PDA

View Full Version : We've got new peeps....and a birdy update.

Sonic
April 14th, 2015, 09:48 PM
The first batch of babies arrived today, and while not nearly as cute as Wiggles with his baby chicks (quail) the peeps are settling in nicely. Another smaller batch arrives tomorrow and then I will have 22 total.
There is a locally owned feed Feed/Farm and Garden store not far from me and each year for their regular customers they order a few thousand chicks from a hatchery just a few hours away. The chicks are hand delivered so they are not stressed by going through the postal system and whatís neat is when you walk into the store to pick them up, you are nearly deafened with the sound of all 1500 to 2000 chicks peeping!
A very welcome and happy sound after the dreadful winter we had here.

Gosh...the fuzzy cuteness!!

Ok, not chicks, but almost as exciting..baby veggies. :icon_bigsmile:

And for those who read my thread on the new birdy addition in March, shortly after I posted it kiddo named him Yoshi after his favorite baby dinosaur from super Mario brothers.
I would have sworn Perry (older green bird) could not like another bird more than his pal that passed away, but he does!! He and Yoshi sing and play together all day long. Yoshi has become very bold, bright eyed, and bushy tailed. Everything is a game and is meant to be enjoyed to it's fullest.
Didnít think it was possible, but Perry has become even more outgoing and playful. Not bad for this previously neglected rusty old bird.
Iím so proud of him and am very glad he got a new lease on life.
-Perry's quick back story is here- http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/general-chit-chat/50738-goodbye-my-little-friend.html

April R
April 14th, 2015, 10:08 PM
Love budgies. Yours are beautiful

stationarymom
April 15th, 2015, 03:06 AM
Good Luck with all of your new additions

rebeccas-sewing
April 15th, 2015, 04:45 AM
I'm sitting here drinking a cup of tea and giggling over all those darling and very fuzzy babies. What Fun!

irishrn
April 15th, 2015, 04:55 AM
Your little ones are so cute!! And I love the budgies! I'm a bird fan, DH is not, so alas no birds here. But someday I'll have one!

Cathy F
April 15th, 2015, 07:02 AM
Those sure are cuties!

Amy R
April 15th, 2015, 09:37 AM
OOOOO cuteness overload!!!!

WendyI
April 15th, 2015, 09:39 AM
SO adorable!!

Bubby
April 15th, 2015, 09:41 AM
Is there anything cuter than a tiny yellow peep! I love it when it's Chicken Days at our local farm store. I go in just to hear them carrying on. Yours are adorable.

Sandy Navas
April 15th, 2015, 10:30 AM
I guess we could get away with saying you've 'gone to the birds'. Thanks for sharing. Love the little peeps - do you know what breed they all are?

klgls
April 15th, 2015, 10:42 AM
They are adorable and I'm glad your birds are great friends!!

songbird857
April 15th, 2015, 11:00 AM
Cute chicks ;)
Thanks for the update on Perry and Yoshi - so glad they've taken to each other!

Sonic
April 15th, 2015, 11:00 AM
I guess we could get away with saying you've 'gone to the birds'. Thanks for sharing. Love the little peeps - do you know what breed they all are?

Yep-
3 Amerucanas (dark)
2Golden Buffs (super fuzzy orange ones)
12 Cornish Cross (yellow)
and I'll pick up 5 Red Rangers today.

When they are old enough , the egg layers will join my flock of Speckled Sussex, Silver Laced Wyandottes, Amerucanas, Australorps, Copper Marans, New Hampshire Red, a few Partridge mixes, and the Welsummers who were the original chicken (breed) for the Kellogg's rooster many years ago.

I won't get started on the Bourbon Red turkeys....:D

Sandy Navas
April 15th, 2015, 11:10 AM
I'm moving in with you. One of my favorite chores as I was growing up was taking care of the chickens. Love the silver laced Wyandottes so much!! (Hated having to clean the droppings in the hen house in the summer though . . . )

Heather
April 15th, 2015, 11:39 AM
what?! Chicks go through the postal system?! I had never even imagined such a thing. I do love seeing them in the feed store. Glad your budgies are BFF's, they are very cute birds.

Sonic
April 15th, 2015, 12:01 PM
C'mon Sandy... I have plenty of birds to go around!

Heather, there are several large hatcheries around the US that sell and mail out chicks.
Baby chicks draw inside the remaining parts of the yolk just before hatching which gives the chicks a few days worth of nutrition. This is what allows a clutch of eggs (hen hatched) to hatch over several days and all the first chicks to survive without leaving the nest because the mom has to stay until all the eggs are hatched.\

This also makes it possible to send live chicks through the mail system, depending on the weather of course.
They are sent in minimum bunches inside special boxes for warmth. As soon as they arrive at your local branch (usually 0-dark thirty in the morning) they call you to come get them.

Normally my girls are terrific at hatching babies themselves, but I don't have a rooster right now. ;)
Had I ordered these chicks later in the summer and one of my girls had gone broody (set on eggs) I would sneak in the coop at night and place the chicks under her while she slept. In the morning she would wake up, think they hatched over night, and would care for them as if they were her own.

Snip Snip
April 15th, 2015, 12:30 PM
Sonic, I have had chickens for 4 years, now. Just a small coop where 9 are a little crowded. My 4 year olds are still laying well for the most part, but of course the new pullets are little egg machines right now.
Loved your story about the parakeets. I had one that lived to be about 11. He was very tame and we left his cage door open nearly all the time. He died of congestive heart failure, I think.

Carrie J
April 15th, 2015, 03:51 PM
AWWWW fuzzy peepers! Love going to the Feed Stores just to visit the lil things in the huge watering troughs! Ken always says, "Carrie don't even think about it!" LOL, he knows me so well! Love the story on Yoshi as well, sounds like a perfect pairing to me! And glad that they are now Buds! :D