PDA

View Full Version : Blown-out egg ornaments

kimsophia
April 5th, 2015, 01:47 PM
I love the looks of these--especially the tiny paper dogwood flowers--and it brought back happy memories of my cousins and I blowing our out eardrums, making those eggs! :D

Anybody remember the melted crayon drip decoration technique? :D

http://www.craftsy.com/blog/2015/04/decorating-easter-eggs/

bubba
April 5th, 2015, 02:26 PM
We would use clear fingernail polish instead of the crayons!! You paint a design, say polkadots, let it dry, dip it and now you have a blue egg with white dots! Add more dots, dip in a different color, red egg with white and blue dots!!! Add more, dip into yellow! Orange egg with white, blue and red dots!

Sandy Navas
April 5th, 2015, 03:38 PM
I'm still laughing about blowing out the eardrums - I remember that feeling so well.

Iris Girl
April 5th, 2015, 03:41 PM
Oh how I remember blowing out eggs we used to use beads and glitter on ours and color a few and then coat them with clear shellac to make them less fragile. Wonder where they went that was 40 plus years ago.

snippet
April 5th, 2015, 09:32 PM
We used to do the eggs too, but we did them with beeswax and dye using some old tools that were used in the Ukraine. The technique is called pysanka - or maybe the eggs are called that - and it was fun. My dad made some really intricate work on the eggs.

But blowing the eggs out was a lot of fun. We'd have a competition on how small a hole you'd need, how fast, etc. Silly kids (and dad)

Deegles
April 5th, 2015, 09:44 PM
I love the looks of these--especially the tiny paper dogwood flowers--and it brought back happy memories of my cousins and I blowing our out eardrums, making those eggs! :D

Anybody remember the melted crayon drip decoration technique? :D

Eggcelent: Decorating Easter Eggs on Craftsy! (http://www.craftsy.com/blog/2015/04/decorating-easter-eggs/)

I remember when I was young to make a Faberge like egg where you would cut an oval out of the blown out egg, then glue beads around the egg oval cutout and then you would make a diorama within the egg with little miniatures. You would place rickrack or something of the like on it to hang. You would go outside and find a pussy-willow branch and bring it inside and hang the eggs on the branch for Easter. Those were the days.

kimsophia
April 5th, 2015, 11:36 PM
I remember the sugar eggs with a diorama inside! I thought they were the most beeyoooootiful things in the world and I would beg Mom for one at Younkers. She always said, "You're going to break it!" and no sooner did I start playing with it when BAM! I'd break it! Oh thank God I didn't have kids....lolol I don't have her patience! :)

bubba
April 6th, 2015, 12:16 AM
I remember the sugar eggs with a diorama inside! I thought they were the most beeyoooootiful things in the world and I would beg Mom for one at Younkers. She always said, "You're going to break it!" and no sooner did I start playing with it when BAM! I'd break it! Oh thank God I didn't have kids....lolol I don't have her patience! :)

Growing up, the mom of one of my friends made those sugar eggs! They were works of art and I wanted one so bad, but I never got one. They are cool tho!

kimsophia
April 6th, 2015, 02:28 AM
I found some cool ideas for egg decorating online:

40 AWESOME Ways to Decorate Easter Eggs | Pin-n-Tell (http://pin-n-tell.com/40-awesome-ways-to-decorate-easter-eggs/)

Judy, USMC
April 6th, 2015, 03:39 AM
Oh - those beautiful Ukrainian eggs ... grandma and mom would make them every year. Took weeks to get them ready. I remember they would exchange them with friends at church after Easter mass. Thanks for the memory snippet!