PDA

View Full Version : Straight talk

Iris Girl
March 28th, 2015, 11:33 AM
Ok ladies and gents I figure this is the best place to get answers of any kind. Hope you all can help. We are thinking of giving up the landline and going to straight talk home phone system. I love the idea of only paying 15 bucks a month as opposed to what we now pay 45 bucks a month for nothing. We rarely if ever make long distance calls and when we do we use our cells. so 45 a month is a lot of money for nothing. With ST home system they transfer your existing number and you use prepaid cards.
Anyone use this system? do you like it? pros? cons?

Kajenkids
March 28th, 2015, 11:37 AM
I just gave up any kind of landline and use exclusively cell phones. Works for our family :-)

pcbatiks
March 28th, 2015, 11:52 AM
April........I'm not familiar with the details of the ST plan but will be curious to see what others think. We had the same large phone bill as you.

Iris Girl
March 28th, 2015, 12:00 PM
I just gave up any kind of landline and use exclusively cell phones. Works for our family :-)

Yeah we don't want to give up the home phone since we use that line for all purposes not personal. Like contacting utilities , doctors etc. Our cells are strictly for personal stuff. Just want to drop the huge bill for nothing. Its mostly taxes on top of taxes, city, local fcc, tax on tax ridiculous.

Midge
March 28th, 2015, 12:07 PM
I gave up the regular type landline at least 5 years ago when I switched from a feature phone to a smartphone. Have never regretted it. I live in a city though, where the cell service is very good. When I moved recently I had to change cable providers. I ended up getting their internet phone service because - get this - the package is cheaper with phone added in than for internet and cable TV alone. Hah! I haven't used it once. As long as you have decent cell coverage, landlines are a needless monthly expense imo.

easyquilts
March 28th, 2015, 12:15 PM
I switched to just my cell phone around a year ago, out of necessity.... I don't miss the house phone at all, except when I can't find my cell phone... I'm very careful to keep my phone charged up at all times, especially at night.

$45 is a lot if money in today's economy.... Just think of all the fabric you could buy with it!

GrammaBabs
March 28th, 2015, 12:19 PM
We have converted many of our friends to a "Trac Fone".. for us "retired people" it's worked just fine and the cost is peanuts... YES I am married to a "detail" guy who has no trouble keeping track of when to purchase "minutes", but there is an option of buying yearly... It's not right for some,,, but we have no need to be in constant contact with our family and friends... it's a matter of preference.. so for some it is a huge savings... Just my input..:)

Forgot to add we do have a package of internet,phone and TV that is way more than most people would ever pay, but TV is our major form of entertainment..LOL

Amy R
March 28th, 2015, 12:20 PM
Its worth a try if you still want a land line. If there's no contract and it's prepaid there's really no risk if you don't like it.

Iris Girl
March 28th, 2015, 12:56 PM
I appreciate all the input from everyone. I think we will give it a try. I just hate paying all that money fro nothing.

Grammababs we all have tracfones here and have no issue but use for personal use. Sometimes you still need a general phone since we are a family of 4. The ST homephone works the same way as a tracfone pay as you go.

katier825
March 28th, 2015, 01:00 PM
While I don't have the home phone service, I've used Straight Talk cell phones for the past several years. For the most part, it's been great. Decent prices for unlimited everything. Hubby and I both have cell phones, and we have rarely had any issues with service no matter where we go unless we are way out in the boonies with no cell towers. But they add new towers all the time, so it has improved over the years. The low prices and no contract were the key features to me. What I did was I overlapped it by keeping my original phones/Sprint service for a month while I tried out the Straight Talk. Once I was satisfied that would be ok with keeping Straight Talk, I canceled my Sprint.

My only complaint is their customer service...there are no "quick phone calls" to them. I've only really had 2 times with issues, but both did require lengthy calls and several reps to correct the issues. It's frustrating when you are going thru it, but with only 2 issues in several years, I guess that isn't too bad. In this day and age, all the companies seem to be outsourcing their customer service to foreign countries, so it can be a challenge to get someone you can understand.

Since you don't have to sign a contract, it's worth trying for a month to see if you like it. You can always just buy the pre-paid card to try it out and if you decide to keep it, you can sign up for autopay refill so there is no disruption in service.

Note: if you buy the system at Walmart, you can return it if you aren't happy! You can even return the cell phones if you don't like them after you have activated and tested them out.

shirleyknot
March 28th, 2015, 02:31 PM
Lucky folk you are! No wireless signal of any kind here. Had to get a satellite just for internet, since I don't do TV.

Vickie1965
March 28th, 2015, 06:12 PM
I have heard a lot of good things about Straight Talk, but I don't have it myself, so I can't help you out there.

Not much of a signal here, so I have a land line. I use Vonage and love it, it's under $20 a month and free long distance. A couple of other countries are included, but I haven't had to use that feature. Comes with a lot of features (call waiting, 3-way calling, voice mail to name a few) too that would be extra if I were to combine it with our tv and internet. We have prepaid cell phones, don't use them too much at all. DH has Tracfone and I have Tmobile. Best part with Tmobile, if you still have a lot of minutes left, you only need to buy $10.00 worth to hold you over for another year, once you're a gold member (spend $100 one time and you're a gold member for life)!

lilamath
March 28th, 2015, 10:46 PM
No cell service in our town. We have a cell phone for when we travel and go South for the winter. Our children feel they need to get in touch at all times. It is comforting knowing that I can do the same.

goofyizzy
March 28th, 2015, 11:56 PM
I haven't had a landline for many years. The only time a landline is needed around here is in the rare event of a power outage because the cell traffic gets congested and it's hard to get a call through. A landline would be good to have in case of emergency.

JCY
March 29th, 2015, 12:31 AM
We still have a landline. Also our internet provider is with the phone co., Century Link. I have no desire to give up my landline. I have an older model cell phone, which I carry in my purse just for emergencies. Most of the time, it's turned off. My GD lives in TX &has no cell service where they live & no land line. I rarely get to talk to her on the phone now unless she's out & about where she can pick up a signal.

Bjvarizona
March 29th, 2015, 12:37 AM
We have kept a landline just for the possibility of a national or even local disaster. If there are massive power outages, there would be no cell service. My hubby is concerned about these issues. Me? I'd rather save the money every month!

MayinJerset
March 29th, 2015, 03:36 AM
I'm with JCY, land phone and cells for emergency or when traveling, cell cost 30 per year and land is part of cable.
Family all use cells and text at all times. Problem is they keep their mail boxes filled and we always have to leave them a message,

Iris Girl
March 29th, 2015, 05:27 PM
:icon_bump::icon_bump::icon_bump::icon_bump:
Bumping in case anyone else has info on Straight talk home phone system

TRLSRL72
March 30th, 2015, 10:28 PM
I had ST as a cell phone for 3-4 years and it was great. As far as a land line please weigh out your pros and cons. Like a few have said they keep theirs in case of an emergency. (I have been working in a 911 comm center for 19 years). Companies like Voyage, any that are bundled thru your internet provider use what is called VoIP ( voice over internet protocol). What this means is if you have an emergency and dial 911 your call goes to a central answering service who then transfers your call to the correct ( not always if there are several towns named the same and a state is not specified) 911 center. Keep in mind A LOT of these calls come in on a regular line NOT 911, which means if a regular line is ringing and so is 911, your call will be placed on hold ( centers don't know you dialed 911 and was transferred) so the emergency line can be answered. Knowing all this I keep my landline. I don't like the bill, but I like having a piece of mind. Also when you call in from a landline and are unable to talk the 911's ANI/ALI screen should have all of your correct information so the dispatcher can get you help. Most of these others don't show up except for your phone number. Sorry for this being so lengthy. If you decide to go with ST home plan please remember if ever dialing 911 to give your FULL location so you can get the help you need in a timely manner.

Iris Girl
March 31st, 2015, 04:40 AM
Thank you Tracy this has been very helpful to me. I think for the time being we will keep our landline.

Blondie
March 31st, 2015, 06:34 AM
Ok ladies and gents I figure this is the best place to get answers of any kind. Hope you all can help. We are thinking of giving up the landline and going to straight talk home phone system. I love the idea of only paying 15 bucks a month as opposed to what we now pay 45 bucks a month for nothing. We rarely if ever make long distance calls and when we do we use our cells. so 45 a month is a lot of money for nothing. With ST home system they transfer your existing number and you use prepaid cards.
Anyone use this system? do you like it? pros? cons?

April, I have both Straight Talk and Basic Talk. Basic Talk for the house since it runs off the computer and the Straight Talk for the salon since there is not connection for internet there. We are happy with it so far which has been about 3 years. I have been trying to get my Mom to get it. Hard to convince the old gal that she can keep her number. It is a big savings and while sometimes the sound is rather tinny or waves in and out, it is not enough for me to be concerned with. Most of that I think is just the road we live on since our net kinda rolls and waves about. You won't regret it.