PDA

View Full Version : Hay Fever - How Are You Coping with Seasonal Allergies?

JCY
April 13th, 2015, 12:05 AM
I started the generic Claritin in March. I was doing well until yest. when I worked out in the yard. Today it was VERY windy! My eyes are tearing & nose is dripping, even with taking pseudoephedrine in addition to the Claritin. Last night I had to take a Benadryl at bedtime in order to sleep. I'm using my Neti Pot twice a day instead of the usual once daily. The pollen from the trees & bushes as well as the now flowering trees are what get to me. I've never felt the need to see an allergist, but maybe it's time. I've tried to cope with over-the-counter antihistamines, etc. What works for you?

CraftHer
April 13th, 2015, 12:37 AM
Zyrtek, the brand name. The generic doesn't work as well for me. Claritin doesn't work at all for me. Allegra helps when my throat burns, but itchy eyes are my biggest thing. When the allergies are too much for the Zyrtek alone, I use Zalidor (sp?) eye drops. It'seems a little more expensive, but it doesn't sting like the others. I find I can keep ahead of it if I take something when my symptoms first start to get irritating.

I really don't like the Neti pot, but the darn thing helps. I've tried the saline spray and it was ok. That darn pot works better.

bubba
April 13th, 2015, 01:57 AM
Allerclear (the brand Costco sells) is my friend this time of year. Once it starts up, they will come in handy! I like them because you only have to take one a day.

pcbatiks
April 13th, 2015, 02:19 AM
I use Allegra as needed and my DH uses Zyrtec.......also use saline spray sometimes if sinus pressure is bad. It's amazing how allergies and sinus pressure can make you feel so lousy. Hope you feel better soon.

K. McEuen
April 13th, 2015, 03:08 AM
Zyrtec here as well. A friend of mine that has had a heart attack said his cardiologist recommended it for him so I thought I'd try it too. It has worked wonders for me, and I do spring for the name brand.

Blondie
April 13th, 2015, 06:30 AM
Zrytec, neti pot and local honey. I start in with the locally harvested honey in early March before things get really pollen-y. This has been a rough season so far. On our local news this morning that this is the worst year so far as allergies go; worst in a long time. Oy. And it;s just starting with the yellow stuff. Spent yesterday in a dark room with a migraine.

Eriepatch
April 13th, 2015, 09:54 AM
Thank goodness we are getting rain today maybe it will help.

Liberty
April 13th, 2015, 12:56 PM
I use generic Claritin D and generic claritin alternately. I do a nasal flush about every other day.

And I take Ibuprofin for the sinus headaches. Spring is wonderful but a pain for us allergy sufferers!

Grandma Nan
April 13th, 2015, 01:05 PM
I use Zyrtec which is Reactine for us. Like it because no pseudo-ephedrine to make you feel zippy.

Carrie J
April 13th, 2015, 01:36 PM
Zyrtec here, the others just don't work for me, then there are the saline flushes. Working in tandem on those really baaaaaaad days, win, win. Right now my carport has tire tracks in the pollen, really bad year this year! UGH!!! Thank you southern pine trees, the scourge of the South!! We don't use the phrase "living behind the yellow curtain" for nothing here!

Wwena
April 13th, 2015, 03:45 PM
I highly recommend you try the newer (not new) Desloratadine, which is a vastly improved version of Clarityn. In Sweden (Europe?) it's on the market as "Aerius". It's now more than ten years old, so it's cheaper than it used to be. I suffer from grass pollen allergy (hayfever, no astma). Clarityn never worked for me and other meds I tried all carried heavy sideeffects while not helping enough (and I tried pretty much all there were 13-15 yrs ago). Aerius works a charm! From having to use nasal spray, eyedrops, hairclips etc along with the allergy medicine, I now only take one medicine - and with no side effects. I've been taking it for more than ten yrs and its effect is the same.

I've also taken shots (the ones where they try to get your body to get used to the allergen), but I'm not sure how much of a difference they made. Some, but most of the improvement is down to Aerius (when I couldn't take it due to pregnancy or breast feeding, I really missed it!).

No gardening when it's very windy, by the way - that's just common sense for someone with pollen allergies. :)

Wwena
April 13th, 2015, 03:48 PM
Oh I looked up Zyrtec (since so many take it). It's an older drug than Aerius and one I remember trying (although here it's called Zyrlex) and sleeping for a solid weekend lol. It was the one of the older meds that had the best effect for me but the sideeffects, oh my. And I had to complement with something else to get rid of the swelling in my nose. *sniff*