PDA

View Full Version : I have a comission!

lourixe
April 1st, 2015, 03:22 PM
And it includes this pattern:

My 4 y.o. niece wanted to play with her crayons but we had run out of spare paper to paint on, so I offered her the notebook I always carry along. I explained to her I used it to design quilts and practice FMQ patterns, and therefore she said she was designing a quilt I should sew for her. She insisted it should have black polka dots (you can see them on the drawing). I think I just got a good excuse to go fabric shopping!

Sonic
April 1st, 2015, 03:51 PM
Looking forward to the finished quilt very much! You know...between her and Amy's little one, you guys are shaping the next generation of quilters here. No pressure or anything...

Sylvia H
April 1st, 2015, 03:54 PM
Abso-lu-tutely! I expect the payment may be below the dollar value of the quilt. However, to get established as a commissioned quilter, you may have to take the reduction in payment. I am sure it will be easily compensated in hugs, kisses, and "I love you's".

bubba
April 1st, 2015, 03:56 PM
How adorable!! When Tyler was that age, he started carrying around a 'handy dandy notebook' (he watched Blues Clues) to write his ideas down in. Kids are fantastic at that age!

Hulamoon
April 1st, 2015, 03:58 PM
How cute! I was thinking of doing some little art quilts (like Cyndis) out of some saved drawings.

Amy R
April 1st, 2015, 04:26 PM
That is adorable! If Sofia and my Sophie got together they may be the new design divas of the quilting world by the time they grew up!!!

Carrie J
April 1st, 2015, 08:55 PM
Not only sweet and adorable, but I got quite the chuckle out of this Lourixe! Kids, love how their minds work! Can't wait to see how you interpret the design , looking forward to it, as I'm sure you're looking forward to the payment in Hugs and Kisses, :D!! That one little work of art, may very well be a budding quilter!

easyquilts
April 1st, 2015, 10:19 PM
Oh yes... Don 'to forget to show us the finished quilt, along with its small owner! Great story...

lourixe
April 2nd, 2015, 05:27 PM
Thinking about it, rather than sewing it myself, wouldn't it be more fun having her cutting fabric and putting it together with me?
Of course, she is not old enough to use a rotary cutter nor a sewing machine. But she loves cutting into magazines with her little round-pointed scissors and glueing the colored scraps on white paper.
I have never used fusible batting but know of a LQS that carries it. Would it be possible to have the kid cutting scraps from some fabrics and laying them upon the batting so as to cover the whole surface (let's say a 20" x20" piece for a doll quilt), and then iron it? I could afterwards sew random lines with fancy stitches, like for a crazy quilt-as-you-go project. Even if the pieces' edges fray a little, it would add to the charm of the project. What do you think?
Maybe I'm going to need a lot of starch on the fabrics so they are stiffer for her to be able to do cleaner cuts.

Sandy Navas
April 2nd, 2015, 05:38 PM
You have to let her help you. Let her shop your stash!!

DramaMama
April 2nd, 2015, 07:21 PM
Priceless! Do keep that little drawing tucked away in a memory album with the picture of the finished quilt. So sweet.

SallyO'Sews
April 2nd, 2015, 09:33 PM
Love it!!!!

Carrie J
April 2nd, 2015, 11:31 PM
Thinking about it, rather than sewing it myself, wouldn't it be more fun having her cutting fabric and putting it together with me?
Of course, she is not old enough to use a rotary cutter nor a sewing machine. But she loves cutting into magazines with her little round-pointed scissors and glueing the colored scraps on white paper.
I have never used fusible batting but know of a LQS that carries it. Would it be possible to have the kid cutting scraps from some fabrics and laying them upon the batting so as to cover the whole surface (let's say a 20" x20" piece for a doll quilt), and then iron it? I could afterwards sew random lines with fancy stitches, like for a crazy quilt-as-you-go project. Even if the pieces' edges fray a little, it would add to the charm of the project. What do you think?
Maybe I'm going to need a lot of starch on the fabrics so they are stiffer for her to be able to do cleaner cuts.

Lourixe, perhaps a lightweight Pellon iron on , and you do the ironing? That would stabilize it for stitching, and wouldn't be so stiff after a wash. Would be very similar to her gluing process.................