PDA

View Full Version : Happy Wednesday

Blondie
September 28th, 2011, 06:51 AM

Happy Day, everyone!

Not much to say, have been doing nothing much, even less on the puter this week; sorry for not keeping up - but HEY! Life is good! Why, I even made those chocolate chip cookies yesterday morning in the storm and they turned out great! That's a first for me! (I am eating one now with my coffee, oh, life IS good. yum
Gots to get the vehicle inspected, tags, etc. today plus making DD a few accessories for her stitching needs. Like a big tote to keep her cross stitch in. a new pincushion.
Oh, and I did some laundry yesterday, Cynthia. You were right - laundry was one everyone's list yesterday!

Loonwatcher
September 28th, 2011, 07:13 AM
Good Morning.

Blondie, I'm imagining Ihave one of your cookies right now.

Yup, laundry was on my list yesterday too...but then it always is isn't it?

Napkin making class tonight. Didn't get my napkin rings made in time but I did get up early today and cut the strips for the binding on my tree skirt. Hope to get that sewn on this weekend. Will be taking time out from sewing to go to a local quilt show while the boys are taking docks out for the winter. If we don't take them out the ice destroys them.

Better get ready for work. Have a great day!

quilter.martha
September 28th, 2011, 07:41 AM
Gosh, laundry was on my list yesterday as well! I got my floral blocks for the swap finished yesterday afternoon! It feels good to have them finished. I have 4 blocks left over that still need to be assembled, which I'll get done BEFORE I go on to anything else, but boy am I thinking hard about what project I want to tackle next.

Today's my volunteer day at church, so I don't expect to get much (if any) sewing done today.

Have a great day all!

meemeecyn
September 28th, 2011, 09:30 AM
Happy Day everyone! Blondie....having a cookie with the morning coffee is my idea of pleasure! It sounds like everyone is able to squeeze some sewing in, albeit short little snippets at times. But heck, those snippets are better than nothing!

I am trying to get my sewing room in some sort of order. (a never-ending goal!) If I would just stop checking out the clearance bins, I would be much better off! Haha!

Well, Quilting Sisters, have a great day and enjoy, no matter what plans are for today.
Cynthia

oldgurl4
September 28th, 2011, 09:55 AM
Morning Sunshine!
Glad that Life is Good... Not everyone get's those days....
Sewww ENJOY Every moment you get them.
Oh!...BTW--Don't forget to wipe the Chocolate chip on the side of your mouth before
heading out the door...OKAY Dear!....lol

Yeap Laundy All the time here....Yes Sirry Bob!!
My place is SEWwww Small that if I don't do it often it starts smelling like a Singles Pad!!

Did anyone notice the discription on the DAILY DEAL" for today?
Usually the Jelly Roll strips show "HOW MANY STRIPS ON THE BUNDLE" (ex: 42 2.5" x 45 strips or 25 2.5" x 45).....Wellllll Not Today????.... But I just noticed it today.
has it changed since the New Update occured on the Site?

Oh ~Martha~ you are sew luky to have finished.
I keep Riping-and riping and ripping.
My points are not falling where they need to be...Arrrrgggg!
Yes I am using a Stank seam allowance ...I Mean!! SCANT.

Look at it this way ~Meemeecy~... at least you will have all you need already out for your next Project :)

You all have a Safe and Blessed Day!

Back to the Lilly Pond!!
Ripping...ripping...ripping

debinmalaga
September 28th, 2011, 09:59 AM
Morning all! Long day at work today but should still be able to squeeze in another 2 blocks for the floral swap - I've got 9 done and they're going well. So nice to have that time at the sewing machine to look forward to during the day.

It's yet another gloomy day in New Jersey, we haven't seen much sunshine for weeks now. I'm looking forward to the cool, crisp days ahead, when the humidity and stink bugs vanish.

Have a lovely day, all!

Sandy Navas
September 28th, 2011, 10:49 AM
Good morning. Didn't have any laundry to do Monday, Tuesday, or today - laundry elves showed up over the weekend and everything is clean and put away . . . love those laundry elves. Wish the floor elves would do their job!!

Headed out this morning to meet with Mom's health care advisers. Li'l Sis will be there, too. I don't know what you can advise about a 96 YO who often bites herself when she gets angry. Gotta love her - just wish her mind had not gone.

I didn't do diddly-squat yesterday. Attempted to work on a redo of the corn and beans quilt block. HATE THAT THING. Think I just may have to leave that one block out of my BOM for the quilt guild and substitute some other block for it. I HATE triangles!!! The thing is that I've told myself until I finish this one I shouldn't be going on with anything else. I may have to lie to myself and say I am DONE WITH IT!

I was truly surprised this morning when I was able to log on. I wondered if I would be kicked off after my exchange with Jan L. on the Shauna's retreat thread . . . we do be a bit ornery, don't we?

Gotta grab so me stuff for dropping off at the post office, head to the nursing home, having a day away from home (until I decided I've had enough).

Special hugs and prayers to all. Wondering why my friends here have to work. Miss hearing from quite a few of them!!

bec
September 28th, 2011, 11:46 AM
Goooood morning! Well, I don't have a cookie this morning and I don't drink coffee, but I did have my usual bowl of homemade granola and Chobani vanilla yogurt mixed with it. Yum! I've been eating it every morning since last November and I love it just as much now as I did then. My cholesterol was high and I started eating my oat granola every morning (I don't like oatmeal!). It along with a few other changes in my diet has lowered my cholesterol by 70+ points! YAY!

Yesterday was an errand day for me, but I did do a load of laundry.

Today....uhm...my plan is to vacuum and dust and make a loaf of light wheat bread. Need to figure out what's for supper, too. Last night we just had left over bean soup and corn bread. It's just as good the next day, if not better.

Cynthia, I need to straighten up my sewing stuff, too. All my quilting tools, templates, etc are thrown into a big shallow box and every time I need something, I have to rummage! I bought some peg board and short hooks yesterday to put on the wall so I can hang things in an orderly manner. I hope I can keep things more organized then.

Nancy - send us pics of your favorite quilts at the show.

Sandy, I hope you can get some good advice concerning your mom.

Have a super Wednesday everyone!

toggpine
September 28th, 2011, 12:54 PM
Morning All!

Yesterday went well. Milk testing went off without a hitch and I made it to the dentist.
Part of one of my back molars broke off and left a piece of filling material hanging out. It was catching on my cheek like a fish hook. (Just FYI the red wax coating on the little Bonnie Bell cheeses make a fine substitute for orthodonitc wax in a pinch.) Dr. Grimm took the wayward piece off until I can get in next week for a full appointment. Can I just say how much I love my new dentist? It is worth the hassle to find one you like.
After the dentist I stopped by the little quilt shop in the harbor. I managed to make it out of there for under $12 with a yard and a third of fabric. I found a cute summer print of watermelons and daisies by Diane Knot and I bought a third of a yard of glow-in-the-dark monster eyes on a green background. The eyes more spendy than I wanted, but they will make super centers for a log cabin type block of all of my halloween fabric leftovers.
I must have been craving some new-to-me fabric. After dinner with my sister last night I stopped to pick up yellow candy melts for some candy corn cookies I saw on a blog. Michaels didn't have any colors other than a few green and orange ones. It looked like they just got a shipment of light chocolate ones, but no yellow. So what's a girl to do when faced yellow candy melt disappointment? RIGHT! Go across the street to the scary looking Handcock fabrics store because there is a huge sign saying Blowout Sale! They were also having their 54th Anniversary sale. (I think this store has been there all 54 years! I remember shopping there as a kid with my grandmother.) Anyhoo. Emily found some Halloween Elmo fabric for a pillow case and I found some pretty aqua/turquoise prints for half off the sale price, reg $8.99 for $2.49/yd! Whoo hoo! Nice quality cotton too, all silky and soft.
I have been watching the budget so closely that I haven't stepped into the fabric store in months. It was so much fun to pet and feel the fabrics. It gave me the little creative boost I needed to get back in the sewing room. Amazing how you feel when you spend a little on yourself every now and then. (I am not talking about toothpaste, soap, and deodorant either! Although, those items do make you more likely to get a hug.)
I am off to get Little Miss out of bed so she can be awake when school starts. I have no idea why they pick Wednesday as teacher coordination day or whatever they call it. If you are going to have school start an hour late, make it Monday or Friday even. Wednesday? Really? You just get the kids into the swing of things with getting up and ready, then let them sleep in an hour? Then back to regular time Thursday & Friday. Arrrgh! Maybe it just messes with me?

Well, you all have a great day. I am going finish off the laundry heap that Hubby dumped after his camping trip, run the vacuum and clear off the cutting table to make way for the new fabric! Yeehaw!
Hugs! Cathy

Smfidler
September 28th, 2011, 02:06 PM
Good morning ladies! What a wonderful morning here. The girls have a short day of school and afterward we are stopping at the school book fair. The boys and I will be going to MOPS (mothers of preschoolers) this morning and having a fun morning. Should be a great day!

HandsOffItsMine
September 28th, 2011, 02:26 PM
Aloha,

Shannon's side is sunny, ours had the morning showers, but is clearing now. DH left on his walk, took the daily old bread, dog biscuits, and rice to feed the peacocks, chickens, and wild dogs. He hasn't convinced the mongooses or mongeese that he's a good guy yet. :D

Going to work on my Floral blocks. Did a bunch of cutting yesterday and strip sewing, now to see how many blocks I can complete from that batch.

Have fun all, Ruby

bakermom
September 28th, 2011, 02:37 PM
Have a batch of pumpkin cookies in the oven. I make them every Fall for DH. He loves them. In between trips to the kitchen i have been sewing the binding one a 3D pinwheel quilt. I didn't quilt this one, just tied it, last winter. Just recently added the binding so I could finish it. One more down in my goal to finish up what i started!
sandy, I hope things go well with your mom. It's hard to know the right thing to do for them. Alzheimers? My dad had it the last 7-8years of his life. we were very fortunate, he still remembered who we were and never got aggressive like some do. He couldn't remember if he ate, what he ate, what he was going to do.

I was sorting sewing things yesterday so i had a better idea of what I have tucked away. found a few things i had forgotten about. Did find the bag of scraps DD gave me from one of her quilts. All very bright colors. Also some thread I bought a while back and totally forgot about. If I keep finding stuff i won't have any reason to go to the fabric store. Hmm, maybe I should quit sorting!

Sandy Navas
September 28th, 2011, 02:59 PM
Back from Mom's and the post office and a couple other short stops. Mom was in rare form this morning. She was talking and fairly coherent. Li'l Sis came in after I got there and the social worker came to Mom and told her "See, you have both of your girls here today." Mom looked up and told her "Well, two out of three ain't bad." We met with the social worker and the head nurse but there wasn't anything new - some days Mom is good, some days she's bad. She hasn't been taking all her clothes off since the weather is getting cooler (I didn't know about that one . . . but I guess if she got too warm she was stripping). She would be mortified if she was aware.

Sent my Fancy Floral Blocks for the swap this morning, mailed a package to a dear friend in Australia, picked up a quick lunch for Al and I from Taco Bell . . . now I'm ready for a nap.

Granny Judy
September 28th, 2011, 03:15 PM
Whew, finished all my swap blocks and now to get them in the mail... Had a really fun week end at our local Quilt Show.. so much to see and "feel". They gave out "gloves" as you came in and I made good use of mine!!
You can check my block for some of My Favs and examples of blocks/techniques. I didn't take of photo of every (500) Quilt..just special ones.

I have laundry to do today...I am behind everyone here if yesterday was laundry day for most. And inbetween I will be finishing up that Pinwheel Quilt.. one side (border) & Binding need to be done, then I can say "FINISHED".

I'm already thinking of what top to do next...but wait!! I still have two projects that need some SLQ ing to finish them b4 Christmas.. Durn...Maybe a test block?? Shouldn't take up too much space to just TRY something I saw and want to copy, right? I see I need to get that other Machine set up and going for the SLQ. And Here I didn't think I would need 2 machines so was thinking of "gifting" my older one. WHAT WAS I THINKING??!! :o

OK, the buzzer went off so gotta get another load started. Hugs to ya all.. prayers sent out to all. Granny

Txgrandma
September 28th, 2011, 03:54 PM
I finally made it in at a decent time of day. I am so far behind I may never catch up on the forum or housework either one. DH was home for 3 days and we have been working on his stuff and trying to fix things around the house that have gone nuts lately. Still without a front bathroom, hoping that will be up and running by this evening. Still have loads and loads of laundry and cleaning in general. Have reached a whoa on one quilt, ran out of fabric and having trouble finding anymore. Have found a few pieces by teh yard and may have to make due with that. Just got an email from the LAQer and she almost has my first two quilts finished, hopefully by the weekend. She did say that one turned out beautifully. I'm like a kid at Christmas time can't wait to see them both. Have two more ready to take to her.

Blondie between you and bakermom I feel like I gained 10 pounds just reading this today. Cookies, bread and more cookies. Yummmm it sure sounds good.
Sandy, I know what you're dealing with concerning your mom. DH's dad is getting worse all the time, we are so afraid of getting a call one day telling us he has fallen and broken a hip or worse. Doctors can't seem to figure out why his BP bottoms out everytime he stands up causing him to just drop out. They try to keep a monitor on him to let them know when he starts to get up but
he's like Houdini and keeps figuring out how to take it off. It seems like everytime he falls he hits his head. We are all so worried about him at this point and don't know what to do. It is so very hard seeing them at this point in their lives and just makes you love them even more. When we there last weekend and was getting ready to leave to come home he grabbed my arm with both hands and wouldn't let go. I had to basically pry his hands loose after several minutes, so I walked out crying. Broke my heart to have to leave him. For some reason I was the only one he recognnized that day.

Ok I have figured out if I don't get off here soon nothing will get done. I would say it's the maids day off bbbuuttt. Wishing all my quiltie buds a great day. Sending prayers for all with love and hugs. Will check in later.

K. McEuen
September 28th, 2011, 05:12 PM
Not mentioning Sandy's mom and the fact that just yesterday Sandy made mention of the fact that she, herself ran around naked half the time.

My friend Ellee's dad had Alzheimers and Ellee told me the story of the time her and her sister were visiting with her parents and when her dad came down for breakfast he walked up to his wife, smiled and said "Lady, I don't know who you are, but thanks for letting me sleep with you last night!" Her whole attitude was you either have to laugh or cry about it and they chose to laugh. He mostly was forgetful, never violent and had days of complete mental clearness scattered in.

Sandy Navas
September 28th, 2011, 08:06 PM
MMMMMMMMMMOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, Karen's picking on me again!!!!!!!!!!

My brother and his wife were visiting Mom one day and Mom looked at my brother and asked him "Who is that ugly woman with you?"

You have to laugh or you will die crying!

Blondie
September 28th, 2011, 08:20 PM
Hello my dear friends
Well, it sure sounds as if everyone has had a full plate today! The vehicle got inspected, tags will get done tomorrow - and I also got a little bit of sewing done. Not much, but enough to help me out a bit more on my red and white quilt I have neglected for the past few weeks. I am officially out of batting but have an order which should come in next week. I am anxious to try the Hobbs 80/20 which a friend has recommended. Of course, she's a LAQ and I hand stitch. Sure hope it isn't tough for my needles to go through.
Alzheimers. Terrible disease and a frightening thought. My paternal granny and most of her siblings have had it full blown or a big dose of it. Sis and I keep our knees bent that it skips the rest of our family. Happy that Ellee's Dad and Sandy's Mom are just lively, not violent. My granny was mostly benign but she had her moments of only what we describe as wily She could undo any lock, bolt and at times when she was restrained for her own safety, she was a Houdini there as well. She would strip buck naked and I remember one time when it was really starting to set in on her, I had her with me in the city at a shopping center. She pulled her drawers down, squatted in the parking lot as pretty as you please and relieved herself. Can anyone say OMG? We had to hide all knives and sharp implements from her before she was placed in a nursing facility. She was my granny that taught me to crochet, quilt and garden. She burned most of her quilts in a bonfire she set in her living room and the ones that didn't burn, she cut up and would wrap around her like clothing.
I miss her terribly, she was the livliest most funnest person in my entire life. The original woman/child who never lost her love of laughter. Before she passed, she was almost coma tose. I flew up from Orlando where I was living at the time and when I walked in the room and called to her, she started moving but her eyes were squeezed tightly closed. I sat on her bed and just kept talking to her about things and before I left, she had tears down her cheeks. I know she recognized my voice. Y'all would've just ate her up! And wouldn't she just LOVE all the gadgets and knowledge available now? I declare a day never end without me thinking of this pioneer woman with the calloused fingers and twinkling eyes.

I make a few quilts each year for nursing centers and always want a lady who has alz. to have one. I've also made many a multitude of rag dolls to give to these folks who want to love something in their arms.
God bless you Sandy. It IS good that you can see her but it is also GOOD that she is well cared for by someone other than you or your sis. The care is truly round the clock.

Hugs to all
Blondie

Monique
September 28th, 2011, 09:08 PM
Wednesday is just about over for me and I have done squat. My sewing room is just about ready for me to sew. Today I had to go for groceries. Would rather spend the money on fabric but we can't eat fabric. Maybe tomorrow I will get some sewing done. We are going to Toronto on Friday to meet my son who has a layover on his way home from Bahrain. He lives in BC and he is the one in the Navy.

Night all. Sweet dreams.

HandsOffItsMine
September 28th, 2011, 09:57 PM
Sandy and Blondy, you really do have to keep the "cry or laugh" mentality with the aging. I remember with my maternal Opa, he would say whatever was on is mind and I mean "whatever". Even when there was company outside of the family and he would get up, you could hear him tooting along. If you would say something about it, he would say "Do you want me to hold it in and die?". Still to this day, if anyone lets one fly, that has become the standard answer..."Do you want me to hold it in and die?"

Let's home that we'll have our faculties together as we all age together and quilt away. ; )

Sandy Navas
September 28th, 2011, 10:35 PM
Sandy and Blondy, you really do have to keep the "cry or laugh" mentality with the aging. I remember with my maternal Opa, he would say whatever was on is mind and I mean "whatever". Even when there was company outside of the family and he would get up, you could hear him tooting along. If you would say something about it, he would say "Do you want me to hold it in and die?". Still to this day, if anyone lets one fly, that has become the standard answer..."Do you want me to hold it in and die?"

Let's home that we'll have our faculties together as we all age together and quilt away. ; )

I have to share that the grandkids call this "KID REPELLENT!"

HandsOffItsMine
September 28th, 2011, 10:46 PM
I have to share that the grandkids call this "KID REPELLENT!"

My DH still plays "pull my finger" with Zander, who's 8. I don't know who's be child sometimes. ; )

quiltingtrish
September 29th, 2011, 12:51 AM
Sure wish I could send some of this unrelenting rain to Texas. Long day here but a good one as I picked Katie up and we headed to Dad's. All was clear until we left. It poured so hard I had the wipers on HIGH and the gas on about 25 (on a 65 mph road). I called Tracey and told her she is staying with me tonight and I'll bring her to school in the morning. She is already in bed.
Dad is still sick with his really bad cold, but asked for and got eggs, bacon, and toast. That's a good sign. Plus, Katie had him laughing tonight.

Did a quick drive-by here to see what everyone is up to. Busy - it sounds.

Tomorrow is another long day - unless it rains, then I should be home to check in here. .

Until then sweeties - thinking about ya all,
Hugs,

Sandy Navas
September 29th, 2011, 09:54 AM
Sure wish I could send some of this unrelenting rain to Texas. Long day here but a good one as I picked Katie up and we headed to Dad's. All was clear until we left. It poured so hard I had the wipers on HIGH and the gas on about 25 (on a 65 mph road). I called Tracey and told her she is staying with me tonight and I'll bring her to school in the morning. She is already in bed.
Dad is still sick with his really bad cold, but asked for and got eggs, bacon, and toast. That's a good sign. Plus, Katie had him laughing tonight.

Did a quick drive-by here to see what everyone is up to. Busy - it sounds.

Tomorrow is another long day - unless it rains, then I should be home to check in here. .

Until then sweeties - thinking about ya all,
Hugs,

Sure hoping the bacon & eggs helped your Dad clear up his cold.

I'm terribly excited that Katie 'had' to spend the night. That's a GREAT SIGN - even under the circumstances. Sending you lots and lots of good vibes and special hugs - you deserve them. Patience is a virtue!!