PDA

View Full Version : Inquiry re: Quilts for Charity

DramaMama
April 6th, 2015, 09:45 PM
I have read several posts that indicate several of you donate to charity.

My college daughter started an organization and is in the process of applying for 501(c)(3) status -- she has been identified by a local community organization that helps organizations like hers get off the ground. They will complete the 501(c)(3) paperwork, do the organization's taxes, offer ideas for fundraising, assist with advertising, etc. for a fee of $25/month.

Anyway, I was thinking of offering to donate some quilts for auction/sale for her cause and was wondering:

have you come across any "neat ideas" for charities to raise money via auction/sale of quilts?

I mean: do charities post the quilts on its website with start/stop dates for bids? Do any do open bidding/pledges to purchase on Facebook? Or, have you only seen auction/sale at a physical location/event vs. online?

I have yet to Google the topic; thought I'd start here and gain any first-hand suggestions/ideas/advice.

Thanks for your time and input.

K. McEuen
April 6th, 2015, 09:55 PM
Before you set her up for auctions or raffles, etc. you need to check what is legal for her organization to do in the community in which it is located. The State Attorney General for each state has different guidelines for charities and what they can and can't do to raise funds or if a special permit might be needed. It's not something that can be found out on a quilting forum.

(I've worked in the non-profit sector for years.)

Terry L
April 6th, 2015, 11:04 PM
A quilt by itself may not do well on its own. Asking merchants to sell raffle type tickets that often include a service or item they have donated along with the quilt in the raffle has worked for organizations raising money. Also if they can do an organized event like a silent auction. I was involved in raising money for my daughter's school that involved setting up a silent auction which included quilts, trips and a golf shirt that was blessed by the Bishop of the Diocese ( which I bought)and so much more ,sorry getting long winded here.
The event had a FB page listing the item up for bid along with a link to a go fund me page if they just wanted to make a donation. With social media the possibility are endless. It all depends how involved she wants to get.

DramaMama
April 6th, 2015, 11:24 PM
Before you set her up for auctions or raffles, etc. you need to check what is legal for her organization to do in the community in which it is located. The State Attorney General for each state has different guidelines for charities and what they can and can't do to raise funds or if a special permit might be needed. It's not something that can be found out on a quilting forum.

(I've worked in the non-profit sector for years.)

thanks for the info; I don't expect legal info from a quilting forum.

However, thought some of the members might have knowledge of interesting ways quilts have been auctioned/sold for charities.

We can then use this info to look into it further or as a springboard/brainstorm for other idea.

Thanks.

kaydee
April 6th, 2015, 11:40 PM
We donate all of ours to organizations which distribute them to their clients.

We have a strict policy against selling any of our quilts in any way. All of our money and/or fabric comes from donations.

Sorry I can't help you.

quiltingaway
April 7th, 2015, 01:06 PM
In my experience auctions can be iffy. It totally depends on the audience and whether thay have knowledge and appreciation of quilts and quilting. A couple groups I have been involved in have had much better luck with raffles. They seem to raise alot more money. Having pictures at the very least but preferably the quilt itself really helps sell tickets too.