PDA

View Full Version : Paducah Trip - Excitement is building!

tamsterg7
March 28th, 2015, 01:00 AM
I scheduled 2 days off to make a trip to South Dakota to spend Mothers weekend with our son. He hasn't seemed very excited, and I finally got him to admit he didn't want me to drive 11 hrs each way just for a weekend, and then come back 3 weeks

So, plan B is weekend with our daughter in Paducah! We are staying in the lovely little cabins @ Kentucky Lake Resort, which is only a short drive away. I scored the Fishermans special -a two bedroom, full kitchen cabin for $49.00/night. (I am fishing for quilty stuff). It is looking like rain part of the time, but we are planning to go to the quilt museum, and the riverwalk, and of course Hancocks.

The reason for this trip is my daughter made her first quilt and needs backing. This child hates to sew - made a dress for a sorority dance using duck tape (nope, not kidding). She had a pile of college t-shirts and wanted to makea quilt, but wanted to do it herself, with me just 'telling her how'. She cut them, fussed, squared them, cussed, interfaced, cussed some more, and left them in my sewing room for a year. I asked several times if she wanted me to finish it.....
Finally, she spent a weekend hogging my machine, iron, etc., and pieced them. Told me this is a ridiculous amount of work, why do you give your quilts away? Anyhow, she is excited to buy the backing and then - I am going to have to suck it up and let her use my Tiara to quilt it. I am really going to have to talk myself into this, because it's not just a sewing machine....Iam hoping she will let me do the quilting! But for now I am excited about our trip and Hancocks, because I love their wide selection of backings!

MRoy
March 28th, 2015, 01:35 AM
If you get a chance, you might want to check out the restaurant at Patti's 1880 Settlement (http://www.pattis1880s.com/) in Grand Rivers. Your lodging is fairly close to Grand Rivers.

Sandy Navas
March 28th, 2015, 11:20 AM
Tammy, we need to wear our I Love Missouri Star shirts or something.

Li'l Sis and are will be attending 4 days. There are a couple friends from our quilt guild who will also be going. I'm anxious to see all of Paducah since I've never been!

Sis is making a list of things she needs and I don't have a clue. What I really need is to make several tops and use up some of my stash I've been hanging onto.

tamsterg7
March 28th, 2015, 11:24 AM
Myrna - Patti's is so good! I love the steaks there, and am always to full for dessert! If we don't break my bank at the fabric stores I might treat her to that too. Great idea!

tamsterg7
March 28th, 2015, 11:28 AM
Sandy - I might wear my t-shirt if it warms up by the end of this week - it's cold here today! Sounds like you are going for the quilt week (wish I could go back for that too). I have been once, and it was so fun. The quilts are just amazing and so many vendors. Wear comfortabl shoes and take a tote bag to put all your purchases in - and of course a camera to show us everything you see and buy!

Tammy, we need to wear our I Love Missouri Star shirts or something.

Li'l Sis and are will be attending 4 days. There are a couple friends from our quilt guild who will also be going. I'm anxious to see all of Paducah since I've never been!

Sis is making a list of things she needs and I don't have a clue. What I really need is to make several tops and use up some of my stash I've been hanging onto.

Sylvia H
March 28th, 2015, 11:58 AM
LOL at the story of your daughter's quilting experiences! This will certainly be a fun trip, and what a score you made on your accomodations.

mpattylou
March 28th, 2015, 09:18 PM
If you want to go to Patti's you better call ahead for reservations....or be willing to wait a long time.

tamsterg7
March 29th, 2015, 01:24 AM
If you want to go to Patti's you better call ahead for reservations....or be willing to wait a long time.

I thought of that today. We were going to make ourselves a nice steak dinner, because there is a grill on a lovely patio, but the rain forecast is 80 percent now. I think I will just go ahead and make a reservation and we can relax after all the fabric overload.

Bubby
March 29th, 2015, 07:46 AM
Patti's is a wonderful place to eat. Enjoy your time in Paducah. Allow about 2 hours for the museum. Hancock's is a fabulous place for quilters!!