PDA

View Full Version : Keeping Fabric Clean

gaylinski
April 10th, 2015, 09:58 PM
How's the best way to keep my fabric clean after I get it on bolts/boards for storage? I've always wondered that about the fabric stores, all that fabric they have.

quiltsRfun
April 11th, 2015, 01:12 AM
I keep mine in a cabinet with doors closed to avoid fading and dust.

brook
April 11th, 2015, 03:27 AM
I have mine on a large roll that the batting came on and have a plastic bag draped over the top.(I know, were not suppose to use plastic.) It's in my closet.

rebeccas-sewing
April 11th, 2015, 05:43 AM
Mine are in bins here in Baarn to keep them clean. At home I'm setting up bookcases with doors to store them. I understand it's really important to keep them out of the light. Many of us keep fabrics for years so it's important to keep them hidden away from UV. In the shops I think the fabrics probably don't stay on the shelves long enough for it to be a concern. I've never seen faded fabrics in a shop.

Iris Girl
April 11th, 2015, 06:01 AM
Mine are on comic boards and then in plastic tubs stored by color.

irishrn
April 11th, 2015, 10:08 PM
Mine are on comic boards in a dresser! Precuts are in cloth cubes with covers. Holiday fabric is in a large plastic container.
I'm running out of room!!

gaylinski
April 12th, 2015, 01:30 AM
Thanks for all the good ideas. I have most of my fabric now in bins. I bought some foamboard and spent the day cutting it and wrapping my Fat Quarters. I'm getting 16 to wrap on of the Fat Quarter size I'm doing, 4 1/4 x 7 1/4, out of one piece of the foamboard. So far I've wrapped 32 and still have lots to go. I'm going to put these in pictures boxes Then I'll start on my odd sized fabrics.