• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MayinJerset
    Missouri Star
    • May 2012

Dressed up Night Owl with no place to go

owl lady.jpg After a grey damp morning it brightened up and felt so Spring like I just had to dress up in my new Easter outfit. Hope a few more night owls stop by so I can show it off.

Do you still get a new Easter or Spring outfit like you did when you were a kid? Remember when we had Sunday clothes just for church or special occasions?
  • kimsophia
    Missouri Star
    • Oct 2014

Re: Dressed up Night Owl with no place to go

Hi May! It's so funny how you and I post simultaneously! I remember getting an Easter dress and even gloves and a little white wicker purse once. Mom or Grandma put a handkerchief and some coins for the church offering plate in it. I don't get anything these days. I did get a sewing machine, though

We got up to 71 degrees here! Whoo hoo! I toddled around the yard, picking up garbage that blew in this winter. Looks like my first daffodil will open today. I got a pretty new vase with a daffodil design in the clear glass.

I'll be taking DH in to his colonoscopy at 7:15. He was drinking one cup of that yukky Golytely every ten minutes when I went to bed around 3 in the afternoon.

I hope everyone is having a good night! Hooooooot! @,@

Comment

• dlsnaples
      Quilting Guru
      • Apr 2011

Your owl is adorable!
      Yes, we did have separate clothes for church, school and play. We were forbidden to play in anything but play clothes!
      Easter meant a special dress with a hat to match, and usually new patent leather shoes.Granted we had almost always outgrown the shoes we had in the fall.
      Now, church clothes are just nice clothes. But some years, if the budget allows, I will get a new dress for Easter. Usually it is just the kids though. They have usually outgrown everything and need another set of dress clothes.

How about you? Do you have a special something for Easter?

Comment

• auntiemern
        Missouri Star
        • Mar 2012

Oh how I loved Easter. We didn't have a lot, but we all got new dresses and shoes for Easter. This year I will be in the hospital with Gabe on Easter, so thinkin' it is gonna be pretty casual. We are still going to try something special for him while he is in there. Pretty sure the hospital does something too. My youngest GD is very excited about Easter this year. Since we will be in the hospital, and they are on spring break, she is going to her other grand parents for the week end. She told her mom she was gonna get 3 baskets...maybe even 4. One at home, one at Grandma Tammy's, one from Granny and Pa (us) and maybe one from her dad. She would be happy if hers consisted of pickles, pickled beets, pickled okra and of course crab legs. With just a little chocolate thrown in. I wish I could have gotten a pic of her at her b'day dinner (Red Lobster) The ultimate feast is what she got. When she took that first bite of her lobster tail, she was in heaven. The look on her face was priceless. She closed her eyes and had a look of pure contentment.
        Well enough of that...off to go to bed. I have to take DD and Gabe to his pre surgery neurosurgery appointment.
        Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
        sigpic

Comment

• bubba
          Missouri Star
          • Mar 2013

No for the outfits. Growing up, being the middle of five girls, it was always hand me downs. They usually made it thru me and the fourth girl, but the youngest always got new.

Don't get me wrong, underwear and shoes, you always got new. A pair of school shoes and tennis shoes in the fall, and at Easter we got a new pair of Easter shoes. Our clothes came from a wide circle of friends, and sometimes my mom would make us things. Once I learned to sew and started working, I made my own clothes and bought what I couldn't.

When we got married and had kids, I continued to make my clothes, and sometimes MM's, and I made the girls all their clothes...underwear, swimsuits, dresses, etc.

Today, after purchasing a new fridge, I went to the Apple store because I have been having problems with my new iPad. They were busy, so I had to go back later tonight, after making an appointment. Well, poor Shane, the worker helping me was clearly befuddled with my problem. Neither he, or the expert, could figure it out, so they gave me a brand new iPad. I had only had the other since the 19th!

We got it all set up and tried to see if my problem was fixed, and the new one did the same thing! Now Shane was really befuddled! He went in back again and presented it to another expert. This one figured out what was wrong and all is now well. I told him to just give me back my old iPad and he said it was already gone.

This was when I learned, after I asked if they troubleshoot, fix and refurbish them, that they actually do figure out what is wrong with them (at the factory in Cupertino), and then they are melted down and recycled. Apple does not refurbish. It's too bad that a perfectly good iPad is going to the recycling factory, but nothing could be done to stop it.

Alex will be happy again that she can facetime with Grandma come morning!
          pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

• MayinJerset
            Missouri Star
            • May 2012

No new Easter outfit for me this year, if it's warm I'll wear an old navy blazer with a bright floral scarf and if it's cold I'll probably wear my Christmas outfit of black pants and shell with a blue and black sweater jacket. Hope the Easter bunny stops by with a few chocolate eggs and jelly beans.

I was the oldest in our family so my clothes were handed down to my sister Louise. I did get a few hand me downs from my older cousin Ann, my first bra was one of hers.

Comment

• stationarymom
              Missouri Star
              • Jun 2013

May I love your Easter outfit.We used to get a new Easter outfit every year it included a new dress with matching coat,hat ,new shoes and to finish off the look we also has white gloves.We didn't always go any where for the day but my mom still had us all dressed up.Today it's almost sad to see what some people call acceptable for clothing ,especially for occasions.We might get snow here on Easter day I hope not because I remember all the Easter dresses having short or no sleeves.
              :icon_wave:Joan

Comment

• kensington
                Missouri Star
                • Jul 2012

When I was a kid, it was a new dress, new slip or petticoat, new undies, new hat, new shoes, new gloves for Easter. It was always special. In the afternoon we always went to granny's for a picnic.

I did it with my kids. My girls got it all, my boys got the shirts, jackets, ties, shoes, belts... Church on Easter Sunday and then a big dinner.

Now, my grandkids all get new everything and they come here for a picnic. LOL... the tradition carries on.

Comment

• toggpine
                  Missouri Star
                  • Aug 2009

I started a Night Owl thread too, but didn't post because the milk was ready to take down to the barn. When I came back up there were two!

Em has an Easter dress that she absolutely loves. This will be the third year for it if she can still fit. It was a bit big when we bought it, but the next size down was too tight. She will wear them around the house as dress-up clothes on occasion. I put a t-shirt or long sleeve shirt under the sleeveless ones. Around here there is more likely to be rain than sun on Easter.
                  This year, I'm getting some new bras. WhooHoo! Go Easter bunny!
                  Be who you are and say what you feel
                  because those who mind don't matter,
                  and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

• kimsophia
                    Missouri Star
                    • Oct 2014

Originally posted by toggpine View Post
                    This year, I'm getting some new bras. WhooHoo! Go Easter bunny!
                    lol...what the heck? If I knew the Easter bunny was giving out practical stuff I would have asked for new socks! lol

Comment

• Iris Girl
                      Missouri Star
                      • Jan 2013

I can remember when I was young. Things were tight as it was only me and Mom. But she would make sure I had a new Easter dress and shoes and usually spring coat. We were not church goers so it was just new spring clothes.Also remember my Aunt taking me to church when I was little and standing on the steps gossiping about what everyone was wearing etc. Kinda turned me right of church. Like Mom always told me you don't have to go to church to believe. But oh how I loved my new Easter dresses. I remember 2 inparticular One was a sheer greenish blue floral over white so pretty the other was yellow shift with white vinyls 3D daisys sprinkled on it. One year I got my first Cape!
                      sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
                      Time spent with cats is never wasted.
                      Sigmund Freud

Comment

• kimsophia
                        Missouri Star
                        • Oct 2014

One thing that makes me smile is when a little girl wears a red velvet dress. I can't remember if I ever got one but they were a BIG DEAL.

Comment

• MayinJerset
                          Missouri Star
                          • May 2012

Originally posted by kimsophia View Post
                          One thing that makes me smile is when a little girl wears a red velvet dress. I can't remember if I ever got one but they were a BIG DEAL.
                          OH, to have a dark green velvet dress was a childhood dream of mine! Never happened but once I did get a coat with a green velvet collar.

Last edited by MayinJerset; March 31, 2015, 06:08 AM.

Comment

• irishrn
                            Missouri Star
                            • Aug 2010

There were 6 of us growing up. 3 boys and 3 girls. My mother ordered from Montgomery ward catalogue. We all piled into the station wagon for our easter shoe trip. That was usually mayhem! Getting all of us to have shoes fitted made the sales clerk crazy!
                            But everything else came in boxes. The girls outfits were alike but in different colors. The boys were also similar. So easter morning was like a parade. We took up one pew at the church! Parents at each end to keep the peace! Then back home, pictures taken in front of the house, then in to change out of our outfits, easter breakfast and then out to play.
                            Same ritual in the fall for shoes except we all wore school uniforms so the outfits were all the same!!!
                            sigpicMy friends hear the song in my heart, and sing it to me when my memory fails. 

Eileen

Comment

• MayinJerset
                              Missouri Star
                              • May 2012

Eileen, Your memories got me thinking. Being the oldest of 7 I usually did the shopping for my sisters and myself, dresses and hats downtown where the big department stores were but I went to May's, sort like Kmart. Shoes up on the avenue, I had orders to get the least expensive ones and to ignore sister Louise's screams for the most expensive ones. My mother shopped for my brothers as they were easier to shop for.

Easter morning we walked to church. 9 o'clock mass for kids, ushers yelled at you if you went to a later mass. Back home we helped with dinner which was at 2pm, our only grandparent lived with us so we had holiday dinners at home. After dishes were done we hung out on our front stoop with friends admiring each others new outfits. As we grew older we'd go to the Botanical Gardens in Prospect Park where they had a beautiful Easter floral display in one of the hot houses. The gardens were miles away and by the time we got back home we often had blisters from walking in our new shoes. Next day we'd be back in the park dressed in old clothes and shoes and with younger brothers and sisters in tow. A box of Ritz crackers and our hard boiled Easter eggs was our lunch. Easter outfits were put away for wear on Sundays and special occasions.

Comment

Working...
                              X