PDA

View Full Version : Early Bird Night Owl on April 1

MayinJerset
April 1st, 2015, 01:54 AM
Had a long day and fell into a deep sleep around 9 so now I'm fully awake at 12:45 and wondering what to do. I need to put finishing touches on a wall hanging and pull out fabrics for a QOV quilt but I fear my middle of the night judgments aren't very good so I'll have to find something else to do.

There's always that big stack of mail to go although it's mostly junk mail or mail begging for donations. Seems as if I've received a 100 donation request since the new year. If I sent each donation request $10 I wouldn't be able to pay my bills or buy food for DH and I. Am getting a collection of mini pads and little pens that are useless as well as hundreds of return address labels. Only type of mail I like is M* mail with lots of quilty goodies inside.

bubba
April 1st, 2015, 02:09 AM
I hate junk mail!!! I used to take it out of the envelope it came in, making sure my name was not on anything, stuff the postage paid envelope they enclosed with their junk and mail it right back!!! I know it didn't make a difference to them, but it made me feel good in a strange way.

My youngest texted me today (after I asked for a two week warning!) and said the baby shower she is invited to is this Saturday and do I have time to make a complicated bag?!?!? I couldn't even respond....we'll see what happens tomorrow.

Quiltfreestyle
April 1st, 2015, 02:24 AM
I used to get tons of junk mail asking for donations. I found out that if you give just a little money, like $10 or $15 a lot of places sell your name.. If you give a larger amount then they keep your address for themselves.
DH & I decided to only give to certain charities that we really believed in & stop sending those small $10 checks we used to send to everyone who sent us a request.
We get a lot less junk mail now, most of it addressed to "occupant" or "resident". DH is "occupant" & I am "resident". Lol

RiverMomm
April 1st, 2015, 02:34 AM
All I did was close my eyes for 20 minutes this afternoon and here I am . . . hooting with the owls. sigh.

I finished my latest quilt and it's sitting here waiting for me to take a picture. Nighttime photos always go wonky with the colors so I will wait. This quilt had me worried because it is red and white and my quilting gloves became red on the fingertips. But no bleeding at all -even the color catchers were pretty clean.

I want to start a new quilt but like you, May, I don't trust that my owl time fabric judgement will hold up to the light of day.

toggpine
April 1st, 2015, 03:13 AM
Pat, I have some Double Duty Diaper bags made if you get in a bind. I can find the photo and up load it, or you can check out Sew Baby and see the basic pattern there, although I made some modifications to improve the finished product from the original pattern.
It's soft-sided, reversible, and 100% washable. Let me know.

I managed to get a few things cut out today. Hopefully I can get them sewn tomorrow since they are gifts for Hubby! Nothing fancy, but things he wanted or asked for.
I have a lady coming over tomorrow afternoon to have her baby goats disbudded. (Similar to branding the horn buds to kill the cell growth so they don't develop horns.) Not my favorite task, but after seeing some of the failed attempts by some of these folks, it's better if I do it. It's usually less than 5 minutes from start to finish, including the re-heat time on the disbudding tool. With 6 of them to do, that will pay for our dinner out tomorrow to celebrate Eric's B-day.

I'm going to head for the nest since I'm not so sure I should be trusted with scissors or a rotary cutter at this point. I need to finish cutting a few bits before sewing can commence. (I also hate picking stitches out of fleece, therefore no Night Owl sewing tonight either.)
Sweet Dreams friends! C

Quiltfreestyle
April 1st, 2015, 03:20 AM
So Cathy, more questions about your animals,,, does the disbudding hurt the goats?? I had a mental flash of one of them kicking you hard cuz it hurt,,, I hope not!!!

bubba
April 1st, 2015, 03:21 AM
Thanks Cathy....the problem is she picked out and bought the fabric and just gave it to me the other day. I've been working on other things and was told the shower was the end of April. Uh, April 4th is not the end and she swears she was just told today it was this coming Saturday!

Originally, it was going to be a Professional Tote, which I could easily do tomorrow. But then she switched up to a Swoon pattern, I think it's Vivian, in the large size and I'll have to make piping again and who knows what else. I have not made that pattern before and don't know how long it might take me to complete. Guess I'll find out!

kimsophia
April 1st, 2015, 04:23 AM
Whee! April Fool's Day! Not that I have any joke for the occasion... Anybody had any fun ones over the years? :)

Mom23
April 1st, 2015, 11:55 AM
I started using this site:

https://www.catalogchoice.org/

and have gotten rid of almost all of the junk mail I once received. It is a free service but you will have to get a login and password. I feel like I am doing my part to help the landfill as our trash has dwindled down to very little.

bubba
April 1st, 2015, 01:17 PM
Whee! April Fool's Day! Not that I have any joke for the occasion... Anybody had any fun ones over the years? :)

I have gotten MM twice. One was when I had a man I worked with call him and pretend he was from the IRS. That had him going for a couple hours.

However, the best one was the year we got new 21" monitors at work. I asked for one of the empty boxes. When I pulled into the garage, MM was in there puttering around. I got out and greeted him and proceeded to tell him about the new monitors. I then went on to tell him that they had ordered way too many so they held a lottery drawing and if you got called, you were able to buy two of them for $100 each! They were worth several hundred dollars at the time. I said that a gal I worked with really wanted some too but did not get called, so I let her have one of mine. MM (did I mention he is a computer guru/freak?) was a bit disappointed but still happy to get one.

As I went to walk around my car, he asked when we would get it and I said I already had it and it was in the car. I opened the back hatch and went to pick it up and he came racing over as fast as his little legs could move him screeching 'I'll get it!!!! I don't want you to drop it!' Well, by now it was in my hands (yes, I had an empty box!) and pretended it was heavy and I was going to drop it. He quickly grabbed it out of my hands, and in the process, nearly took his nose off with the empty box. The look of puzzlement on his face was priceless!! I then said 'Ha ha April Fools!'. Well, he did not think it was as funny as I did and proceeded to chase me about four laps around the cars trying to catch me.

I still giggle about it.

toggpine
April 1st, 2015, 01:31 PM
Sadly, disbudding does hurt them while I do it. Although it hurts less than having a full grown set of horns removed, or having a herd-mate hook you in the abdomen, udder, or eye. It's also not lethal, unlike getting caught in the fence because something looked tasty on the other side and then your horns got all tangled when you tried to pull your head back in. That's also happened in a hay feeder.
I do it at about a week to two weeks old depending on the breed and horn growth. I want to be able to feel where the horns are going to be, but not have them broken through the skin. (They feel kind of like your knuckle under your skin when you make a light fist.) If they are done at this stage, the total time the disbudding iron is applied is about 30 seconds in short durations. It takes longer to re-heat the iron than it does to disbud. The iron looks a lot like a soldering iron with a donut tip about the diameter of a nickel.
I have sent some people to the veterinarian because they waited too long, and the kid was going to need anesthesia to get the job done. After a $200 vet bill, they usually bring them to me on time in the future.
After the dreaded deed a bottle of Milk of Amnesia and a cuddle is all it takes to make them love you again. In a few weeks the scab will fall off and that is it. In the photo you can see the circle spots on her head where her horns would have grown. As you can see, it doesn't slow them down.

kimsophia
April 2nd, 2015, 07:35 AM
Ha! Those are funny! My DH is a computer nerd too...too bad I didn't arrange a "delivery" of a "package of computer toys"...lol