PDA

View Full Version : Monday

Blondie
April 13th, 2015, 07:01 AM

Hello Folksies and welcome to Monday

This past weekend was glorious. Absolutely perfectly perfect days. The sun was shining, the temps were pleasant. I didn't do too much outside work. Actually, did a lot of nothing. I find I am very good at that. And I also find that it is a very good thing to just try to chill out from time to time and really smell the roses, the blooming viburnam, discover the pretty little blooming flowers that some call weeds but I call natural landscaping. One of my favorite short lived little ones is called bugle weed.

Funny thing, this weed, herb, flower thing. What I grew up with as what my Daddy called weed, I would dig up and put in a planter. Now husband says what kind of weed is this, it's kinda pretty. (he is partial to the blue blooms - I like that it multiplies nicely). When I tell him bugleweed, he gets online and researches it. Once he realizes that it isn't a weed, he prints out a page or two and sings it's attributes to me. Silly man. Every plant is a weed to someone. They are all lovely to me, allergies and all. One of my very favorites is called Sweet Annie. The lacy fronds look fragile but I assure you, they are a hardy annual that self seed freely. The fragrance is one that people love or hate. At this time of year, I start my Sweet Annie hunt with the intensity that some children hunt for jelly beans and easter eggs. You see, Annie literally throws her seed wherever the breeze takes it. It never seems to come up in a logical place. I dig up the baby sprouts and put them where I want them. I like to cut them off the stalk and hang them upside down in the house in the fall and also have made some wreaths with them over the years.

Okay, folksies, you horticulture lesson is done for the day. Hope you have a spectacular day. Prayers continue for those in need or not. And obviously because I am me, smiles are never optional. So go ahead and smile.

Monique
April 13th, 2015, 07:33 AM
Good morning. Oh Blondie, you are making me a little jealous with all this talk about flowers or weeds. We still have quite a bit of snow on the ground yet. Yesterday was a glorious day indeed. We did go to an auction sale, hubby bought a vase, a silver and pearl brooch for me and a little bit of silver for himself. We also met up with my niece and we helped her shop for a BBQ.

Today is going to be another glorious day. I think laundry is in order to hang outside. I can get to my clothesline. This week is going to be a quiet one. Bonnie is taking me out on Thursday for my birthday and Wednesday I am taking my sister-in-law out for lunch for hers.

Today the plastic comes off the windows and they get opened to let the fresh air in. I may even get them washed on the outside while the weather cooperates.

Have a great day everyone. Enjoy the sunshine while you can and smile.

irishrn
April 13th, 2015, 07:39 AM
Morning Blondie and all who are soon to come later! Yes, another week has begun. But my days are all running into each other these past two weeks! Once the painting is done I will be getting the spring cleaning in high gear again! Oh joy!!! And in between more doctor visits for DH! the only problem is there isn't any planned sewing days, so I'm gonna have to steal time in between as best I can!
The yellow tree pollen is everywhere! Then when it rains we have the yellow soup everywhere. I look forward to it being over! There is so much to do outside but DH is not feeling well so it is still just waiting! Since I'm allergic to bees, I have to pick and choose any outside time carefully. Last week I waitied till evening to get out to one small area and I was eaten alive with mosquito bites! I just don't get bites though, mine become hard knots of itchiness!!! I have one the size of a dime on my leg that is driving me crazy!! So I slather on the Benadryl gel and pray for it to stop!!!UGH!!!
So I hope all have a good day! Time to get moving before DH wakes up. I can get one coat on the doors and go from there today!

Bubby
April 13th, 2015, 07:46 AM
Morning Everyone,

Blondie, you sure are getting a pretty Spring. We're getting rain this morning. Nothing seems to be normal this year with our weather. So far Spring has been a dud. Yesterday I saw one Dogwood blooming behind our house.

I tried to have a lazy day yesterday but it didn't happen. I have to go to Cuba for a lease signing today after we get back from Jeff's therapy. He took a fall yesterday walking around our yard. He actually stepped in a fairly deep hole that was covered with leaves and his foot went in about a foot. He landed on both knees but he was close enough to a tree to be able to grab it and pull himself up after a bit. He doesn't seem to have hurt his hip but his ankle is sore. This is why I want him to carry his phone with him outdoors. Where was his phone.....in the TV room.

I would love to stay home today but I have to put the trash out and get myself ready for the day. I have many miles to go before I can rest. I'm looking forward to meeting our new tenant. So far everything has been done over the phone and fax. One of our former tenants wants to move back, so this means that as of May 1st we will be full again.

I hope the sun shines today wherever you are.

Ginny B
April 13th, 2015, 08:06 AM
Good Morning all. Here we are at Monday. Great weather-weekend here - especially yesterday. Saturday was a bit too breezy to do much outside so I concentrated on inside stuff including straightening up my sewing room and cleaning my sewing machine. Yesterday we got a lot accomplished outside and enjoyed being out there with my spring flowers that are blooming. We slept well last night for sure. :) I didn't get any sewing done but I did get some projects organized and some flannel washed and ready to be made into some receiving blankets. So this morning I will head upstairs and turn on my sewing machine and get a little something done before work. But first, I need to figure out what to wear to work.

Have a wonderful day everyone.

Jean Sewing Machine
April 13th, 2015, 08:30 AM
Good morning all! Spring has certainly sprung here in Cardinal Nation, local opening day here! St. Louis has the craziest rabid baseball fans! Some folks have been camping out since Thursday for cheap tickets!

I drove past our old house yesterday to see if our dogwood tree was blooming, and yes, it was in its glory! My late husband planted this tree in 1966 in a coffee can. We were living in a rental home then, but when we moved to this house in 1968, he planted two of these in the front yard. They were the size of pencils! And needed a lot of nurturing to get them going! They grew and grew. There were some competing trees in this tiny front yard which kept them from getting too big. The competition has been removed, this dogwood's twin had to go when they had to have the sewer line dug up some time back. Now the remaining tree has plenty of room to spread out! Even though I don't live there anymore, it is in my neighborhood and I stalk it every spring!

Brings me warm and fuzzy memories every year!

Have a great day!

Madeforyouinma11
April 13th, 2015, 08:44 AM
Good morning everyone!
I had a wonderful weekend! I had a 3 day weekend which made it possible to get lots done. I finally got all my seeds planted in little trays and have them sitting on a table under a window so they can get the sun. I was a little late getting them done so I'm hoping they come up strong.
I also got every bit of laundry washed, dried and put away. I vacuumed and dusted and cleaned the bathroom. And on Sunday, I spent some time outside doing some cleanup work. It was so nice being outside in the sunshine. We had Porter outside all day with us. He really loved it. Now I just need to get him trained to do his duty outside. He still doesn't like the leash very much so I can't take him for a walk, but he has plenty of room in the yard to run until we get him used to the leash.
We also cooked on the grill both Saturday and Sunday. Love keeping my kitchen clean.
Well, today is an 11:30 day with Julia so I'm going to see what I can do before I leave.
Hoping everyone has a great day and prayers to all who need them.

Madeforyouinma11
April 13th, 2015, 08:49 AM
Good morning all! Spring has certainly sprung here in Cardinal Nation, local opening day here! St. Louis has the craziest rabid baseball fans! Some folks have been camping out since Thursday for cheap tickets!

I drove past our old house yesterday to see if our dogwood tree was blooming, and yes, it was in its glory! My late husband planted this tree in 1966 in a coffee can. We were living in a rental home then, but when we moved to this house in 1968, he planted two of these in the front yard. They were the size of pencils! And needed a lot of nurturing to get them going! They grew and grew. There were some competing trees in this tiny front yard which kept them from getting too big. The competition has been removed, this dogwood's twin had to go when they had to have the sewer line dug up some time back. Now the remaining tree has plenty of room to spread out! Even though I don't live there anymore, it is in my neighborhood and I stalk it every spring!

Brings me warm and fuzzy memories every year!

Have a great day!
Jean, that tree is beautiful! It must be so nice to still be able to visit a piece of your past right there in your own neighborhood.

Annette Ackley
April 13th, 2015, 09:16 AM
Good Morning everyone!!! Yesterday, I finally got to hang my wash out. Something about your clothes smelling fresh!! I cleaned the fall leaves out of my flower bed. My rhubarb plant is looking good. Yesterday was a sentimental day. It was my DS's birthday. She left us 4 years ago. She was a wonderful gal. She loved scrapbooking like I love quilting. Today, the DH has a Dr. Appt. With the foot Dr. Can hardly wait. Hopefully I get to sew today. Have a good day everyone!!

Simply Quilting
April 13th, 2015, 09:16 AM
Blondie, your weed story reminds me of my in-laws dealings with Morning Glory. For farmers, Morning Glory is an obnoxious weed - it becomes very viney and plugs up the combine then the farmers get to spend a lot of time trying to get the stuff out of the combine so they can continue harvest. Several years ago my m-i-l planted some of it right off the deck as it became a popular flower. It was very interesting for the next couple of days around there. The plant is still there and has taken off like crazy.

Jean, that is a beautiful dogwood. I remember in fourth grade, every student received one. Last I knew it was still in the yard at the old farmhouse.

My plans for the day include babysitting and laundry. Tonight I am having some ladies over for freezer meal cooking. By the end of the night, we will each have seven meals ready for the freezer. Then pull out of the freezer, thaw, warm-up and set the meal on the table. If I get a chance, I am going to cut out some fabric.

Have a great day everyone :)

Grandma Nan
April 13th, 2015, 09:30 AM
This pretty much says it

Amy R
April 13th, 2015, 09:32 AM
OOO freezer cooking is what I need lessons on!! That would make life a lot easier and cheaper I bet around here.

Had the best weekend a girl could ask for. With my parents' surprising me for my birthday and the rest of the weekend full of outdoor work and fun... and culminating in a large joann's haul. I'm so blessed. Truly. I just wish distance wasn't such a factor with my friends and family!

Looking forward to trying to get caught up with my quilting projects this week so I can get started on a new project :D
I was sent a beautiful piece of patriotic fabric to go with my dad's project, and as soon as I "recover" from hand quilting hubby's quilt I'll start Dad's. I want to try to make it look as close to the time period as possible so no machine quilting on that one either. His birthday is August so I'm going to set that for a goal. I know it'll be here before I know it though.

It's supposed to rain here today and it is somewhat overcast so soph and I are going to try to outdoors it asap so when it rains later we can do tv or puzzles etc. indoors. Dad and DH set up and repaired her swing set that was damaged by my "friend's" kids. No more peeps allowed on the property I'm tired of stuff getting damaged. I'm thinking of getting her a sand box (covered) for her birthday present so that'll complete the outdoor fun.. swing set, water table then sand box.

Hope everyone has a good week, full of feeling better mind body and spirit. Still praying for everyone.
Hugs to all!

ravelim
April 13th, 2015, 09:57 AM
Amy, hope that birthday was fun.
Hugs to all who need them.
We had a beautiful weekend here. Didn't do much just enjoyed. Did get some picking up done in sewing room and a little sewing on my Hunter square. I Resewed so many times I should have the quilt almost done. Lol
Have a great day everyone.

Carrie J
April 13th, 2015, 10:25 AM
Morning All! :D We are under leaden skies and have been since Friday, ugh! Rain for the next three days, so other than a short trip today, I'm in for some housecleaning and sewing. Hugs and Blessings to all, and especially those that need them. Blondie, Spring weeds eradicated temporarily, lol, but they are returning with all this wet weather, I'll send ya some, LOL!

Sandy Navas
April 13th, 2015, 10:38 AM
Weekend? What weekend? Days blend into days into days and into other days. We had another storm run through last night, a wee bit of thunder and lightening and then a nice, soft and gentle rain most of the night. Just enough to put a chill in the air and make it uncomfortable for this old bag of bones to be trying to clean up outside. Al has been so totally wrapped up in a special computer program so he's basically useless as far as outside chores go. But, let me start in the kitchen and he's there wanting to help. Too cute.

So I finished my rag quilt - may be able to get a bit of sunshine so I can get a decent picture taken today. Changed tactics on my applique work and have all the applique done on a special project for a special little friend of mine. Even made a Flat Grandma doll to tuck inside. May or may not get that project off my table today.

Making mental plans for my trip next week. Need new shoes and our wonderful bubba gave me some great tips so I'm off to see what's available here. Have to pick up some coffee at the grocery and then the rest of the day is mine to sew. Have an appointment for a perm tomorrow morning, too!! I remember when I was young and Li'l Sis and I would hear about an impending vacation. We'd hurry and grab our suitcases and pack. It may be a month before the actual trip and we'd have to get in the suitcases to find something to wear. Come actual time to leave and Mom would have a heap of laundry to do. I feel like packing but know I'd run out of something decent to wear before departure date. PADUCAH, here we come!!

MayinJerset
April 13th, 2015, 11:02 AM
What a beautiful dogwood tree at Jean's old house, so glad it has survived all these years. I hated it when we lost mature trees that we grew from little sticks, all are gone now accept a small ornamental pear tree out front. Been enjoying its pink blossoms that appeared last week.

Yesterday we had company so I put away sewing stuff that was in dining room as and will leave it away. Today I have a ton of laundry to wash and put away, lots of dh's big heavy sweat shirts as well as my Christmas ones. Hope by not being drawn away to sew I'll get all done today.

Will spend time in garage this afternoon. We've been clearing the 'stuff' that has accumulated over the years. DH has built shelves out there so we can store stuff we want to keep and the rest will be given away or to Good Will. Would prefer to donate to local church thrift shops but they have devoted much of their space to food pantrys and have very limited space left for more household items.

Navy Wife
April 13th, 2015, 11:37 AM
We had a beautiful weekend, and enjoyed dinner on the screened porch with DS#1 and wife. Today is cloudy and the beginning of a week of rain and clouds. At least it will keep the pollen down!

Our builder friend came up today to start on house repairs. The front window has been leaking for several years, and has rotted out the floor and some of the support underneath. I kept telling DH that it smelled like mold in there! Since it is also my sewing room, I will be doing other things this week. It gave me a chance to empty the closet (stash). Oh my! I had no idea! So I'm going to sift through things and get ready for a quilter's sale followed by a garage sale. It is time to get rid of all the stuff that we have accumulated in nearly 60 years of marriage. The house may pop out of the ground without all the weight. My children are cheering us on! They know it would be their job if we don't do it now.

It will be a busy week. I have to get a haircut (wish you were here, Blondie), and a dental apt and Dr. appt. I guess I had better get started. Hope you all have a good week. Prayers for all those who need them, and some for those who don't!

Linda

shermur
April 13th, 2015, 11:52 AM
Morning all! Happy birthday to BobW!

I love spring; although, I could do without the rain shower we're getting as I have a job interview this morning....you know, hair and make-up precise and I don't want to get wet!

Here's our front yard spring blooms and I so want to plant a magnolia tree in our front yard!

tnmtgrl
April 13th, 2015, 02:10 PM
Good morning. ..rather afternoon. ....spring has sprung here in east Tennessee. ..I put out my hummingbird feeders yesterday...hopefully we'll see them in a few days. I spent my beautiful weekend painting trim that is going in my quilting studio today...I don't want to see any paint brushes for a while. Later today I will have to stain the window sills that he is making right now. Right now I am chilling out on the bed with my fur babies.... both are laying here snoring away. I hope everyone has a great start to their week.

toggpine
April 13th, 2015, 06:28 PM
I'm seriously thinking about a blankie and a nap.

Sandy Navas
April 13th, 2015, 10:44 PM
Feel better soon, Cathy!!