PDA

View Full Version : Looking for help from Featherweight owners

Judy, USMC
April 4th, 2015, 02:53 AM
I'm pleased to announce that I have FINALLY joined the club! Paid $250 for one made between 1950-1952. Came with a good case and the attachments and manual. The decal trim is worn off on about 4 inches of the front of the extension. But I got it from a dealer and the price included the usual $80 servicing so I thought it was a reasonable deal. Figured if I got anything from EBay I'd have to pay for servicing anyway plus pay shipping on top of it.

So here are just a couple of questions. Are there any active on-line forums or groups you are familiar with? (Found a couple; one has a $15 per month fee; another has a last post in 2012)

Since it is a later model it has the lined end plate - and I love the look of the scroll plate. Does anyone know if they are interchangeable? And if I could find one what would be a fair price?

Finally, since there seems to be a few Featherweight owners here do you think there would be any interest in starting a Group here at M*?

OK - I admit I'm not sure I got a good deal but I'm thrilled to finally have one none-the-less. :D

BobW
April 4th, 2015, 03:18 AM
Judy,

Congratulations! It sounds like you got a good deal to me. You can buy replacement decals from various vendors. I have seen them online. I don't know if the plate is interchangeable or not. The person I would ask is Bob Kelly (Bernice's/Stitching Woman's husband) He is a member here I think his user name is Sewman.

As for a Featherweight group, I'm sure there would be interest. We have had a play day and in the future Jenny is going to have a Featherweight retreat. So I know there is interest. I think we had 12 or so Featherweights at the Play day in January.

Lightwriter
April 4th, 2015, 03:43 AM
Welcome to the Featherweight world! I am a new convert myself. The best Featherweight group I have found is the Singer Featherweight group on Facebook that Carmon Henry maintains. Carmon and his wife April run April 1930s, an internet store for all things featherweight. This group has a wealth of files and Carmon answers a lot of questions himself. I ordered a couple of items from the site, very fast processing.

I recently acquired a 1934 in great shape (as well as the case.) We are in the process of becoming friends. I have a lot to learn. The scroll faceplate is beautiful. I am pretty sure they are interchangeable because when they first started replacing it with the striated they still had old stock...and just topped the bins with whatever they had...which is why some of the younger ones had scroll plate faceplates.

I think you got a very good deal. I had to go the Ebay route and paid a little more. Mine had also been serviced, so that helped.

I think I have gotten as interested in the history of these as much as the sewing on them. I grew up using a treadle, but had never really heard of the 221 until recently. Have fun with yours! I would be interested in a M* group on Featherweights although I live too far from Missouri to venture out for a play date.

katier825
April 4th, 2015, 10:13 AM
Here is a great resource for all things Featherweight! I recently purchased the LED bulb...great light and it doesn't get as hot.

April 1930's Featherweight Shoppe | featuring the Singer Featherweight 221 & 222K ~ Machines, Attachments, Accessories, Parts, Manuals & More (http://april1930s.com/)

This book is great to have on hand also. Featherweight 221: The Perfect Portable and Its Stitches Across History (http://april1930s.corecommerce.com/Perfect-Portable-Book.html)

geegeequilts
April 4th, 2015, 12:01 PM
Great news! I'm the Mama to featherweight triplets! Prices were $90.00, $100 & $250. Two are black & one is the "light green" or sometimes called "celery". As for a " group" count me in. Would love a featherweight retreat. Sign me up for that as well. Congratulations to you again. You're gonna love her. Have you named her yet?

Gina

Judy, USMC
April 4th, 2015, 12:17 PM
Thanks for the responses! Have to check out the links y'all gave me. I'm also too far for a one day playdate but would seriously consider a retreat.

Grandma Nan
April 4th, 2015, 12:40 PM
oh Judy you will love it. I am currently making a quilt with my Suzy Singer. I have the striated plate on my Featherweight as well but (turning into an addict)when we were in Florida I bought a Singer 127 which looks very similar but a bit bigger and heavier and it has the scrolled plate which is beautiful. I haven't taken it in yet for the service but I don't think it needs much but a new plug.

Also just bought a treadle machine in a cabinet which is going out to be refinished. It is more difficult to fix up as it is one from probably the 20"s from a company called the National Sewing Machine Company and I am having a hard time finding out much information.

I am becoming a collector and still would love to get a hand crank machine.

We are trying to start a Featherweight group here in Kingston but not sure. I would love to be part of something from M* but like Judy it is too far for me to have a play date and I would definitely have to make a decision on what retreat I attended and I do so love the Forum retreat. B U T...... we may drive this year and my DH come with me. If we do my Featherweight is coming with me to Fall Forum Retreat.

Congratulations Judy

sewman
April 4th, 2015, 05:43 PM
the font plates are interchangeable last time looked they may be pricey

there are several featherweight activities now a retreat is coming up but I understand it is filled already. playdates are probably going tocome up from time to time we all had a great time at last one keep looking

stitching woman
April 4th, 2015, 05:44 PM
Yes, Judy the plates are interchangeable. Enjoy your new machine.

Sandy Navas
April 4th, 2015, 08:33 PM
Just curious - are you listening BobK? - since we 'date' our machines using the serial numbers, would it hurt the value of a machine if you switched out the front plates . . . or, as mentioned by Lightwriter above, would it not matter based upon the time of the switch?

Judy, USMC
April 4th, 2015, 09:06 PM
Hey Sandy - I'll be waiting on BobK's answer to that also.

But just wanted to let you know that I don't plan on being a purist and I absolutely LOVE that scroll plate. Using an example: I came into this world wearing absolutely nothing and was issued a hospital bracelet ....... but if a piece of bling (like a diamond tennis bracelet) comes along I'm swapping it out! KWIM? (nudge, nudge; wink wink)

Grandma Nan
April 4th, 2015, 09:39 PM
I understand completely Judy- I'm all about the bling.