PDA

View Full Version : Night Owl trying to post faster than May

kimsophia
April 7th, 2015, 02:09 AM
Mwah ha haaa! I'm first!

I'm soaking my quilt top in water for 24 hours to begin to get the glue basting out and see what it looks like pressed. The glue makes the seams too stiff to press. So I'm following the Elmer's glue web site directions. I need a break from the project anyway. I had to rip out a bunch of seams to get some points matched. Hope you are having pleasant nights! What's up?

bubba
April 7th, 2015, 02:20 AM
Have you used that glue w/the long skinny nozzle? I don't remember that brand causing problems.....boy I wish I knew what it was called!!

pcbatiks
April 7th, 2015, 02:22 AM
Hello Kim........you beat May to the tree branch! :D We are probably going to have our cable cancelled before next month.........the price is ridiculous.......so many fees and other charges and I would get more sewing done. :) Went to quilt guild meeting tonight.....had a nice evening. Hoping to start working on our son's quilt tomorrow.........Zombie Apocalypse. :D

I'm wondering how Cathy's baby goats are doing? They are soo cute!

Have a good evening and don't fall out of the tree on your head! :D

toggpine
April 7th, 2015, 03:14 AM
The kids are just fine! They newest set is about 3 days old. The girl is getting her tendons stretched out. Her bubba of a brother took up most of the room and I'm pretty sure she spent most of the 5 months curled into a ball with her legs tucked under her. It makes it tough for her to get around until the muscles strengthen. She sits on my lap and I bend & flex her little front legs. She is so much better that her first day.

The older kidlets are in the upper pen that has access to an outside run. They need to be big enough to run from eagles before we put them out there. They would be hard to get, but not impossible. they have been having so much fun zipping & bouncing out there. Eric suggested we set up a camera and stream their antics on the web. I don't have the time or technological know-how to do it, but they are entertaining to watch.

I'm trying to get the house put back together after Easter. I almost made it to the sewing room today, but laundry and kitchen duties way-laid me.

Here is the most recent picture of the older kids, and one of the newest ones. Have a good night & sweet dreams up on in the Night Owl tree!

MayinJerset
April 7th, 2015, 03:15 AM
Kim's the earliest Night Owl tonight as I'm posting about an hour after her. It's nice to sit in the tree now that the bad weather is finally over. I've started a Quilt of Valor today and hope to get the top finished by Sunday when my Guild has its monthly meeting. I can pass the top along to the gal who will quilt it Guild's goal is to have 25 QOVs ready for presentation to a local group of vets in mid May.

Pam, I hear you about the high cost of cable. We dropped our Comcast bundle about a year ago and switched to Verizon's FIO bundle for almost $100 per month savings. When the Verizon deal ends we may drop cable completely.

Granny Judy
April 7th, 2015, 03:31 AM
Getting up instead of tossing and turning... I sat down in my recliner for a small break after doing laundry and fell asleep this afternoon.. now I can't get to sleep. Oh, Well, a quick flight around here and I can get some exercise .. It's pleasant night, but the storm clouds are heading my way.

Working on 3 different projects while waiting for some fabric to get here. All of them quilts.
1. Got the backing together for my Ghastlies quilt.. so now I can sandwich and get it quilted.
2. The 3 blocks made for the Hunter's Star and will cut fabric for the outer border to go around them- waiting for fabric for backing, then it can go together and the size should be big enough to cover my bed.
3. Started a black & white quilt.. Six blocks done for it. Waiting for more fabric to arrive before going any further.

Love this weather...and seeing my flowers pop out of the ground. After a quick flight around the forum, I may get in a little sewing. Love seeing the baby goats... and hope to see some finished quilts soon.

dlsnaples
April 7th, 2015, 03:56 AM
Cathy, a live web cam would be great---I bet you would have a following of people wanting to take a "happy break"
Would the live feed count as a daily blog entry for you?
So glad to see your babies. Thank you.

kimsophia
April 7th, 2015, 04:58 AM
Have you used that glue w/the long skinny nozzle? I don't remember that brand causing problems.....boy I wish I knew what it was called!!

I am using a long fine applicator but even so, I had to redo a lot of seams, so those got doubly glued. It's queer that we iron that glue as the Elmer's site says heat makes the glue set...surely quilters have been using this method for years and haven't had that glue ironed into the fabric permanently.

toggpine
April 7th, 2015, 01:07 PM
Kim, did the glue come out???? I'm kinda curious.
I've used the school glue sticks in the past, but not the regular white glue.
I do have directions to use the blue gel school glue to make a resist for hand dyeing fabrics.

WendyI
April 7th, 2015, 01:11 PM
OMG Cathy! I'm SO going to keep pestering you about a cam! I would NEVER stop watching! And there just are NOT enough goat videos on YouTube! I've seen them all so I know! More pics!!

kimsophia
April 7th, 2015, 07:06 PM
Kim, did the glue come out???? I'm kinda curious.
I've used the school glue sticks in the past, but not the regular white glue.
I do have directions to use the blue gel school glue to make a resist for hand dyeing fabrics.

Yes, in fact it came out easily. The soaking alone seemed to take all the stiffness out but I went ahead with a brief soak in sudsy water and then a gentle rinse.

I found another seam that I had glued, but forgotten to sew! Dang, when they come out with glue-able quilts I will be in line for that. :)