PDA

View Full Version : my morning fright....

bubba
April 3rd, 2015, 02:28 PM
For some reason, I woke up early today....okay, it was 0820, but that was early for me, don't judge!! Anyway, Yoda was prancing around wanting out the back door. The sun was shining, the birds were singing, it was gorgeous! I got busy and pretty soon an hour had zipped past. Yoda was still outside!!

I figured he was lying in the sun.....nope. I called him.....NO YODA!!! I raced down the deck steps to find the side gate open! Grandgirls were here yesterday picking up pop cans and apparently did not latch it!

Came racing back in to get out of my pj's and into clothes to go looking when I hear his feet skittering in the gate.....phew! Don't know where he'd been but his legs were soaking wet, as was his face and tummy. So glad he comes when called and was still within hearing distance!

Now it's bath time for him!

Bubby
April 3rd, 2015, 03:09 PM
I know that gave you a real scare. I'm so happy Yoda heard you calling. That's really something to be thankful about.

CarolynK
April 3rd, 2015, 03:12 PM
He must have decided he needed an adventure at your expense. Glad he is ok and hopefully your blood pressure has gone down.

bubba
April 3rd, 2015, 03:17 PM
I'm glad he came too! We live next to a busy street a block down and if he'd gone that way, hard telling how things would have turned out! He just got done with a double shampoo, so hopefully the stink is gone!

dwil23
April 3rd, 2015, 03:41 PM
I am so afraid one of ours will escape when I leave them out. So glad he came back. Our senior dachshund was good at that and she wouldn't come back. If she heard us calling she would run away. So stubborn. I hate to see her getting older and she has gone blind, but at least she is no longer a "wandering weenie". But, then, since we moved, she hasn't figured out how to escape. Knock on wood.

quiltsRfun
April 3rd, 2015, 03:41 PM
What a relief! My little girl would have been long gone. She loves to wander.

Sandy Navas
April 3rd, 2015, 04:06 PM
They have a way of putting your heart right up there in the middle of your throat. So glad he's okay and home safe.

bubba
April 3rd, 2015, 04:08 PM
Every once and again, Oscar would escape. No clue how he did it. He would go out the back gate, walk up the sidewalk, in thru the front gate, up onto the porch and bark!

Now Cooper, the cairn, was a different story. When he got out, he'd come home when he was good and ready! I remember one night following him thru yards carrying a flashlight. I even pretended I was hurt and fell to the ground with a leash in hand. I had used that trick in the past, and he obviously had caught onto it! Another time at the lake, I was carrying him to the kennel when a stray cat walked past. Well, Cooper leaped from my arms and the chase was on! I could hear him crashing thru the brush and he would not come back. I figured he was gone for good! About three hours later, there he was out on the deck! I went to let him in, he saw me (I probably looked mad!) and he ran off again! He was gone a couple more hours.

Now, I was not going to be out tricked by a dog, so I opened the gate on the deck (it's there to keep the grandkids contained when they were small since we are right on the water) and opened a nearby window. The grand plan was to watch and when he came onto the deck, I'd reach thru the window and push the gate shut. This worked fine until I slipped on the couch I was kneeling on while my arm was out the window and got stuck like that!!! My fingers were in the gate, my arm was at an odd angle out the window and I was half hanging on the couch!

This was not a good thing since I was there by myself and MM was not going to be there till the next morning! Finally, 15 minutes later, I was free with a big bruise on my arm! If Cooper thought the look on my face looked mad the first time, I'm sure he saw what madness really looked like this time around.

Now I have to go find some allergy pills. I'm having an allergic reaction to the dog shampoo :(

Gina
April 3rd, 2015, 05:59 PM
Whew, glad he came back quickly! I have had the same scare this week. Went to call chief and Bo in and saw the gate open. I think my heart skipped a few beats! Luckily they had not noticed it was open and came running from the other end of the house! Bo wouldn't go far but chief, he would be in the next county in a few minutes. Chief was definitly born and breed to hunt vermin! Nose to the ground and he is gone.

Simply Quilting
April 3rd, 2015, 07:27 PM
I'm glad that he came back safely.

Sylvia H
April 3rd, 2015, 07:50 PM
Glad he came back when called. A good recall is the best thing we can teach our dogs, and I admit that my dog doesn't have that. He loves to track, and will follow a scent to its end if he is allowed to do so. If he does get loose, and I can see him, my trick is to call his name and run in the OPPOSITE direction. He thinks it is a game of chase, and will run after me. When I stop, he keeps on running, and I can get him when he 'catches' me.

bubba
April 3rd, 2015, 07:54 PM
I think his favorite part of his grand adventure was the bath with the double shampoo. He was mmmmmmmmming the entire time he was being massaged!

irishrn
April 4th, 2015, 10:35 AM
Escaping dogs have always been my biggest worry! So glad you got your puppy back safely!
Around here there are so many lost dogs that it's scary for their safety!

Genny
April 4th, 2015, 11:28 AM
So glad Yoda come back home safe and sound (I would have been sick with worry). You know...if he could talk...he would probably tell you he was out enjoying the Spring Flowers that's starting to bloom!