with flight feathers intact! But it's a nice pic. He's really quite sweet! And yes he is a HE....she had him DNA sexed and he's 8 years old and hasn't laid any eggs which for me personally is a better indicator of his sex!

Sandy Navas
April 20th, 2015, 05:38 PM
And, does he have a name? I forgot . . . does he talk?

Sonic
April 20th, 2015, 05:43 PM
Ooohhh, he's very pretty!
And it must be nice to know you don't have to go through the terrible twos/chewing phase. :)

Cathy F
April 20th, 2015, 05:48 PM
He is a very attractive Lil guy! Congratulations!

mommamarsh
April 20th, 2015, 10:00 PM
Good for you ! I loved my house birds , but had to rehome my last two . Now I shower the affection on my poultry and DH doesn't have to wear leather gloves to feed them when I'm not home !

rebeccas-sewing
April 21st, 2015, 04:32 AM
I'm really with Karen on this one, Wendy! I'd hold off for now.

Hulamoon
April 21st, 2015, 07:32 AM
He's really pretty Wendy. My mom had a small parrot that she adopted, but it starting biting her, so she had to give him up.

WendyI
April 21st, 2015, 09:48 AM
And, does he have a name? I forgot . . . does he talk?

Sandy he does have a name, Tiago...but we are changing it as Liam doesn't like it. He does talk...has a pretty extensive vocabulary and will likely display more after the move. That's a common thing to happen. Think it gives them comfort in strange situations. I'm now torn between this one and an African Grey parrot...a much bigger but quieter bird and the very best talker of the bird world. There is one in PA that was rescued and needs a home that I'm hoping to get and if I do I will not be taking Tiago. So many decisions! But I am so very excited to once again have a bird in my life! they are SUCH great companions!