PDA

View Full Version : Who knew.....

bubba
March 31st, 2015, 02:24 PM
quilting is a suspicious activity???

Cops Raid Elderly Couple Looking For A Meth Lab and Guns- Find Only Quilting Supplies | The Free Thought Project (http://thefreethoughtproject.com/cops-raid-elderly-couple-meth-lab-guns-find-quilting-supplies/)

MomGram
March 31st, 2015, 02:32 PM
Wow, that is rediculous.

Granny Fran
March 31st, 2015, 02:38 PM
This kind of madness makes all of us in the USA look like a bunch of idiots.....not that there aren't any. But really?

Mom23
March 31st, 2015, 02:41 PM
I am speechless. I feel horrible for the couple, and the police department should be ashamed of themselves and at least offer an apology.

K. McEuen
March 31st, 2015, 02:42 PM
Reminds me of the time the cops showed up at my sister's house to search for illegal drugs. It was during her "reptile" phase. She tried to warn them ...

Soon, a blood-curdling scream, worthy of any little girl, was heard and out ran a sheriff's deputy with Jose, the tokay gecko, firmly attached to the end of his finger. Jose had free roam of the house. He was the exterminator, ate any and all bugs and liked to sleep under the couch during the day. Said deputy stuck his hand under the couch and right into Jose's bedroom (and waiting mouth).

Drugs weren't found. Seems one of their "friends" who was mad at them over something called in a report as a payback. The cops weren't to blame for the mistake in this case, but maybe checking out who makes a report would be smart too.

Lori63
March 31st, 2015, 02:46 PM
Oh my, that is scary!

bubba
March 31st, 2015, 02:58 PM
The police of that town should definitely offer them an apology!! I, even working in law enforcement as long as I did, was dumfounded!

pcbatiks
March 31st, 2015, 03:03 PM
Good grief........who knew quilting could be considered risky behavior! The couple deserves an apology from everyone involved.

SuzyQue
March 31st, 2015, 03:19 PM
I have thought about issues like this when I have used the term "stash" in public. I try to quickly follow up with fabric stash or quilting materials, etc so there will be no misunderstanding, but you never know!

quiltsRfun
March 31st, 2015, 03:24 PM
I'll be a little nervous the next time I drop off a quilt at the LAQ.

Quiltfreestyle
March 31st, 2015, 03:52 PM
Good gracious, was this the Keystone Cops on the job or what?!?!
They are definitely owed an apology if not something more for this egregiuos error...

WendyI
March 31st, 2015, 04:50 PM
Yikes!! That's crazy!

CarolynK
March 31st, 2015, 04:54 PM
For crying out loud. Seriously?!?!?!?! Whatever happened to "ask questions first" and not even a stinking apology.

Carrie J
March 31st, 2015, 05:12 PM
I'd like to say "unbelievable", however there seem to be more and more incidences such as this. It speaks loudly of incompetence on the investigative officers part (department), not to mention the upper echelons themselves. I am not a fan of belligerence, nor lack of professionalism from the services provided by we the taxpayers. Granted, law enforcement has taken a hard hit of late, but a sincere apology would have gone a verrrry long was in repairing this police departments callous, uninformed, and strong arming attitude. As far as being afraid of saying anything regarding such deplorable behavior, not to mention lack of obvious competence from a Civil Servant or that agency....... It is still America, the last time I checked, and I'd be having an attorney in tow, and demand a meeting with the Chief of Police and any and all that made such a stupid uninformed decision to do this. It casts a very poor light on any law enforcement agency, and they really don't need that in these current times. Even the adjective "idiots" is too kind in this case. Sounds like this,particular garden needs a serious weeding.

yoyoing
March 31st, 2015, 05:26 PM
What ever happned to undercover police one should have went to see. maybe this whole thing could have been settled right then and there. It made me cry and hurt my heart to the bone when she said she throught they were going to tell her he was dead. and poor baby dog was so frightened she stayed in her bed. I bet her daughter was mad as H---- about this i AM SO GLAD THEY DID NOT TEAR UP HER STUFF she said they got mud on her floor they should have been made to clean it up.

Sandy Navas
March 31st, 2015, 07:42 PM
There was a case in Kansas City a couple years ago - the husband had purchased some hydroponic equipment. The intent? To teach their children how plants grew. Here come the police, break into the home and do a search. Of course, nothing found. I haven't checked into the results of the law suit recently, but listen to this. The home owners were attorneys.

Leawood family seeks $7 million for SWAT-style raid - KCTV5 (http://www.kctv5.com/story/23951053/leawood-family-seeks-7-million-for-swat-style)

Simply Quilting
March 31st, 2015, 08:44 PM
It is just crazy. What gets me is how much and how the surveillance was done.

CraftHer
April 1st, 2015, 12:27 AM
I'm speechless

stationarymom
April 1st, 2015, 02:20 AM
The police should be giving that couple a public apology,what they did to them could have scared them to death.

kaydee
April 1st, 2015, 03:40 AM
Things that you go "hmmmmm". This is one such thing.

I hate articles like this because they are always so one-sided and so incomplete. I'm always reminded of Paul Harvey whenever I read stuff like this. .

I'm left with a couple of questions. First and foremost, how did the cops get turned on to this house in the first place? Also, are these people violating zoning ordinances by operating a quilting store out of their home (you can see bolts of fabric behind them)? What did the application for the search warrant list as the grounds for probable cause?

Anyhow, I have a sneaky suspicion the answers to all those questions are related. I'd bet that a very annoyed neighbor got sick and tired of the constant store-like traffic in an otherwise quiet neighborhood, decided to take action by reporting (anonymously) what they described as suspicious drug-like activity, the cops followed up by "watching" the house, then took the observations and the neighborhood complaints to a judge to get a search warrant.

While this may sound outrageous at first glance, perhaps it's not really that bad. Assuming someone did actually make a complaint, and the cops did observe an unusual amount of traffic in a home not licensed for any business, what should they have done? What if someone living in the home had a history of drug dealing?

And what if they were actually selling drugs? Their age is no guarantee they weren't selling drugs. They could have been selling drugs, or other residents of the home could have been selling drugs. I'd like to know what the criminal history is of everyone attached to the home before I decided whether the search warrant was unreasonable.

At the very least, learn a lesson and don't tick off your neighbors by violating zoning ordinances and running a business out of your home. Also, let's hope this private little business was keeping tidy records with the IRS or they're going to have even more problems.

bubba
April 1st, 2015, 03:54 AM
I know for a fact that the police here have to make three documented 'buys' before they can even apply to get a search warrant. Weeks, if not months go by while they do their investigation and build their case. If this really happened as this article reports, then clearly someone was not doing their job. You can't get a search warrant for drugs without some sort of evidence to warrant one being granted. Be it the police, the judge, who knows.

It's hard to imagine heavy foot traffic coming and going to their house either. How many quilts can a person longarm quilt in a month?

kaydee
April 1st, 2015, 03:59 AM
Bubba, from the amount of fabric in the background of one of the pics, it looks like they were selling fabric out of their home.

I don't think the cops here have to make three buys. There have been cases here where they raid the wrong house -- like had the wrong address. Guns blazing. Scary stuff.

bubba
April 1st, 2015, 01:32 PM
I'm seeing no pictures other than the one of the two of them at the end of the article.

yoyoing
April 1st, 2015, 02:07 PM
I seen she has a online wed store sew be it i read on another forum

kaydee
April 1st, 2015, 03:24 PM
Here is a pic.

kaydee
April 1st, 2015, 03:41 PM
She's listed as a carrying Marcus Fabrics.
NY, Store Directory, Marcus Fabrics (http://www.marcusfabrics.com/cgi-bin/fabricgallery/directory.cgi?page=2&st=ny&dir=1#.VRw56_nF-So)

Here is her website:
Sew It Is (http://www.sewitis.com/)

She describes her business in one location as follows: " I carry first quality quilt fabrics, all at discount prices including Kansas Troubles, Bali batiks, Wide backings and wide variety of Charm Square Packs,Quilt Patterns and books . I am also a Professional Longarmer using a Gammill /Statler Longarm machine."

Yup. I'm going with the ticked off neighbor theory. :)

bubba
April 1st, 2015, 03:59 PM
Well, hahahaha, maybe she will get some more foot traffic out of this!!!

kaydee
April 1st, 2015, 04:15 PM
If she's violating zoning ordinances, she's probably going to get shut down unless she can get a variance. :(

Also, back to the cop's actions, I wonder whether there are guns registered to that address. If so, that would explain why they picked the husband up away from the home.

Again, I'm just saying let's not condemn the cops. The author of that article left out an incredible amount of info.