PDA

View Full Version : Dog Anxiety

Carlie Wolf
April 9th, 2015, 08:28 PM
Carlie developed a fear of storms recently. Something that never bothered her before. It's awful and you feel so helpless to help them. I found some dog relaxation music on utube that they said works for dogs with various anxieties. I'm amazed. It worked immediately when we had the storms yesterday and then again today.

I do make the house cozy along with it. Like close blinds, windows, turn on lights and make up a cozy crate with cage left open but covered (she has NO interest in that).

A little while ago the wind picked up with rain and hail and she woke me up letting me know something was drastically wrong in the world. I quickly ran around closed windows etc, turned the music on and told her it was ok and lie down. She plunked down next to my chair and relaxed with the music even falling asleep for a while. It worked the same way last night when the storms came through.

You can purchase CD's but I've bookmarked some on utube if you want to try some if you dog has anxiety issues. They have them for storms, separation anxiety, sleep, general relaxation etc and they say it works for dogs and cats.
Here's a few if you want to try one on your pet but there are tons on utube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNf-ERYgyhs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Dfy01uuQJs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiI13c_lQgU

irishrn
April 9th, 2015, 09:17 PM
Thanks! Tonight was Caseys first thunderstorm since we got him. He went into our bedroom and got up on the bed and laid as flat as he could while curled up! He's not shaking, just in the dark, where the curtains should shield him from the lightening flashes.
The thunder is more like a low rumble. So far so good.
But thanks for the links, they may come in handy!!

kimsophia
April 9th, 2015, 10:06 PM
Wow I had heard of thundershirts for dogs, but not music...

The Best Dog Anxiety Treatment | ThunderShirt (http://www.thundershirt.com/)

Equilady
April 9th, 2015, 10:08 PM
It may sound unbelieveable but I have a friend that had a jack Russell that couldn't tolerate storms. She bought him a thunder shirt and it relaxed him in any situation where he normally would have been a basket case.
Glad you found the music.

Eriepatch
April 9th, 2015, 10:09 PM
Yes, I've used the Thundershirt several times. Expensive but if you get one at Bed Bath and Beyond and have a
20% coupon it helps. Mostly I use it around the 4th of July

bhaggerty
April 10th, 2015, 02:10 AM
Thunder shirt works great!
it is a weighted wrap jacket for dogs, much like the weighted vests for autistic kids to help with anxiety

bakermom
April 10th, 2015, 03:28 AM
I've wondered about the thundershirt. Our dog never used to be bothered by storms. as she's gotten older she really gets stressed. she walks around panting and tries to get as close to me as possible. Never heard of soothing music for dogs though. Will try it out

Sandy Navas
April 10th, 2015, 10:32 AM
I started playing one of the links and Al immediately fell asleep and started snoring. What's with that? Guess it just goes to show that you can't teach Old Dogs New Tricks . . .

WendyI
April 10th, 2015, 11:04 AM
I started playing one of the links and Al immediately fell asleep and started snoring. What's with that? Guess it just goes to show that you can't teach Old Dogs New Tricks . . .

LMAO! Sandy!!

I've also heard of Thundershirts but never music. Thankfully my dog doesn't seem to fussed about storms. Glad you found something that works!

rebeccas-sewing
April 10th, 2015, 11:15 AM
Sandeeeee......hahahaha

dwil23
April 10th, 2015, 12:48 PM
Thanks for those links! Will definitely give them a try as the season is getting underway.

We have one dog that literally chewed through a wire crate and had to have several teeth removed and gum surgery because of thunder. We do our best not to be away from home during storm because of him. We have a thundershirt, and it helps, but not totally. My DS's dog also has extreme anxiety with storms and fireworks.

murphysranch
April 10th, 2015, 04:54 PM
My 9 yr old cattle dog just became afraid of storms and loud rain. I got a thundershirt off of eBay and it does help. Doesn't solve his nervousness but abates it a bit.

Divine Daisy
April 10th, 2015, 07:26 PM
Not had a storm yet with Lou

irishrn
April 10th, 2015, 07:55 PM
Last night was the first storm since we rescued Casey. I thought it was going well as he went into the bedroom and hopped up on the bed. When I went back in to check on him, I couldn't find him anywhere! I called, nothing. Searched the closet, bathtub, nothing.
Finally I spotted his nose on the floor just at the end of the headboard. I have no idea how he got under there as it is a platform bed with drawers under the bed. The space is so small!!! But he decided to come out and see me then went right back in there.
Tonight we are scheduled for another round! Poor babies. I hate it for them when they are so frightened.

Carlie Wolf
April 10th, 2015, 07:58 PM
Eileen, really, try playing the music for him.