PDA

View Full Version : Addicted Gardener - long list warning

Blondie
April 14th, 2015, 09:27 AM
Let's make up our own list to rival this about quilting! (Of course, there is prolly one already)

You may be addicted to gardening if:

1. Your neighbors recognize you in your pajamas, rubber clogs and a cup of coffee.
2. You grab other people’s banana peels, coffee grinds, apple cores, etc. for your compost pile.
3. You have to wash your hair to get your fingernails clean.
4. All your neighbors come and ask you questions.
5. You know the temperature of your compost every day.
6. You buy a bigger truck so that you can haul more mulch.
7. You enjoy crushing Japanese beetles because you like the sound that it makes.
8. Your boss makes “taking care of the office plants” an official part of your job description.
9. Everything you touch turns to “fertilizer”.
10. Your non-gardening spouse becomes conversant in botanical names.
11. You find yourself feeling leaves, flowers and trunks of trees wherever you go, even at funerals.
12. You dumpster-dive for discarded bulbs after commercial landscapers remove them to plant annuals.
13. You plan vacation trips around the locations of botanical gardens, arboreta, historic gardens, etc.
14. You sneak home a 7 foot Japanese Maple and wonder if your spouse will notice.
15. When considering your budget, plants are more important than groceries.
16. You always carry a shovel, bottled water and a plastic bag in your trunk as emergency tools.
17. You appreciate your Master Gardener badge more than your jewelry.
18. You talk “dirt” at baseball practice.
19. You spend more time chopping your kitchen greens for the compost pile than for cooking.
20. You like the smell of horse manure better than Estee Lauder.
21. You rejoice in rain…even after 10 straight days of it.
22. You have pride in how bad your hands look.
23. You have a decorative compost container on your kitchen counter.
24. You can give away plants easily, but compost is another thing.
25. Soil test results actually mean something.
26. You understand what IPM means and are happy about it.
27. You’d rather go to a nursery to shop than a clothes store.
28. You know that Sevin is not a number.
29. You take every single person who enters your house on a “garden tour”.
30. You look at your child’s sandbox and see a raised bed.
31. You ask for tools for Christmas, Mother/Father’s day, your Birthday and any other occasion you can think of.
32. You can’t bear to thin seedlings and throw them away.
33. You scold total strangers who don’t take care of their potted plants.
34. You know how many bags of fertilizer/potting soil,/mulch your car will hold.
35. You drive around the neighborhood hoping to score extra bags of leaves for your compost pile.
36. Your preferred reading matter is seed catalogs.
And last but not least:
37. You know that the four seasons are:
Planning the Garden
Preparing the Garden
Gardening
~and~
Preparing and Planning for the next Garden
-Author Unknown, but it sounds like me.

ceiliam
April 14th, 2015, 09:38 AM
I think its great used to love gardening. Still would however, due to etc. Think there is nothing better that fresh turned earth and watching plants growing

LRM
April 14th, 2015, 09:38 AM
That is very funny! I admit I do wash my hair to clean my nails after being in the garden -- so efficient.

You know you are addicted to quilting if:
1. You can list the dimensions of any bed, regardless of size.
2. The term "fat quarter" means something to you -- and you love them.
3. You can honestly say you asked for a layer cake for your birthday, got it, consumed and whole thing and didn't gain a pound.
4. You can calculate in fractions without any trouble.

Hulamoon
April 14th, 2015, 09:39 AM
I love The list! I'm so upset that I broke my wrist and can't start a new garden right now :( # 27 is me totally. lol

WendyI
April 14th, 2015, 09:41 AM
Blondie I can relate to SOOOOO many of these...especially 6 and 7! Sadly my gardening days are over. I will miss my gardens for sure!

Blondie
April 14th, 2015, 09:44 AM
1. You can list the dimensions of any bed, regardless of size.
2. The term "fat quarter" means something to you -- and you love them.
3. You can honestly say you asked for a layer cake for your birthday, got it, consumed and whole thing and didn't gain a pound.
4. You can calculate in fractions without any trouble.
5. You see quilt blocks in floor tile and applique blocks in wall paper

Blondie
April 14th, 2015, 09:45 AM
Wendy, start a garden on your porch or window sill. Herbs are so easy that way. I generally start mine in egg shells that way.

WendyI
April 14th, 2015, 10:00 AM
Wendy, start a garden on your porch or window sill. Herbs are so easy that way. I generally start mine in egg shells that way.

While I do AWESOME with garden beds, I am a horrendous potted and indoor gardener! I will be making an effort tho!

Hulamoon
April 14th, 2015, 10:10 AM
I was going to say the same thing as Blondie. If you have a big enough porch, Home Depot has some Wine barrels (I have real ones) that would be perfect!
Search Results for*wine barrels*at The Home Depot (http://www.homedepot.com/s/wine%2520barrels?NCNI-5)

The real ones are't meant to be outside in the rain but now they are bringing these in. Do they have Home Depots up there?

Carrie J
April 14th, 2015, 10:13 AM
Blondie, lived and was that list for many, many years. No more, ahhhhh but no sad here, it was fun while it lasted! I can still enjoy what I did in my yard, from my seat at the sewing machine every day! Trading yard work for sewing wasn't as hard a transition as I thought it would be! :D

WendyI
April 14th, 2015, 10:17 AM
I was going to say the same thing as Blondie. If you have a big enough porch, Home Depot has some Wine barrels (I have real ones) that would be perfect!
Search Results for*wine barrels*at The Home Depot (http://www.homedepot.com/s/wine%2520barrels?NCNI-5)

The real ones are't meant to be outside in the rain but now they are bringing these in. Do they have Home Depots up there?

Yes...we have Home Depots...sadly though my porch and deck are really tiny. I share the porch with my downstairs neighbour and my deck is only 6 x 8...and I have a patio set as well as a love seat and coffee table that will be out there. Will have to be inventive with planters that's for sure but I WILL be doing some for sure!

Carrie, I'm glad to hear that because that's pretty much what I will be doing!

Blondie
April 14th, 2015, 10:20 AM
Blondie, lived and was that list for many, many years. No more, ahhhhh but no sad here, it was fun while it lasted! I can still enjoy what I did in my yard, from my seat at the sewing machine every day! Trading yard work for sewing wasn't as hard a transition as I thought it would be! :D

Which is one reason why I love my perrenials so much! I love the splash that annuals give, but, oh my, my perrenials never dissapoint.

Sandy Navas
April 14th, 2015, 10:24 AM

I'm too old to garden.

Quiltfreestyle
April 14th, 2015, 10:29 AM
6. You would rather go to the LQS than go clothes shopping
7. Non quilting spouse & children know where all the fabric stores are & are conversant with quilting terms.
8. A spotless house is NOT a priority.
9. You have the best crock pot recipes memorized
10. Although not normally mechanical you can tear down & rebuild all your your sewing machines

Who else can think of some more. LOL. Love these lists, both gardening & quilting.

Hulamoon
April 14th, 2015, 10:37 AM

I'm too old to garden.

Dandelion Dream | Urban Threads: Unique and Awesome Embroidery Designs (http://www.urbanthreads.com/products.aspx?productid=UT2301)

Stitches out nice :)

GrammaBabs
April 14th, 2015, 11:07 AM
I'm with Sandy... my SIL has a landscape business and cringes when he comes up the porch steps and sees the flower boxes with "silks"...LOL,,, laugh if you will... I have a knack for it..making it look as natural as possible... and spend the hours saved "poolside" with crochet or knit tools and leading the way to laughs and giggles dancing in the pool while floating!

Cathy F
April 14th, 2015, 11:21 AM
Number one sounds like me and scares the socks off my neighbors!

Hulamoon
April 14th, 2015, 11:21 AM
Wendy I saved this from Pinterest and was thinking it could work for you. The steps are premade (HDepot) in different sizes.
DIY Vertical Planter Garden (http://rufflesandtruffles.com/2013/10/diy-vertical-planter-garden/)

Sonic
April 14th, 2015, 02:43 PM
Ohmygosh...Every single one of those is ME! :0

#7 just gets changed to "...feeds Japaneses beetles to the chickens because they go nuts for them. Plus it satisfies my inner gory self into believing I'm actually gaining ground in the organic war on the bugs." :icon_twisted:

Sorry, nothing to add to the quilting list. Still laughing at how the gardener list fits me to a T!

Sonic
April 14th, 2015, 02:44 PM
Oops, double post.
Forum gremlins must be at it again....

irishrn
April 14th, 2015, 08:27 PM
11. Your non quilting friends think you have a big sweet tooth, since you buy layer cakes, jelly rolls, honey buns and turnovers!

kimsophia
April 14th, 2015, 09:05 PM
Quilting is a hobby for me but gardening is IMPORTANT... :D I need workers to get all my beds cleared (garden beds, that is) but I still love gardening and have some lupins and larkspur to plant soon...