PDA

View Full Version : Early Easter Lunch

BobW
April 4th, 2015, 07:39 PM
Some of the Nit-Wits had places to be tomorrow with family, so we decided we would get a jump start on Easter and have lunch today. We had the dinner at my house, we ended up having 10. Some ate indoors and some on the patio.

We had Burgers Smokehouse City Ham (like country ham but sugar cured so not salty), Pulled BBQ Beef, Potato Salad, Cole Slaw, Deviled Eggs, Bourbon Yams, Corn Bread and Roasted Vegetables (green beans, beets, potatoes, corn on the cob, carrots, onions) and for dessert we had angel food cake with strawberries and whipped cream, pecan pie and coconut cream pie. Coffee, Iced Tea (sweet and unsweet), and beer.

We got together about 1pm and every one left a little after 5.

106275 106276
106277 106278
106279 106280
106281 106282

The two lovely ladies with yellow flowers in their hair are Great-grandmother and great-granddaughter. This is the great-granddaughters first trip to Jefferson City. I shamed her grandfather who grew up her that he was in danger of being drummed out of the grandfathers union due to the fact they have been in town for two days and he hasn't introduced her to Central Dairy! They have the best ice cream and banana splits that it takes two or three people to eat.

As you can see from the food we always go hungry when we get together.

Sandy Navas
April 4th, 2015, 07:49 PM
You made bourbon yams and didn't invite me!!

Have I ever shared that I love your Fiestaware?????

Jean Sewing Machine
April 4th, 2015, 07:54 PM
What a spread! I'd drive two hours for those leftovers! Come on, Sandy, jump in the car, meet you at Bob's house to help him clean out the fridge!

K. McEuen
April 4th, 2015, 07:56 PM
I was eye-balling those Fiestaware pitchers too, Sandy. Those roast veggies look good and there were a lot left. People didn't like the healthy stuff?

BobW
April 4th, 2015, 11:09 PM
You made bourbon yams and didn't invite me!!

Have I ever shared that I love your Fiestaware?????

Sandy,

I'm Fiesta poor. I get teased by the Nit-Wits. When we eat at my house we eat on real dishes, they always use paper. I am the only one who has a dishwasher. It is a portable, but in my house I am the only thing that is hand washed. LOL

I have a 24 place setting with many serving pieces. I have one place setting that I don't count in my 24, it is called Tiffany Blue. It was only available for about a year and could only be purchased from Tiffany's in New York City. I bought it a number of years ago on E-bay. I paid $350. for it and I have seen place settings of the Tiffany Blue go for up to $2,500 now. Mine sets in the china cabinet to be appreciated. I haven't even eaten off it.

I have stopped buying place settings and only purchase serving pieces now as I will likely never need to serve 24 at one meal. LOL Although I guess we could have one heck of a quilting dinner here.

Lilly
April 5th, 2015, 12:06 AM
Oh Bob - you're making me so hungry. What a fun group you have. I'm a little envious that you were eating outside!

Bjvarizona
April 5th, 2015, 02:00 AM
What is the definition of nit-wit? Like, who are these folks to you and how did they get their name and do they quilt . . . And stuff, if you don't mind my asking?

kaydee
April 5th, 2015, 02:13 AM
I noticed the Fiestaware right away! Yesterday I finally had Cambria countertops installed. The first thing I noticed after the installers left was that my 35 yo Mikasa was not going to cut it. It only took me a few minutes online to realize I love Fiesta (though I would love it a LOT more if they had a hot pink color). I'm thinking that's what I'll get for new everyday dishes.

So I'm assuming you love it, and would recommend it, etc. etc.?? Does it hold up good to daily use? Does it resist those black marks I see on a lot of today's plates? (My Mikasa never gets those black marks.)

Seriously, though, why no hot pink? Sheesh.

dwil23
April 5th, 2015, 06:09 AM
I love Fiesta too. I get heartsick every time I think about the half pink and half aqua Fiesta my grandmother owned. I remember opening a box in my parents garage years ago and it was in there. When we cleaned it out years later, it was gone. Guess Mom decided to get rid of it - she wasn't much of a saver.

That being said, I only own one piece - a pitcher like Bob has. Mine is deep purple and I "won" it at Bunco a few years ago. I love the colors Bob has.

rebeccas-sewing
April 5th, 2015, 07:10 AM
Yes! Please explain "nitwits." That food looks so delicious.

BobW
April 5th, 2015, 10:03 AM
To answer the question of what a Nit-Wit is:

When I got divorced five years ago in May, I moved into an apartment complex (90 units). I had never lived in an apartment before. I thought I would live here less than six months and buy another house and move. I found out there were people who had lived in this complex for over 40 years in the same apartment.

I soon met a group of neighbors and we clicked. We started having movie nights, carry in dinners at various peoples apartments, going out for meals and even traveling together. The group started out as nine people, only one married couple. I'm the youngest at 53 and the oldest is 86. We come from very different places and careers. The only things we don't discuss is politics and religion. There are a couple of us that have very, very strong opinions and one person who gets upset, so we just avoid the topic.

We were going somewhere and someone said we had to be crazy to be doing what ever we were doing. Well I piped up and said well we are Nit-Wits and it stuck. We have been known even by the other neighbors as the Nit-Wits ever since.

I am such a fortunate person to have found such a fantastic group of friends at such an unexpected time in my life.

Edited to add: And each and everyone of us is a pretty good cook. If anyone ever leaves a Nit-Wit meal hungry, it is their own fault. LOL

CarolynK
April 5th, 2015, 10:30 AM
Bob, that looks like so much fun, good food and great friends. I have the Fiesta ware and I also grew up on it. My mom had the light blue color, but I have the rust color and some yellow. I NEED one of those pitchers!

Shirley
April 5th, 2015, 11:22 AM
Oh yum! Everything looks so good!

Eriepatch
April 5th, 2015, 11:46 AM
You and your Nit-Wits look so happy.
Fiesta ware is so fun! To those that asked...the new Fiesta ware does hold up very well.
I don't have any but some of my friends do.
I do however have 135 pieces of the original Fiesta ware that my MIL bought many many
years ago. Some from the 30's! When she went into Assisted Living she insisted I bring it
to our house. I don't use it but it is displayed in an area in my kitchen cabinets. I love
looking at it.

Bubby
April 5th, 2015, 12:02 PM
The food looked fabulous! I can tell everyone had a great time.

Sonic
April 5th, 2015, 01:33 PM
Oh wow! Everything looks scrumptious!!
Sounds like a great group of neighbors you have there. I live in the country but mine are still loud and obnoxious...wanna trade some of yours??

Bjvarizona
April 6th, 2015, 01:19 AM
Thanks for the peek into your personal life! The food did look great, the dinnerware/pitchers are colorful and you are so lucky to have that group. It's the only part of getting older (gotcha beat by 19 years) that sounds like it might end up good - living more communally. We still have our single family home and while we have great neighbors, they are mostly still raising their families.

stationarymom
April 6th, 2015, 01:43 AM
It looks like everyone had a good time and great company.