PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE ON MY SIS!

rebeccas-sewing
March 28th, 2015, 07:03 AM
I talked to my sister last night. The results are in from her Catscan. Fortunately, the cancer in her tongue has not spread into her throat. However, the lung shows some nodules. Don't know what that means but the doctor said it's not related to what's going on with her tongue. They'll take care of the tongue cancer first. She will then need more testing done on the lung. It's just incredible that this is happening to her. She has never smoked nor does she even drink. She will take an occasional glass of wine when out dining with others but that's only once in a blue moon. She's a very nervous person to begin with and quite a worrier so you can imagine the state she's in. It doesn't help that she's alone. She always looks at the glass half empty. She has been worrying about the tongue removal that needs to be done. Why the doctor didn't show her what he's going to do to begin with is beyond me. This visit he showed her a drawing of what he will do. It's not clear to me how much of her tongue will go but certainly not as much as she built up in her imagination. In her mind she was envisioning losing most of it. Not the case. He said he's had patients lose as much as half their tongue and it doesn't seem to impede their speech. Of course, I'm now very worried about this lung issue. She's not sleeping well and hasn't slept well for quite some time. I did some research on the problem. Hopefully, she'll try some of the suggestions to help in that department. Thank you for your prayers. I know you'll keep praying for us.

lapeoples
March 28th, 2015, 07:21 AM
Well, that's mixed news. Good news about her tongue. Sending positive vibes for her lungs.

Monique
March 28th, 2015, 08:45 AM
Rebecca, praying that all goes well.

Amy R
March 28th, 2015, 09:43 AM
My heart goes out to your sis and you. It seems so much harder when distance separates people!

The lung thing may be something simple that she's reacted to in the past.
Prayers go out for happy news and successful treatment.

songbird857
March 28th, 2015, 10:22 AM
Praying for your sis, Rebecca :)

sidesaddles
March 28th, 2015, 10:46 AM
I have a good friend that had cancer on her tongue and had partial removal. Believe me she can talk just fine.
that was 25 years ago, still going strong.

Bubby
March 28th, 2015, 11:09 AM
I will hold you and your sister close in prayer until this is resolved. This must be a very frightening time for her. She really needs your support now more than ever. I can't imagine being alone and having to go through something like this. (((HUGS)))

ceiliam
March 28th, 2015, 11:21 AM
Prayers and hugs to both you and sister. I am sorry the distance is hard, and she is scared to death

Granny Fran
March 28th, 2015, 11:23 AM
Rebecca, this is classified as a Head and Neck cancer. I know because I had it seven years ago. Started with a lump in the lymph gland in my neck and when the biopsy showed it had spread I just couldn't believe it either. Not a drinker/smoker either and it is rare for women. In my case I told DH that the cancer gods thought I was a guy (Frances being my name). LOL

The surgeon told me I would need a "little" radiation and sent me to an oncologist. He went on and on about radiation, chemo, etc, and DH asked "what stage are we talking about?" After I heard stage 4, everything became a fog, so I know how your sister is feeling. My cancer had metastasized to the lymphs and if they had not swollen I would never have known til too late for treatment.

Believe me the best thing is to get into a support group ASAP. This will help tremendously as no one will understand better than fellow survivors what you are going through. The surgery and treatments are so much better than years and years ago when it was so disfiguring. There is life after cancer, just a new normal is all.

I won't go into all the details cause everyone's treatment plan may be different, but I did have a feeding tube (not as scary as it sounds) and you know who your friends are when they gift you a case of Insure! The speech therapy after is to teach swallowing techniques more than anything and believe me it makes a difference. Remember: New Normal.

Tell your sis that she is in good company and the survival rate is great. The nodules on the lung will be assessed and not to worry, many of us had this as well.

Sending positive and healing thoughts to your sis and your family. She will need you as a strong support system will make healing so much better. Keep smiling as a sense of humor will be essential.

SallyO'Sews
March 28th, 2015, 12:20 PM
Praying for healing for your sister, and peace all around! Hugs and blessings, ~ Sally \0/

easyquilts
March 28th, 2015, 01:16 PM
My heart goes out yo both of you, you.... Your sister must be so worried, and I don't blame her...I would be worried, too. Prayers for both of you...

Judy, USMC
March 28th, 2015, 04:32 PM
My SIL was informed that she has this type of cancer last September. The oncologist advised her about treatment ... but she opted to refuse treatment because the surgery sounded too radical. I regret that she did not get a second opinion from a doctor who had a more positive way of presenting a treatment plan.

My heart goes out to your sister. It will be a long road but luckily there have been great medical advances. There are pain management and anti-anxiety meds that are invaluable to help with her well-being. The toughest part is getting over the initial shock of the diagnosis. Yes, there will be a new-normal but at least she will have many more tomorrows with treatment.

Prayers and hugs to everyone! It's times like this that family support is important...

mommamarsh
March 29th, 2015, 12:39 AM
Praying and sending good thoughts for you all . I hope she can find a support group .

Simply Quilting
March 29th, 2015, 01:01 AM
Praying for your sister.

jjkaiser
March 29th, 2015, 01:06 AM
This has got to be so hard on you too. It sounds like you are a very rational, let's take it one step at a time kind of person who will be a big help to your sister.It's only natural for her to be freaking out but her high anxiety level can't be good, affecting sleeping, eating and overall depression. Maybe the doctor can give her something to calm her down a little to help her through this tough decision making process. Good luck to you both in entering the cancer treatment maze. My thoughts are with you, and all of us on the forum are here for you whenever you need to vent.

MayinJerset
March 29th, 2015, 03:24 AM
0H REBECCA WHAT A WORISOME TIME FOR YOUR SISTER AND YOU, MY PRAYERS FOR SUCESSFUL TREATMENT,105589

rebeccas-sewing
March 29th, 2015, 07:54 AM
Thanks so much for all your kind words and good advice. It's appreciated more than you know.

auntiemern
March 29th, 2015, 09:52 PM
Hugs for you and your sis. Prayers going up as well. I can't imagine being that far away during this time. It has to be hard on both of you.

goofyizzy
March 30th, 2015, 02:32 AM
So sorry to read about your sister. Sending positive, healing thoughts your way.

GuitarGramma
March 30th, 2015, 02:45 AM
Oh, Rebecca, I'm so sorry to hear this. I'll be praying for your sister.

WendyI
March 30th, 2015, 09:54 AM
I'm so sorry to hear that there may be other issues with your sister. I sure hope it's nothing serious. How far away is she from you? Are you able to go visit her at all or be with her during this time? I know family support is so important. And I agree that finding a support group is imperative. It has helped me so incredibly much to have developed new supports in my life! She needs that to help her through this. And maybe you too, although you always have us of course! Sending lots of healing thoughts and love your way! xoxo