PDA

View Full Version : Wednesday Hellos

Blondie
April 8th, 2015, 06:51 AM

Good Morning all of you lovely folksies!

My, we are a very busy group of peeps. And oh so productive! Yesterday, I shoved all the tax papers in a box off of the kitchen table. Now it sits next to me in the "computer room". That was the extent of my cleaning. Oh, I did do the dishes. Big wow. Yesterday afternoon I made a few of those binkie holders that clip on. So cute. Momma to be and baby Olivia Mae(that will be her name) will have a full diaper bag by the time she gets here. I also made a few burb cloths that I made raw edge with zig zag stitching over the raw edges. Washed them up and they look cute. Gee, when I had my kids, I just used hand towels or diapers. Today these gals are getting nice stuff. You know, each time I was pregnant we moved or had just moved to a new state. Three children, three states. Never had a baby shower. Never lived near any of my kin. The only thing that kept me from getting real homesick was that I had the babies. Having 3 kids in 4 years keeps your mind off of just about everything except birth control.

Today is starting out rainy again, although yesterday cleared up nicely mid afternoon. Perhaps today will be the same. It is also gonna be very warm. If it isn't raining too hard when the sun comes up, I can tackle pulling weeds in the drizzle. It makes it so much easier. Did I tell you that last week while I was cleaning up, I was out off of the deck with Gracie and whistled. A mockingbird answered in the same tone. At first I thought, who in the world is on the property! I whistled again and it replied. So neat. My awesome moment of the day. I am not a big fan of mockingbirds since they have been known to flog me while picking blueberries too close to their nests. They need to put a sign stating Occupied close by so I won't be chased off. Robins are thrush are such better neighbors. They just sit on their eggs and say softly, pay no attention to me. You really do not see me. And they sit on while I make note of where their nest is.

I had a restless night of rough sleep, so now that the big man has left for work I may just go back to bed. See ya later, alligators.

Prayers continue for our special friends here and their loved ones. Big hugs and toothy grins for all.

rebeccas-sewing
April 8th, 2015, 07:01 AM
Hey, Blondie! Good morning to you my dear. Well, I decided to stop feeding the birds. I know I'm a scrooge. It was fine when the little birds were coming around. Having six or more crows, wood pigeons and magpies all descending on the yard at once makes for a big poopy mess and some fighting. No more.

Joe's in Germany on business so I'm on my own. I refreshed my vase of flowers. I'm sitting here looking at eight lovely white tulips and thrilled that I only had to pay 2 euros for the bunch. I rarely buy flowers since I always think it's too much of a splurge. At that price I'm happy to keep fresh flowers in my line of sight on a regular basis. Gotta take advantage while we're in flower country. Off to clean! Yuck!

Bubby
April 8th, 2015, 07:09 AM
Moring Everyone,

I guess everyone has a mockingbird story. My Mom and Dad had a mockingbird when my DD was a baby. DD and I spent a weekend with them and a few days later I talked to Mom and she said they had to get rid of the bird because it learned my DDs cry and it was driving them crazy!

We had an pretty impressive electrical storm a couple hours ago. I got up and unplugged Jewel and the computer and printer. The storm went away but it sounds like it's circling back around. We are supposed to get some wild storms the next couple days, so if I disappear you can find me in my hidey hole (my closet). I have all our meds and other important items in a bag in the closet already so all we would have to do is get ourselves piled in. We are in a bad weather zone.

Jeff has PT this morning. He's coming along pretty well now. The stormy weather may slow him down a bit, as he's been walking up and down our road and through the woods to keep himself moving. Yesterday he put on his work boots for the first time and said they feel pretty good. He hasn't had any real shoes on for more than 2 months.

Wishing everyone a wonderful Wednesday. If you are in the path of this latest storm surge, take care.

shermur
April 8th, 2015, 07:26 AM
Morning....

I may walk out today from the company I've been temping for today. I guess I must come to the realization that there is no hope of obtaining a full time position with a company whose ethics I cannot accept.
I'll just to have to keep looking for a job that respects and appreciates my skills and experience.

Shirley
April 8th, 2015, 09:04 AM
Morning everyone! I love reading Blondies message in the mornings. I just kinda pretend I'm sitting there with her, drinking coffee and talking about our dear friends on the forum. Blondie, I think your mockingbirds need a sign like this one

Prayers and hugs to all!! Have a great day.

buckeyequilter
April 8th, 2015, 09:17 AM

Good morning.....

Boy was I put to the test yesterday....keeping my mouth shut.

Anyways.....it's supposed to be 72 here today.....storms. I can deal with that....at least it's not ice & snow.

Not much on my agenda for this week. Work and quilt - that's about it.

Have a great day!

Lightwriter
April 8th, 2015, 09:39 AM
Bubby, I am glad things seem to be looking up some. You are traveling down a rocky road and I hope it turns down a better lane soon.

Yard work has kept me outside for the last week, despite a LOT of wind. The allergies have attacked me this week. I love spring, but my body doesn't much like it.

Hopefully I will get back to sewing before long. I have been a little dispirited by this latest venture of the Tobacco Road quilt. The more I work on it, the more I realize scrappy quilts just aren't my thing. I didn't realize how OCD I could be over how colors are distributed. I am very close to putting it in the UFO pile, but I have put a lot of effort into what I have done and would like to see it to its end. We'll see.

Have a quilty day!

bhaggerty
April 8th, 2015, 10:00 AM
Mockingbirds...
My teenage daughter just got the mockingjay dvd for Easter
My teenage son is reading the book To Kill A Mockingbird

Off to the grocery
Do not have to work today!

Thanks to Toggpine for reminding me to buy popcorn in her other post ( we are out too!)

RockinLou
April 8th, 2015, 10:11 AM
Good morning!! I'm in a good place today, which is pretty impressive since I had a student sent out of my classroom and suspended before 9am this morning! I said the prayer for serenity and refused to let the things I cannot change ruin my day!!

I am sooo close to finishing my student narratives, I'm getting ahead of schedule for the first time ever and have NO intention of bringing work home this weekend. This works out well because my husband hasn't even started his narratives, so I will be on duty with the kids this weekend for sure!!

I don't know if there are any other nuts in this forest with me but I came across this quote and love it. My class decorated our door for literacy month with characters from the Potter novels and I came across this as we searched for quotes.

Grandma Nan
April 8th, 2015, 10:15 AM
Good morning to all my forum friends

Dull day here and still cool. As a matter of fact they were calling for freezing rain in the area this morning but we didn't get any. Spring has abandoned us. I saw on the news yesterday that the garden shops and nurseries are saying that we are about 2 weeks behind in our gardening right now. They are forecasting warm weather for this weekend but it seems every time we get a couple of days of warm we then get a week of almost freezing weather. Blondie I may have to come down there and help you pull those weeds in the rain. I think I'll pass on Bubby's closet as it would get really crowded if we all had to squeeze in there.

I got out some frozen hamburger to defrost and will make a Shepherd's pie for our supper. I need to peel some potatoes and get them cooked up for the topping. Other than that, I plan to sew and start organizing in my new sewing room. Still have to paint the baseboards but the rest is done so I will be able to put up my shelves very soon. It is so frustrating right now because everything I go to find is packed away somewhere but I will soon be able to find things.

My bird stories are focused on the Robins(I have no mockingbird experience). I can't believe how persistent these little red breasted monsters are. We have a constant battle of wills each spring and I will tell you its a close contest. They insist every year to try and build right over our front and back doors. We have trees - go build in the tree- I am determined that I am not having a pile of bird poop running down the bricks and feathers at my door and they have several families per season. I am lucky as DH is also as determined as I that the birds will use our trees and not the ledge over our door. So he bought a spike strip to put along the edge of the shelf they were building on. Jeepers, they went in behind the spikes and built anyway. Last year we took down 17 nests before they finally went somewhere else. I have seen the little buggers sitting on the fence and I think our battle is about to begin again this year. We'll see who wins.

Well folks I am hoping for Spring and praying for those who need interventions and hugs. Have a happy hump day.

Mpyles
April 8th, 2015, 10:31 AM
Good morning! Sounds like everyone is a s busy as they always are! I am on vacation this week...and just not having to go to work is a vacation in itself! Woohoo! I have a 1/2garage full of things from my mil estate nothing valuable..just sentimental. Oh what am I going to do with it all? There is a bedroom suit that's going in my dd room...been trying to get her motivated for days...the old furniture which is prettier in my opinion is setting in my sewing room trying to get my xsil to come and pick up for her grands. Started last week so I could have it out the door...but with easter...it didn't happen. Everything is dusty..she was 92 years old..so dusting not a priority...haha I am 51 and it's not for me either...my poor kids! Anyway gonna go roust that lovely daughter of mine out of bed! You all have a great day!!

MayinJerset
April 8th, 2015, 10:33 AM
Today's planned big food shopping and many errands may not happen as DH couldn't sleep last night. He finally dragged himself out of bed at 9am, most likely because he's hungry. After breakfast I'm sure he'll head back to bed. Since it's dark, damp and raining I may join him as my knees are aching.

Recent arthritis advancement has me thinking of limiting some of my activities, mainly conducting our monthly pillowcase sew ins, next one is scheduled for Saturday 4/18. from 9 - 2. Other coordinator and I usually hold the sew ins together at our guild's meeting building but she has had some serious personal problems come up and also has developed shingles so it's up to me hold the sew ins by myself. Only problem is that she has the key to the building, usually I'd drive to her house and pick up the key but due to the problems she and her DH aren't living in their home and have disconnected their phone. I may be OK for the 18th as an Open Sew is schedule at the same time and the gal holding it has a key. It's just a lot of phone calls and emails to coordinate everything to everyone's needs, don't want to annoy the Open Sew group as some members get bothered if we sit Pillowcase Sew In Reminder email has to be sent to guild members by Sunday at the latest.

Better get another cup of coffee to prime my body pump or I will be going back to bed this morning.

Sandy Navas
April 8th, 2015, 10:36 AM
Spring storms? Yup! The rumble grumble shook Al out of bed early. I rolled over and went back to sleep. Yeah, me!! But, it does look like Eileen's typo goo day out there now. There go the plans I had to clean up the arbor and remove some junk vines. Aw, shucks! That must mean that I get to sew today.

Sis was up yesterday and quilted her latest batik beauty that is destined for deliver to her youngest grandson. It sure turned out pretty. While she was stitching away I played with embroidery designs and somehow messed up my viewing program big time. Hoping a call to customer support can get me out of a giant pickle today.

I think dinner will be roasted chicken and roasted brussel sprouts. Easy!

And so, I'm off (kelter, my rocket, out of my mind, add your own description as they all probably fit) and in my wake I leave good wishes, clean dishes, well-fed fishes and a bundle of switches. Prayers for all our forum family in need - you know who you are, and I do, too!!

sewluvit
April 8th, 2015, 11:02 AM
Bubby, I am glad things seem to be looking up some. You are traveling down a rocky road and I hope it turns down a better lane soon.

Yard work has kept me outside for the last week, despite a LOT of wind. The allergies have attacked me this week. I love spring, but my body doesn't much like it.

Hopefully I will get back to sewing before long. I have been a little dispirited by this latest venture of the Tobacco Road quilt. The more I work on it, the more I realize scrappy quilts just aren't my thing. I didn't realize how OCD I could be over how colors are distributed. I am very close to putting it in the UFO pile, but I have put a lot of effort into what I have done and would like to see it to its end. We'll see.

Have a quilty day!

I want to make a really scrappy quilt too but like you I am OCD about color placement, probably will drive me crazy!

WendyI
April 8th, 2015, 11:06 AM
Morning all..insane day here today. Liam has an eye infection so waiting to hear what the doc says as Scott is taking him to the urgent care clinic. I'm off to a staff conference today. Hoping all are well and sending love and hugs! xoxo

KPH
April 8th, 2015, 11:15 AM
Good Morning All,

It's amazing what a good night's sleep will do for you. Mom slept from 10 to 10. That gave me some time to work on Jim and Morgan's quilt this morning. I finally finished the middle- after trips to JoAnne's and Mary Jo's. My purchase of the extension table really helped. DH and I are going to Lowe's this afternoon and check on a sheet of plexiglass. He's thinking he can make a flat table extension that would help with FMQ. We'll see.

I discovered the Frixion pen at Mary Jo's yesterday. I'd heard people singing it's praises. I know why now. Those air erase, and disappearing ink pins have nothing on that one! I wish I'd bought the set. I've already warned Howard, if and when they're on the DD again, I'm buying!

Have a great day!

Katrina

Carrie J
April 8th, 2015, 11:15 AM
Morning All! :D Yesterday was spent dealing with new cable boxes (do it yourself), and that's pretty self explanatory............erghhhhh!

Cloudy and high humidity here, with severe thunderstorms rolling in tonight. They tested the tornado sirens yesterday, while sunny, without the IRIS call, ROFL! That definitely got our attention, as we're primed for it this time of year. Hubs got on his high horse over that, and I cracked up over his phone call. Most likely why I paid the Karmic price with the cable company later on, his turn to laugh!

New day, new adventures.................and the sewing club meeting tonight! Hope everyone has a great day. Hugs and Blessings to all, especially those that need them.

MRoy
April 8th, 2015, 11:43 AM
Good morning! Our weather forecast shows Barb's and Sandy's storms heading this way. I was in the sewing studio at 4 am yesterday morning unplugging machines while it was storming because I forgot to when I left the day before.

My latest bird story happened last summer. We don't have a garage for our car and truck so they are parked in the driveway. DH's truck has space next to the wipers that small birds can go through and get into the front fender wells. I found bird's nests there and had to use one of those extended grabbers to pick out the straw, twigs and grass. I hope I don't have to fight the birds again this summer as they seem to want to return to the same places to nest.

I'm off to sew more before the storms move in. Happy Hump Day!

K. McEuen
April 8th, 2015, 05:26 PM
I can't believe how persistent these little red breasted monsters are. We have a constant battle of wills each spring and I will tell you its a close contest. They insist every year to try and build right over our front and back doors. We have trees - go build in the tree- I am determined that I am not having a pile of bird poop running down the bricks and feathers at my door and they have several families per season. I am lucky as DH is also as determined as I that the birds will use our trees and not the ledge over our door. So he bought a spike strip to put along the edge of the shelf they were building on. Jeepers, they went in behind the spikes and built anyway. Last year we took down 17 nests before they finally went somewhere else. I have seen the little buggers sitting on the fence and I think our battle is about to begin again this year. We'll see who wins.

Nancy, along with the spike strips go to the store and buy several plastic/rubber snakes. You know the ones in the toy department. Put those up with the spikes and maybe that will keep the robins away. One of the hotels that we book rooms with quite often had installed spikes on their night time lamps and the birds still managed to roost/nest there. Once they added the snakes, no more birds.

irishrn
April 8th, 2015, 09:24 PM
It's almost 8 pm so it's not good morning anymore!! So good evening forum folks.
I've been a bit busy myself for the past few days. Besides taking care of DH, I've been helping a GF recover her window valances. We were both learning as we went along! The top has two parts and each side has two parts. The fabric was beautiful with coordinating fabric edging! It's going to look beautiful! We managed to make a template for the top valance so she could find her fussy cut from a beautiful blue/brown paisley print. Then we made freezer paper templates for the top valance underboard.
Once that was done, we just set out cutting fabric for the first 4 window sets. Putting batting on the boards and viola!!
New window valances!
I haven't been in the sewing room since March 16th. This is wrong!! So wrong!! And tomorrow she goes in for an annual cleaning which is 4 years overdue!! ( she doesn't have a name so I will take suggestions!!) so either I go to nameless DSM #2, OR I go back to painting the kitchen and finally get it finished!! I think the kitchen has priority!!
So I hope all have a good evening. We may be ducking storms here overnight too!
Everyone stay safe!!