PDA

View Full Version : Low Volume

Heather
March 31st, 2015, 12:03 PM
M* guys and gals, would you consider adding a "low volume" category to the "Shop By Style" section? Tone on tone is as close as I can find now, it's just not quite what I was looking for though.

BillNye
March 31st, 2015, 12:38 PM
What does low volume mean? Just like a fabric that doesn't have a lot of activity on it?

Heather
March 31st, 2015, 05:15 PM
Low volume fabrics are those that read like white or nearly white, but that actually have a print, colors, even black. They could be tone on tone but often the other color isn't a darker version of the background color, if that makes sense. They are used predominantly in modern quilts but there is no reason they can't be used in traditional quilts either. It's a great way to use something other than white in quilts. If ModBlock is going to be a regular thing I think you could do some fabulous tutorials, bundles and quilt kits in conjunction with the magazine. If I can find the blog link I'm thinking of I'll post it, the author defines it much better than I.

K. McEuen
March 31st, 2015, 05:33 PM
What does low volume mean? Just like a fabric that doesn't have a lot of activity on it?

Alan, it's not fabric that you only have one or two yards left of. (that's what the term always makes me think of)

BobW
April 1st, 2015, 12:28 AM
I thought maybe it was fabric you bought knowing it was so ugly no one would buy or want it, so it would be a "Low-volume" sales item. LOL

K. McEuen
April 1st, 2015, 12:51 AM

From a Craftsy page ( Soft Backgrounds with Style: Quilting with Low Volume Fabrics (http://www.craftsy.com/blog/2013/06/low-volume-fabrics/) )

"A Low Volume fabric can best be defined as a fabric which shows up as a light solid (or nearly solid) in a black and white photograph. These fabrics can vary from the lightest tone on tone fabrics, to text fabrics printed on a light background, to light floral fabrics. Fabrics classified as Low Volume come in a variety of colors from white to cream to beige to grey. Quilting with Low Volume fabrics isn’t something new—quilts using these types of fabrics for backgrounds can be seen in nearly every era of American quilt making; however, the use of these fabrics is definitely something that is currently trending with today’s modern quilter."

Moda actually has some Low Volume lines - Low Volume and Low Volume 2 and a few others.

mpattylou
April 1st, 2015, 08:16 PM
Well I learned something new today. Had never heard of "low volume" fabric.

quiltsRfun
April 1st, 2015, 10:29 PM
They're what Bonnie Hunter refers to as neutrals.

Heather
April 2nd, 2015, 04:52 PM
What Karen posted - and here's the blog link I was thinking of that offers an explanation, and photos, too.

Red Pepper Quilts: Color Wheel Block Quilt II - A Variation (http://www.redpepperquilts.com/2015/03/color-wheel-block-quilt-ii-variation.html)

JCY
April 2nd, 2015, 10:01 PM
Well, ya learn somethin' new every day here. I never heard of "low volume" with regards to fabric.

Granny Fran
April 3rd, 2015, 01:06 PM
When I heard it, I thought low value?

Angelia
April 4th, 2015, 01:16 AM
I think of low volume fabric as the opposite of "loud" fabric. My grandmother used to comment on "loud" colors and prints.

snippet
April 4th, 2015, 02:46 AM
I'm making a low volume quilt. It's all sand colors. I hope it turns out ok.

Shirley
April 5th, 2015, 11:30 AM
When I think of low volume, I think of light colors. I love low volume quilts.

Snip Snip
April 6th, 2015, 11:05 PM
I was looking at a quilt on the net which was described as "low volume" prints. Had a lot of white background, fairly sparse prints. Some of the colors were bright, but just not a lot per square foot, and not many colors. Overall effect was airy and feminine.