PDA

View Full Version : A Dog!?!!?

Longstocking
April 8th, 2015, 07:06 PM
We have talked off and on about getting a dog. I have 4 young kids (ages 6, 5, 2 and 1) who have always wanted a dog. They all love dogs. We kept telling the kids when we were in our own house and not renting we would look into it. Well, just a few weeks ago we moved into our very first house -- OURS! Right away the questions started, where's our dog? When are we getting a dog? My 6 year old son is autistic and he really needs a furry friend. Today I randomly glanced through pictures of dogs available in our area and the cutest girl jumped out at me. I've always felt 'meh' about dogs. Never been with one I really liked. But oh my goodness. Soon as I saw the pictures of this dog I got all giddy and excited. I wanted her! But, she was an emergency case who needed a home ASAP. I showed my husband the pictures and asked him what he thought, 'lets go get her right now!' -- oh boy, so in a little less than 2 hours we will be taking our kids to meet the dog and probably bring her home. What?! This is pure crazy! Where will she even sleep tonight? She comes with a leash and a few toys but I think that's it. My husband said it would be fine, she'll be happy on garbage blankets. Uh, I don't have any garbage blankets. I only keep what I love and is usable. So, we're jumping both feet in with no planning. We know nothing about owning a dog. Feeling excited and nervous right now. Any tips? Help - lol
I haven't told the kids yet. I'm excited to surprise them.

marytfnp
April 8th, 2015, 07:10 PM
I am so excited for them and for you! We never had wanted a dog, then we inherited one and are so glad we have her! I hope she will fit right in with your family

bubba
April 8th, 2015, 08:14 PM
What kind of a dog is she? How old? She may be kennel trained. If not, it might be wise to do so. Ours always were in the kennel at bedtime and while we were away, but now that there is just Yoda, who can be trusted, he is loose all the time. I did, however, put him in the kennel last night because I was sore and tired and wanted a peaceful sleep instead of him rolling all over all night long!

Hulamoon
April 8th, 2015, 08:21 PM
How fun!. How nice your taking in a rescue dog. I tried ,but the dogs were way to big for me. Show us a picture when the pup gets home :)

Edit.. I didn't have a crate but one of those folding fences you can get at the pet shop. I only use it now for corralling him in when a contractor comes over.

irishrn
April 8th, 2015, 08:23 PM
I've had dogs all my life and raised my kids with them too. So I know the joy they can bring to a family.
Remember that a rescue dog needs some time to adjust to a new home so the kids will have to learn patience with her. But once they settle in they are so grateful and loving.
December 7 th I took my husband to the rescue ranch in our area where I make kennel blankets for them. He was sitting on the coach waiting for me and this little guy jumped in his lap, snuggled with him, and then chased all the other dogs away!
Well Casey has lived with us for 4 months now and we don't regret it!
So enjoy the journey with the unconditional love of a dog!

Shirley
April 8th, 2015, 08:41 PM
I'm a dog lover. I've had a dog as long as I can remember. Our dog does not get on the furniture and we have taught him not to jump on people. He is very big (100 lbs). He's a wonderful dog, a part of our family and we love him as much as he loves us. If there is ever any thing I can do to help, please just let me know. Just love her and take good care of her. She will give you years of enjoyment.

CraftHer
April 8th, 2015, 10:39 PM
Congratulations! We have a chocolate lab who is just the best dog. I definitely recommend kennel training. It gives the dog a place of their own. I also recommend training classes that the whole family goes to. We went to Petsmart. I learned so much! Didn't realize the reason he wouldn't listen to me sometimes is because I was giving mixed signals.

Jenny has a great dog bed tutorial. :)

Please post pictures and updates!

laura44
April 8th, 2015, 10:44 PM
Congratulations! Think about dog training classes. Dogs want and need to
know their place in the family. Decide right away if you want the dog on the
couch or in the beds. There will be an adjustment period. Post a picture!

shermur
April 8th, 2015, 10:51 PM
#1. What kind of dog?
#2. How old?
#3. Male or female?
#4. Size of dog?

Just make sure when taking on the 4th child (the dog), an owner/family must be responsibile in all aspects of owning a dog. Watch Cesar Milan, think about basic dog obedience classes. Make sure the dog knows who the alpha is in the house...
I've been working with dogs my whole life and volunteering in dog rescue. Lean everything you can about the dog you're adopting. Make sure the children understand how to treat the dog and how to care for the dog.

I'm very proud of you, Longstocking....you're saving a life and in turn, the unconditional love will be returned to you more than you know.....and befoer you ask....yes, we rescued a pit bull mix bully breed. Dottie is one of the best dogs we have ever owned.

ilive2craft2
April 8th, 2015, 11:14 PM
Hoping that she is a perfect fit for your family. Love my fur babies - mine is a 12 year old 100 lb golden retriever. He thinks he is a lap dog.....

Snip Snip
April 8th, 2015, 11:38 PM
I'm loving everyone's comments about their own dogs. I have known we need a dog for a while, to help fill a need, help my DH get through his depression, give us something to get through the days. He is resisting. I may just have to spring one on him. He really enjoyed the cat we babysat for 3 months, but he does love dogs. Just can't commit right now. He needs a nudge.
I hope you enjoy your new dog, and she adjusts well to the kids.

Pandabear
April 8th, 2015, 11:53 PM
We ended up with 3 dogs. All labs. Not one regret.

Hope all goes well for you and your family with this. Dogs are awesome.

Oh, cats are awesome too. Have two of those.

BellasQuilts
April 9th, 2015, 01:16 AM
Kids? Get a lab. They are wonderful loving big bundles of love.

easyquilts
April 9th, 2015, 01:55 AM
The kids will be do excited, and happy.... Don't worry... It'll be OK... Everything will fall into place... Dogs and kids are naturals together....

ceiliam
April 9th, 2015, 01:59 AM
Dogs are great, i think almost every dog is good dog they need love attention time took m uh y boston to obedience school.. Most of it took. He is a sweetie. Adores kids and extremely. Gentle and patient with them. L oves to follow me , would not trade hime for anything

Klasien
April 9th, 2015, 05:03 AM
Kids? Get a lab. They are wonderful loving big bundles of love.

That is what I also thought when reading your post, get a Lab!
they love kids and are the sweetest dogs in the world.....can you tell I have two labs ;)

Enjoy the journey with the dog and make sure to post pictures!!

rebeccas-sewing
April 9th, 2015, 06:35 AM
This is very exciting and we expect you to commit to lots of photos of this new adventure. I agree with all that's been said about training, etc. Definitely make sure you know all about this dog. Deciding in advance as to what you expect of the dog is extremely important. Our dog was a lab puppy Joe brought home one day. She was confined to the kitchen until she was house broken. She was allowed in the family room, only to cuddle until we could trust her not to go to the bathroom in the house. She learned quickly. She also slept in a cage at night. They won't mess in their cage. Puppies like to chew everything in site so caging will save on furniture legs and such. A puppy needs lots of chew toys. If the dog is caught chewing on something that's not acceptable a verbal reprimand is necessary and a chew toy should be given to encourage the proper item to be using for teething. It's not cruel to confine for short periods of time. They actually like the confinement since it gives them a feeling of security. It's also a relief when your are out of the house and unable to supervise your pet. A funny story - a friend was training service dogs. They ended up keeping one who didn't pass the test. Suzie would sometimes babysit other service dogs for friends when the friends needed a sitter. When her dog would get tired of the puppies she would literally go in her cage and shut the door. hahaha Smart dog! Definitely give the dog a chance to get used to a new home and tell the children to be calm around him/her at first. He/she will need time to adjust. Training the dog will make life with a pet very enjoyable. Untrained animals can be a real nuisance. Joe spent a good deal of time training Rosie and it really paid off.

songbird857
April 9th, 2015, 08:18 AM
More info from the shelter is a must - as much as they can give you! How old? Vet/shots history? Spayed? Potty trained? Any major issues with aggression, biting, chewing, etc (especially important with kids in the house).
Be prepared to give up your free time - this pup will need all of your attention and love.
I agree wholeheartedly with the crate training - never as punishment, but as a safe place for your dog at night (especially while you get to know her habits so she doesn't get into something harmful - also peace of mind for you so you can actually sleep and not be thinking... hmmm I wonder what she is into!). The crate will be her friend when she is overwhelmed if she isn't used to kids too :)
There are some great videos on youtube for training (You may also want to get her into a class) - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZzFRKsgVMhGTxffpzgTJlQ
Good luck and have a blast!!

WendyI
April 9th, 2015, 11:00 AM
Can't wait to see pics. And I do hope you will ask a lot of questions. Rescue's are not normally for first time dog owners with no knowledge so I hope you are prepared. Between us all there is a lot of knowledge and experience. I have also always had dogs and there is a lot to know! If you need help, ask. Hope everything works out!

Longstocking
April 9th, 2015, 01:31 PM
She is only 7 1/2 weeks old. A Pyrenees-Lab mix. She's only had her first set of shots. From our understanding some local college kids had her but abandoned her because they weren't supposed to have dogs in their dormitory. She is displaying the typical puppy nipping which we need to figure out quickly how to stop that, especially toward the 1 year old who is the same size so she wants to claw and nip at her face. We don't have a crate yet so she slept in the bathtub last night with some towels. She did good all night. Didn't wet or anything. She is a cuddle bug and a furry ball of energy. We're all in love already. My kids named her Mako.
It was fun to see pictures of your fur babies. And thank you for all the helpful tips! I'm a Stay-at-home mom so I'll be the primary trainer and caregiver so I have a lot to learn. I know it will be up to me to learn and train and then teach my husband.
We briefly lived with my in-laws who had a black lab that wasn't trained. We all disliked that dog because she would only listen to my MIL and was always stealing my kids food off their plates on the table or taking dirty dishes out of the sink, etc. Hoping to train this dog to be better behaved :)

bubba
April 9th, 2015, 01:40 PM
Ohhhh...Mako is very cute!! When we got a westie puppy once, she was teething and liked to nip. I would grab hold of the hair on the lower jaw, right under her mouth and tell her NO! If it continued, I would flick the same area with my fingers. Took about two days and she stopped.

When I housetrained the dogs as puppies, I hung a big bell on the back door. I'd say let's go outside! We would go to the door, I would take their head and touch the bell to make the bell ring, tell them they were good and we would go out. I'd say go potty and then tell them how good they were when they did. Cooper, who was a cairn, always went potty on command....none of the others perfected it that well, but he was a pleaser!

Have fun with your dog!

sewelegant
April 9th, 2015, 01:43 PM
Who could resist that face? She's adorable! Remember - consistancy is the key to training. Do it the same way every time (whatever IT is). Everyone needs to use the same word for whatever. If your word for go to the bathroom is Potty? Everyone says Potty, not pee, pee-pee, do your business, etc. And praise, praise, praise every time she does something right. A small treat in the beginning doesn't hurt! :icon_heh: But most of all, love her. Positive reinforcement & love make for a happy household.

jjkaiser
April 9th, 2015, 01:51 PM
I absolutely love dogs!! So hurray for your decision. Little treats work wonders for house training your dog to "go" outside. Treat every time and your dog should be trained in a week
What kind of dog did you get, can you post pictures?? Have fun with her!!

ceiliam
April 9th, 2015, 02:10 PM
What a cutie bet your kids are over the moon

Altairss
April 9th, 2015, 02:59 PM
Wow what a doll lots of things to do now get a crate at least a 36 long 24 tall one. At the present age size and judging by the feet Mako will be pretty stocky and fairly good sized. Both breeds that contributed are a mouthy dog. Retrievers are jokingly called land sharks when they are puppies. Labs take about three years to mature mentally to an adult mentality and Pryes only slightly younger so plan to treat Mako like a toddler in many ways. Remember their bodies grow to an adult long before their brains.

Be very consistent teach everyone the same words to use so its less confusing. Do some research on each of the breeds so you know what to expect from this cross. Get into a puppy class a good one so you will be trained on how to correctly train the puppy. Bad dogs is usually due to the owners not training or not understanding how to train the dog they got.

Kim T
April 9th, 2015, 03:30 PM
We have found puppies also get into mischief if they are bored and not exercised enough. I also recommend (even if you have a fenced yard) to get them used to a leash so they are not pulling. Going for walks and playing etc. (getting rid of all of excess energy, just like toddlers) was always helpful for us.

Congratulations on the new addition to your family. She is a beauty!

Suzette
April 9th, 2015, 05:13 PM
I am a positive reinforcement dog trainer and I see this a lot. The number one issue I deal with are puppies that nip!

But.... All puppies nip. It is just a fact of life. To teach your pup that is unacceptable to put their teeth on you (and to teach bite inhibition for later in its life), there is a two prong approach for adults and for kids. First of all, your 1 year old should never, ever be with the dog unsupervised and should never, under any circumstances, be allowed to pull, tug poke or play on the dog. (Not saying your child does this, just a general rule to follow). Young kids and puppies are a combination that usually leaves the child in tears because the dog hurt them, even if unintentional.

Now to inhibit the nippiness...

You have to have a way to separate yourselves from the pup each time she nips. (I put up a puppy fence around my living room when my dog was a puppy). When the pup nips, immediately get up and leave the room where she cannot see you or get to you for ten seconds. Don't scold or reprimand in any way. Simply leave the room immediately.

Return after ten seconds as if nothing happened. Go back to what you were doing and when she nips again, repeat leaving without a word for ten seconds. You will do this dozens (if not hundreds) of times over the course of the next several weeks. But she will eventually learn that nipping means you go away, not nipping keeps you in the room. It takes awhile because she is a baby and her instinct is to chew on things right now, so it will be a process that takes time, effort and patience as well as total consistency.

Now, make sure you are not setting her up to fail by playing with her in ways that will encourage nipping. And keep lots of fun, safe chewy things (bully sticks, Kongs, plush toys made for dogs, etc...) around. If you think she is even thinking of chewing on you, gently put one of these items near her mouth for her to chew and then praise her when she does. If she nips, do your disappearing act.

The key is consistency. You must leave every single time she nips you and yes, it gets frustrating and tiresome, but it does work.

Puppies are a LOT of hard work. And dogs are a fifteen year commitment of time, energy, training and money. I wish you well with your puppy! If you choose well and train well, you will have a lovely companion for many years to come. :icon_bigsmile:

songbird857
April 9th, 2015, 05:34 PM
Mako is adorable!!

gale_w
April 9th, 2015, 05:38 PM
She is gorgeous!! I don't know if it's been mentioned but the first and best thing we ever taught our dog is "wait" and "leave it". She cannot eat or go through the gate without us saying "okay" first. Look up "doggie zen" and it tells how to train them to wait for treats. It was easy to train her to wait for food and to wait at the gate after she learned the first part. We never used a clicker but a lot of people do.

Good luck. After our current dog, which we got at 10 weeks old (7.5 is very young so you may have more of a challenge on your hands) I swore I'd never get a puppy again.

FabStripper
April 9th, 2015, 05:56 PM
Mako is so cute and I hope you all have fun with her.

irishrn
April 9th, 2015, 09:23 PM
Mako is adorable!!! No wonder you fell in love with that face! I'm assuming she is going to be a big girl too!
Best of luck with your pup. Many here have lots to offer on helpful hints with pets, but dogs are as individual as are the children in the family. So learn from her too as you go along!! Be patient, she will love you all!!

ilive2craft2
April 9th, 2015, 09:37 PM
She is such a cutie!

Equilady
April 9th, 2015, 10:04 PM
I had a great Pyrenees. Make sure you have a way to keep her from roaming. Great Pyrenees are bred to protect their flock and tend to believe they own everything in eyesight. THe lab part might mellow that out of her but just be aware. My GP was a wonderful dog. When he was a puppy I kept him leashed to me when we were outside and when he was older he sort of fell into the habit of staying with me. Not sure that would be a normal way to train but it worked for us.

Longstocking
April 10th, 2015, 01:27 AM
thank you so much for all helpful advice!
I have a weird question. We put her kennel in the garage. Her water is in the garage as well but not in her kennel or she just knocks it over and soaks her blankets. Should I put a nightlight in there so she can see if she wants to get her water?
Today was a very good day with training kids and puppy. She is a gentle dog (hurray!) and seems to be learning quick. I've finally got the kids to respond appropriately when she nips. I have them yelp then just go limp. They still instinctively want to pull away and run but I know they can't do that. I have been keeping a constant eye on her today, especially when the kids were around. We were outside when she jumped on the baby. I was right by the garage door so I put her In there, shut the door and then got her a few seconds later. It only took twice and she hasn't jumped on the baby again. For good reason the baby is scared of the dog but I finally got both of them to calmly interact. It was so sweet after that the dog laid her head on the babies lap and just sat there calmly. Yesterday when we got her she wouldn't walk with the leash on. Just sat down and refused to budge. After a 2nd walk today and I had her running alongside me no problem. I hope that's a good sign! I know she and the kids will still need constant vigilance. The hardest part was the kids understanding when dog needed a break. Mako was so worn out tonight.
I know there's still a lot of training ahead of us! But we already know this dogs is a very good fit with our family and we are all in love.

MaryD
April 10th, 2015, 09:55 PM
Does Mako have to sleep in the garage? Couldn't she sleep in the laundry? She's only a baby!

I wouldn't put the water dish in the kennel - next to it would be safer (and drier).

You sound as though you are going well with the training.

She is a real cutie. I hope she brings you much joy.

lmanna
April 10th, 2015, 10:26 PM
Mako is super cute !!! Research clicker training. It's super effective and super easy for both human and dogs to learn

Sylvia H
April 11th, 2015, 05:19 AM
You have been given some really good advice. In my state, Pennsylvania, it is illegal to sell a puppy under the age of 8 weeks. Your pup has missed out on some learning from being with her litter mates for 8 weeks or more. (My dog's breeder will not release any pups until 10 weeks of age.) One of the most important things learned from litter mates is bite control. So you will take on that task as well. Also, your pup will want to bite more when she is teething (I think around 4 months, but check on that).

I think you are doing a fine job right now. I agree that it would be better to have your pup inside the house instead of in the garage. It is okay to not have the water bowl in the crate, as long as you make sure that water is available during the day. And that availability can be controlled by you to avoid spills.