PDA

View Full Version : Arms or no arms on your sewing chair?

RockinLou
April 5th, 2015, 05:30 AM
DH recently brought home an office chair for my sewing, it has arms on both sides. I feel like I like the right arm for resting my elbow but the left is constantly in the way when I get up for my cutting/ pressing/chocolate ...

Do you have arms on your chair? Why or why not?

rebeccas-sewing
April 5th, 2015, 07:12 AM
No. I specifically requested no arms since I knew they would get in the way. Take a look and see if it can be removed. Depending on the type of chair, that is sometimes an option.

Grandma Nan
April 5th, 2015, 07:19 AM
I have arms on mine but I don't have a strong feeling one way or the other about the arms. I don't find them in the way but I can see that side of the argument. I can move them up and down (not sure if they come off) but not something that I have really paid attention too. Sorry no help.

MayinJerset
April 5th, 2015, 07:36 AM
No arms for me as arms prevent me from getting into the opening of my sewing desk and I can't get as close to my sewing machine as I want to

Suzette
April 5th, 2015, 07:39 AM
I also purposely chose a chair with no arms for my quilting room. I feel they get in my way and serve no purpose for my sewing needs. Now on my office chair at my desk, I love them! :icon_bigsmile:

easyquilts
April 5th, 2015, 08:03 AM
Mine has no arms... But, I didn't choose it,... A neighbor was going to toss it, so I got it... I like it, though, as it gives me freedom of movement... If I were going to get a new office chair for my sewing room, I'd get one with no arms.

marsharini
April 5th, 2015, 09:27 AM
I purchased an office chair with lumbar support (important) and no arms. My husband made a sewing cabinet for me and while I was trying to decide what type of chair I wanted I was using his desk chair with arms - the arms seemed to get in the way.

Alpha O
April 5th, 2015, 09:33 AM
No arms. It's an old secretary's chair from the late 60s/70s. The leather hasn't even ripped. Weighs a ton as it has a huge aluminum base.
I must have bought it over 20 years ago and it still looks the same today.

I tend to sit on one foot at times and arms get in my way. Work offered me a fancy chair once until they saw me turn computer chair around and lean on the back.

DJ_Nichol
April 5th, 2015, 09:35 AM
I am an armless quilter! *giggle*

katier825
April 5th, 2015, 09:41 AM
The most comfortable chair I found also had arms, but we didn't attach them. It's sturdy even without the arms and I really like it.

Carlie Wolf
April 5th, 2015, 09:42 AM
No arms. Can you take the annoying one off?

CarolynK
April 5th, 2015, 09:54 AM
My current chair has arms but it's one we had already and not very expensive. But..I've asked the hubs for a new chair for Christmas and it will probably be one without arms. They don't bother me too much but they do get in the way sometimes.

Iris Girl
April 5th, 2015, 10:02 AM
No arms for me. But my chair came with arms I just never put them on when it was assembled. They get in the way and stop me from getting close enough to the desk or sewing table.

Granny Fran
April 5th, 2015, 10:06 AM
You gave me a chuckle with "getting up for cutting/pressing/chocolate." Seems my brain took out the / / /'s. LOL

I have a chair with arms that I am debating having in my sewing room, but since I have been using an old wooden chair without them, I will probably have DH take them off if I use it for sewing. I'd get confused with the changeover. Hahaha.

Personal preference is what I'd suggest. Many chairs can be with or without arms.

mpattylou
April 5th, 2015, 10:16 AM
Without arms. I bought a used office chair ($20)from a place that sells all kinds of used office furniture (Karz Recycling in New Baden IL). It came with arms on it, but I took them off.

KPH
April 5th, 2015, 10:17 AM
No arms, and it has nothing to do with quilting! My son would come into my sewing room/office and lean back with his feet in the seat of my chair. Propping his legs on the arms of my chair to watch movies on my computer. It ruined the seat fairly quickly and had to be replaced.
My hubby was shocked when I said I wanted NO ARMS this time, since I'd made such a big deal wanting arms the last time. They did help with the weight of the quilt while quilting, but I have no desire to replace chairs every other year.

Katrina

Katrina

tnmtgrl
April 5th, 2015, 10:34 AM
Right now I have one with and one without and I don't really have a preference to either. They both work just fine for me, although the one without is a little small...I ordered it online and was not expecting it to be so small, I put a dining chair pillow in it to sit up higher. What can I say...I am vertically challenged...LOL

lourixe
April 5th, 2015, 11:02 AM
The point is the heigth of the arms. They should be high enough to be of some use -resting your elbow or providing support for quilting, as said above- but not too high so that they are on your way. Before I started quilting, I used to love an old bamboo garden chair for doing crafts indoors and outdoors. The seat is confortable and it is flexible, but the arms are too tall to use it for sitting at the sewing machine. I got an armless office chair to sew at home, and another with low arms for my sewing corner at my in-laws'.

Deegles
April 5th, 2015, 11:03 AM
Arms are put on office chairs for 2 reasons. One is ergonomics. If you think your arms will be at rest using the chair arms keep them. The second reason office chairs have arms is for safety. Sometimes the arms help keep us in the chair when getting up or sitting down. For sewing purposes they probably are not going to be necessary as many have stated. I have a fat but, so the arms get in my way and I bump the arms when getting in and out and it spins the chair so, when I sit down in the chair I am not square. Most office chair arms are removable. I hope this helps.

Pandabear
April 5th, 2015, 11:30 AM
No arms.

1: I kept cracking my elbows on them as I was sewing
2: More than once I caught a leg on the chair arm as I went to get up. It frustrated me.
3: It prevented the puppy from crawling in my lap. Now that he's is a 90 ton behemoth though....yeesh...

Bubby
April 5th, 2015, 12:12 PM
I only use chairs with no arms. I like to stand up from my machine and take one step to the ironing board. Chairs with arms have to be turned to get out of them when you are sitting at the machine. Here's the beast I use....it's an old State chair sold at surplus for $10.....106394 OMG does my sewing space ever need cleaning!

GuitarGramma
April 5th, 2015, 01:10 PM
No arms (or back or cushion). I sew on a short, wooden-seat stool from IKEA. I love it and don't really understand why I do. It may be because I am pretty short and my legs bend at perfect angles, but I can sew for an incredibly long time with that stool despite its very hard seat. Then again, I do have "natural padding"! :icon_whistle:

RockinLou
April 5th, 2015, 02:06 PM
I kind of love the idea of a stool, I'm going to consider that in the states this summer. I think I will remove the arms, it will hopefully also reduce the time my 3 yr old spends playing in the chair!!

I had a feeling this might be one of those things everyone has an opinion about!!

TracyInBoise
April 5th, 2015, 02:56 PM
I totally get your predicament. I'm lucky to have an office chair with arms that flip up and down. 90 percent of the time, right side is down, left side is up. As many here have noted, the arms are removable. You can always remove just the left arm.

Bubby
April 5th, 2015, 03:19 PM
A stool would be nice but I need some back support.

bubba
April 5th, 2015, 06:27 PM
No arms.....they cause me major shoulder and neck problems. Besides that, I think they'd get in the way!

Hulamoon
April 5th, 2015, 07:44 PM
I like arms. I use them to spin the cat around to get off it.

buckeyequilter
April 5th, 2015, 08:22 PM
No arms on mine now. I had one with arms and they were in the way of getting up and down to press and cut.

CraftHer
April 6th, 2015, 12:19 AM
Arms on my desk chair. No arms on my sewing chair. Wheels on both!